PDA

View Full Version : No fly zone activated

USNAviator
03-19-11, 12:31 PM
French President Nicolas Sarkozy says allied warplanes are flying over Libya to enforce a no-fly zone and protect civilians in the city of Benghazi, where forces loyal to leader Moammar Gadhafi have been bearing down on rebels trying to bring down his government.

U.S. President Barack Obama confirmed a short time later that the United States has joined a coalition with its European and Arab partners to take action in Libya.

Obama spoke to reporters during his visit to Brazil. He said the allied coalition's "resolve is clear," and that all members are "prepared to act with urgency."

Sarkozy announced the military action Saturday in Paris, where representatives of the U.N., European Union, Arab and Western powers gathered for an emergency summit on the Libyan crisis.

President Sarkozy said the leaders agreed to use all necessary means - including military force - to carry out a U.N. Security Council resolution approved on Thursday. The Council declared a no-fly zone over Libya and specifically authorized world powers to use "all measures necessary" to protect civilians.

USNAviator
03-19-11, 02:25 PM
French war planes pounded Libyan targets Saturday evening, the first foreign strikes enforcing a United Nations "no-fly" zone over Libya, following an emergency international summit in Paris earlier in the day.

A French military spokesman said his forces targeted a vehicle that was threatening civilians in Libya. But news reports say the French fighters destroyed four Libyan tanks near the eastern rebel stronghold of Benghazi.

Gunz
03-19-11, 03:02 PM
U.S. Tomahawk Cruise Missiles Hit Targets in Libya.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/libya-international-military-coalition-launch-assault-gadhafi-forces/story?id=13174246

EGTSpec
03-19-11, 03:35 PM
Yep, as usual, the American Tax Payer, and our Military will end up footing the bill for the rest of the worlds BS.

DocGreek
03-19-11, 05:42 PM
:evilgrin:...."From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli....."
All of you active and reserve Marines better make out your WILL's, and sign up for the 10K insurance.
"First to go, last to know!"......:evilgrin:

EGTSpec
03-19-11, 05:50 PM
Waiting for the Obamabots to blame this one on Bush.

Gunz
03-19-11, 06:00 PM
:evilgrin:...."From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli....."
All of you active and reserve Marines better make out your WILL's, and sign up for the 10K insurance.
"First to go, last to know!"......:evilgrin:

10K ? We have 400K now.

Garcia90
03-20-11, 03:50 AM
I fail to understand how Libya's situation anyway involves the United States or European Union. I also find it odd that we finally decide to aid the opposition only after Gaddafi had gained the upper hand. The legality of this situation is a complete mess. I think we should have listened to China and Russia on this one and kept our heads out of it.

EGTSpec
03-20-11, 04:13 AM
I fail to understand how Libya's situation anyway involves the United States or European Union. I also find it odd that we finally decide to aid the opposition only after Gaddafi had gained the upper hand. The legality of this situation is a complete mess. I think we should have listened to China and Russia on this one and kept our heads out of it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Couldn't agree more. Since when is leveling the playing field our responsibility? If you use the excuse Oturd is using, (I.E. the Libian Military has supperior weapons) then we should not be using most of our weapons in AssCrackistan. His line of thnking leads to it's not fair that we have better weapons than Al Queda.

Covey_Rider
03-20-11, 07:05 AM
I'm kind of "in between" on this situation. One part of me thinks that Obama is merely looking to make a name for himself during his presidency and that we should merely watch this one from the sidelines. The other part of me thinks that hitting them with Tomahawks is the correct step in giving the "rebels" a better chance...that perhaps it's the right thing to do. If we don't assist in some fashion, then Gadhafi will most definitely have every person who apposed him killed. Hell, we can't very well let the French out-do us now can we haha.

manilalaguna29
03-20-11, 07:44 AM
It is about time the Europeans stepped up to the plate, this one is in their back yard. We don't need to get involved in another pile of crap in the middle east. We continue to get involved in these things where we really have no national interest. The national deficit in February was $222 billion. We need to get into the mode where we make our objections known and that's it. The interest on the national debt went from $.32 to $.42 per dollar spent by the federal government. Some big changes need to be made which doesn't mean we get involved with every problem in the world.

Vandrel
03-20-11, 08:07 AM
Up for reelection soon, expect to see something like this:

"Remember Libya? See, I have balls, I did something!"

EGTSpec
03-20-11, 08:14 AM
Up for reelection soon, expect to see something like this:

"Remember Libya? See, I have balls, I did something!"Yeah, during his grandstanding/photo Op/campaign speech yesterday he said about Libya, quote, "Actions have consequences". Well I say back to him, remember that little ditty when we vote your sorry azz out in the next election.