PDA

View Full Version : Life in an Intel Battalion?

ferreira864
03-17-11, 12:07 AM
Hello Marines, my name is Jonathan Ferreira and I'm a poolee. I just have a few questions about the intelligence MOS (As far as I know, I have thoroughly done my homework). I know that 0231 is not a...

Tennessee Top
03-17-11, 01:00 AM
I was not in the 02 field so cannot answer any questions specific to that MOS. Others will be along who can.

But, I did lead plenty of junior Marines and can tell you proficiency (or lack thereof) is defenitely noticed and regularly documented. All Marines, regardless of rank, are evaluated for promotions and assignments and then compared to their peers. Those deemed most deserving will be the ones selected for promotion. On top of that, there is an awards program for Marines who go above and beyond and are a credit to the Marine Corps (an example may be a junior Marine who earns the Navy Achievement Medal for their hard work leading up to and resulting in his Company/Battalion receiving an outstanding grade on an inspection). Another example is meritorious promotions; hard to come by and as the name implies, only given to the very best. One way to earn a meritorious promotion is to win the "Marine of the Quarter" or "Marine of the Year" for your base.

So yes, everything you do or fail to do will be noticed. Competition for promotions and special assignments is keen but they are there for the most deserving. Nothing is given; it takes hard work, the right attitude, flexibility, dedication, and sacrafice to attain your goals as a Marine.

Quinbo
03-17-11, 01:08 AM
Unless I'm mistaken Intel battalions, much like recon battalions are not some consolidated war machine all milling about smartly in tandem. You could very well find yourself attached to a unit where you and a hand full of other intel bubbas are performing your job. You would fall under the intell battalion in name only.

ferreira864
03-17-11, 01:13 AM
I really appreciate the response. It's comforting to know that, because you always hear the disgruntled people talking about how junior enlisted do nothing but mindless chores for their unconcerned superiors. Of course you do have to do the basics and prove yourself with the easy stuff before getting any responsibility. However, I'm assuming, that those complaining about that lacked initiative, and were blaming the Corps for their own deficiencies.

TinDragon
03-17-11, 06:41 AM
You'll end up in more than Intel Battalions, though that is a likely place for you to go. All of the MEFs and DIVs have a G-2 shop which is comprised of all sorts of 02s. Not sure about Radio Battalions, but with all the 2651s and 2621s that end up there, I can only assume there would be some 02s as well. And of course there's all sorts of other misc. places like the Pentagon.

And as a side note, unless they've changed things you won't be guarenteed the 0231 job (or any 02 job) if your contract is for the DD "Intel" option. That also encompasses all of the 2600 field, minus the linguists.

WXSgt
03-17-11, 07:25 PM
I am not intel however i am in an Intel Bn in the same company as the analysts and all. no we do not go to the field all the time no you will not just fall under Intel just by name. You do get deployed to MEUS and to OEF, if you were with the MEU like me your TAD to the MEU for workups and then the deployment and a short time after. In OEF your still Intel BN. There are some who go TAD for long periods of time as has been said but still ALOT of analysts are stuck at Intel BN at least here at the 1st. Now as for being a hardened killer you will get training before you deploy and possibly go in the field for a week as I did before my deployment. Any other questions i will try and answer but remember i cant tell you the specifics as im not in that MOS just work with them.

devilbones2
03-18-11, 05:41 PM
How do you know you are going to be an 0231? If you are an 0261 your choices are very slim for a first duty station. If you are a 31 you can join just about any unit in the USMC as they all have an S2/G2 and you will be able to do whatever your heart desires.

26XXer
03-22-11, 02:58 PM
As has already been stated... the DD contract is any 02xx/26xx MOS, and talent/proficiency are definitely big factors in the Intel community as it is so small... being good and/or bad as a PFC will follow you for a very long time. The opportunities for junior enlisted Marines in the 02xx/26xx fields are limited, but take as many schools as they offer and constantly work on expanding your knowledge of the community as a whole. When you hit Corporal and the 0211/2611 and some of the joint billets start to open up it's a whole new ball game...

Tuned4Life
03-29-11, 01:20 PM
Like all marines above have stated, you won't be guarenteed the 0231 job (or any 02 job) if your contract is for the DD "Intel" option. That also encompasses all of the 2600 field, minus the linguist.

I am an 0231, and signed the same contract you did. I wanted to be an 02xx not a 26xx. During bootcamp all the marines whose contract required them to possess a TS/SCI clearance(02xx/26xx) were all taken to an auditorium to be screened one by one in a very dark room while the others wait. There were about 8 of us. 6 of us went off to 0231 school in Damneck Naval Base in Virginia Beach, and the other 2 went off to 26xx school to Pensacola. So your chances of being an 02xx are quite higher than being a 26xx. Plus the fleet needs more 02xx's than 26xx's because basically every unit in the Corps has an S2/G2 where the intel shop is and as far as I know 26xx just go to Radio Battalions. But I really don't know too much about 26xx's.

I just got off deployment and and my pre deployment training did not really include any field training excersises(I got kinda screwed on that because i wanted to, plus I am here at the airwing). I am not at the Intel Battalions but I have friends in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Intel Battalion and I keep in touch with them and they tell me what they are up to. They do sometimes go and do field excersises, but not all too often. There is a very high possibility that you will get attached to an Infantry, Artillery, or some type of ground unit and whatever field training excersise your unit is doing, your doing it too. I have a buddy who is an 0231 over in 29 palms at one of their Artillery Battalions and they go on field ops for as long as 2-3 weeks every couple of months and is hating life up in the stumps. Also you may go to the largest training program to the stumps, Mojave Viper, that a lot of units participate for pre deployment. Not going into detail on that just do your research.

Talent is noticed in the Intel field. During my deployment as a LCpl, I briefed officers, pilots, and other enlisted marines with heavy chevrons about 2-4 times a day depending on how busy our day was. If they see that you are providing them with good intel and your briefing skills are excellent you will be noticed. Intel and briefing is not something that your just good at(except for a very few). It's just something you get good at with practice and gaining more knowledge just buy reading and really listening to any 0231's experience who has actually deployed. Briefing is another thing. I wasn't really a good briefer out of the school house and even going into deployment. But now when I brief it's cake and it's just something that you have to gain confidence the more you do it. I was briefing 2-4 times a day on deployment so I was going to get good eventually. I didn't learn SH!TTT from Intel school except what IPB, and AO, and AOI means. I have an awesome Intel Chief and I learned everything I knew from him. Try to absorb as much info from you Intel Chief as much as possible. But if your superiors see you are improving on your intel and your briefing skills your talents will be noticed, and also your SH!TTTTtbaggness will be noticed too if you are one. Because you will be briefing them on what is going on and they will listen to you unless you bullSH!TTt them and lose all credibility.

Well I think I overkilled it. But if you have any other questions let me know.

26XXer
03-29-11, 03:19 PM
I'm going to make a few comments in reference to "Tuned4Life" here. First off, there are SLIGHTLY more 02xx's than 26xx's but the numbers are pretty close. 26xx's go to Radio Battalions, Intel Battalions, Divison/Wing level 2 shops, and a bunch of other places in relation to duties for various 3 letter national agencies. While the bulk of intel work in the field on the 02 side of the house is done by the 0211's (who are lat move only) there are opportunities for other 02xx MOS's to get outside the wire. As a 26xx if you are not a linguist, you are concentrating on technical proficiency on your given equipment. 26xx Marines that are in shape are in very high demand by MARSOC and the Radio Recon program as they are trained to conduct different direction finding missions in relation to hunting targets. Everyone has their slice of the pie, but your public speaking and ability to give presentations is weighted much more heavily as an 02xx because you will spend alot of your time giving briefs. On the 26xx side of the house, your technical proficiency is what comes into play because thats the type of intelligence we're dealing with... If you don't want to have your head crammed full of computer networking, radio wave propagation, antenna construction, communications protocols and all that other techie stuff, then the 02xx route is for you. Coming out of MCT, out of 9 DD contracts... 8 of us went to Pensacola, so 02xx vs 26xx is luck of the draw.

1994formulalt1
04-30-11, 08:11 PM
in the intel field it doesn't matter your rank, if you notice something and bring it to light or are proficient in your mos you will be noticed, especially if you are a good at briefing

topless617
05-03-11, 09:18 PM
I'm in school right now for 0261. They are definately putting more Marines into this field. When our class is up, we have 3 options on where to go; oki, cali, or nc.

SillySteve69
05-03-11, 10:43 PM
oooohrahhhh!!!!!!!!
:banana:

SillySteve69 Motivation!!!:flag::iwo:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-11, 09:36 PM
Hmmm....no profile....no posting.

devilbones2
05-05-11, 05:04 AM
I'm in school right now for 0261. They are definately putting more Marines into this field. When our class is up, we have 3 options on where to go; oki, cali, or nc.
Good luck topless, I am a former 0261 and my buddy is a GySgt instructor there. I am looking to come back in to a reservist billet down in Quantico. Good luck, maybe I will see you around sometime.

YLDNDN6
05-05-11, 05:28 AM
Hey 26XXer, you forgot to mention signal multiplexing...LOL