PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos policy in the Marine Corps

yesse
03-16-11, 04:49 AM
I DONT UNDERSTANd WHY OR HOW a tattoo affects your work out in the line of duty.i believe is total bull**** that they are getting stricter on tattoos.some people have tattoos that mean a whole lot to them that the upper people that are putting these stupid policy would never ****en understand.I was told i couldn't join the marines because i went over the tattoos limit ,have visible tattoos and tried to send me to an army recruiter,i dont have anything against the army but if im joining the military i am joining the marines.So i guess i am going to go on the tattoo removal process for the marines,not for all those ass wholes putting these policy down,the only thing thats stopping me is the money,they are charging me hundreds to get something that means a lot to me removed.:devious:

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 05:57 AM
I DONT UNDERSTANd WHY OR HOW a tattoo affects your work out in the line of duty.i believe is total bull**** that they are getting stricter on tattoos.some people have tattoos that mean a whole lot to them that the upper people that are putting these stupid policy would never ****en understand.I was told i couldn't join the marines because i went over the tattoos limit ,have visible tattoos and tried to send me to an army recruiter,i dont have anything against the army but if im joining the military i am joining the marines.So i guess i am going to go on the tattoo removal process for the marines,not for all those ass wholes putting these policy down,the only thing thats stopping me is the money,they are charging me hundreds to get something that means a lot to me removed.:devious:

It's a new Marine Corps but it's still the Marine Corps, high standards, self discipline, self esteem, courage, tradition. You'll know if you make it. If. the tat standards are set now so that when someone is wearing the Uniform of a United States Marine that person doesn't look like a 'gang banger' or jailbird. If one is wearing short sleeves the tat should be high on the upper arm. Save the tats for later. By your photo you appear to be a lovely young lady. Don't be messing yourself up with 'gansta' crap.

I've got Marine tats on both upper arms. When I wear a S/S shirt they don't show. I'm proud of them and the only time I wear a sleeveless t-shirt is at the Legion because it p****s off the Army guys.

The forearm thing you have looks like it was done my a stuttering chinese waiter with Tourette's Syndrome.

HIP:D

Lisa 23
03-16-11, 07:53 AM
'Marines' is always capitalized on this site.
And don't go bashing those 'upper people', who you are referring to, they are Marines, not a$$wholes.

Old Marine
03-16-11, 09:27 AM

First of all there young lady, I have an answer for you. This is not some Gansta club, it is the United States Marine Corps and this club lives on its history and traditions. If you do not like the way it is being led, then stay away and go away. We do not need to fill our ranks with wannabe bangers who cannot follow our regulations. We do not need you.:evilgrin:

Gunz
03-16-11, 11:31 AM
'Marines' is always capitalized on this site.
And don't go bashing those 'upper people', who you are referring to, they are Marines, not a$$wholes.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Gunz
03-16-11, 11:32 AM
First of all there young lady, I have an answer for you. This is not some Gansta club, it is the United States Marine Corps and this club lives on its history and traditions. If you do not like the way it is being led, then stay away and go away. We do not need to fill our ranks with wannabe bangers who cannot follow our regulations. We do not need you.:evilgrin:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Tennessee Top
03-16-11, 12:16 PM
You are correct; tattoos do not affect your work in the line of duty.

But, tattoos do have an affect on your appearance in uniform and the Marine Corps does have a strict military appearance program. For instance, you cannot be fat and be a Marine because you would not look good in your uniform (I imagine fat people believe this is a bunch of crap too). We want our Marines looking healthy and professional in uniform, not like Hells Angels or Nazi racists. The statement you make when you wear our uniform is "I am a member of the finest fighting outfit in the world" not "I am an individual...look at all this amazing ink work I have all over my body; isn't it beautiful?".

Whenever I had Women Marines in my shop/formation, I expected them to present a clean/neat, professional, military appearance every day. I would not want to see a female Marine with a bunch of tattoos on her arms, neck, or legs and am glad the rules exist.

When it comes time to get promoted in the Marine Corps, one of the things you're graded on is military appearance. Even if you have the minimum number of tattoos to enlist, you have to realize that any visible tattoos may stop you from getting promoted. Doubt you would want a job with little promotion opportunities.

As a civilian, you are totally within your rights to mark and abuse your body any way you desire. But, the military is not a democracy and you actually give up many of those individual rights (tattoos are only one very small example).What you are learning now is there are consequences right or wrong. Everybody does not share your views about body art (the Marine Corps in particular).

I have a Marine Corps tattoo on my shoulder which is not visible with a t-shirt on. That tattoo is important to me and I know it's there. Doesn't matter to me that others can't see it unless I want them to; I can show it to anyone I want to. Having it covered does not deminish the importance of that tattoo in my mind and that's all that matters.

You can have tattoos all over your body or you can have them where they can be covered...your choice. As you're learning, if you're going to have them all over your body you will be limiting your job/career opportunities. Fair or not, that's the world you live in today. It's all about choices; the choices we make today will affect our life tomorrow. People make good and bad choices every day.

Zulu 36
03-16-11, 04:53 PM
Here is the other deal too. The Marine Corps is full and will be downsizing soon. Recruiters are picky these days. Getting in is very hard and the recruiter probably knows that you will not get a tattoo waiver in his recruiting district. So why bother?

Here is a old Marine Corps saying to live by: "You don't have to like the orders you're given, but you do have to obey them."

Marine84
03-16-11, 06:55 PM
Top hit it dead on.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 07:24 PM
I suggest a very, very fast attitude adjustment, lass. Because if I see or hear of you referring to higher command level staff in anything other than a tone of respect, awe, and/or fear, you'll find out just what happens. You've got a massive attitude problem ALREADY and I fear it will do you NO favors IF you are accepted into the Marine Corps.

So check that crap at the door, and either get them removed, or seek employment ELSEwhere.

Period.