PDA

View Full Version : Everyday is Saturday

Sparrowhawk
10-12-03, 05:41 PM
Everyday is Saturday

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/Saturday.gif

Reflections of Marine Corps Life

Saturday mornings in boot camp were special, the weeks activities were beginning to wind down, and even the D.I.’s seemed to be in a better mood.

Still there were of course some Saturdays that were just as full of activities as the other days of the week. Still on most Saturday’s the base slowed down, it was the beginning of preparing for some down time Sunday morning brought.

All my life I have worked. From age 13, I mowed yawns in the neighborhood for a few bucks that got me into the movie theater in down town Casa Grande, Arizona where I grew up. I remember the sign at the entrance to the city that read; “Welcome to Casa Grande an all American city.”

Boy, we need those types of signs around today. In South El Monte, a small town just a few miles east of Los Angeles, California the population there has become so inundated with Orientals, that the city streets are filled with non-English signs and businesses where an English sign is non-existent. Someone several years ago had a bumper sticker made up that read; “Will the last American to leave El Monte, please take the flag down.”

Our nation has changed, as has the Marine Corps. As I approach my 55 birthday a day after the Corps birthday I realized I have lived a full life. I’ve accomplished things other can only dream about. The Marine Corps of course helped shape me into the individual I am today, as it has all of us here.

Still I can’t help but to feel that I have lived on borrowed time. I should have been killed in the rice paddies of South East Asia, several times in 1967-1968. Some Marines didn’t get the chance to enjoy the life their sacrifices allowed me to have, so in a way I’ve also felt that I owe them that life, to enjoy life for them as if they were at my side.

Over the next few months or at least for a while I want to share with you here some of my experiences, a journey through what we call life. Maybe it’ll help some of you, maybe not. Maybe you’ll see yourself in the shoes I have walked in, or perhaps I have walked in some of your shoes. I may have even steps on some of the brass some Marines here left behind in the jungles of Vietnam.

I retired on July 4th 1992 from work, and while I had planned to start another career, that never happened. So I’ve learned to enjoy life, enjoy what I have and to be satisfied with what life has given me.

“Don’t sweat the small stuff,” is a popular saying, but hey, who ever said, that hadn’t gotten around to see the small things a Marine with time on his hands can get into. LOL

I hope you enjoys these posts, and feel free to join the “Everyday is Saturday” club, admission is free, as Marines we have already paid the price.

Semper Fi, Bros

Cook Barela

thedrifter
10-12-03, 06:59 PM
I don't have the flare that you have in writing Cook....but I will join in the Club.....

You can say even as a kid most of us looked foward to Saturdays...The one day of the week we could sleep in...and maybe relax a little and have a little fun...before the new week started our next level in our life...

I too worked when I was young.......I was a deliveryboy for a small corner grocery store when I was 13, lasted a few months, new laws said I needed to be at least 14..........Did help my friends out with their paper routes(but never could really get into it)........Don't laugh but I was an AltarBoy, almost became a priest but two things happened...........GIRLS AND THE MARINE CORPS........

Joined the Marine Corps Reserve the summer before my Senior year in High School...........Saturday once a month was special, had to attend the monthly drill...........Hated losing my saturday's off so after I Graduated High School, I went active and stayed in.........Cook was right you always looked forward to saturdays as start of time off to relax and enjoy your life, that is unless you had duty........LOL

Saturday is special as I get more time to spend with my family and we still manage to do things together every so often on saturdays.

Looking forward to when everyday is saturday, but I just know that Ellie will find things for me to do........LOL

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Sparrowhawk
10-13-03, 08:54 AM
Dropped off one of my daughters at he train station and will drop off the other in about an hour, then I'm thinking of dropping by at Starbucks for a fresh cup of coffee and to visit with the folks that come in and sit down to chat for awhile.

Dave Barnes a local newspaper reporter and Vietnam vet (army) shows up for a cup as does Stan Boda, (Navy) both in Vietnam 1968-69.

Gosh darn that drifter posted that news story about the Navy docking in Vietnam and that brought back a lot of memories.

The smell, sounds and feeling of complete helplessness at times. But Marines were always there at your side and you knew things were going to be all right.

I guess that's why I come here to read and feel at home among Marines.

Anyways I post this response to the tread drifter posted

U.S. Navy will make port call in Vietnam

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=48866#post48866

Funny how little headlines can trigger up embedded thoughts, that lay buried deep within our minds in little chambers we never want to visit.

Brings back a lot of memories of Marines I have met in life. I've have met a lot of folks in this world we call earth but its only here and those I served with in Nam that I can find true friends that can be trusted and worth listening to. I guess that why it irritates me so much when a job is never finished, done right or when one of our own does something wrong that brings discredit to the Corps in one way or another.

Too many of us paid a price for that honor.

You all take it easy today, the calendar may say its Monday, but for Marines everyday is Saturday.

Semper Fi Marines

Cook

MillRatUSMC
10-13-03, 09:31 AM
Drifter, I won't laugh, if you don't laugh!!!
I too, was an Altar Boy, till I transfer to public school from Catholic school.
When I was in the 5th grade.
I remember working all my life.
In my grandma's house, everyone did their share and contribute their fair share.
Cut grass for a doctor.
Pior to that I shined shoes for a quarter.
At that time we also worked on a produce truck, in the summer.
Remembering the owner of that truck telling us to fill the bottom with produce that was a "bit stale".
For our friends, we fill the bag with good produce all the away up.
When I was fourteen years old, I was working in a body shop along with a friend.
We both enlisted in the Marine Corps but at different times.
1958, there was four us from East Chicago, Indiana on Okinawa.
I wonder how it survived?
After the Marine Corps, I worked in the steelmills for 31 years.
28 years as a weldor/supervisior.
Till I retired 5 years ago.
So I worked most of what we call life.
Even now, I'm still working around the house.
No rest for these old bones...
Have to go along you, on little things bring back memories.

Semper Fi
Ricardo

thedrifter
10-13-03, 10:30 AM
It's Monday already...Seems to go by faster and faster....LOL
Monday is usually busy with me, playing catch up, from the weekend work activity which continues....and some of us get a break....I was on duty...so my break will come this week....

Watching my 4 adult children...on Mondays is always an adventure....After having the weekend off....the sudden shock of going back to reality....Can bring some funny situations......

MillRat..I won't laugh....It was one of our stepping stones in life...Which gave me the guideness during those difficult times that came during my life.....

Cook some memories we try to keep bottled up....Others...we can talk about.....Good or Bad...We Never Forget....They are as real as if we are re-living it over and over again in our heads.....

I do agree....with you Cook....coming here and sharing our stories, and having fun with other Marines.... Is a good way to work with and, to help each other try to heal our wounds.....
The comfort of Family being Home......

Well All Have A Good Day

Sempers,

Roger

Red Dragon
10-13-03, 01:38 PM
As a youngster remember looking forward to saturday morning. Just had to watch my cartoons for a couple of hours before I had to do my chores. Those were the days.LOL

We all have our memories, some are good, some are bad. Then we have what we learned, what we did, whom we met, from the Marine Corps. As The Drifter, Sparrowhawk and Shaffer have said many times, this is our Home away from Home. Just being here with our Fellow Marines makes it special. Whether we be serious or joking around with each other, makes us all glad we are here. Don't have as much time as I would like to spend on here, but looking forward to the time when everyday is saturday.

Red Dragon aka HL

Sparrowhawk
10-13-03, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't stand still in class so the nuns never recommended me toward that position but they did talk me into being a school crossing guard. Had the white belt across the chest and everything. Do remember stopping traffic so the girls could cross.

Probably one of the reasons I became a cop after all, I had all that training at handling traffic...LOL

Had a girl in fourth grade that sat in front of me, who took her pencil in her right hand and jammed me in my right knee with it. The lead broke off. Don't remember what I did, probably pulled her ponytail. Still have that piece of lead in my knee.

Wonder what ever happened to her, she was a feisty one...

Osotogary
10-13-03, 08:38 PM
There was nothing worse as an alterboy than seeing peoples tongues early in the morning as communion was taking place. Yuk!! And for those folks, among the faithful, that were catching some shut eye during mass, the same mass that I had to get up very early to serve, I made sure that I shook the bells for an extended period of time so that they could enjoy the sacraments as I was. LOL.
Latin? What made the nuns think that a sixth grader could learn to serve mass and learn the latin replies in 2 hours? I believe I broke every rule in the book as I served mass the next day and it had to be a mass given in the nuns chapel exclusively for nuns at 05:30 AM. I'm lucky that I'm still alive.

Sparrowhawk
10-14-03, 08:49 AM
Osotogary

There was nothing worse as an alterboy than seeing peoples tongues early in the morning as communion was taking place.

No wonder you're a cartoonist. LOL

Sparrowhawk
10-14-03, 08:52 AM
Morning Folks

Just made a fresh pot of coffee, sitting back typing a few words and listening to the news. Daughter took herself to the train station this morning, the other one made other arrangements, so today I'm home alone (ain't that nice? :) )

Of course that means I'm home without a car :)

I'll have my wife on her way to work, drop me off at Starbucks which is only a few blocks from here and since its Tuesday, I'll sit and enjoy the two dailies, and read the New York Times until about 8:00.

Tuesdays always remind me of Wimpy the cartoon character in the Popeye comic Stripe. Wimpy who would betray his friends in exchange for promises of food or safety, he was forever borrowing the price of a hamburger, promising to pay back the lender on Tuesday. “I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today,” was one of his famous sayings as was, “Gentlemen, you know the rules--there are no rules. This is a fight to the finish. The first man who's dead loses.”

http://www.theneitherworld.com/popeye/wimpy/pics/mooch1.gif

At 8:00 about five old timers began to come into Starbucks. One day one of them came in and saw a pretty lady sitting talking with me. When she left, he made a comment about how good-looking she was, and I mentioned she was my secretary, and from then on, they started joining me. One by one they started coming in, they have all known each other for years. They are in their late 60's, early 70's and colorful. Tuesday is their Saturday.

We sit and talk about politics, religion, women, horses, old cars and what not. I think over the past two years we have solved what is wrong with the world several times over, but we never do anything about it because when a nice good looking women comes in they forget all about what we were talking about, and talk about her for the next 10-15 minutes. Then another one comes in and it starts up all over again, until one of them has to leave because he has a doctor's appointment or one has to go to the dentist. LOL

Think I'll write a sit-com about their lives and how they view the world and how they judge people that come into Starbucks.

The show would start, with them sitting talking and when a person comes in and they would talk about them and who they are judging them according to their mannerisms, what they order and how they dress. The show would then go on to tell the true story of that individual and every week a new episode would be about the five old men and the people they judge, good or bad.

They remind me of the Old Vietnamese civilians that used to sit along side village roads or along Convoy Road that ran between Da Nang and Liberty Bridge. They would just sit there and talk while chewing on beetle nut.

They just sat there in their own corner of the world, chewing and talking, indifferent to the world and the war going on all around them. They just talked and chewed because that was what was important then.

I guess to them, Everyday was Saturday, you all take care today.

thedrifter
10-14-03, 10:05 AM
It's Tuesday....The house is quiet....Only Ellie and I are home...since all the kids left for work.....I can't say too quiet since the phone is always ringing off the hook in my house...and when the kids are home......forget trying to call me....You need to make appointments to talk to me....LOL.....

Everyday is different for me....Being a Sr Tech....in the Electronic/Electrical Field....I never know what I will be doing....Sometimes I need to go on a call....other days...I can sit back and work on the boards ....that need to be fixed....Today I can sit back and relax and fix some boards....and bother Ellie..;)...but I do have to watch that I don't bug her too much because she will hit back and not give me any more coffee....LOL.....

I will be stepping out a little later today...to enjoy this bright fall day.....we have...since they are calling for a storm this evening...which will bring back the rain with the temperatures dropping.....and getting cooler....Well I guess I will be snuggling next to Ellie tonight.....LOL..

Cook my favorite comic...is Snoopy....Always enjoyed him fighting the Red Baron......

All Have A Good Day......

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
10-14-03, 12:53 PM
Now, I know what to get you for Christmas.

Heck, why wait for Christams, I'll just e-mail it to you...LOL

http://www.wildties.com/vimages/ties/AD550058L.jpg

kubba
10-15-03, 03:59 PM
Just thinking while I was reading these post and how we all seam to travel in the same direction. Except for being an alter boy, started working young, joined the corp on reserve status my senior year. Two weeks after graduation I was at PI.
52 years young now and only regret is I did not get to hit the patties with my brother Marines in Nam. Did get out when ever I could which was not often. So for this I am sorry.
Plan on working as long as I can and then I plan to die at age 100.
This is a great place for Marines to hang and I do not get here as often as I want. You guys and gals are great and it is my honor to be here with you.
God bless our fallen brothers and sisters.
The one thing I remember the most is that the only color in the corp for everyone was green. And as some may remember that was not easy in the 70's. Now I am starting to ramble gonna go.
Stan:marine: :banana:

Sparrowhawk
10-15-03, 04:46 PM
Cleaning out my office in the afternoon, enjoy doing both. One of these Saturdays I'm gona get organized.

Started reading a book today. James Bradley's new book, "Flyboys."

I don't read many books, hardly any that are fiction, the non-fiction I do read, I read because of the author’s style and what the story is all about. I guess they also have changed my life and how I look at things.

When I was in high school my art teacher Karen Kuykendale gave me a book to read, "The Illusionless Man, by Allen Wheelis, its still around. The book was the source of Crazy Guilt, a movie released in 1966, which I have never seen.

I used part of that book on my first wife when we were married, when she said, we'll always be together, and I answered, "In our community, age, and economic bracket we have a 47.3% chance of staying together two months." We lasted two weeks before we were apart.

When I came back from Vietnam, I read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West,” and "Black Like Me," I think I may have been dating a hippie about that time, but they influence my mind in how I saw things from another’s perspective.

Then, it was, “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” that captured my attention. Tortilla Flat was next, I believed both of those books helped me escape into a different world, a break from the memories of Vietnam.

A few more books followed and most recently I read, Bradley's book, "Flag of our Father's.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0553111337.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

James Bradley is the son of Iwo Jima flag raiser John Bradley. After his father's death James discovered three boxes of memories his father had saved about Iwo Jima, which launched James on a quest to find more about his father's past and the past of the other five flag raisers. The result is The New York Times #1 Best-seller FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS.

One of those young Americans was John Bradley, a Navy corpsman who a few days before had braved enemy mortar and machine-gun fire to administer first aid to a wounded Marine and then drag him to safety. For this act of heroism Bradley would receive the Navy Cross, an award second only to the Medal of Honor.
Bradley, who died in 1994, never mentioned his feat to his family. Only after his death did Bradley's son James begin to piece together the facts of his father's heroism, which was but one of countless acts of sacrifice made by the young men who fought at Iwo Jima. Flags of Our Fathers recounts the sometimes tragic life stories of the six men who raised the flag that February day--one an Arizona Indian who would die following an alcohol-soaked brawl, another a Kentucky hillbilly, still another a Pennsylvania steel-mill worker--and who became reluctant heroes in the bargain. A strongly felt and well-written entry in a spate of recent books on World War II, Flags gives a you-are-there depiction of that conflict's horrible arenas--and a moving homage to the men whom fate brought there. --Gregory McNamee

In, “Flyboys: A True Story of Courage,” the book focuses on a small group of men: nine American Navy and Marine aviators who were shot down off the Japanese-held island of Chichi Jima in February 1945.
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6600000/6606121.gif

All of them were eventually executed by the Japanese; several of the guilty parties were tried and condemned as war criminals. When the book keeps its eye on the aviators-growing up under a variety of conditions before the war, entering service, serving as the U. S. Navy's spearhead aboard the fast carriers, or facing captivity and death-it is as compelling as its predecessor.

From the Publisher
Flyboys is the true story of young American airmen who were shot down over Chichi Jima. Eight of these young men were captured by Japanese troops and taken prisoner. Another was rescued by an American submarine and went on to become president. The reality of what happened to the eight prisoners has remained a secret for almost 60 years. After the war, the American and Japanese governments conspired to cover up the shocking truth. Not even the families of the airmen were informed what had happened to their sons. It has remained a mystery—until now. Critics called James Bradley's last book "the best book on battle ever written." Flyboys is even better: more ambitious, more powerful, and more moving. On the island of Chichi Jima those young men would face the ultimate test. Their story—a tale of courage and daring, of war and of death, of men and of hope—will make you proud, and it will break your heart.

I saw both books, Flags of our fathers and flyboys available at Amazon.com for $35.64

While I am somewhat critical of the beginning part of the book, I know I will enjoy it, since I have this time on my hands, it being Saturday and all.

Sempers Bros

Cook

Sparrowhawk
10-16-03, 08:09 AM
It's a beautiful brisk morning. Getting ready to take my daughter to the train station, she's taking the late train today.

My neighbor Dave just drove off to work. He always slows down and gives his truck a little toot, to say morning as he takes off. Sometimes, when I'm standing out side drinking my morning coffee, he'll roll down his window and ask me what day f the week it is and of course I'll answer, "Why, Dave, It's Saturday."

He's a surveyor by trade and a good person. Often his garage door is opened and the TV is on, so we’ll gather there to watch sports. He’s a Red Sox fan, since he was born in Mass.

Janet, the lady across the street, left earlier about 4:20, she's an accountant with Albertson, one of the chain of grocery stores that are on strike. When she got home yesterday she was all red faced and tanned from having walked the picket line all day. The day before I had taken water bottled to the picketers picketing at our local store, they found it amusing that I had chosen to take the bottled water in their competitor’s grocery stores bag...LOL

Jack just pulled out; he's an electrician and helped me wire my garage so that all the gadgets I have plugged in out here in my office wouldn't blow a fuse. He’s widower, his wife died about four months ago, and often Jack and I will sit out in front of his garage and drink a beer or coke and watch the neighborhood folks walk by. He was off work Tuesday and was looking for a Halloween costume. I know a place, I told him and we drove off. The place we found it was a Lingerie Shop* which rents customs out. He was hesitant to go in at first but got excited with the costumes on display in the front windows. As he was paying for the rental, I grabbed hold of black thongs that were hanging on a display rack and told him they were part of the outfit. He’s a soft-spoken man, and very gullible so he took them and placed them on the counter, to pay for before he realized what they were. He got red faced but laughed with the female proprietor and I. I don’t think, he’ll take me along to return the costume. LOL

Phantom Blooper’s posting of the “Hippocratic Oath,’
Got me to thinking this morning on how we as Marines are trained . To defend life and fight for it. To take it, when we must. I guess that’s why we value it so much. Long before it appeared on the famous c-rat box top, my fire team leader in Nam, had said, these words to me, “For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.”

I guess that was my first introduction to understanding the value of time and life, my first Saturday.

Sempers, Marines

* I would have posted this tread earlier, but couldn’t spell “Lingerie,” So, I had to click, click all over the web and of course I became entertained by all that Victoria Secret stuff, before I found the word. I guess I should buy myself a dictionary. LOL

Sgt Sostand
10-16-03, 09:02 AM
Everyday is Saturday ya until war brake out then it Every day is like Sunday to Pray like hell

thedrifter
10-16-03, 09:12 AM
The sunny is shinning...on this cool breezy fall day.....Leaves are starting too change in colors...It's one of the reasons I still live a state that has all 4 seasons.....Well that is when we get all of them.....We sometimes skip over spring and fall.....LOL....The only season I don't like is the winter....Too cold and snowy....but Ellie enjoys that season....So I have to give her something she wants since I get my way all the time....LOL....

I do enjoy reading to....when I get a chance....I have read WEB Griffin "The Corps"novels...I like to read anything about the Corps, which my kids know, so when they go to the book store, they do look for me....and will buy one when the see something they feel I will like.....

Our house all of us enjoy all sports....The TV's have been set with the baseball games all on....In my house...I have a few that like the Red Sox...and some the Yankees....I hate to see tonight...LOL....I know my kids.....I like the Yankees....

Need some more coffee....and need to do some work to make a little more money today......

All have a good day........

Sempers,

Roger

chicagousmc
10-16-03, 07:32 PM
...and then I got bored!

Well after reading the posts here I thought I would chime in with my times. I started working when I was 14 or so worked through HS and then off to boot camp and the Marines. I did that for 11+ years, did the reserves for a couple of more years then thought I would be a real cicvilian and get a new career. That lasted until Desert Storm and I went back in to do my part. Got out again in '93 and back to being a firefighter. Went into contract security management/consulting and have been doing that for 10 years or so. Now, I just turned 45 and will be off to the Police Academy, guess I miss all the fun of a boot camp life, to start my new career as a police officer here in SC. Guess my weekends will have to wait till I'm dead. :marine:

Sophora
10-16-03, 10:24 PM
I see I'm the only civilian to post here so far. I figure Sparrowhawk can delete this if'n he wants to, so what the heII.

Growing up Saturdays were always chore days. Thats the day we did the weekly stuff around the house under mom's direction.

now adays Saturdays are the day to recover from Friday night..Sunday is chore day now.

Sparrowhawk
10-16-03, 11:21 PM
You kidding, you're the first redhead to post on this tread.

For redheads everyday is Saturday in my eyes...LOL

now adays Saturdays are the day to recover from Friday night..Sunday is chore day now.

Humm, chore days? I burned the honey-do list the second day after I retired.

LOL

Sparrowhawk
10-17-03, 08:29 AM
Nice and briskly this morning, neighbors are gone, coffee's brewing, and the sun will be coming up in just a few minutes.

It's another day and in the neighborhood, things are right with the world, well sort of.

Woke up this morning and gave thanks for another day of living. Everyday I don't expect to wake up or maybe to wake up from this dream.

I've often felt that I was truly killed in the rice paddy fields of South East Asia and all this is just a dream, a dream that one day I'll just wake up from and still be there popping caps or going through the dying process.

It doesn't scare me, death or to leave this world behind. Have you ever imagined what your obituary would read like?

Here's what I would like for my obituary to read.

Cook Barela died yesterday
He was a Marine, an artist, a photographer, writer, historian and got under many a politicians skin
He was tall dark and handsome
Very good looking actually
A lot of women are expected at his funeral
Please call for a reservation

I may not like the pain and suffering that is often associated with death, but I feel I'm at peace with my creator, believe in the after life, heck I've seen enough of the dark side of life to know there is a better one up ahead.

But everyday, I feel its Saturday in more ways then not. Its another day to live and enjoy life, to deal with troubles and problems, solve some and blame my neighbors for the others or give others the chance to do what is right. LOL

I remember my D.I., who told us that if we were killed in Nam we weren't suppose to die until we killed the bastard that killed us. Saw a few Marines fight on, after being shot several times, some lived some died. Have always felt I owed them a life, so I'll live it the best way I could.

Taking the next three days off, wife and I are taking a train trip to San Luis Obispo and just getting away for a bit. Not that I need it...LOL

Guess we all need a day off from our own Saturdays in life.

Sempers everyone

Sophora
10-17-03, 10:39 AM
If everyday was Saturday for me it would mean I'd have a handsome husband who treated me like a queen. Then I wake up and it's friday :p I'm taking my baby and some of her college pals out tonight to my favorite friday night hotspot. Gonna treat them to some good cajun food and music. Saturday is my babe's birthday. My God she's gonna be 23..dang do I feel old! So Saturday I'll recover and hit the chores on Sunday.

Osotogary
10-17-03, 02:22 PM
To me every day is almost saturday and when saturday finally does come around, heck, it's almost sunday. I guess you can tell I haven't retired yet.
Speaking of retiring, does anyone know of a good third world country where my social security benefits will actually be worth something? I still have a couple of years to learn a language. LOL
Naw, saturdays are a gas. As long as the people that I love and care for are doing well...I'll be alright.

thedrifter
10-18-03, 08:49 AM
It a bright cool morning...Looking outside would make you think it is warm..but it is not....Well today is saturday....and I have the day off....Don't have to fix things, and I don't have to talk to the accounts on the phone....I love when I have off....

Not much things planned for today....just would like to put a coat of wax on the car....have to get ready for the winter weather....and I do beleive it going to be cold and snowny...Have been hearing and seeing the geese...They are heading south....They have been doing this since Sept...but you know you always have the ones who wait to the last minute.....

Here is something for us 60 plus club should enjoy....and they say getting old don't have there advantages.....LOL..

Sempers,

Roger

THE PERKS OF BEING 60+

1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.

2. In a hostage situation, you are likely to be released first.

3. No one expects you to run -- anywhere.

4. People call at 9 p.m. and ask, "Did I wake you?"

5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.

6. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.

7. Things you buy now won't wear out.

8. You can eat dinner at 4 p.m.

9. You enjoy hearing about other people's conditions.

10. You get into heated arguments about pension plans.

11. You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.

12. You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.

13. You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.

14. You sing along with elevator music.

15. Your eyes won't get much worse.

16. Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.

17. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the National Weather Service.

18. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.

19. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.

20. You can't remember who sent you this list.

Sparrowhawk
10-18-03, 01:05 PM
It's still morning in California...LOL

been up since 4:00 then fell back to sleep, wife woke me up at 6:30 when the coffee was being delievered.

we're staying at the Apple Tree Inn, in San Luis Obispo

http://www.applefarmgifts.com/images/Products/rgh-t2.jpg

http://www.applefarm.com
It's a bit of a fuffu place,,,,lol

Using my trustee camera phone,took this picture in the lobby this morning, while reading the paper and drinking coffee.

You all have a nice day, its a soft day here, very quite, going to the mission and taking a tour of the area.

Sparrowhawk
10-18-03, 10:15 PM
I don't mean there are lots of women, however, the ones I saw were good looking and there are planty of them here, what I mean is that the whole town is fuffu, you know girlie, like feminine, everywhere you go.

Even the heads have all kinds of lady stuff in them. While I may live in a household of women our home is not decorated like a flower shop or a boutique.

Coffee is good at the Inn we are staying in, but the room is too enclosed, canopy bed and all. Too enclosed, can't stand being closed up like that.

I realize more then ever how at home I need to have the windows open, curtains open, guess its all part of watching your back, being able to see all around you. You can’t check the perimeter in the middle of the night when you are so enclosed like the rooms in this place are.

It’s amazing how war does affect us, in even the smallest things like a room you stay in 35 years later.

Riding on the train

The Amtrak ride out here was great; riding along the coast, the train ride was smooth and not too crowded.
Met a navy personnel on board that had served in Iraq and did diving for the Navy there on the Euphrates River. I asked him if the nights were filled with flares up in the air, and his eyes lit up, and he realized he was talking to someone that had experience war.

A five hour trip back tomorrow. Probably have dinner in the diner car.

thedrifter
10-19-03, 01:33 PM
Started my day a little late today.....Took Ellie on a haunted hayride last night....with my family.....Plan didn't work out right...They told me they always lose one a person on each ride....;) ..Well Ellie was still here....:D

We did enjoy ourselves......Something different...and to watch the folks scream when the actors come out to scare the folks...there were some funny moments....

Afterwards....we sat by the bon fires...to keep warm...to listen to the live band...that was playing....The kids were cooking hotdogs, and toasting marshmallows and we all started to pop open the beer....while we waited for our food....
Did meet a few vets...that were around...Talked about the difference...we see in the old and new...of the branches......

To end the evening we all decided to go out for breakfast since we were all getting hungry again from running our mouths so much......

Cook I do understand what you are saying about having to know your surroundings...I don't like to to be enclosed either.....

Ellie has nic-nacks around the house....but she does not only suit for herself.....She has eagles up for me....besides her bells, and her religious figures.....To make me feel right at home she does buy me Marine Corps...items which is displayed around the house....and of course we do have our childrens pictures up...through their ages....I guess the next pic that will go up is my oldest daughters wedding pic since she announce she will be getting married in the fall of 2005....

Well all have a good day........

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
10-20-03, 08:27 AM
October 20, 2003

It's another Saturday morning in the neighborhood.

Jim and Janet the neighbors from across the street went off to work at Albertson's grocery store, early this morning. Jim will work a 12-hour shift since he is the manager and Jill will be outside on the picket line, since the employees were locked out.

Dave came out this morning, before leaving for work it seems he opened his garage door, and water poured out. He said, he repaired a washer in the upstairs bathroom, and it leaked all night. I don't think I'll ask him for any help with my plumbing needs.

Daughter off to school, driving herself this morning.

Trip back on the train along the coast was great. Dinner in the Diner car, outstanding.

Trains are not too comfortable for sleeping on, so only caught a three-minute nap, but that was enough.

Roger congrads on your daughter's upcoming marriage, I can wait for my time to come up..LOl

It's going to be a hot day here in sunny California, over 100 degrees, in October?

Got the coffee on, anyone want to join me for a cup, pour yourself a cup, sit back and enjoy the day. Wife will get up soon enough or your boss will come in to get you to do something, so might as well enjoy life when you can...

thedrifter
10-20-03, 09:27 AM
Weekend is over...Monday is upon us already....Some of us have to work....and some are enjoying their extra time they have since they did their time in the work force.....

Cool bright day....today....Children all off starting their new journey in life...You ask them and they will tell you now....Life sucks!!.....I tried to tell them you don't want to grow up, but they didn't listen to me.....LOL....

It's funny when you are young you can't wait to grow up and be an adult....When we are older we want to go back in time and enjoy the things we missed when we were younger....My mind would love to do a few things that I did enjoy when I was younger but the body tells me different....

I guess the trick is on us.....We just have to teach the young folks all the knowledge we learned and pass it on....for them to fullfil...things in life.......

Sempers,

Roger

The most destructive habit.......................Worry
The greatest Joy.......................................Giving
The greatest loss................. ............ .......Loss of self-respect

The most satisfying work.......................Helping others
The ugliest personality trait....................Selfishness
The most endangered species.............Dedicated leaders

Our greatest natural resource................Our youth
The greatest "shot in the arm"................Encouragement
The greatest problem to overcome........Fear

The most effective sleeping pill................Peace of mind
The most crippling failure disease...........Excuses
The most powerful force in life..................Love

The most dangerous pariah......................A gossiper
The world's most incredible computer.....The brain
The worst thing to be without.... ................ Hope

The deadliest weapon...............................The tongue
The two most power-filled words.............."I Can"
The greatest asset......................................Faith

The most worthless emotion......................Self-pity
The most beautiful attire.............................SMILE!
The most prized possession..................... Integrity

The most powerful channel of communication.............Prayer
The most contagious spirit.........................Enthusiasm

Red Dragon
10-20-03, 03:12 PM
Another day has passed by, what have you done today. If we all accomplish one thing each day, just think how our lives will be full filled. As Marines we do help our Brothers/Sisters without thinking twice about it. Let that same Spirit flow over to the civilians, but than again that is what makes us Marines diferent from everbody else. Yes! Today is saturday and tomorrow is saturday, a day to start off something new.

Red Dragon aka HL

Sparrowhawk
10-21-03, 08:10 AM

It's going to be a hot one in Sunny California, in the upper 90's, good swimming weather.

We don't have a pool, but my neighbor Jack always has his door open for me to go over to jump in anytime I feel like it in his. His wife died a few months back and he figures its a good security and usually if its been warm, when he comes home I have a ice cold beer sitting out for him and we sit back and talk for awhile.

Coffee great this morning, just the right strength.

Reminds me of the new girl at Starbucks the other day. I already had a cup and wanted a re-fill half decaf and half regular, but I want the de-caf on the bottom, I said.

She puts the de-caf on top after half filling it with regular coffee on top.

I looked at her amazed and said; I wanted de-caf on the bottom. She apologized and said, I'm sorry I forgot and started to exchange it, before I stopped her and said, it really doesn't make a difference. Poor girl some people don't understand my sense of humor... LOL

Well stepping out to water the yawn and do some early yard work. Wife doesn’t understand these things.

First she wanted me to plant grass out in the front yawn and when I did the grass grew and now she wants me to cut it. Figure that out...

Well you all have a good one, it’s going to be a nice day around here, and everyone will be gone. I'll be meeting with some community folks about 8:00 for coffee at Starbucks then back home to update the latest gossip and report to the public on my web site what happened at last night's school board meeting.

I haven't been there in months and one of the board members told me last week that school administrators and other school board members fear that I might show up at their next meeting.
Folks just don't understand my sense of humor...LOL

Sempers bros

Osotogary
10-21-03, 08:45 AM
Decafe on top,regular on the bottom?
Solution- Just repour the coffee into another cup! LOL

thedrifter
10-21-03, 09:21 AM
Today the weather decided to tease us..and give us a taste of summer weather....It will be short lived since a cool front is coming through tonight...and we will get back to the fall temperatures by tomorrow.....

Cook....Some folks never understand us.....LOL...

Well Cook, Gary figured out your brain teaser......LOL...I would have done the same.....
I have included one for those who want to try it...If not the answer is included......

I do believe some of the young folks need to Understand and Learn...What it is to Become a Marine...
I was told that they want Respect, but never show Respect to Nobody....I did explain to receive Respect they must show it....
Well with age I hope they do get it.......

All have a Good Day......

Sempers,

Roger

Brain Teaser......
What do all of these names have in common (besides that they are all feminine)?

Veronica
Penelope
Natalia
Anastasia

Answer:
The last 3 letters of all names are the last 3 letters of each continent.

VeronICA: Africa, Antartica, North America, South America

PenelOPE: Europe

NataLIA: Austrailia

AnastaSIA: Asia

Honor. Honor guides our uniformed and Civilian Marines to exemplify the ultimate in ethical and moral behavior; to never lie cheat or steal; to abide by an uncompromising code of integrity; respect human dignity; and respect others. The quality of maturity, dedication, trust and dependability commit uniformed and Civilian Marines to act responsibly; to be accountable for their actions; to fulfill their obligations; and to hold others accountable for their actions.

Courage. Courage is the mental, moral and physical strength ingrained in uniformed and Civilian Marines. It carries our uniformed Marines through the challenges of combat and helps them overcome fear. It is the inner strength that enables a uniformed or Civilian Marine to do what is right; to adhere to a higher standard of personal conduct; and to make tough decisions under stress and pressure.

Commitment. Commitment is the spirit of determination and dedication found in uniformed and Civilian Marines. It leads to the highest order of discipline for individuals and units. It is the ingredient that enables 24-hour a day dedication to Corps and country. It inspires the unrelenting determination to achieve a standard of excellence in every endeavor.

Red Dragon
10-21-03, 01:14 PM
Here it is another glorious day, just happy to be alive and here. Found this nice little cafe that has better coffee than Starbucks. I think that their coffee is over rated. LOL Sparrowhawk if it was me I would have had her re-mix my coffee just for GP. LOL

Respect is earned, and By-God all the Marines in here have earned it. We all have earned it by our blood, sweat and tears. Any Marine who makes it thru Boot Camp and has earned the title of United States Marine deserves to be respected. You don't have to repect the person, but you do have to respect their rank and all that they have accomplished. Enough said on this.

Red Dragon aka HL

Sparrowhawk
10-22-03, 09:40 AM
It's going to be another hot one, in the 90's, earthquake weather.

There are four wild fires ablaze all around us but still at a distance, nothing to worry about.

I'm a Starbucks on my laptop on the internet in what they call a T-Mobile hot spot. I can plug into this wireless connection anywhere T-mobile has their wireless connections, like an airports, etc.

It works great when you are sitting on the toilet at an airport, especially when the lap top I have has soft keys so no one knows what I am up to, sometimes if I read Rogers joke posting while there, it does make people wonder... LOL

Used to be that in Nam we used hand signals or colored flares now a days it’s the Internet and emails that convey our messages.

I saw somewhere where soldiers in Iraq were disappointed because they couldn't get to their email.

At the relay Mars station in Da Nang we got to use the phone but had to say "over," and wait for the other person to answer. Now it’s called IM Instant Message, times have changed.

We worried about running out of ammo, they worry about not having any ice available. Things have really changed.

But then again, I was for awhile getting emails from the gulf and that was exciting to be able to communicate with our warriors like that and here I sit at Starbucks enjoy this method of communicating. In a second I'll push the submit button and it will be posted on this web site being hosted elsewhere.

A message I typed up on a lap top thousands of miles away and posted on the internet with a wireless connection.
Yep, things have changed.

It's Saturday, enjoy life

Sempers

thedrifter
10-22-03, 10:31 AM
Raining today...on the cool side...and the tempertures will be dropping with increasing winds during the course of the day....Not a day to be outside .....

Cook we can't keep up with all the new technology....Things are changing around us....all the time...
Two Wars Two different times....We can see how they improved on things...and things that did not work like they figured....More improvement in the works....
The internet helps us keep up with our love ones anywhere anytime...when we need to speak to them...Made lots of friends that I never meet through the net....Yes talking with Marines while they were in Iraq...had us pulled in to the world....We been there, before, and understood how they felt....They are a future...and we were there to say we do understand...and stand behind them.....They Did Us Proud......

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.signonsandiego.com/teaserimages/031022email.jpg

Union-Tribune
For U.S. troops in Iraq, the Internet is more than a superhighway. It's a 6,000-mile bridge that spans the gap between their frontline positions and their families, friends and favorite department stores back home.

Today

Today...I wish you a day of ordinary miracles- ...

A fresh pot of coffee you didn't have to make yourself.

An unexpected phone call from an old friend.

Green stoplights on your way to work or shop.

I wish you a day of little things to rejoice in...

The fastest line at the grocery store.

A good sing along song on the radio.

Your keys right where you look.

I wish you a day of happiness and perfection-little bite-size pieces of perfection that give you the funny feeling that the Lord is smiling on you, holding you so gentle because you are someone special and rare

I wish You a day of Peace, Happiness and Joy.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.

Sparrowhawk
10-23-03, 07:21 AM
Getting ready to drop off daughter at the train station.
This weekend I'll have all my five daughters home for dinner. They are getting on in their lives and I cherish the times we can get together.

One is a teacher, teaching fourth graders and earning her master's degree. She would make an outstanding school administrator. Good at holding people accountable.

Well it’s going to be a bit cooler here today, going out to Loma Linda Clinic to get a medical ID card. Have never used it before and I have decided to use all of the benefits I am entitled to, as my daughters often benefit as well.

The coffee is on, Yuban, 8 cup container, which I pour into a canister as soon as its done, so that it stays fresh longer. During the early morning hours some folks drop by to see what I am up to.

I guess I should post some of the shenanigans I get into everyday, we were cracking so much yesterday at Starbucks, one of the managers wants to name a section of her store after us. LOL

The local paper took what I had given him and ran a full front-page story on it. He is getting as right wing as I am with my views but still says that Rush Limbaugh views are liberal compared to mine.. LOL

Well, be back alter, off to the train station.

Cook

thedrifter
10-23-03, 09:49 AM
Ok...Someone turn up the heat..LOL...We had a cold front come through last night which dropped the tempertures....30 degrees....We are suppost to be going into the 50's today...but eith the brisk winds, it feels like in the 30's......Hell had to turn on the heater to take out the chill we had in the house......I don't like the cold......LOL

Cook my kids might live at home, but the only time I really see them is on weekends.....Yea I see them come home from work, but after there day of work....they take there dinner and go upstairs to their bedroom to unwind....The only time we do see them is when they get hungry again, and they come downstairs for more food....LOL...

All have a good day.......

Sempers,

Roger

LEGO Lessons for Life

Life might be less complicated for all of us if we each received our own LEGO kit at birth. Yes, I realize there is a choking hazard for children under three. But when you are old enough, you can learn a lot from LEGOs. I have learned that:

~ Size doesn't matter. When stepped on in the dark, a 2X2 LEGO brick causes the same amount of pain as a 2X8 brick.

~ All LEGO men are created equal (1.5625 inches tall). What they become is limited only by imagination.

~ There is strength in numbers. When the bricks stick together, great things can be accomplished.

~ Playtime is important. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you are building, as long as you're having fun.

~ Disaster happens. But the pieces can be put back together again.

~ Every brick has a purpose. Some are made for a specific spot - most can adapt almost anywhere - but every one will fit somewhere.

~ Color doesn't matter. A blue brick will fit in the same space as a red brick.

~ No one is indispensable. If one brick is unavailable, another can take its place.

~ It doesn't always turn out as planned. Sometimes it turns out better. If it doesn't, you can always try again.

Sparrowhawk
10-24-03, 08:21 AM
TGIF

I wonder who came up with those word's “Thank God Its Friday?” It must have been someone that didn't know about Saturdays. Didn’t know that everyday can be Saturday when your retired.

Had a gray day yesterday, things didn't seem right and it took me awhile to figure out why.

Perhaps I'll post that over at PTSD 101.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10471&highlight=ptsd

Its was one of those things that reminds you of a war in your mind and your not aware of it, and it lingers in the back of your mind boiling up and starts to get you down and you don't understand why.

With the activity around my house it’s hard to get down, too much to do everyday.

Daughters coming and going. One has a Shakespearean play to go to and has invited my wife and I. Now, I've read the King James Bible and somewhat understand that but those Shakespearean people they talk funny, worst than trying to understand California’s Gov.-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger speeches...LOL

But, I'll enjoy the time together. I cherish those times, to be with my daughters, don't know if I'll be around when the grand children are born, but I'll enjoy them as they are now.

One of my daughters had a job interview, yesterday. She’s the one studying at FITM the fashion institute of technology and merchandizing where she is learning how to set up store displays and design the interior marketability of stores.

She had applied for a sales or cashier job at Normstorms, for the upcoming holidays. Well she got there and there was a large group of others also waiting to be interviewed. She became discouraged and called me to say she wasn't going to go through the interview as the other girls had their resumes with them and all sorts of brochures. She felt she wasn't prepared.

I wouldn't accept it and finally convince her to go through the process just for the experience she would gain from the interview.

She did, and when they found out about her studies and talents they asked her to come back to help design their store window display for the holidays.

Never quit is a lesson we all have learned as Marines and I guess that helps us in our daily lives as well.

Going over to Starbucks this morning for an early cup. Come join me if you have the time.

Semper Fi

Marines

thedrifter
10-24-03, 10:34 AM
Yesterday turned out cold...stayed in the low 40's....and we even had snow flurries.....Too cold for this time of year...for us....This is Dec...weather....At least we are going to the higher 40's today and the sun is out....with very little wind......

Cook it was great talking with you again....landline.....
Cook I can say you have the same feelings as me....I tresure my children...and have encourage them to be the best they can be....
I'm proud of my children because they did accomplish more then I expected....Finished highschool with scholarships...for college...went to college...and now in the real world as what they set out the goals for.....

Now my dream is to become a grandfather.....but can't say I will see that day.....Our children are all the same age...except you have and extra one.....but I want them all to for full everything they can...while they are still young.......and they are doing it.....Hell that is why they say they are living home with me.....LOL....

TGIF......

All have a good day.........

Sempers,

Roger

THE PERFECT ADVENTURE

Once upon a time, there was an old man who lived in an old abandoned cave. The cave was located on an island called Grace. The old man had been on the island since as far back as he could remember. He was very self-sufficient, as he would gather fruits and berries for his daily food.

One day as he was in the wilderness gathering some food, he discovered a small wooden box barely covered by a pile of leaves. By the looks of it, the elements had caused the wood to start to fade.

The old man thought to himself, "Hmm... I wonder where this came from." He wasn't aware that anyone else had ever been on the island. He brushed the leaves away and picked up the small box. He held it to his ear and shook it. There was something in it. The old man cautiously raised the latch on the box and eased the box open. There was a large gold piece in the box, surrounded by shredded pieces of newspaper. The man took the gold piece out of the box and looked at it more closely. There was a figure of a man carved into the gold. The figure had his arms stretched out and there were children at his feet. The man turned the gold piece over, and it was engraved with the words, "The Way, The Truth, and The Life." "What a beautiful gold piece!" the old man thought to himself. He placed the piece back in the box and smiled. A warmness came over him. He thought to himself, "For all these years, I have been on this island, gathering my food and taking care of myself. I have never seen anyone else here nor had I known whether anyone else had ever been here. I have been living on Grace all these years, and today, I discovered precious gold!"

Sparrowhawk
10-25-03, 10:14 AM
Having my second cup of coffee, pour yourself a cup and sit back watch the Saturday morning cartoons with your kids (grandkids) for a while.

I still don't have any grand children and I'm in no hurry to get any.

Isn't it amazing the toys and gadgets they have available to kids today?

Why didn't they have toys like that around when I was young?

Neighbor, Albertson store manager left early for his 12-hour shift at his store that is on strike.

His wife been home for two days, she also works at Albertson but walks outside the store picketing.

Today there is a "burning flame of fire," all around us, that reminds me of Johnny Cash is he still alive?

Not much scheduled for today, going to take the day off.. LOL

Spend last evening at the Neighbors taking pictures of the neighbor trying on her Halloween costume.
LOL

She's a pretty girl, but also a blonde. LOL

Mudwalker
10-25-03, 02:29 PM
Damn Sparrow,

Is that picture with or without the costume? If it's before I can reccomend a good realtor. LOL:eek:

Sparrowhawk
10-26-03, 10:09 AM
Darn darn, gosh darn clock.

So, my wife doesn't tell me she changed the clocks back, and of course I forgot.

So I gets up likes I normally do at 4:00 am, everything is normal, I open up the garage door to my office and the neighbor is leaving for work at Albertson’s at about 4:30, his wife leaves shortly after that.

Everything is normal, but it seemed to be staying dark a bit longer, and the neighborhood seems to be quite longer even for a Sunday morning.

Clocks in my office when I look at them, say its 6:00 am, then by 7:00 am daylight is finally beginning to show, but I figure its been dark because of the fires all around us.

The sky is an orange red from the suns reflection on the smoke, ashes falling all around. I washed two of my daughter’s cars, my wife's car and it’s still a bit dark.

Then I turn on the TV at 8:00 but my puter monitor and clocks in the office show 9:00 what's up with that.

Why don't the pass the word around here?

Gosh darn grunts were always the last to get the word.

http://global.msads.net/ads/12463/0000012463_000000000000000029920.gif

Well, back on standard time. I caught up now with the rest of the world. Felt weird like as if I was in a time zone...LOl

Coffee anyone?

Hey, wake up people still sleeping taking advantage of that extra hour.

Humm, no wonder jo_beth was up, so early...LOL

Sempers everyone

thedrifter
10-26-03, 11:08 AM
Well we got a touch of spring here agsin today....just cloudy and we are expecting rain again.....I can't keep up with the weather....on day fall, next day winter, next day spring.....
If I could Cook I would send you some rain....It might help to put out the fires....You should could use it.....

Nothing much planned for today...just relaxing....Did try to start some Holiday shopping yesterday....but did not see anything I really want....I always try to look for something for Ellie special....never know what I'm looking for...but when I find it....I know......

Children are staying home today...they decided to bug me..LOL....They say they Love Me....and just wanted to touch base with me.....I don't get to many days having all at home....so Ellie will be making a big dinner today....since all the family is together......

Cook I set my clocks before I went to bed....but that didn't help....my body decided to wake me up at the usually time..LOL..Now I have to get the body use to the new time again.....

Sempers,

Roger

A Life Enricher
Walt Disney once wrote that there are three kinds of people: "well-poisoners," "lawnmowers," and "life-enhancers."

He said "well-poisoners" are the negative types who put other people down and try to discourage them from achieving their dreams. They’re people who should be avoided and whose advice should be ignored. "Lawnmowers" are good citizens who keep up their own yards but seldom venture beyond their back fence. They go to work each day, pay their bills and taxes, obey the laws, and maintain their property but seldom volunteer or get involved in their community.

Then there are "life-enhancers". These are the people who really make life worth living. They go out of their way to enhance the lives of others with encouraging words and deeds.

I share a similar mission in life: to be a person I refer to as a "life-enricher," an encourager, someone who motivates people to always have hope. All of us have opportunities every day to be life-enrichers. It’s as simple as offering a word of encouragement; volunteering our time, talents and treasure to enrich our schools, churches, government or community; or writing a note of thanks to a teacher, a pastor, a public servant or volunteer.

God calls us to be life-enrichers. "Well-poisoners" try to build themselves up by tearing others down but never achieve relief from their misery. Many "lawnmowers" may achieve material success and even respect in this world. But people who serve others will be first in God's kingdom.

We all need to spend time mowing our lawns. But take some time from mowing to get out of your own yard and take a few simple steps to be a life-enricher. Thank your child’s teacher, let your children know you’re proud of them, lend your neighbor a hand, volunteer at your church, be a mentor, help with a fund-raiser, put your talents to work for a charity, give blood, invite your pastor to dinner, write a note of congratulations to a friend or relative who has achieved something special.

You'll be amazed at how your word of encouragement or giving a helping hand can have a dramatic impact on enriching another’s life - and your own!

Mudwalker
10-26-03, 11:26 AM
Beautiful day here in D.C. Rolled into work at 0530 for duty and low and behold, the roads are all blocked off. Nobody bothered to pass word to us watch standers that we had to park 20 klicks away due to the Marine Corps Marathon. I had my own marathon humping to the office! To top it off the off-going didn't have any fresh Joe ready. WTF over! Still a helluva day and only 8 more hours to go! It can always be worse, at least nobody is shooting at me.

Semper Fi
:D

thedrifter
10-27-03, 08:56 AM
Haven't seen Cook this morning......Thinking about you Brother....

Prayers are with You and Your Family...

Still warm today....just raining lightly.... The heavy rain will be coming by this afternoon...and bringing the cold front in.....Leaves are falling, which makes the road condtions...a little dangerous....

It's Monday....catch up day....from all the weekend activities...Lots of paperwork to do besides some equipment...to fix...

It looks like a quiet day...for now...most folks are still getting use to the time change......even me...LOL..Got up earler than I usely do....and now I'm starting to slow done.....need to refresh myself....coffee and than a nap sounds good for now........

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
10-27-03, 01:20 PM
you should have taken pictures of those anti-war protestors in Washington the other day, I would have posted their faces on stupid anti war protestors dot com.. LOL

Sparrowhawk
10-27-03, 03:10 PM
Anybody cut out the Sunday ads and coupons, every week?

Took the family out for dinner at the Acapulco Restaurant on Colorado blvd in Pasadena Saturday night. I didn't care for the waiter, as I had to order extra chips and salsa as soon as he had dropped off only two bowls at a table pack full of my daughter's, wife and I.

I asked for a large Margarita on the rocks with salt on the rim, and he brough me a plain house margarita so I send it back. He then proceeded to pour the Grand Marniner shot to my drink without asking.

Other then the waiter, dinner was great, so it came to about $90.00 but the very next day in the Sunday paper there are coupons, all sorts of them, so the whole meal we had Saturday night would have cost us less then $30.00. it ain't right I tell you.

Anyone want to join me for lunch, you pay full price I get my meal for free. LOL

I don't like anyone assuming what I like or don't like in my meals or drinks. I guess that way I was upset with the waiter, it all goes back to Nam, no one messed with ones meal. Those were off limits to pranks and such, except of course the ham and lima beans. LOL

My family knows how things like that set me off, and for the most part I can tolerate certain things and disregard others. I always tip generously but didn’t do so Saturday night because of the lousy service we received. Once we were served the waiter never came back to ask if we wanted anything else.

Now, more then anything I wish I would have had those coupons at that time.

Well it’s another day in the neighborhood. Got up early and washed off the ashes off the back porch. It was a mess, where's the clean up crew when you need one.

I might need to go to Wal-Mart and hire the afternoon shift. LOl

Our local grocery store strike is still on and I did cross the picket line, heck an 18 pack of Coor's light was on sale for only $4.99, what's a Marine to do?

Even if I don’t drink the stuff, some Marine within the next week or so, will visit and we can sit and enjoy the stuff.

Not much scheduled for the day, some gardening, and computer stuff that needs to be done.

Bought myself one of those external hard drives and have backed up all of the computers hard drives in the house into that one. If this place ever burns down, I just need to grab hold of one hard drive that way.

Well enough said for the day

You all enjoy what's left of it and I'll meet you all over at the The Slop Shute for a cold on in a bit.

Sempers

Cook

Omega
10-27-03, 04:13 PM
About the meals you sound just like my old boss. He was in the Marines during Vietnam (though he never went over) Very picky about his coffee salad and meals. Within one week you knew how to order for him One coffee with milk ,not creamer, and sugar a salad plain with no dressing. If the waiter/waitress messed up he would refuse to eat there again. I swear we ate at perkins every day for a month.

Sparrowhawk
10-27-03, 05:38 PM
After eating the stuff I did in Nam, I guess I can afford to be a bit picky..

LOL

A Marine grunt, November 1967, India Company 3/7, Operation Foster

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/grunt.JPG

richgitz
10-27-03, 06:53 PM
And a FINE looking Grunt at that.

Sparrowhawk
10-28-03, 08:12 AM
The sky is dark; it will remain dark for another 45 minutes before sunrise.

Woke up this morning and noticed my neighbor Jack has two vehicles in his driveway and there's another car parked across the street.

Jack's wife, Gladys’s died about five months ago, and he has slowly been getting adjusted to living alone. Last night he had mentioned that his niece had called from Rim Forest a village near Lake Arrowhead, that they might be evacuated because of the fire, and then her phone went dead.

They maybe the ones staying with him, I hope their home is all right.

A new fire was started yesterday near Temecula; people have reported two teenagers were seen throwing flares out the window of a large size vehicle.

Dave, my other neighbor, mom and sister are visiting from Boston, for a week. We sat around last night talking, they talk funny. Now, they are worried they might not be able to catch their flight out of Ontario on time this Saturday.

With Mira Mar being shut down, because of the fires near San Diego, air traffic has been curtailed into LAX and other major Southern California airports.

It's amazing how an individual's actions can affect so many people, their actions results in lives being lost and cause millions of dollars worth of damage.

Sometimes the action of a lone Marine in the heat of battle made the difference in how we fought or reacted to the enemy during a firefight. I saw some Marines cry or freeze up because fear had overtaken them. Others were fighting back hard against an entrenched enemy, they were the ones that cared more others more perhaps then for their own lives. Or feared fear more then life.

How we reacted to the situation made us a better man or shamed us for life. Some of those that gave up, I have seen again, and they suffer from that moment in time where they could have made a difference, and just gave up. I don't hold that against them, we all have our limits. I'm afraid to find mine, or perhaps I already have and have slowly begun to shut down by selecting the battles I wish to fight.

Sometimes, it's just not worth it, at other times my heart goes out to victims and I know I have to do something.

I wouldn't hesitate to tie the person responsible for these fires to a tree in the path of the fire, or to dangle him from a rope and fly him through the flames.

Sometimes people say I'm too hard, others say I have a soft heart, somewhere in between is the Marines in all of us.

Sit, down have a cup of coffee with me and take it easy today, choose your battles.

Semper fi, marines

Cook

thedrifter
10-28-03, 08:23 AM
The sun is just peaking out...after a day of storms....Surrounding areas are flooding.....again.....the fierce storms will be returning later in the day....to cause more havec...in our area.....Winds ripping trees from the ground.....the rain heavy at times......
Only if we can re-direct our weather...California...sure could use the rain.....

Doing the VA thing a little later today....Going to check me out again....Most of my day will be wasted waiting fo them to call me in....Just to tell me what I already know...that my body isn't like it use to be........LOL...

House is quiet.....Ellie and I sipping some coffee.......me reading and catching up on emails....and Ellie starting her daily chores....
Kids are all at work.....they started a little early today....They can do that...since most are the boss.....They to be back home before all the new storms...start all over again......

All Have a good day......

Be Safe........

Sempers,

Roger

DO LESS
By Author Unknown
DO LESS THINKING,
and pay more attention to your heart.

DO LESS ACQUIRING,
and pay more attention to what you already have.

DO LESS COMPLAINING,
and pay more attention to giving.

DO LESS CONTROLLING,
and pay more attention to letting go.

DO LESS CRITICIZING,
and pay more attention to complementing.

DO LESS ARGUING,
and pay more attention to forgiveness.

DO LESS RUNNING AROUND,
and pay more attention to stillness.

DO LESS TALKING,
and pay more attention to silence.

Sparrowhawk
10-29-03, 07:12 AM
Coffee's ready, nice and strong, wake-up flavor

The air is cold this morning, just put out the trashcans, strong smell of smoke in the air. Yesterday the ashes were falling so fast it looked like it was snowing.

The weathers been cooler, so that was good, except the winds picked up late in the afternoon and the fires went wild.

There's a ring of fire now all around us, but there's a lot of folks, property and firemen between us and the fire, but from we have seen this fire is leaping at times for miles because of the winds which are suppose to pick up again early this morning. That prevents the helicopters and water dropping aircraft from delivering their loads.

The firemen have been doing an outstanding job; folks around here are now replacing their NYFD sweatshirts for California FD shirts. What a world we live in.

Makes you sad for so many folks to loose so much, so many of them you can see the fear in their eyes others the determination to live on, to rebuilt.

So, far we have not lost any firemen, to that we can be thankful.

Think I'll go to Starbucks this morning, proprietor there tells me the folks miss me; ask for me when I don't show up. I wish they would miss me enough to buy my coffee... LOL

Well, let's see what today brings, how's your life?

SF

Cook

thedrifter
10-29-03, 08:43 AM
Cool, damp, foggy and rainning wed. morning.....Sure needed that coffee....to warm up my bones......

Halloween is upon us again....Always enjoyed the holiday....when my children were young....but since they are older they keep the spirit alive in my house......

They dress in costumes....and give out the candy....and place on a show, that young ones from the neighborhood will sure remember their Holiday adventure......just like they did when they were younger.......

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
10-29-03, 08:44 AM
Ghost Story

Dancers
by William Meikle

Yes, I know its getting dark, and I know its getting cold, but just come over here for a minute. It wont take much of your time. There's something I want to show you, someone I'd like you to meet.

Come on. Humour an old man who needs to tell his secret.

It's just there, behind the church. Yes, in the older graveyard. You're not afraid are you? I promise, there's nothing here that would ever hurt you.

Not you.

Watch out for the moss on the stones. Some of the slimier varieties can get embedded in your clothes, and it's murder trying to get it out.

Just about there is usually the best spot. Stand quietly now - let your eyes get adjusted to the dark. You'll soon see why I brought you here.

There she is.

Do you see her? She's standing right there. Look - in front of the large grey angel, just to the left of the patch of moonlight, almost underneath the old elm. Yes, there, beside the largest headstone.

My beautiful Sarah. Forever young, forever twenty.

See how the red of her hair glows like a burning firebrand, a halo around the white perfection of her face. And look - she's wearing the dress. The one I bought her for the dance, the last dance of our youth.

Three pounds two and sixpence that dress cost me - more than a week's wages in those days. Times have changed, haven't they? My mother told me that I was mad, spending all that money on a slip of a girl who was no better than she should be. But I knew that she was worth every penny.

I was drunk with the delight that danced in her eyes when she tried it on, swaying her hips to get the full effect from the long flowing pleats. I can still remember even now, fifty odd years and many strangers' kisses later, the sweet honeyed taste of her lips as she thanked me, the pressure of her
hands on my back as we embraced.

I wish she would touch me now. Just one touch, to bring us together at the end. If only she could see me. I have so much that I've never told her.

How still she is, how composed. The wind refuses to ruffle her, the rain refuses to dampen her, the earth refuses to cling to her. Yet there's something more.

Look closer. She breathes; she blinks; her lips part and then connect, but there's no steam. Not like you and I, standing here puffing at each other. It may be almost winter here, but for her it's late summer, always summer.

Those lips. How deep and red and enticing they were that night, glistening moistly as she looked up at me. Smiling, dancing, laughing, we moved across the dance floor. We were young; the war had barely touched us, and I was in love for the very first time. The night held the prospect of many new pleasures.

And then he arrived.

I knew he was going to be trouble. Right from the start I could see what he was. American, charming, arrogant and different. Hello excitement, goodbye dependability. In the space of a minute I'd lost her forever.

Shall I tell you how it happened?

He butted in on our dance. Just barged right in, excused himself, and then off they went, whirling round the floor in a flurry of legs and feet and arms. I tried to stop him as they came round again, but he had all the advantages - height, weight, diet, composure and training - while I merely had my rage.

Afterwards, as I lay there on the floor, my tongue counting teeth as my handkerchief vainly tried to soak up blood, I heard a laugh. Looking up through eyes which had already begun to puff up, I saw her. Only six feet away, but already distant, clinging to the conqueror. Her hair made a red
scar where it fell on her shoulder, and in that moment I knew what I would have to do.

Can you see? She's moving. But watch. Do her legs bend? Does she walk like you or me? Or does she glide, smooth and silent like a great white owl? Listen. Can you hear any gravel being trodden underfoot? Or is there only you and me and silence?

You can't tell, can you? She deceives the brain, but doesn't brook too much attention. Try not to look too closely - set your mind on other matters.

Ah yes. The chiming. It must be eight o'clock again. Do you think she's able to hear? She'll be heading for the wall. When she reaches it she'll rest her elbows and look over there, to the field on the left, where the airfield used to be.

I remember the women, silent, waiting, listening for the sounds which would tell them that their men were coming back. They used to peel off one at a time as the planes returned, until only a few were left, watching and waiting and wondering.

See how the moonbeams dance around her, making her glow. So white, so brilliant, so pure. And no shadow to taint the vision.

He was corrupting her. I could see that, even from the few glimpses I had of them together. There they were, laughing and giggling like a pair of kids fresh out of school. And kissing! In public! Right there on the main street for all too see, and again, later, in the pub, flaunting themselves
in front of me.

Of course she had stockings. And lipstick. And chocolate. And cigarettes. The price of her innocence, the wages of sin.

I hoped that I wouldn't be too late, that she was still capable of being saved. I watched. I waited. I planned. He continued with her destruction, but soon I'd have my turn.

See how she moves between the stones, not attempting to pass through them. Does she look solid to you? You can't see through her, not like in the books or the films. Do you think that if I went over there and put out my hand she'd be able to take it, be able to feel? Would she notice that I was there?

I have often, over the years, thought about why she returns. It is only now, when I'm near my own end, that I'm able to look at it dispassionately. Maybe, when I go to join her, we'll both understand.

Did you know that I used to be a mechanic? Well I was, and a good one at that. It was easy. I already had the run of the airfield, so it was simple to wangle myself in on the servicing of his plane. Once I had spent five minutes aboard, it was only a matter of waiting for the next flight.

I was subtle though. I didn't want the plane blowing up over land; not over England anyway. My work might have been noticed. No, the explosion would occur only when the plane climbed to more than one thousand feet. That should do it. By the time it reached that height it would be well out
over the channel.

He took it out the very night day.

Look. She's reached the wall. See how her elbows stay white, despite the damp and moss and stone? Her eyes will be moist. Will those tears be real? Could I perhaps touch them? Touch them and somehow feel her pain?

The next day I saw the flight take off, twelve planes slowly gathering in formation before beginning their long climb into the sky. I watched them until they rose into the clouds, then listened as they droned away. Was there an explosion? Did the droning lessen? I never did find out.

Whether I'm a murderer or not, he never came back, and I never lost the guilt.

Later that day, when the sky was once more filled with sound, the women left the wall, one by one, until she was the only one remaining, trying to pierce the clouds as she peered avidly eastwards, willing him to return.

I stood, just about here, and watched, cursing her for her devotion, cursing him for his hold on her, as darkness fell and the skies grew silent.

It was late summer, and the temperature was dropping rapidly. A light drizzle began to fall, chilling me to the bone.

And still she waited, and still I watched.

See it. There's the cigarette. How ungainly it looks in those pearl white fingers. It burns - there's a good quarter of an inch of ash on the end - but there's no smoke, no smell.

He started her off on that habit. She'd told me that morning that she did it because it made her look like a real lady. As if she'd not been a lady before that. It made me angry, so angry that I could watch no longer.

See how she turns, surprised. Now she'll look confused for a second. Then she'll see that it's only me; only the young, fresh faced, solid, dependable me.

Watch closely now. You may just catch the disappointment as it flits across her face. Look, she turns her back again, returns to her vigil.

One look and I was consigned to despair. I grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her around to face me, demanding that she explain herself. She struggled in my arms but I held on as we moved around in a parody of a waltz; held her as she screamed, her once-beautiful lips contorted in rage.

She pulled away once more, and this time she was too strong for me to hold on to her. Surprised to be free so easily, she lost her balance.

I reached out desperately for her as she fell, slowly, slowly, towards the unyielding gravestones. And then came the sound, the one I hear late at night in my dreams, the sound of her neck as it broke.

So now we wait, she for a sweetheart who will never return, me for an end to the guilt and the hope of forgiveness. Which of us is more dead?

And the time passes and I watch, every night, as she dances, just for me.

© William Meikle

Willie Meikle is a Scottish author of supernatural stories. Visit his web site:
http://www.willie.meikle.btinternet.co.uk

Sparrowhawk
10-30-03, 07:27 AM
Its a nice crispy day, as I took out the trash this morning, I noticed that it was sprinkling, just an early morning sprinkle, probably not enough to change things in regards to the fires 18 at last count, but it has placed a nice smell into the air, and downed a lot of the flying ash.

http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/189/495/8x6/031029_firess1_5p.jpg

Today will be a busy one, taking my youngest daughter tot he hairdresser. Maybe I'll get a haircut while I'm there, even a manicure and pedicure, make it a father daughter thing...LOL

Last time I had a pedicure a Korean lady did it, she messaged the feet so well, that, that, that, well you know. The message felt good...LOL

Fires are still raging, with not let up in sight. We lost a fireman yesterday protecting Julian a nice little town, I have often passed through, and have wanted to stop and spend sometime there but never have. Today will be a challenge to the firemen there to protect the little town.

I should go volunteer but knowing the way I am in no time I would be in the thick of smoke fire and chaos.

They have plenty of people helping at the command center and volunteer centers, as well as supplies. I guess I could go sing and dance for the people sort of entertain them. For sure they would forget about their misery for awhile as they would be throwing what ever possessions they had saved at me, to get me away from them.

Coffee’s on, nice and hot, the local newspapers headline, today, about the fires in the area says it all; “There’s Nothing We Can Do to Stop It.”

http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/189/495/8x6/031029_fire_10.jpg

thedrifter
10-30-03, 09:34 AM
Goodmorning........

Well it is Thursday....and the first day of the week to see the sun so brightly....and No rain in the forcast......
In the past few days...we had over 6 inches of rain....Rain that we didn't need....Our rivers are over flowing....people are out of there homes....Streets being closed down....We are getting to much rain...and the west coast needs it......Only if we can change the weather.....

Well I'm having one of those days, that nothing is going right.....LOL...
I seem to get them once in awhile....but in the end I will get it right......LOL...

Cook glad to hear that you are getting a little rain to help...your situation out there....Any would be welcomed....Prayers are incomming.........

Take Care......

All have a good day....

Sempers,

Roger

Dan_Mills
10-30-03, 03:03 PM
Cook, Roger...
You guys are doing a great job covering the left coast and the Phili area so I thought I might let you know what's happening here in the land of the mouse. I woke up this morning just before 6 AM and listened to our local weather guy telling us how cold it was after the front had come through. You all be sure to bundle up now because it's 60 degrees out there, looking for low 80's later today. Listen to the news for a few minutes, then use my inhaler and start the day. God that stuff tastes nasty, and the VA reminds you to gargle after use...like you need a reminder! Out to the kitchen for coffee, what a shame, great big restaurant type Bunn 12 cup machine and burr grinder and "Doc" says can only have one cup a day now. Cook like you say, "Everyday is Saturday", but almost half of it is gone before I get the strength and/or the ambition to get going. Just another day in paradise, but as we used to say, "Any day above ground, is a good day. That's what I wish to you both: a good day.

thedrifter
10-31-03, 09:44 AM
Goodmoring

Great to see you Dan....

It's Halloween....and TGIF.....end of a crazy week....It would be nice to relax a little this weekend......I sure need it....Had to put my babysitter's cap on yesterday....I don't like babysitting....but some times I'm forced into it......

Sunny and warm day today..mid 70's back to spring for the next few days..and no rain in sight...This evening is going to be warm for the trick or treaters.....That great news for the parents that walk there kids...since for the last 10 years it has been cold.....Oh do I remember those nights.....but it worked out for me....I just told my children that they had to give me some of there treats...for going out with them..;)...Hell it worked till they figured that I had to do it as a parent.....LOL....

All have a great Halloween....
Be Safe........

Have a great weekend........

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
10-31-03, 06:04 PM
No Halloween costume here on this day, but our local VFW has invited a bunch of us there tomorrow night to celebrate it with them. I might do that.

I can't believe there is no candy in this house; my daughter bought two bags of that stuff just about a week ago.

Butterfingers and snickers, both bite size and I know I placed both of the bags in my office for safe keeping, and I'm the only one that's been here and I've been keeping my eyes on them. I mean I've had a few each day but where did the rest go?

LOl

Dan_Mills
11-01-03, 06:47 AM
Good morning everybody. Cook, I think I may know what happened to your candy bars; through some freak of nature, they have moved to my house. Know in you heart that they are safe however, because I turned the lights off last night so my wife wouldn't give them all away. So I too, will store them in my office keeping a diligent eye on them until you retrieve them. Please make it quick as they are constantly trying to escape!
It's going to be another pretty day here, it is already 70 degrees, bright & sunny, going towards the mid 80's. The wife and I are going to a craft show in the park today, what a sight we make. She can't walk because of multiple surgeries and I can't breathe. I push her wheel chair and she carries my oxygen. Maybe I'll be able to find a Marine Corps sun-catcher or a windsock...you never know.
Cook, another one of those nasty Butterfingers just tried to get away, but I caught him and then I sacrificed him to the food gods. You know you just can't return them to the herd after they do something like that. LOL

Sparrowhawk
11-01-03, 07:59 AM
Dan really keep your eyes on them Butterfingers, they are a slippery lot and tempting. But I got wise to their tactics. When I bought the last bath I had the girl at the register scan them twice at the register. The second time takes all the calories out. I think its all women's fault anyways. They buy us them candies, so we'll get fat, so no other women will want us... LOL

Well it's another Saturday, it rained hard last night and haven’t heard on the news yet, to see if any of the fires are still burning.

Across the sea Saddam has declared starting today three days of resistance and our guys are in for a world of hurt, unless we drop some heavy ordinance on Saddam's hometown to wipe it off the map.

We need to stop being so politically correct and treat them all as enemies until they realize the true price of freedom and the value of life.

Looking at Iraq I am beginning to understand why God in the Old Testament always told his people that when they conquered a land dedicated to the worshipping of idols that they were suppose to wipe them all out and not take any for their wives.

Men, women, children, even their animals were to be slaughtered. Sometimes those nations would realize the God of Israel as the Almighty and they would be spared. Otherwise they were to be slaughtered. Iraq helps me understand that, because these people do not understand the value of life and the precious gift of freedom. We have thrown a pearl into a herd of swine.

Gosh darn stupid people, makes me yearn for the heat of my m-60.

It's going to be a nice fresh rainy day today, thanks Rog, for sending the rain this way, as soon as we're through with it, we'll return it to you, don't want to over use it. LOL

It's Saturday and I'm going to enjoy the day, because by tomorrow I knows I'm gona need to do some serious repenting!

thedrifter
11-01-03, 08:35 AM
Goodmorning this fine Saturday.....

Bright sun, warm tempertures a picture perfect fall day......Yes Dan just like Florida's weather.....just that we have the leaves changing this time of the year.....

Cook thanks...about the rain...but we had our fill of it around these neck of the woods......

Not much planned for the day....Sitting around and relaxing....Will be going to my nephews birthday party...He's 2 as of yesterday....Yea a Halloween birthday...can't celebrate both things in the one day...so they have to make adjustments.....
Just think more goodies......The kids are dressing in costumes...and yes my children will be too........

I'm glad to see, that I'm not the only ones...that have to hide the candy in the house.....For some reason Ellie will buy it and a few days later....she is asking where the hell is the candy she just bought.....My children and I just look at each other....and never say a word....;) She should be glad.....It's not going to her hips.....:D

Well all have a good day......

Sempers,

Roger

jo_beth
11-01-03, 08:45 PM
9 more days to celebrate!!

Sparrowhawk
11-03-03, 07:36 AM
Jo-Beth, I get to celebrate the Corps birthday, everyday...:banana:
LOL

Coffee is on, nice and strong, a Saturday is beginning, folks keep telling me its Monday but that's only because they have to go to work.

Retired on the 4th of July 1992, over eleven years of Saturdays since then. That's over 580 Saturdays, had I stayed on the police force in LA statistics show that if I had stayed on another five years my life expectancy would have dropped ten years. Had I worked ten more years, I would probably be dead by 60-65 at the most. Police work plays havoc with your insides. Not much bothered me on the force except when it came to young kids that were killed, maimed or hurt in accident or family troubles.

I've now been retired for over half of the years I worked and haven't regretted it one moment. Of course there are times I wish I had my ticket book in hand, or wished to screw my gun into another persons ear, or slap them upside the head to get their attention or to prevent them from committing a crime, but now a days I just drop a dime into the cell phones, sit back and watch the action unfold. LOL

Neighbors are off to work, I guess they didn't get the word that it’s Saturday. Newspaper says there were 16 killed in the copter attack in Iraq. Remember the felling of being on those CH-47 Chinook helicopters, no different then the ones we used in Nam.

Papers also say that three other Americans were also killed yesterday, they died from mine explosions.

All of it brings back memories that I still shove to the back of my mind. Let it stay there, I'll deal with it later.

Nice crispy morning, still dark outside, decided not to go to Starbucks this morning, or maybe I will. Tomorrows election is important for this little community, hopefully the right guy will get elected to the school board or I might have to start stupidschoolboardmembers DOT com Part II, LOL

Sempers

Cook

thedrifter
11-03-03, 08:46 AM
Who turned up the heat around here......The past few days we have been having summer like weather.....today high in the 80's.....and they are saying we are going to be breaking records.....Can't understand this weather.....

Didn't have time to do the honey do list......To many family functions this weekend.......I guess I'll get to to the list sooner or later.....If not Ellie will try to get to it herself...or appoint one of the boys to do it....Hell that works for me.... ;)

My nephew turned 2 on Halloween....So Saturday was tied up with a party.....
Sunday our goddaughter had her first Holy Communion....She even baked the bread for the service.....
Yes the walls are still up...at the church.....just heard a little rumbling.....:D

Well need to get to the paperwork...

All have a good day

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-03-03, 10:03 AM
http://www.john.redcetera.com/jurby_church%20lg.jpg

thedrifter
11-04-03, 09:18 AM
Goodmorning.....

Another hot day is scheduled for us today....I should go out today....and enjoy the weather, because the rest of the week they are calling for cool weather and rain......Just like we need more rain....Can't change the weather.....

Well I do have to go out and vote...for a mayor....It has been a nasty race here....and they call us the brotherly love city.....LOL...I can say the folks in philly are just fine....It is just the politians.....LOL....Everybody hears the bad about our city....Never the good......There is a lot of good.....

Cook the pic....is pretty much what I was looking for.....on Sunday.....Don't get to church to often....I see things a little different since vietnam....I beleive my church is where I need to speak to him.......and I know he understands......

Well need to get a few things done....again......

All have a good day.........

Sempers,

Roger

Vinegar Or Honey?

"They make their tongues as sharp as a serpent's; the poison of vipers is on their lips." -Psalm 140:3

Did you know that sometimes words can hurt just as much, if not more, than a physical blow to the body? That's right, for words spoken in anger, frustration, hatred, and jealousy have the capacity to cut deeply.

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, we say something we don't really mean, but once it has left our lips, it is too late, and the damage has been done, unless forgiveness is immediately sought.

We are all guilty of speaking unkindly or thoughtlessly at one time or another, but the way to make sure these times are few and far between with the goal of not again occurring, is practicing patience and love.

Just as a vipers tongue can be so quick it is barely visible to the human eye, we must practice thinking before we speak, rather than speaking then thinking (and often regretting). In order to do this we need patience; that unseen force which allows us to wait without becoming upset. Then, once in that holding pattern, we have better opportunity to think about what is the best way to respond to the matter at hand using wisdom, discretion and love, rather than anger or hate. When I refer to "best way," I am of course referring to the wisest way: God's way.

At the risk of using a worn and perhaps corny expression, I often ask myself, "What what Jesus do?" In conversation with another individual it would then translate to be, "What would Jesus say?"

Not one of us is perfect as we all have sinned in our life time, but this does not mean we still cannot reach for higher levels of godliness even by keeping watch on the purity of our speech. Will our words hold the bitterness of vinegar, or will they be sweetness to our soul?

Today, won't you consider if your words will be like honey or vinegar?

Osotogary
11-04-03, 09:49 AM
Good mid-morning one and all. Man is it humid down here in South Florida! The sky is a gradation grey. The trees gently sway...when the do. The local birds are staying low. That usually is an indication of pressure change...usually rain.
Had vistors from the Great State of SparrowHawk (California) and they had a problem with the heat and humidity. It takes some time getting used to. I still haven't gotten over the helicopter trajedy that occured recently. Damn!
Lighter side.
An old sailor visits a House of Ill Repute. Things are happenin (you know what I mean) and the old sailor asks, "How am I doing?". The lady says, " you are doing 3 knots. You are not hard, you are not in, and you are not getting your money back!"
I hope that one and all are doing okay. I wish the best for all.
Gary (osotogary)
One more thing. Never leave your home .....without your teeth!

Sparrowhawk
11-04-03, 11:36 AM
Coffee is on, nice and hot, its a bit crispy outside. <br />
<br />
Already been to the train station and dropped off a payment at the water district's office. My wife handed it to me late last night and said...

NEWB
11-04-03, 02:43 PM
:banana: It is cool, humid day here in West Texas. I am sitting here going over the latest posts and sticking my two cents in here and there. This coffee is helping me along. Maybe I should add more Jack to the cup first. Hmmmmmm, worth a try.

Hope you all are doing great and having a good day also.

Hawk....do you think the church would still be there if Roger had gone. lol. Also, I want you to know that I to miss my M-60.

I got some crappy news on Sunday. You all remember Chris, the one who got back from Iraq in Sept., well, they are sending him over there again in March. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeees, why don't they just bring back Carpet Bombing and Napalm. Would save a lot of time. That area would make a good parking lot.

Well, I will see y'all later on. Semper Fi :marine:

Sparrowhawk
11-05-03, 09:21 AM
Worst drivers in the world are out today, so you all be careful out there.

I swear there were on the road today, the worst drivers ever as I went to drop off my daughter at the train station this morning.

Tailgating, speed up and stop, wrong lane turns, hide in your blind spots, they were all out there. Then to top it off, I blew a tire on my way home.

Called the Auto Club to change the tire, its Saturday, I'm <strike>retarded</strike> retired, I don't do that stuff anymore.

Guy wasn't too smart either, but hey, he was happy in doing his job and that was good to see.

Going out to Starbucks this morning, then to the local cafe where I'll meet with some town folks and discuss the days politics, economy, education, fart a bit and drink strong coffee.

You all be careful out there watch out for those crazy drivers.

Cook

jo_beth
11-05-03, 09:36 AM
5 more days, 5 more days, 5 more days.....
:banana:

Then sparrow can have his pic with me dancing on a table top....
just before it tips over because of too many coronas..
lmao!

thedrifter
11-05-03, 09:45 AM
Cook we have that around here all the time.....Nothing new....LOL....

The rain started a little earlier than the figured....Started early evening last night....Cool weather came in....with the fog....Rain for the next for days...Now I don't have to work outside on the Honey do list.....LOL

Cook I tried that trick to with my father-in-law....I tried to give Ellie back....but my father-in-law stated I entered into a contract....He gave me $5.00 and the ladder and said she is all yours.....LOL...Hell I'm still trying to find the white paper that says were married for 26 years....I still can't find it.....LOL...

Talked to NewB...last night...after Ellie and Dennis...were talking about me....LOL....
Dennis...need to warn you....Talking with Ellie...She likes to cause trouble.....Just ask Cook.....She is always getting in trouble with him.....LOL....

Well back to work for me.......

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-05-03, 09:56 AM
Ellie is a redhead...LOL

jo_beth, I forgot, which one of us is the one that is suppose to dance on the table top? :lick:

jo_beth
11-05-03, 10:42 AM
That depends on who gets drunk first.
:banana:

Sparrowhawk
11-06-03, 08:26 AM
Its a nice cool morning, daughter is upstairs getting ready for work and school; I'll drop her off at the train station shortly.

Coffee is on, nice strong, and hot. Got bad news yesterday, my father-in-law died. He was 90 and we had been expecting it. Last Saturday I took my wife and had all my daughters go out to see him so we were expecting him to die.

Its a funny thing this dying part of life, we are all on our way to that check point in life. I sometimes think when I get to heaven the first thing the good Lord will show me is a room set up just to the right and inside the place.

There I will be showed a dozen or more angels all mangled up, with broken wings, injured, wounded and bleeding. Then the Lord will tell me, "Cook," do you know who they are and why they are all hurting like that?

And, of course I'll say, "no Lord, what happened to them?"
And, he'll tell me, well, son, those are the angels I had assigned to you in life. They took a lot of hits meant for you.

My father-in-law wasn't a good man, by that I mean he wasn't kind, wasn't giving, and much of that was I know, because of how he was raised by his parents. Irish Catholics strict and hard with their children. Someone said, to my wife yesterday, "well I bet right now, you mother (who died 11 years ago) is receiving him with open arms in heaven. My wife answered, "I don't think so, " She'll probably want him to get his own house."

But that's the reality of life what happens here on earth I am sure determines our eternal resting place, and what rewards or punishments due.

I am confident the Lord knows me; he has taken care of me in many ways. In Vietnam he took especially good care of me, and while I should have been killed several times, there is no doubt in my mind divine intervention played a part, and while I talk to him daily, I repent just as often and do what good he has placed in my heart to do. Now, don't go spreading that information with anyone else on other Marine Corps web sites. I have a reputation to maintain, you know. LOL

Anyways it’s going to be a good day today, looking forward to seeing what it brings.

Have a cup of coffee and sit a spell, don't bother turning on the TV or radio on this good morning, everything is pretty much in the same mess it was last night.

Sempers

Cook

thedrifter
11-06-03, 10:10 AM
Sorry...to hear your news Cook.....Thoughts and Prayers to your Family.......Don't understand death....What I see is that the good seem to go to those Pearly Gates, before the ones that weren't as good seem to stay here longer....Maybe a cruel trick...I can't say...but I hope those folks think and change their ways......Some of us folks can see through those who like to play games in life....

Damp...foggy...rainny...with a chill in the air that can go through your bones....Not a day to be outside.....A cold front is comming through...which will drop our tempertures once again....at winter tempertures....Well I guess I will not be stepping outside for the weekend.....LOL...

Need to get back to work.....

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-07-03, 08:23 AM
Life goes on, I think it finally hit my wife last night that she is parent-less. It’s funny how women describe their hurt.

She said, "Now, our daughter's don't have any grandparents."

Yes, but soon they will be having children, and we'll become the grandparents, I was thinking, but didn't say it. It's better not to say anything at times like that. Just sit there hold them and not say anything.

The news lady just dropped off the Daily Bulleting newspaper, one of four I will read today. You have time to read them when everyday is Saturday. I have already read, the local paper, the Bulletin is the second paper delivered today. Later I'll post what they said in yesterday paper about what I said about our local school board election. LOL

At Starbucks I'll read the NY and LA Times before the local group comes in and bothers me, while I'm trying to enjoy my Saturday. Stan and Dave (the newspaper reporter), both Nam vets, will come in and sit with me, where I'm sitting, because many of the women that come into Starbucks always stop to say hi. And while they are dirty old man, the women tolerate them as well. LOL

<hr>

Spend most of the day yesterday taking down girlie wallpaper. They should hang wallpaper hangers, hang them all. The wallpaper inventor, the guy that invented flannel PJ's for women, dentist, chiropractors and communist. Probably in that order.

At the rate I'm going it will take me three more days to take down the wallpaper. Maybe I'll go over to the super market strikers and ask them if they want to work peeling wallpaper off the wall.

Hey, some of those women on strike are pretty good looking. The good-looking ones I'll pay $7.00 bucks an hour, if they are redheads, $10.00 an hour. If they wear short skirts while climbing ladders to pull down the wall paper $12.00 bucks and hour.
I'm reasonable... humm does that mean I'm a discriminating employer?

Its a nice cool breezy day, later this morning I'll pull out the plants around the oak tree in front of our home. That way when the wife goes out she'll see the changing colors of the oak tree's leaves. She wanted me to plant the tree out in front of our house for that reason. Maybe it'll make her feel better.

You all feel good today, its gift of life, we just have to pull off the ribbons.

Semper fi

Cook

Dan_Mills
11-07-03, 02:46 PM
Good afternoon everyone. Sparrowhawk, I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. It is tough to suddenly realize that you're an orphan; even if you had been expecting it. You think your going to be cool with it but you never are. Sorry I haven't been making morning posts from Central Florida for the last few days but I lost my mother board and my cable modem at the same time and have just gotten everything back up and running. To top it off, the power surge also scrambled my operating system, so it was necessary to format the hard drive as well...It will be months before I can get my sh*t together now!
Spent this entire day over at the VA clinic getting all kinds of testing done. Got a bunch more to go through next week as well. I'll tell you what, if I had kbown I was going to live this long, I sure would have taken better care of my self. I'm too darn young to feel this dam* old!
Our Veterans Day Parade is tomorrow, I'm going to ride in the cab of the 6x6 since I can't walk that far any more. If you see me wave, I'll be the "young" old fart with the oxygen mask. Guess there won't be any smoking in the cab of my truck!

Sparrowhawk
11-08-03, 09:50 AM
Dan don't open the cab's door and fall out. That woudl make a pretty site, you being dragged along a parade route strapped to that oxygen tank..LOL

<hr>

Roger's posting.....

An Absolute Bunch Of Jerks...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=51276#post51276

Got my blood boiling this morning. I went back and copied that newspaper story and Monday morning on the Marine corps Birthday, I will be sending out a copy to everyone of our state legislators and asking them to introduce a bill or do something to correct that stupidity, and everyone that doesn't respond I will add them to my stupidpoliticians.net web site.

Still working on that web site that compliments my stupidschoolboardmembers.com web site. It's a good thing that everyday is Saturday for me; I have all this time on my hands to do something constructive for others. :banana:

Coffee almost gone, had my fourth cup already, got my sons wedding to perform this afternoon, all my daughters will be there. Don't know if my other son will be there, I hope that he is.

Well folks, need to go shower and shave, nothing good in the papers today,

Marines enjoy warm welcome was a nice story to read in today’s paper.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=51271#post51271

SF

Cook

thedrifter
11-08-03, 02:43 PM
Goodafternoon

Getting a late start here...today...even though I have been awake since early this morning.....Too many things to do....and not enough time to do it.....LOL

Cold but sunny around here today....Some tree are almost bare around here....the smell in the air of all the woodburning stoves on to take out the chill......A nice fall day.......

Sorry about getting you upset Cook....but It did the same thing to me....and I' don't even live there....
Hell we vote these stupid people in office...too....

Congrat's to your son....Best Wishes for a wonderful life for your son and future daughter-in-law.......

All have a good day......

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-09-03, 09:18 AM
In the scriptures it says tha on the 7th day (saturday) God rested. So we have that much in common everyday.

Today, I'm going to put on my Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes on go repent of everything I said here (and thought about), during the week, especially here at Leatherneck.com. LOL

Just had some pon-duce, Mexican sweet bread, with a cup of coffee, hummm good.

M\Humm a bowl of menudo would be great right about now.

Got a full day planned today, church then over to the in-laws for my father-in-laws wake. I don't like going to those things.

WHEN I DIE

When I die I don't want anyone to Cry
I figures, everyone will be crying for himself or herself anyways
I know where I'll be, but I don't think you want to be with me at this time, so no need to cry.

Here's what I would like for my obituary to read.

Cook Barela died yesterday
He was a Marine, an artist, a photographer, writer, historian and got under many a politicians skin
He was tall dark and handsome
Very good looking actually
A lot of women are expected at his funeral
Please call for a reservation

You all have a good day today

Semper Fi

Cook

thedrifter
11-09-03, 10:20 AM
Bright sunny day...but cold.....Not fall weather here....more like winter....Well I know for sure I'm not going out today.....LOL....

Not much going on....Trying to relax....but sometimes that is impossible..around here....LOL...
Saw the lunar eclipse last night....Skies were clear for it around here....My youngest daughter tried to take a pic of it last night....but it was too dark to get it right.....Now she is determined to get a better camera.....LOL....

All have a good day...

Sempers,

Roger

No Longer Broken
One day we got a little surprise in our house.A cute baby bird was still learning to fly and it seems it got its wing injured somehow and fell in our balcony. It tried to hide from us. Finally, I embraced it in my hands. It endeavored hard to escape fearing of more hurt. I felt its tender tiny heart racing beneath my fingers. I held it close until it calmed down. Few days later, it recovered and freshly ventured into the skies again.

That baby bird has taught us that it is never the end of the world when our "wing(s)" are broken. In fact, it is the time for real divine blessings. The world's wisdom declares, "a bird with broken wing can not fly." God says, "a bird with broken wing is in my Hands, showered with my utmost love, care and strength. At the right time, all wounds will heal and it courageously ventures into the skies."

Friend, God feels your racing heart. He understands. Sometimes, we may try to hide from Him for fear of more hurt like the baby bird. Praise God that He never gives up searching for us. He tucks us into His bosom with His Heart radiating love and grace to calm our souls.

Anytime you may go through a spiritual challenge, remember the baby bird and your being in God's Hands.

"My heart yearns for [You]; I will surely have mercy on [You], says the LORD" Jeremiah 31:20

QUOTE OF THE DAY
" Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

thedrifter
11-10-03, 08:43 AM
Goodmorning Marines!!!!!

Wishing All Marines a Happy 228th Birthday....

The sun is brightly shinning on the monday morning....but the tempertures dipped down to the 20's last night....Too damn cold for me.....LOL...

Decided to take a day off ...today to celebrate Our Birthday with you Marines.....The paperwork can wait an extra day.....LOL...
Hey Cook it is another Saturday for me.....LOL..Don't get to many of them....so when I think it is a special day I take it.....

Well Marines Enjoy your day....

Sempers,

Roger

I’ve Got Your Back!

Author Unknown:

I am a small and precious child,
My dad's been sent to fight.
The only place I'll see his face
Is in my dreams at night.
He will be gone too many days
For my young mind to keep track.
I may be sad, but I am proud.
My daddy's got your back.

I am a caring mother.
My son has gone to war.
My mind is filled with worries
That I have never known before.
Everyday I try to keep
My thoughts from turning black.
I may be scared, but I am proud.
My son has got your back.

I am a strong and loving wife
With a husband soon to go.
There are times I'm terrified
In a way most never know.
I bite my lip and force a smile
As I watch my husband pack.
My heart may break, but I am proud.
My husband's got your back.

I am a father and a combat veteran
My son will go to war.
I know the bitter taste of battle
A taste he’s not known before.
He will experience his “Baptism by Fire”
And I know he will be back.
But he will not be the son I know today.
My son’s got your back.

I am a Marine,
Serving proudly, standing tall.
I fight for freedom, yours and mine
By answering this call.
I do my job while knowing the
Thanks it may at times lack.
Say a prayer that I'll come home
It's me who's got your back!

Dan_Mills
11-10-03, 08:55 AM
Good morning all! Happy birthday too. Well I didn't fall out of the truck and get dragged down the street by an oxygen hose...as a matter of fact I rode in a 1948 Willy's USMC jeep. I don't recall the seats being that small when I was younger (and lighter). We had a great turn out of units here in Orlando but, the powers that be have still not really gotten behind the idea of a Veterans Day parade. The newspaper gives it no coverage and the TV very little. I guess we just don't fit the "Disney image".

Before everyday became Saturday, I used to love this week. I would always take off today, tomorrow and then my birthday on the 12th. I started doing it when I was just 20 years old and just kept on doing it for the next 35 years. This year I think I might just take the whole week off. What do you think Cook, Roger? Care to join me?

Well once again, Happy Birthday everyone, if I see you over at the hootch later, I'll buy ya a beer.

Sparrowhawk
11-11-03, 08:54 AM
Dan, with the Corps Birthday on Monday, mine today and yours tomorrow, I think we pretty much got the majority of the week covered, because the rest of the week, well they will be just Saturdays for us. :banana:

Was gone yesterday, for my wife's father's funeral, I hate this American way of dying. Too expensive, too morbid and a big let down. One of these days I'm going to write something about that process.

Told my kid's yesterday that when I die, since I hate mortuaries, I want my services held out in the park, out in the open with the marine Corps band playing, no bagpipes, for some reason I don't like bagpipes. Maybe the bagpipes would be okay; but that they are being played by a bunch of guys in skirts just doesn't seem right. I knows they don't wear anything under them things and if you're laying in a coffin, looking up, men, what a bummer that would be, cause your dead and you can't say nothing and if you get up to say anything it would scare the heck out of them all and the guy playing in the skirt would run off, skirt flying in the wind and everything.

Naw, just a good-looking women playing some nice music on the piano in the background. I spoke to the organist playing during the service afterwards and asked if she was an independent contractor or did she just play for her church. I asked her to see if she could locate the full version of "In the Garden," and I would commission her to put together a CD for me. The full version of that song, I've only heard once and haven't located all the words.

My wife's father had Alzheimer's for the past three years and couldn't remember much or recognize anyone. He was 90 years of age; my wife told our daughters that if she lived to be 90, she didn't want to live like my father-in-law lived. My oldest daughter said, to my wife, not to worry, she would come over to the nursing home and put on make up for her, just like Mime on the Drew Carey Show.

http://63.246.8.173/wwyk/shows/drewcarey/fatcow.jpg

My other daughter, said, that if my wife lived to be 90, on her 90th birthday, she would take her skydiving. Of course with my wife having Alzheimer's by then, she would forget to pull the string. My wife does crossword puzzles and figures that will keep her mind alert when she gets older.

I told her she would only be babbling a bunch of crossword puzzle words that would have no meaning. At least I'll just be saying the same things over and over again but they would have meaning.

Well today I'm officially 55 years of age, a milestone in the aging process. I think I'll take the rest of the day off. Going to go buy me a new digital camera or one of those plasma TV’s for my office.

My flag tore, it wrapped itself around the pole and got tangled in the eagles sharp wings, so I'm going to get a new larger, weather-proof one this morning to put up.

Well you all have a good Veterans day.

Semper Fi

Cook

thedrifter
11-11-03, 10:15 AM
Goodmorning

It's a little warmer...today...but the clouds are starting to roll in again....Rain is comming.....and the tempertures are going to dip again.....We didn't get a chance to feel the warmth.....

Busy day yesterday....even though I took off....lots of new members on Our Important Day.....Welcome Aboard Marines.....and Happy 228th Birthday!!!!!!!

I can see it is another important day today.....besides being Veterans Day....I can see it is a Great Marine's Birthday...
Cook....Happy Birthday.......Best wishes with many more.....

Lots of paperwork to do today....need to catch up....and because of taking a day off....Extra Work.......

All Have a good day.......

Sempers,

Roger

The Rope
http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/bob/The-Rope/The-Rope.htm

Sparrowhawk
11-12-03, 09:29 AM
Don't you just hate it, when you type out something, hit the wrong button and it’s all erased?Gosh darn keyboard's they don't make them like they used to.

Coffee's on, nice, hot, and strong. Papers are full of gossip and liberal lies, not much going on locally.

It's raining been raining since midnight. I enjoy the rain, cleans things out, and I don't have to wash the cars or water the lawn. When everyday is Saturday you are grateful for things like that. :cool:

Don't know how the rain will affect the areas where we had fires. Might cause some floods and mudslides. Things we do in life are like that. We share things with others and it affects their lives, if not then later on.

We have a tradition in our home when it’s someone’s birthday. After the celebration and cake cutting, the family shares what that person has meant to them or to the family. With my daughters and wife sharing what they did last night, I realized how much of that came from early Marine Corps training.

They all said, how I take care of them, protect them and always ready to help them at a moments notice.

Yep, that training is always with us, and for that we all have much to be thankful for.

Well, think I'll go over to Starbucks this morning and enjoy some quite time.

You all take care

Sempers

Cook

thedrifter
11-12-03, 10:20 AM
Cook your rain is with me here too...Just a lite rain...but we don't need anymore....Still cool but by tomorrow it will be down right cold......

I enjoy spending time with my children...I don't get much time...they are young adults continuing in there paths of their future....College.... work....and a social life.....

Youngest daughter...tried to ask her big boss that she needed to take off on Monday....he asked her why....(She is a manager)...She stated, Standing Tall....it's the Marine Corps Birthday....Showing him....her Marine Corps Brat Pin.....Her brother(another manager at Walmart) and her are known as the brats in the store....LOL...He shock his head and laughed..an...(Army MP)....Cook you are right...we did train our children in the skills to try to make it in this world.....and it does show.....There boss knows this and has stated to them this......

I have that problem with my keyboard to Cook....Maybe we need to get our heads together...and make one especially for us that have problems....LOL

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

Blaming Others

Blaming others is a national pastime. The talk show pundits do it. The candidates do it. Columnists sometimes make money blaming others. Children may be learning it at home from parents who do it, too. John Miller, a graduate of Cornell University, lives in Denver, Colorado with his wife, Karen, and seven children, including three whom they have adopted. If seven children are enough to give you pause, you can bet Mr. Miller has some down-to-earth thinking on parenting, including the idea that parenting is really all about teaching children personal accountability. Can we actually teach children to avoid the blame game that ensnares so many of us?

To test Mr. Miller's premise that the secret to good parenting is teaching your kids personal accountability, answer honestly: When something doesn't go right, what do your children hear you say? Do you blame your boss? Is it the fault of a guidance counselor in high school who put you on the college track when you would have benefited greatly from technical school? Do you blame the pastor when things don't go your way at church?

Miller points out that although we wouldn't be human if we didn't complain and blame sometimes, if our children hear us excessively blaming others, they will grow up to be blamers and victims .

Miller outlines a fairly simple way to get away from blaming others. The "Question Behind the Question" is a method of taking a bad question and changing it into one that helps people claim their personal responsibility, take action, and fix a problem. "Personal accountability is not about changing others or controlling what you cannot. It's about making a difference by changing yourself," says Miller. Begin your questions with "What" or "How". For example, ask, "What can I do to make a difference in my child's education?" or "How can I get to know my teen better?".

In his book, QBQ: The Question Behind the Question (Denver Press, 2001), Miller shares a story of entering a crowded restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. As he squeezed onto a seat at the crowded counter, a young man carrying a tray full of dirty dishes hurried past on his way to the kitchen. Catching Miller's eye, the young man asked, "Have you been helped?" Miller answered, "no", indicating that he only wanted a salad and a couple of rolls. The waiter said he'd bring it and asked Miller what he wanted to drink. Miller preferred Diet Coke, but the waiter responded, "Oh, we only sell Pepsi. Would that be okay?". Miller opted for water and the waiter promised to be right back. Indeed he was back in a minute with the salad, rolls and water. As Miller began to eat, a few minutes later the waiter reappeared bearing a twenty-ounce bottle of cold Diet Coke. "Wow!" said Miller, thanking him, and then added, "I thought you didn't sell Coke?" The waiter replied, "We don't. It came from the grocery store around the corner." Miller, almost in shock, asked, "But you've been awfully busy. How did you have time to go get it?"

"I didn't, sir. I sent my manager!" To Miller, that was an excellent example of management empowering workers to serve the customer at all costs, and taking personal responsibility for seeing to it that people were treated right.

Miller points out that the waiter could have blamed any number of others for the situation, such as whomever was supposed to cover the counter area, questioning why only one cola was on the menu, asking why the restaurant was short staffed, or complaining that customers ought to read the menu. Instead, his attitude was "What can I do to make a difference here?"

Wouldn't we all like to be surrounded by such people in our workplace, at home or at school? The answer, of course, comes right back at us: "What can I do to make a difference here?"

Teaching personal responsibility to our children is easier when we take personal responsibility ourselves. It's an important part of the Christian life.

Sparrowhawk
11-13-03, 08:24 AM
Coffee is on; the TV news is struggling to come up a story, any story to fill their airwaves.

I'm going to kill the first wallpaper decorator I meet. Three days of removing this mess and they should hang all wall papers decorators.

I have added them to the hanging list of dentist, chiropractors and communist.

Ever since the military, where the dentist just examined our mouths, then drilled and pulled without regard to pain, I have hated dentist. Last check up I only had I cavity, that's probably because I eat poggie bait so fast it doesn't get stuck in my teeth. LOL

Well its wet one around here, nice crispy clean, and a bit chilly bit its nice weather.

Since today is Saturday, I'm going over to Starbucks and show off the new coffee mug my daughters bought me. I just took a picture of it with the gift my wife gave me.

A Fuji S700 camera.

http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/1021F3JkxnoEDnQhQw1H4C3/info_pages/cam_info.html?link=/info_pages/cam_info.html&item=invnew:54155

Below is my an experminent with the new camera... it's gona be awhile b4 I get it right.

Sempers All

Cook

thedrifter
11-13-03, 08:43 AM
Goodmorning

Got to write this fast......We are having stormy weather here..Cold front comming through again..Winds are 40 mph...but gust are 50 to 60....Lines and trees are coming down and some folks are already with no power....and we are going to have this all day....:eek: Tempertures are dropping fast....and now they are adding wind chill factors......Ellie had to run after a few of our trash cans already....She isn't a happy camper now....LOL...Well at least it isn't raining now, but they are calling for snow flurries later.....

Cook nice looking mug.....
Have fun with your camera;)

All have a Safe day.......

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-14-03, 08:26 AM
Nice clean day, dropped off my daughter at the train station, got all kind of folks dropping in today. Getting the walls painted, new roof and a patio out front.

I figured the patio will do great, I'll sit out there in the evening now that I'm 55 and as cars drive by I'll throw the empty beer cans at them.

When I hit a car, I'll switch the brand of beer I'm drinking. Got to do something to keep up my Marine Corps image. LOL
Coffees on, what are you people up to today?

A member of the County Board of Supervisor wanted to help me out yesterday, because I helped decorate some gulf signs for a group of homebuilders, he's playing gulf with this morning. But, since he didn't want to help me remove wallpaper from my house, I said, it was all right.

Now, what type of friends are those? My daughter came home last night and decided to help remove the stuff. After about an hour, she said. "They should hang the people that put up wallpaper." LOL

I don't know where she gets it.

I guess Marine kids do take after their Marine parents.

You all take care today.

SF

Cook

thedrifter
11-14-03, 09:08 AM
Goodmorning

28 degrees here this morning and still pretty windy although not nearly as bad as it was yesterday....Hell the damn wind was trying to take me places I really didn't want to go to...LOL.... As I sit here at the puter and look out the window I see a pieces of small branches laying on the ground..the leaves that are left on the tree flying through the air...and once in awhile a piece of paper finding a new place to land, thats when the wind stops blowing.. I don't feel like trekking outside to see what kind of damage is in my back yard just yet....Not enough coffee...yet....

Not much going on today....and I don't think I have anything planned this weekend...but I'm always the last one to know.....LOL...

So what are we doing this weekend Marines....?

Well all have a great day.....and a great weekend.....

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-15-03, 10:52 AM
I swear there should be a law, that when an individual decides to hang wall paper in a house, they should be required to come back and unpeel it inch by inch as I have had to do for the past four, 4,...

Sparrowhawk
11-15-03, 12:12 PM
here's a close up from that same camera's picture....

Osotogary
11-15-03, 12:36 PM
Sparrowhawk,
When did the powers that be switch from using serial numbers to just social security numbers? (I noticed 6 66 on your boot).
Great choice of camera. Kodak has had some good write ups. You are probably taking photos of everything...at all hours. No one is going to be safe.
By the way, I was shaving this morning and I found myself taking off the shaving lather top, blowing out the shaving cream residue and cleaning the inside of the top with a q-tip, like I was getting ready for an inspection (circa 1963). It must be saturday. LOL
Anybody else still clean the shaving lather cap/top?
Gary(osotogary)

thedrifter
11-17-03, 11:24 AM
Goodafternoon.....

I little late today....Trying to catch up on a few things that I put off to the last minute.....LOL....

Started rainning again....but at least it is warm out....and with no wind....Trees around me are almost bare....which makes it that I can see farther...down the street.....Might have to ask Cook to borrow his camera to see what's new with the neighbors...I haven't seen for awhile....LOL....

It's Monday....and I can see everyone seems to be a little quiet....I guess it takes a day to recoup the energy, after there weekend adventures.....LOL

Well need to get back to work....I don't like Mondays....too much paperwork.....

Sempers,

Roger

Just a Little Thing

It was just a little thing - not very much at all - probably not more than a teaspoon full. Still, it had cost me several hours on a Sunday afternoon that would have been better spent playing armchair quarterback or catching a few Zs. The night before, or was it early morning, I had just finished updating my website. Reaching for my cup of Diet Pepsi, I stood up with every intention of going to bed. Somehow, the lip of the cup struck the shelf just a couple of feet from my computer. That's when it happened! I maintained a tight grip on the cup; but, with a mind all their own, several molecules of liquid decided to seize the opportunity to escape. They took one giant leap toward my keyboard and landed right between F10, Delete, and Enter.

I grabbed a rag and quickly removed every drop in sight. Whew! Everything seemed ok. Then, one-by-one, keys became unresponsive. The "\" key began leaving trails - \\\\\\\\. Finally the entire keyboard quit. Even "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" had no effect. Well, I've never been one to take much stock in those "Don't try this at home" statements. So, I shut down, removed the screws from the back of the keyboard, and wiped out a few drops that had found their way inside. I then put it all back together, only to find it worked for just a few minutes before lapsing back into its previous unresponsive state. By then, it really was late (or early morning), so I shut down and went to bed. And that's why I ended up using my Sunday afternoon to completely overhaul my keyboard. After several hours, two cans of liquid air, and completely disassembling every piece of the keyboard - I can say that data is once again making its way from my fingertips to files, folders, and the internet.

Large obstacles arise as we travel thru life, but often, its just a little thing that can cause our lives to come to a screeching halt. Like Roseanne Roseannadana used to say, "If it's not one thing, it's another"! Boromir (Lord of the Rings) said, "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing (referring to the ring)." He supposed the ring to be a small thing, not realizing the power it held. That's the way it is with the little things in life. They can take over and produce devastating consequences. The little things can get us down and cause us to stumble if we allow them to. But there is another little thing that can play an important part. Winston Churchill observed, "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." How do you face the little things that come into your life? Do you see them as impassable mountains? Or are they merely speed bumps that slow your progress, allowing you a moment to look around and see where you are? Little things in our path aren't always fun, but they don't have to stop us. They certainly aren't worth our time worrying about. Another great man once said, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?"

jo_beth
11-17-03, 11:52 AM
Now I know why Sparrow couldn't be good even if he did try.

Walk a mile in another person's boots, I guess.

lmao

Sparrowhawk
11-17-03, 12:51 PM
Been up since 3:00 causing problems for local politicians.

Stupidschoolboardmembers.com jut got the state board of Educations attention about what is wrong with our local school board members. These local jokers have got to be the most ignorant, self-serving pack of individuals I have ever met.

Anyways, I took a break from peeling wallpaper to cause a little problem with the local politicians and three newspapers I know will be carrying those stories in the next couple of days.

Anyways the local school board members don't seem to like me, and I'm glad. They got upset because I placed their pictures on the internet, and will soon put video on it as well. LOL

<hr>
One more small section of wallpaper needs to be peeled off the wall then I'll be done with this part. I swear if I see that women that put up that wall paper in my home, walking in my neighborhood I'm gona run up to her, smack aside the head, kick her two or three times, then chock her, until she does the funky chicken dance and pees on herself.

Wall paper hangers should be in jail, if someone had told me, and now knowing what I do know about removing wallpaper, if someone had told me that as a veteran I would have fought for their right to express themselves with hanging wallpapers, I wouldn't have joined. Wallpaper people are liberal; communist I just know they are.

Everyday was Saturday for me, I was all right, things were going on nice and I was enjoying life then my wife said, let's paint the house and let's remove the wallpaper.

Well it's a good thing she being super nice to me, otherwise, I would have gone to visit my shrink a few times already.

Gosh I just love being ornery sometimes. Haheheheheh

Sparrowhawk
11-17-03, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jo_beth
Now I know why Sparrow couldn't be good even if he did try.

Walk a mile in another person's boots, I guess.

lmao

I was good on Sunday, went to church and repented of all the stuff I had been doing and even that stuff I've been thinking about..LOL

Sparrowhawk
11-18-03, 08:47 AM
Coffee is brewing, grab a cup in a moment and sit a spell.

Its going to be a nice clean day but a busy one. Have repair men coming by, to take the acustics off the ceiling, and then friday, someone is coming by to resurface the walls. Gosh darn wallpaper hanging people, has made this project very expensive.

Been thinking a lot lately about our war efforts in Iraq. With Marines scheduled to go back into an environment where you don't know if the person you will meet on patrol will be a friend who will shake your hand or an enemy who will try to take your arm.

Its not what Marines are trained for, we can do it, as we read in Marinemom's posted tread, "Marines have experience in counter-insurgency warfare."

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=52392#post52392

I just don't like it. It brings back too many memories, of greeting the villager by day, and having to shot at him by night.

Coffee's done, I picked up two dozen Krispy Kream donuts when I dropped off my daughter at the train station this morning. You all are welcome to come by and have some, even Jo-beth, but I think I might have to wrestle Marinemom for that jelly filled one...LOL

Semper fi

Cook

thedrifter
11-18-03, 10:45 AM
Goodmorning

Cool cloudy day.....rain and wind comming our way again.....Need to....bolt down the hatch again....LOL....

Been trying to start to put the christmas lights up.....but the weather isn't working with me......

Yesterday...was my younger son's birthday...turned 22...had a little family party for him...since he had his private party Saturday......

Ellie and I were talking about when he was born....he decided he wanted to come a little sooner than planned....
The day he was born....it was a warm fall day....I decided to wash the car..... I always took pride in my cars.....
Well that evening Ellie went into labor around 9:30 pm ....He sure wanted to see the world....Ellie knew and told me to call the doctor...he isn't waiting....Started to take Ellie to the hospital....which was a 15 minute drive....Looking at Ellie, and knowing this time was different, I looked at her, and stated...Please try not to mess up the car...I just cleanned it ..The look I got.....I guess you can imagine......., so I just strugged it off...that she wasn't a happy camper.....LOL...
Well made it to the hospital without messing up the car....Hell the dr...wasn't even there....Well my son wasn't waiting....and the nurses had to deliver...my son....They did grab another doctor who just delivered twins.....Well my son was born at 11:03......We did lose another....but I can say my son has made me proud.....

All Have a good day

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-19-03, 07:10 AM
Coffee is hot, fresh and has that fresh out of the can smell to it.

Reading Rog's post on Nam remembered got my mind to wondering, the smell of that dark, harsh, coffee we brewed in our canteen cup over a heat tab. it never got the water hot enough so the coffee was always drank luke warm at best. I guess that's why I like my coffee just a little light and as hot as can be.

There are a lot of things that happened to us during the war that does carry on to today's world. It continues to affect us today.

I didn't realize how much until yesterday when a carpenter/construction fellow came into my back yard to give me an estimate on a patio I want to have build.

"It's like a tropical jungle back here," he said. He liked the look, but I hadn't noticed that over the years I have been building a jungle in the backyard, and while I haven't put in a rice paddy dike or outlined my favorite place to rest with sandbags, I realize how in the jungles of Nam, the silence, and beauty all around us was welcomed. The smell, dark green leaves and fresh water running along streams in the middle of the jungle may have influence how my back yard looks like today.

My neighbors count on me for looking out for them, because from my office inside my garage I have a TV monitor that looks out into the neighborhood. It’s a nice security camera, or just a form of protection carried over from my Vietnam days. its all intermingled, and it all runs together.

I think I'll go put my combat boots on, and walk in them for a while in the backyard. I haven't worn them since Nam.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=52148

Semper Fi marines

Cook

thedrifter
11-19-03, 09:55 AM
Goodmorning.....

Dark, windy, and rainny day.....but the tempertures are a little warm today.....but that is going to change again, by tonight....
I will try to put some of the christmas lights up under the porch today....that's if they don't blow done the street....LOL...

Cook it did bring back memories for me too...I drink my coffee on the cool side....Don't like it anymore hot....and I do drink it on the light side......with lots of cream.....

My backyard...is clean from all bushes....and trees...Don't want to have a jungle back there...Need to see...my surroundings..even though I have lived in my home for 18 years...and know my neighbors well.....Ellie does plant her rose bushes...and her lillies......just enough to put color back there......She understands how I feel.....and does it for me.....

Well all have a good day......need to get back to fixing some more boards......

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
11-20-03, 12:25 PM
Things to remember, on this day so many years ago.

You shove it to the back of your mind but it comes back to haunt you.

Little things you say, phone calls, words spoken to others.

I was going to take the day off, but my mind won't let me. I guess there are things we have experienced in life that are embedded deep in our thoughts that we don't want to visit, but they are there.

Gosh, it seems like only yesterday, I can still feel the impact of those little pieces of scattered dirt, rocks and mud, as the bullets kicked up dust at the base of the M-60 machine gun.

The smell of the RPG explosion that finally covered me with dirt, mud, grim and fear.

The look of fear on Jones, Marty's and Dumont’s face, I wonder what mine looked like.

I hate anniversaries; you may forget but not your mind.

I was going to take today off, make it a real Saturday... but that's not going to happen.

Think I'll go tear up that bookcase in my daughter's bedroom she has been asking me to do.

I hate days like this... Rog, get the beer out, soon I'm going to need it.

Semper Fi, Marines

Cook

CAS3
11-20-03, 12:54 PM
Hey Cook,

I am here if you want to talk.

We all have those days. Memories, anniversaries that just won't leave you alone.
I would believe that being in combat is one of the worst memories someoene could have. You are in my thoughts today.
Love Ya Brother,
Colleen

thedrifter
11-20-03, 01:12 PM
Goodafternoon

Still a little windy here today and the sun is trying to peek out....We got through yesterdays storms....with not much damage some wind and flooding.....We were lucky this time.....

We always try to erase that bad memories ....but for some reason....they....come out....Talking about them sometimes helps....other times....you sit quietly by yourself and try to shake the shadows in our minds....In my experience talking is the best antidote..Ellie has taught me that......Talking and learning...helps all in the long run...So......
You know Cook...I'm here for you....Just like I'm here for anyone else that needs our help......and I can say....I know there are other Brother's and Sister's....out there are willing to help.....

Cook we will have that beer tonight.....

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

Osotogary
11-20-03, 06:14 PM
Good evening, one and all.
My two son's are tentively scheduled to "head east" in the very near future. They both will have their specific tasks and missions to perform while there.
I pray that they will be sheltered from harm during their tenure there. I pray for all of our Armed Forces personel and their civilian support groups. I say,"I pray", even though I am not an overtly religious person. I say,"I pray", because I know that my support, although important, is miniscule when compared to the task at hand.
I could use a beer right now!
I consider myself very lucky, even though I haven't seen either son in about four years (but we communicate on a regular basis), because I have been the beneficiary of some wonderful support groups, Leatherneck. com being one of them. You folks have always been there for me in more ways than can be explained.
Although I was never a Marine I feel a kinship because a large part of the posts submitted have a "human nature" element which is like a common thread towards understanding.
I know that there are topics exclusive to this Marine Corps.Community and that will never change nor should it. That's what makes this site so vital and necessary.
I need a beer.
I hope that I haven't crimped too many ears. Heck, my two sons are "heading east" just as so many other loved ones are and I wanted to say something.
Crud, I need a beer.
Gary (osotogary)

thedrifter
11-20-03, 06:38 PM
Gary

We are here for you......
Sending out a few extra prayers.....
Now you might have to wait for that beer....You know our mail system isn't that fast yet......LOL...

Sempers,

Roger

Osotogary
11-20-03, 08:04 PM
Drifter,
Talk about mail? Within the past ten days I have sent two care packages to Camp Lejeune...priority mail. I found out last evening that alot of the mail has been "forwarded" to prescribed deployment areas even thought the personnel have not arrived there yet because they haven't left yet these shores yet. Now that's what I call "priority mail". LOL
I know that Cuban pastries I sent are tough but I don't know how they will fare this time ( maybe the weather will be cool enough to preserve them a bit) and the mold that is on the San Francisco Italian Dry Salami I sent? Well, I guess it can't gather any more mold...or can it? I also sent some sugar cane stalks. Good to chew on, good tent spikes, maybe even good weapons. I think that they will hold up for awhile.
Beer? I just went and got some. A toast to you all.
Gary(osotogary)

Sparrowhawk
11-21-03, 09:16 AM
proud of you and your sons.

I also have tow son, and five daughters. My sons never joined the military, they grew up with their mom (my Ex), she was against the war, not because I went to Vietnam, she just didn't support it, even when I was there.

<hr>
Morning folks
Its a nice brisky day, may rain, got a lot of work to do today, don't know how it is the wife talks me into these things.

Got a guy coming over to plaster over the walls and ceilings. Still glue on them from that cheap wallpaper that was used in this house. Figured that was the best way to cover up all the mess the lady did using that wallpaper to decorate the house into a fufu look.

Maybe Congress can pass a law to execute wallpaper hangers.

Coffee's on, have a cup, wife gave me a list of things she wants done, so, I'll be back shortly, going to see if I can find some day-laborers.. Hahehehe

You didn't really believe I was going to do the work...LOL

Semper Fi

Cook

thedrifter
11-21-03, 12:33 PM
Goodafternoon

Warm and sunny here today.....Nice way to end the week....
They are saying we are suppost to have nice weather for the weekend, so I will try again to put up the christmas lights...

Cook I never hang wall paper, or take off...Ellie has done that....She is pretty good at it....maybe I should send her your way.....LOL......

Not feeling to well today so I'm trying to relax.....

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

CAS3
11-21-03, 12:48 PM
Gary,
Your sons are in my thoughts and prayers. I can imagine it is stressful for you and I am so glad you have chosen leatherneck to feel comfortable enough to talk about it.

Cook, LOL...wallpaper..sounds a little too "queer eye" for you!

Rog,
Hope you are better soon and Ellie too.

I am off to CT again for a weekend away. I have had a long work week...thay are actually making me work real hours here!

Sparrowhawk
11-24-03, 10:06 AM
CAS having to work real normal hours! LOL

Originally posted by CAS3
Gary, Your sons are in my thoughts and prayers. I can imagine it is stressful for you and I am so glad you have chosen leatherneck to feel comfortable enough to talk about it.
Cook, LOL...wallpaper..sounds a little too "queer eye" for you! Rog,
Hope you are better soon and Ellie too.

I am off to CT again for a weekend away. I have had a long work week...thay are actually making me work real hours here!

"Cook, LOL...wallpaper..sounds a little too "queer eye" for you!"

My girls wanted me to go on that show, "Queer eye for a straight guy," no way I said. They take a perfectly good healthy all American looking guy and turn him into a sissy.

Instead, I told them I'll let them instead pick my clothes, and they seem to be satisfied with that.

<hr>

Well its another day, and this place has been a zoo for the past two weeks. We are in the middle of a major reconstruction of our home, inside and out and things that can go wrong have gone wrong. Water pipes breaking three times, at two different locations and the guy shooting drywall mud on the walls (to cover-up, the wallpaper glue) had the high pressure hose break and drywall was shot all over the place.

Can you imagine living in a household of six women in a house that has no running water? Luckily I had prepared for an emergency and had a 55 gallon trash can out in the backyard that was full of water. We were able to draw water from for the toilets for a couple of days. The plumber will be out to fix the second water break, I Mickey Moused to get the water flowing again (I screwed in a large screw into the break). LOL

Neighbors offered to allow us to use their extra bedrooms, and Jack one of oue neighbors insisted we stay over his place and even gave up his master bedroom for us to use. It feels good when your neighbors are so willing to do things like that for you.

<hr>

Everyday, is Saturday alright, and all sorts of things and thoughts happen everyday.

Well, coffees on, the world is in a mess and I realize there is very little I can do about it, except voice my support for our president and the war overseas. I want to do something but I know my involvement is limited at this time.

Been thinking about writing something about what war really is all about and sending that off to the newspaper for publication.

You all take care today; it’s going to be in the high 60's in southern California. Right now there is cool breeze blowing and it a clean day.

Sempers

Cook

thedrifter
11-24-03, 11:00 AM
Goodmorning

We have been having spring type weather for the last 3 days.....Got a lot of things accomplished outside with the weather behaving.....The cold front is comming our way...by this evening....so I don't think I will be out to finsh those christmas lights to soon.....Right now I'm head of the game.....
Maybe I should give Ellie and my younger son the credit since they did all the work...I just told them to move it to the right or left....or the one bulb is out.....LOL...
Hey it was the weekend and Cook says everyday is Saturday...and I was taking avantage of his motto....LOL...

Cook it doesn't matter if they are women or men...in the household....because I have the same problems.....Now Ellie will tell you that the boys are worse than the girls.....They took after me....LOL.....

Back to work again....

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
11-25-03, 01:42 PM
Goodafternoon folks...

Got a little busy today...been on the phone working....but I'm back......

The cold front came through last night.....with only rain.....the tempertures were dropping fast, which I thought it would turn into freezing rain.....We were lucky.....but not in all areas.....
Been drinking lots of coffee to keep a little warm....

Feeling a lot better than last week.....I guess a caught the bug that has been going around....They are saying the flu season is stronger than every this year.....

With the Holidays coming I need to be at full strength....Who is going to tell Ellie how to do the Thanksgiving dinner.....LOL....
I will be going to my in laws for Thanksgiving...which we have been doing for the last 18 years.....All Ellie's brothers and sister's with their family always gather on this day....One time of the year that I never get Ellie's mom upset.....LOL...
We have our Thanksgiving on Friday...with my children and their boyfriends and girlfriends......
Well there comes the weight on again.....LOL

All have a good day.....

Sempers,

Roger

Words of Wisdom

A young man was sitting in class when the professor asked him if he
knew what the Roe vs. Wade decision was. He sat quietly, pondering this
very profound question. Finally, after giving it a lot of thought, he
sighed and said, "I think this was the decision George Washington made
prior to crossing the Delaware."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A husband read an article to his wife about how many words women use a
day ... 30,000 to a man's 15,000. The wife replied, "The reason has to
be because a woman has to say everything twice. The husband then turned
to his wife and asked, "What?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A man said to his wife one day, "I don't know how you can be so stupid
and so beautiful all at the same time." The wife responded, "Allow me to
explain. God made me beautiful so you would be attracted to me; God made
me stupid so I would be attracted to you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have found inner peace; here's how you can, too. I read an article
that said the way to achieve inner peace is to finish everything you
start. Today I finished two bags of potato chips, a chocolate pie, a
bottle of wine and a small box of chocolate candy. I feel better
already.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than
the British or Americans. On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat
and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans. The
Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than
the British or Americans. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red
wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Conclusion: Eat &drink what you like. It's speaking English that kills
you
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A man was telling his neighbor, "I just bought a new hearing aid. It
cost me four thousand dollars, but it's state of the art." "Really,"
answered the neighbor. "What kind is it?" "Twelve thirty."
~~~~~~~~~~~
5 Secrets to a Great Relationship
1. It is important to find a man who works around the house,
occasionally cooks and cleans, and who has a job.
2. It is important to find a man who makes you laugh.
3. It is important to find a man who is dependable.
4. It is important that these three men never meet
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A hug is a great gift . one size fits all, it can be given for any
occasion, and it's easy to exchange
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple drove down a country road for several miles, not saying a
word. An earlier discussion had led to an argument and neither of them
wanted to concede their position. As they passed a barnyard of mules,
goats, and pigs, the wife asked sarcastically, "Relatives of yours?"
"Yep," the husband replied, "in-laws.."

Sparrowhawk
11-29-03, 10:18 AM
Got the coffee on, grab a cup.

Just cut myself a large piece of pumpkin pie, and poured whipped cream all over it.

Huummm, hummm, good.

Been thinking about the anti-war group that's arranging for the family members of american troops to visit

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=53408#post53408

“We’ve talked to troops on the ground who are confused about why they’re there, who feel it’s not the right role for the U.S. … and the occupation has turned into something of a potential for a real quagmire,” Benjamin said.

The group Benjamin is a director of, is Global Exchange, who offer, "reality," tours to expose how they see aAmerican influence has a negative effect on the world.

http://www.globalexchange.org/getInvolved/index.html

I can't help but think, how these families will be seen in the futrure by American troops that have served in this war. Hanoi Hannas or supporters for we have coomplished.

Today there are many groups visiting Vietnam trying to establish hospitals, schools, medical facilities in that county, but I am not interested in helping that county until those communist forces in power are gone.

The same for iraq, the so called human shields left the country of Iraq mostly because the people of Iraq didn't want them there.

We can hope for these families traveling to Iraq see the good we have done, but this they will not see if they are being led by members of an organization bend on destroying America from within.

Well, its Saturday, and I need a day off. Major construction on the home continues, neighbors like the new mnake-over we have given the place. it really needed it. It'll make the place more valuable, and then maybe we can sell it and I can retire and take Saturdays off.

Well you all take care. Going to Sears to see about buying that 246 piece tool set that's on sale at 50% off.

Cook

thedrifter
11-29-03, 11:17 AM
It's cold and windy here.....but we aren't use to it.....Even though the tempertures are normal.....we have been getting unseasonable warm weather here for the last few days.....

One Holiday is over....and I can tell with the left over turkey still in the fridge.....Now just think of all those receipes...we can make up with all the leftovers.....LOL...

Cook I can't understand why you need tools.....When everyday is Saturday......;)...
You have to kearn my trick...Cook....send the kids to the store.....I hate crowds so I will avoid the stores till the new year come in.....LOL....

Sempers,

Roger

Osotogary
11-29-03, 02:08 PM
There is a wind chill factor in South Florida. Not bad if one is from a colder climate. Great weather for doing exterior work on the house. It's kind of interesting though that everytime I think about how chilly it is I think about how the weather might be like at the 4,000 foot level and above in the land that has a sweater named after it. Then...I'm not so chilled. Maybe having two sons in or around that area has something to do with it. Bless our warriors. They will prevail.
Happy Day Two (Burp) after Thanksgiving.
Gary (osotogary)

Sparrowhawk
12-01-03, 07:12 AM
Coffee's on, and I just placed some firewood into the fireplace to heat up the house before daughters and wife get up.

Its cold and chilly, actually had to put some pajamas on last night.

Gosh darn, ever since I turned 55, they hand me the senior menu at restaurants, the AARP wants me to join them, and I get hearburn if I eat dinner after 7:00 pm.

reminds me of the stuff you buy at the stores and the warrenty is only good for a year. Sure enough as soon as that year is up, they break.

What's the warrenty on males?

Females seem to get a longer warenty, except my wife, recently she's been complainting about all kinds of aches and pain, and she didn't like it when I mentioned I should trade-her-in, or go looking for a younger model. LOL

Women live longer then men, but do they have the same pains and aches as men during the aging process? I guess i should ask CAS, LOL

Well off to the train, then back to wait for the construction crew to come over and finish the porch.

Osotogary, haven't seen any of your toones lately.

I was hoping to see one of Bush in iraq, under fire, while back home his opponents say, Bush doesn't know what its like to risk his life in a war zone, but none of the major cartoonist picked up on that.

Semper Fi Marines

Cook

thedrifter
12-01-03, 09:38 AM
You can say that again Cook....It is chilly on my end......and going to get colder by evening......Hell I think winter is comming.....LOL...
Ellie put up the heat for me....and she keeps the coffee flowing.....

Last week was busy for 2 of my children...They are managers at WalMart....and had to get ready for Black Friday.....They had a poll going to see when the first fight would break out......The favorite time was 6:15....Well nobody won the pot.....The fight broke out 15 seconds after the store opened.....They said they were giving the folks some credit.......and they wonder why I don't do the stores on that day anymore......

Cook I told Ellie the same thing......and she is much younger than me.....She stated.... You can't keep up with me now....so why go younger :eek: ...Hell that hurt ......LOL....

Well need to go.....Have to go to the VA.....

Have a good day folks......

Sempers,

Roger

Unraveling the Knitting
Isaiah 42:23 Apply the lessons you’ve learned from the past.

Each stitch had been cast on the needles, counted carefully. Now, the pattern would begin. Following directions, I knitted row upon row, working upon my project.Unfortunately, after many rows, I disregard the direction book, thinking I had the pattern set in my mind. It took several more rows before I looked at my piece of work to see something had gone askew. The pattern was off by a couple of stitches, and the entire piece was now wrong. I had to remove the stitches and unravel the rows of hours of work. It was a painstaking ordeal for me for much time and effort had been spent in this piece. Each time I pulled the yarn, and the stitch was removed, it was an “ouch” to me. Soon I was ready to start again. I replaced the stitches on the needle, now paying very close attention to the instruction book. I would check my pattern on every row- seeing if all lined up with the instructions. Finally, the piece was finished- beautifully, I think! Amazing how a knitting project can be completed to perfection when one follows the book of instruction.

Likewise, God has given His people an instruction book. We know it is the Bible. When we follow His directions, our life should stay in His pattern for us, but sometimes things go wrong. Tattered relationships, compulsions, emotional upheavals or fear and doubt can get us off His plan by a stitch or two. They can wreck a marriage. Then the overall pieces of life are out of kilter according to His plan. Healing starts with the unraveling, and painful as it may be. Issues must be faced and removed, just as my knitting had been. It is only then we can begin to rework our “piece of life”, knowing the finished product will be much better than when we had even started it--- remembering to follow God’s handbook each and every day, applying His Word to our lives.

CAS3
12-03-03, 09:23 PM
Hey Cook, I am painting this weekend...any suggestions?

Did you learn any new swear words I might need to use!

Hope the project is coming along well...think of how much lovin your wife is gonna give you when you are done...hope she doesn't cause you heart failure,old man .....hee hee hee

Sparrowhawk
12-04-03, 07:11 AM
Coffee is nice and hot, grab yourself a cup.

getting ready to go to the train station to drop off my daughter.
its suppose to be Saturday, but not around here. Have the drywall texture fellow coming back to finish some work, which means we'll have to repaint over that. drywall texturing is a messy job, I found out, but still glad to have gotten rid of that fufu sissy looking wallpaper.

yes, Cas I swear I could have used new ones had I found any.. Maybe you can teach me some.LOL

Almost fired one of the contruction foreman, and that word spread around real quick around here and everyone else got their work done on time. LOL

Roger's been on my mind heavily over the past few days. Ever since I hear he was in the hospital.

It's amazing how someone you have never met can come into our minds and prayers because of the type of person they are.

But, then that's what makes Marines great, you know you can depend on them and that they will be there when you need them.

Maybe we can be there, now for Roger in our prayers.

Semper Fi

Cook

thedrifter
12-04-03, 09:32 AM
It's cold here today....Getting ready for snow....that suppost to start by tomorrow.....Like I needed to have more problems.....Well Roger has taught me well so....I will adapt and overcome....and get done the mission....

Cook I guess you needed to remind the foreman never get on the bad side of a Marine......LOL....

Thanks for the Prayers.....

Ellie

Sparrowhawk
12-08-03, 07:13 AM
Coffee is hot and fresh, no cream or sugar in the office never use the stuff. Why contaminate the coffee. You’ll have to bring your own, if you use the stuff.

I think I got used to drinking coffee black in Nam.

The stuff came in a small brown bag, and while they supplied sugar and dry powdered cream, you always saved that stuff for the coco you sometimes were lucky to get.

C-rats coffee had a unique taste to it. Like drinking a coke poured over ice in an aluminum canteen cup, nothing like it. The taste remains in your mind forever. Or, was it the camaraderie there in war, in the field that made it taste so good?

Like Christmas around here, folks dropping by for a cup of coffee or to just sit a bit and talk, it makes the cold winter months that much more enjoyable.

Of course by spring time your not in the mood to have anyone drop by, LOL

Well off to the trainstation to drop off my daughter, pray Rogers operation goes well..

SF, everyone

Cook

Sparrowhawk
12-11-03, 06:09 AM
Coffee is fresh, just pour yourself a cup.

A bit warm today, it was suppose to rain, but the rain never came.

Got the front porch completed, sat out there earlier today. I love it when the world is quite when it sleeps, and you wonder who is on watch.

What is going on the other side of the world, where our military men have to place themselves in harms way for the freedom we enjoy. I remember thinking about that 36 years ago. Late at night or on the early morning watch in Vietnam. “What’s going on in the real world?” the world back at home.

Reading what the drifter posted this morning, "To All Those Who Rallied In Support Of Nation." reminded me of the breakfast I had with two veterans yesterday. One of them in the Navy during the Vietnam War, echoed what the lady said in the story above, and I couldn't help to think, how protestors think the same way and that in turn hurts our military presence in those nations.

I still believe that if we hadn't stuck in Afghanistan, Iraq and I hope soon, Saudi Arabia, we would be experiencing terrorist incident here at home weekly. I support our president he has earned his right to be commander-in-chief by his actions, and our troops deserve our support.

Freedom is not cheap, we've paid a heavy price for what we enjoy today, and that's why many consider us their enemy. They will never experience the life we enjoy, freedom from dictators, and religious individuals that control the masses in some of those counties.

God Bless America

Semper Fi

Cook

thedrifter
12-11-03, 10:38 AM
Goodmorning

Did get home in time to see what snow we had....but the heavy rain, and warm air came in last night to start melting all the snow....So now we are in the flood stage...... I just love this weather.....

Came home tuesday sore and tired.....Sleeped a lot.....Yesterday felt better, but had to take cat naps......
Today....I feel much better, still not at normal strength...but Ellie is making sure I'm comfortable....Yes Cook she can take advantage of me, but she had that power before this....LOL...
Yes, I'm listening to Ellie.....If any of you know her, you will know you, you don't mess with her....or she will make your life hell.....LOL...I learned that a long time ago.....She has to be strong....Who else can put up with me....LOL

Terry (mrbsox) put a funny in yesterday about me.....Terry it hurts when I laugh so watch it.....LOL....but I enjoyed it....
I'm around.....Talk later.....

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
12-16-03, 09:59 AM
Goodmorning

We have had snow, and then rain, then snow, and more rain for the last few days... It suppost to start raining again tomorrow and then change to snow.....Just crazy weather.....

Feeling tired...most of the time.....but still kicking......LOL...Will be getting a blood test in the next few days....to see how I'm doing.....No word yet on the tumor.....I believe the wait is the hardest part for me....Not knowing what is next in my future....I always planned my goals.....Life is always a mystery.....

Most folks are doing there last minute shopping....I guess....Ellie has been trying to do some in between her normal schedule, decorating, and taking care of me.....She is strong.....
The children and Ellie will be getting the tree in the next few days....Still love the real ones....

Sempers,

Roger

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging
thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening
the strong.
You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down
the wage payer.
You cannot further brotherhood of man by
encouraging class hatred.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot establish sound security on borrowed
money.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more
than you earn.
You cannot build character and courage by taking
away men's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for
them what they could and should do for themselves.
Abraham Lincoln

thedrifter
12-26-03, 11:23 AM
Goodafternoon

Day after Christmas.....Gloomy day here....Saying we might get a few snow furries...The past few days we have had warm weather....spring like weather.....Now today makes it feel like winter.......

Christmas seems to be different....Not like we were younger....Seems to me most folks lost the True Meaning of the Holiday.......

Got quite a fe suprises this year....but Ellie has done that all the years we have been married...Never can figure out what she is going to do.....LOL....Cook I'm with you can't figure out women.....LOL

Wanted to let you know...that I will going into the hospital again on Monday...for another test to see if the kidney is causing all the cancer....They have found cancer on my both hip bones and on my liver which is spreading.....Now they are going to figure out if the kidney is causing it...or is it 2 types.....After that they will decide which way to go.....

Ellie is keeping me as comfortable as possible...and the support of my family and friends keeps me fighting......

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
05-15-04, 08:28 PM
So, I pulled into a Big Mac, and when I went to pay this good looking women is at the window, she's maybe in her 30's.

I gave her the money and as she hands me my food I see this piece of Jewery in her tongue right in the middle of it.

Now, I enjoy women wearing Jewery but in the tongue?

oh

oH

OH!

now, I get it...

LOL

Sparrowhawk
05-15-04, 08:29 PM
b right back

I'm going back for fries...LOL

Sparrowhawk
06-03-04, 10:22 AM
Sitting out on the porch, this morning drinking my coffee, thinking about mowing the lawn, but I figure if I do that, it would only encourage it to grown some more.

Moved the bird feeder out to the front of the house and all kinds of colorful birds that look like sparrows come by to feed on it. Yellow, orange and red breast ones. Don't know what they are.

I guess I should get me a Bird book, so that I would know what I am looking at, but I don't think the birds care one way or the other.

Some like to sing and I think they get a bit irritated with me when I try to imitate their call.

Hummingbirds ignore me, and I've gotten them to drink from the feeder when I hold it up. Saw one of them attack a large Crow the other day, big bird had raided the hummingbirds nest and had the egg in its mouth, and that hummingbird was chasing and striking at the crow until the Crow dropped the egg.

The Crow only stopped and picked it up again as the hummingbird ran air strikes on him. Finally the little humming bird flew off. I guess if I would have had my M60, I would have blasted that Crow to bits just for GP.

Morning glories a re popping on the inside of the picket fence and they are looking pretty. Women from the neighborhood stop by to admire them but can't stand the talkative ones too long and I excuse myself.

Still one day soon when I really retire I’ll top growing the flowers and as people walk in front of the house I'll just toss the empty beer cans at them, and tell them to go away. LOL

Cook

thedrifter
06-03-04, 10:46 AM
Goodmorning Marines

Pretty quiet around here...Birds are chirping, but don't have the time to see which ones......Weather is picture perfect today.....only going up to 80........

Around my house.....All I seem to do is clean the house.....With 5 in the house, for some reason.....it seems always messy....or is it I don't like to see a mess....:eek: Whatever I have been doing this for the last 26 years......That might have to change soon...since I been fighting SS...and the VA....Hell I was told, I'm too young and need to get a job......I just love our Gov't......I work to have other folks come in Our Country and use Our Money.......

Well I better get some more work done.....Never know who will be stopping by.......

All have A Good Day

Ellie

yellowwing
06-03-04, 12:26 PM
Well there is only two of us, and there always seems to be dishes that need washing, luandry to wash, and cat hair to sweep up. <br />
<br />
What did momma-sans charge for these services? I was never overseas,...

Sparrowhawk
06-03-04, 01:15 PM
it was always five dollars... LOL

cjwright90
06-04-04, 11:32 AM
Hummingbirds ignore me, and I've gotten them to drink from the feeder when I hold it up. Saw one of them attack a large Crow the other day, big bird had raided the hummingbirds nest and had the egg in its mouth, and that hummingbird was chasing and striking at the crow until the Crow dropped the egg.

Tuefel Kolibri
"Devil Hummingbird"

Was the red on his head in a high and tight?

Sparrowhawk
06-17-04, 08:58 AM
What's going on in your life today?

thedrifter
06-17-04, 09:16 AM
Too damn Hot around here.....We need a little relief.....

Been a little busy for the last few days.....I get one thing accomplished, and have to add 2 more things to my list.....When does it ever end.......LOL

I think I need to take a break today....

Ellie

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/100346.jpg

Sparrowhawk
06-17-04, 12:25 PM
I am not gona comment on the pic of that cat...lmao

Osotogary
06-17-04, 06:00 PM
Knock off the pornography!!! LMAO
I guess is that if I was a cat....I'd be in love. (I'm really hoping that my eyesight is not deceiving me. It is a female, is it not?)

yellowwing
06-17-04, 07:53 PM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/fatcat.jpg
Didn't we give you Kevlar in last year's budget?

Osotogary
06-17-04, 09:20 PM
With or without Kevlar.

Sparrowhawk
07-18-04, 10:47 AM
Went to see a few movies yesterday, theatre hopping. We had gone to Costco for lunch, wiener and a coke for $1.50 was worth it, but was still hungry. Told wife, we should have gone through the store first and sampled all the goodies they always give out as samples.

We tried to pay for the extra movies but they said we didn't need to.
I guess they figured, I paid enough $14.00 for two adult tickets (military discount) otherwise $9.00. Then $16.00 for a bucket of popcorn, and two sodas (but you get a free refill on each). I guess they figure you'll stick around and buy more stuff, which is usually the case.

Anyways saw;

THE NOTEBOOK
Saw the movie "The Notebook," wife said, movie at times better then book, but didn't follow the book either. A chick flick that will make her cry and appreciate you more, so go ahead and spend the $7-9 bucks, but sneak in your own refreshments. Worth seeing

Premise: A retired salesman (Garner) visits an elderly woman (Rowlands) suffering from Alzheimer's disease in a nursing home regularly to read from a notebook on her shelf which tells the story of two young men (Gosling, Connolly) in North Carolina in 1946 who were both courting the same girl (McAdams), with the film "flashbacking" to that time as he reads the story. It soon becomes clear that she is the young woman, and he is one of the young men...

TERMINAL
Saw Terminal, a good laugh, nothing to write home about, airline hostess reminded me of the strewdress on the Continental airlines that took me to Nam, 37 years ago.

The Terminal is based loosely around the real-life story of an Iranian man who was trapped by a bureaucratic snafu at Charles DeGaulle Airport outside Paris, and then simply refused to leave once he was cleared. Tom Hanks plays Viktor Navorski, a traveler from the fictional country of Krakhozia, who learns upon landing at JFK in New York that a civil war at home has put a serious crimp in his visa plans. Unable to enter America and unable to return home, Viktor goes about building a temporary new life for himself inside the airport.

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/spider_man_2/_group_photos/kirsten_dunst3.jpg

SPIDERMAN
Then saw Spiderman. Outstanding, enjoyed it want to see spidy 3, when it comes out. Everyone needs a hero, and I realize how many heroes there are that visit this board everyday or drop in every once in awhile, We try to do good, because of our makeup our Marine Corps training because only the best get in and it changes our lives, so we go around doing good, but every once in awhile we do get that need to kick the cat.

Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man returns in the sequel to the record-breaking blockbuster movie debut for Marvel Comics' flagship character. Tobey Maguire returns as Peter Parker, the nerd-turned-hero, to face new threats to New York City and the people he loves.

thedrifter
07-18-04, 12:23 PM
Goodmorning Marines

Quiet Sunday here on my end....Two of my children are working..(Invertory)...One on vacation and other is trying to bother me.....(Oldest son loves keeping me on my toes;) )

Weather is hot, and rainning, with more storms scheduled for the rest of the day....We have had major storms all week, which has caused flooding and tornados, in the area....and starting to get sick of the rain......

Yesterday, had a few things to do....The major thing was to get my car fixed....The distrubuter was going on the car, and was driving me crazy when the car started only when it wanted to....My brother placed a new one in for me, and I have back my power to say when I want to go, it listens....LOL....

Another brother was having a pool party so family and friends were all heading there by afternoon.....Sometimes I need to get out of the house....i don't do that to often.

Did get a tattoo the other week....I know I must be hanging around you Marines to much.....LOL....I always teased Roger that I would get his name tattooed on my body...Well I did. centerized in a heart with a cross.....I will get a pic that you all can see.....

Glad to hear, you and Your Better Half, are going out to catch up on the movies....I never went to the movies much....Enjoyed the comfort of the home to view them...So I will add them on my wish list, and will wait for the DVD to come out........

Have A Great Day Marines

Ellie

HardJedi
07-18-04, 06:05 PM
Never go to the movies much? dang! I went to the theatre 87 times last year. only been 32 times so far this year( i am slipping) and yes, I keep all my ticket stubs! LOL ( that's how I keep track of how many times I go.)

anyway, today is a day like any other, HOT AND HUMID!

MAN! do I HATE Missouri summers!LOL:banana: