PDA

View Full Version : O-Course

BaronVonFarlon
03-20-11, 08:50 AM
This wannabe recently got the opportunity to try a Marine O-course and got dominated by it. I was wondering if anyone could share information on the obstacle course at PI. Do the D.I.'s work with you on it? Does one get a large amount of time to train on it? The issue isn't strength or physical ability, it is a simple lack of confidence due to an irrational fear of heights/falling. It is impossible to find obstacle courses for civilian use and this wannabe was wondering if there are any tips on preparing for the O-course at home.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-20-11, 08:56 AM
Your Drill Instructors will have you more scared of them than you are of heights. So, I am confident you will do well on the "O" course. The key is tecnique. Talk with the kids fresh out of boot camp and ask them for any advice they may have.

This is very important: What you tell yourself you can or cannot do is exactly how you will perform. Take "can't" out of your vocabulary and go over in your head each obstacle and see yourself overcoming each obstacle.

Covey_Rider
03-20-11, 10:16 AM
They will mentor and assist you in the exact way that you need to be mentored and assisted. :)

Covey_Rider
03-20-11, 10:17 AM
Oh, and no you will not have time to train for it. You merely go and accomplish the tasks that are presented to you.

wilsontc11
03-20-11, 12:02 PM
The O-Course isnt bad when it comes to heights. Im afraid of heights too, and theo nly thing that really bothers me is the rope climb at the end. Now if you're talking about the confidence course, theres the A Frame which is ****ing gay. aswell as the stairway to heaven. All you have to do is do those obstacles once and over come your fear, then it will be cake after that. (I was afraid of heights too)

GunRock0811
03-20-11, 10:52 PM
The O-course gets easier each time you do it. You'll be alright.

MarinesFTW
03-21-11, 02:17 PM
We ran the O-Course I think 5 seperate times through out boot camp. I myself am not a fan of heights, or was never very good at climbing a rope, but lets put it this way. The first time we ran it, which was the friday after pickup, I went through it all just fine and when it came to the rope, I said F it and climb up the sucker all the way to the top. Now when you go up a rope, you have to come down. I suggest you go down a rope the correct way, nice and slow. I was at the very top, yelling what ever it was we were suppose to, my foot slipped, I held onto the rope for dear life, and fell ALL THE WAY down holding the rope. Lets say I wasn't the only one to do it, but all the other kids let go, I wanted to hold on to see if I'd slow down. Well you dont, and you will mess your hands up REALLY good. I was on light duty for a week, and it took about 3 total weeks for them to heal all the way. The Docs at medical actually debated sending me back a cycle just so my hands could heal fully, which I fought and won. The next time we ran it (the day I got off light duty) I went at it with the same attitude. I climbed to the top, said my little chant and came down with blood covered hands from all the wounds reopening. Its not that hard, and with all the instructors and fellow recruits around you, your going to be just fine. If you dont make it to the top make it a goal to do it next time. Dont be scared, and dont lose your nerve, in all honesty, the little padding they put under the ropes is actually a really soft landing. I saw alot of recruits fall, nothing bad happened to any of them. You'll survive with a little heart and motovation.

Semper Fi

afraziaaaa
03-21-11, 02:49 PM
This wannabe recently got the opportunity to try a Marine O-course and got dominated by it. I was wondering if anyone could share information on the obstacle course at PI. Do the D.I.'s work with you on it? Does one get a large amount of time to train on it? The issue isn't strength or physical ability, it is a simple lack of confidence due to an irrational fear of heights/falling. It is impossible to find obstacle courses for civilian use and this wannabe was wondering if there are any tips on preparing for the O-course at home.

Do burpies until you puke, then do some more. You'll have no problems with the O-Course after that.