PDA

View Full Version : COL John Glenn USMC-Ret Biographical Error

TunTvrnWarrior
03-18-11, 12:40 AM
I happened to click on the website "The John and Annie Glenn Historic Site and Exploration Center" and read the Senator's biography. Here is the last paragraph:

"John Glenn, soldier, pilot, astronaut, corporate executive, and senator, has taken on a new role. Upon his retirement from the senate and return from space, John and Annie Glenn founded the John Glenn Institute for Public Service at the Ohio State University. Through its programs, they seek to improve the quality of public service and to encourage young people to pursue careers in government. The Glenns also serve as trustees of Muskingum College, their alma mater."

The link to the biography is: (http://www.johnglennhome.org/john_glenn.shtml)

When you have time, please write a very "respectful" email to the administrator explaining that instead of "soldier", they may want to put "MARINE" in all CAPS. Here is their EMAIL: jgmuseum@newconcord-oh.gov :evilgrin:

USNAviator
03-18-11, 06:20 AM
Mike unfortunately in the public's eye there is little distinction. But I totally agree and will and off a note. The original Seven were hero's of mine as a kid. I believe only Glenn and Scott Carpenter are the remaining survivors

TunTvrnWarrior
03-18-11, 03:00 PM
Mike unfortunately in the public's eye there is little distinction. But I totally agree and will and off a note. The original Seven were hero's of mine as a kid. I believe only Glenn and Scott Carpenter are the remaining survivors

Thanks Dan. We need to send emails from just more than two people though. I am encouraging everyone to send a respectful note to the site administrator listed at the beginning of this thread. Here is an example of a letter written to them, I would encourage you to use your own words:

To Whom it May Concern:
As I perused COL John Glenn's (USMC-Retired) biography (http://www.johnglennhome.org/john_glenn.shtml (http://www.johnglennhome.org/john_glenn.shtml)), I was surprised to find that he is listed as a "soldier" in the last paragraph. Here is the quote in context:

"John Glenn, soldier, pilot, astronaut, corporate executive, and senator, has taken on a new role. Upon his retirement from the senate and return from space, John and Annie Glenn founded the John Glenn Institute for Public Service at the Ohio State University. Through its programs, they seek to improve the quality of public service and to encourage young people to pursue careers in government. The Glenns also serve as trustees of Muskingum College, their alma mater."

Senator John Glenn, has never been a United States Soldier. He is and will always be a United States "MARINE". I respectfully request on behalf of all of my brother and sister MARINES that you remove the word "soldier" and replace it with the title that he earned called, "MARINE" in all capital letters.

Sure, I sound like a nut. But, poll any family member, colleague, or friend who has served as a MARINE, and they will explain to you how important this is. Should you speak to the good Senator, tell him I said "Semper Fi" and thank you for so honorably serving my country.

Respectfully,
XXXX XXXXXX

USNAviator
03-18-11, 04:13 PM
Mike it makes me wonder if Col. Glenn ( not going to call him Senator, to me he will always be Colonel) has anything at all to do with that website.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-18-11, 04:57 PM
Mike it makes me wonder if Col. Glenn ( not going to call him Senator, to me he will always be Colonel) has anything at all to do with that website.

COL Glenn should be close to 90 years old by now. He did visit them last year and had dinner in his boyhood home.

FoxtrotOscar
03-18-11, 09:34 PM
Letter sent downrange.... SF

USNAviator
03-19-11, 10:59 AM
Mike just sent off an email to the link you provided and contacted 2 friends who will do so as well. Hopefully they will get the message

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 09:56 PM
Moving this as it's not political in my opinion....

USNAviator
03-23-11, 09:58 PM
Actually it might get a little more response here. Thank you!!

TunTvrnWarrior
03-23-11, 10:05 PM
Thanks Lep, we need to send as many emails as possible from different individuals.

USNAviator
03-23-11, 10:08 PM
Thanks Lep, we need to send as many emails as possible from different individuals.

Mike I haven't heard anything have you?

TunTvrnWarrior
03-23-11, 10:11 PM
Mike I haven't heard anything have you?

I havent heard anything from them Sir.

Garyius
03-25-11, 07:58 AM
For me, he alwasy rated the title 'criminal'. Screwing the Corps and the other services every chance he got, taking bribes, just being evil.

Troutzilla
03-25-11, 08:24 AM
A shot was fired from the 7th Marines.....

( a little fact that I did not know....Ted Williams ( Boston HOFer) once flew as a wingman to Col. Glenn)

Semper Fi
Mike

:flag:

USNAviator
03-25-11, 11:44 AM
For me, he alwasy rated the title 'criminal'. Screwing the Corps and the other services every chance he got, taking bribes, just being evil.

Other than his big screw up with the Keating scandal, which he and McCain were exonerated I can't think of anything else he did that would be considered dishonorable. BTW, that's why I refer to him as Col. Anyone who has earned 5 DFC's and 5 AM's, first American to orbit the earth rates OK in my book

Garyius, if you have something to add please do. But Mike started this whole thread to change Glenn's bio from soldier to Marine. Whether you like him or his politics or not, I think you'd have to agree he rates the title he earned

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Colonel_John_Glenn_official_photo.jpg/220px-Colonel_John_Glenn_official_photo.jpg

TunTvrnWarrior
03-25-11, 02:08 PM
I cant recall any unethical behavior from Col Glenn. But, it may be because I am a little younger than y'all. I am sure he pulled some strings to go up in the Shuttle, but I can't fault him for that. They didnt want him to fly anymore because of the danger of losing a national icon after the Mercury program. I would have loved to have seen him in the Apollo program. I am on the opposite end of the political spectrum from him, but cant help but like the man as a Marine and as an Astronaut.

BauerBrat
03-25-11, 02:48 PM
Col. Glenn was a Marine first, an astronaut second and a politician third. If he some how messed up the third one, it doesn't diminish from the first two. I'd be honored to meet him.

Garyius
03-28-11, 12:20 PM
Keating 5, of course. He voted to cut military funding every chance he got. He skunked the China bribery committee investigation to get the democrats off the hook. He pushed disarmament every chance he got, and tried to hand over control of reactors to the UN.

Other than his big screw up with the Keating scandal, which he and McCain were exonerated I can't think of anything else he did that would be considered dishonorable. BTW, that's why I refer to him as Col. Anyone who has earned 5 DFC's and 5 AM's, first American to orbit the earth rates OK in my book

Garyius, if you have something to add please do. But Mike started this whole thread to change Glenn's bio from soldier to Marine. Whether you like him or his politics or not, I think you'd have to agree he rates the title he earned

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Colonel_John_Glenn_official_photo.jpg/220px-Colonel_John_Glenn_official_photo.jpg

USNAviator
03-28-11, 01:11 PM
Keating 5, of course. He voted to cut military funding every chance he got. He skunked the China bribery committee investigation to get the democrats off the hook. He pushed disarmament every chance he got, and tried to hand over control of reactors to the UN.

Thank you for the info, I did not know most of what you mentioned. So as to the original post, do you agree that Col. Glenn should be referred to as a Marine or as a soldier in the bio mentioned?

Marine1011
03-28-11, 01:18 PM
garyius, missed the point, I do believe!

Sgt Leprechaun
03-28-11, 06:23 PM
Interesting. I'd like to see some independent links for that. While I might have disagreed with the Colonel on some of his views, he always had my respect. Loved 'The Right Stuff' LOL. I always sorta considered him one of the last 'conservative' type dems...was I wrong?

TunTvrnWarrior
04-11-11, 10:12 PM
If you click on the link now, they have changed Col. Glenn's biography to correctly reflect that he is a Marine in the last paragraph. Unfortunatly, they changed the website design to include a symbol that is obscene to say the least.