PDA

View Full Version : The Long Road

Bagwell916
03-18-11, 09:21 AM
For anyone that is currently working on getting into the Delayed Entry Program and for some reason has not been able to make it in, stay on the path to becoming a Marine. No matter what happens, if you the will power to push for your goals, you'll make it. Here's how I did it and I'll keep it short. In addition, if anyone else has a story about how much they've gone through to make it into the Delayed Entry Program or to the point of graduating boot camp, feel free to share.

Since starting school, I was a Straight A Student. I breezed through classes. By Freshman year of high school in the first semester, I was a 4.0 student preparing for college. Somewhere in that semester, I got burnt out. I started ditching classes, trouble with cops, teachers, party's, and I even lost my spot as the Freshman Class President due to poor grades. I was a great student turned complete **** up and going no where.

Somewhere between the start of my dumb mistakes and Junior Year, I had talked with a Recruiter about the Marine Corps. I had always had the Military in the back of my mind and completely felt that I could see myself as a Marine.. So, I decided I was going to do it. Problem was, by Junior Year, I was so far back in High School credits and graduation requirements, I was a Recruiter's worst nightmare. I started going to PT and learning all I could about the Marine Corps. My then Recruiter got me hooked up with a school that I could quickly finish my High School credits in and get a ship date, but the school was out of my district. Ended up going for 3 weeks and I was kicked out of the school for not being within their boundaries, after taking the last 5 months just to get into the school to start and working with the Marine Corps at the Recruiter's Office for almost a year. I lost all motivation at that point that I might had to ship out to Boot Camp any time soon. I told every Recruiter that day, in the Recruiter's Office that I would no longer be coming to PT or any other Poolee function's until I figured out what I was going to do. I was Sixteen then.

I dropped out of High School. I did nothing with my life from the age of Sixteen to August of last year. I enrolled in a Community College, took 15 Units and in December, I contacted that same Recruiting Office and let them know that I was ready. I was in the office that day and I made it to MEPS 1 month later. I'm now DEP'd in and contracted as a PFC, with Combat Support as my MOS and I'm on my way to becoming a United States Marine..

For anyone that thinks they have road blocks in their way or people stopping them from becoming a Marine.. Don't let anyone tell you No and don't let anyone take it away from you. It's you against the world. Best of luck to the rest of you Poolees in Boot Camp and I wish the best to those currently working on getting into the Delayed Entry Program. No matter how long it takes, when you finally get that Blue Shirt and an Official Ship Date.. There's no words to describe how awesome it feels.

ChrrySkoal
03-18-11, 11:17 AM
when you finally get that Blue Shirt and an Official Ship Date.. There's no words to describe how awesome it feels.

100% agree right here! I shook a little after and couldn't get a sentence out without sounding like a retard! haha:D

AlexJH
03-18-11, 01:44 PM
Really? I was p*ssed off and wanted to go home and sleep after I swore in. In typical MEPS fashion I sat in a f*cking chair for literally 8 hours waiting for some lazy doc to look at me for 10 seconds to make sure nothing had changed for me physically.

Saying "so help me god" was kinda cool, but then i was still tired hungry and p*ssed off.. and had to wait another 3 hours waiting for the liasons to unf*ck my paperwork.

ChrrySkoal
03-18-11, 03:51 PM
Really? I was p*ssed off and wanted to go home and sleep after I swore in. In typical MEPS fashion I sat in a f*cking chair for literally 8 hours waiting for some lazy doc to look at me for 10 seconds to make sure nothing had changed for me physically.

Saying "so help me god" was kinda cool, but then i was still tired hungry and p*ssed off.. and had to wait another 3 hours waiting for the liasons to unf*ck my paperwork.

Yah all that was retared my buddy that I went up with said MEPS is basiclly DMV for people I thought it was all worth it at the end though. I had to wait like 4 hours before I went in for the interview and the dang TV had sports center playing the samething over and over. I still remember some of the highlights blah

Nerd
03-19-11, 03:06 AM

Every single last post I've ever read that you've posted has led me to believe that you have the WORST attitude of any poolee on the face of this earth