PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with my first step. (Poolee)

Skiggs
03-16-11, 12:13 AM
Ok, first off I am trying to losing weight and reach my minimum goal of 215 lbs. That is the max weight for my height to enlist in the Corps as far as I know (about 5' 10"). I first started off at 278.8 lbs; I am currently at 247-248 as of today(it fluctuates depending on what I've eaten or have done). So I have roughly lost 30 lbs, the problem is I have slowed down and stopped losing. I know of plateaus and stuff but I've maintained this weight for a few weeks now. I first started off running 5 days a week for a mile each day on a treadmill(I live in Minnesota and currently there is snow outside so outdoors running isn't possible for a little while yet). I increased the speed as time went on then decreased it a little and increased the incline to 1%, I was told that simulates running on the road. I have recently added in weightlifting to my routine. My question is are there any ideas, tips, strategies, etc; that you would provide me so I can continue to lose weight and become more physically fit? I did a search about weight but the results I found were over a month old and more geared towards those first starting off. This does include ideas for certain foods, whether to stick to or avoid.

Thanks

-Zac

DanM
03-16-11, 12:48 AM
Maybe you should have gotten a set of cross country ski's.You would have been outside and had a full workout instead of playing on a treadmill.

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 01:20 AM
Maybe you should have gotten a set of cross country ski's.You would have been outside and had a full workout instead of playing on a treadmill.

Just start drinking....:sick:HIP

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 01:22 AM

Oops. Wrong guy...i gotta stop drinking!:beer:

iamspartacus
03-16-11, 11:51 AM
Why can't you run in the snow? And do you have a gym membership?

Skiggs
03-16-11, 06:38 PM
Why can't you run in the snow? And do you have a gym membership?It's a combination of snow and ice which wouldn't be a good idea because I might injure myself and hinder me from running if it happens. I don't have one but I go to our high school's weight room at the end of every school day.

SwedishMarine
03-18-11, 09:06 PM
"I live in Minnesota and currently there is snow outside so outdoors running isn't possible for a little while yet"

If you are going to let a little something like snow stand between you and your goals, then I have no idea why the hell you are joining the Corps. If snow is an obstacle, then your job is to overcome it. Snow shouldn't prevent you from PT. Believe me, I know.

Skiggs
03-18-11, 10:18 PM
"I live in Minnesota and currently there is snow outside so outdoors running isn't possible for a little while yet"

If you are going to let a little something like snow stand between you and your goals, then I have no idea why the hell you are joining the Corps. If snow is an obstacle, then your job is to overcome it. Snow shouldn't prevent you from PT. Believe me, I know.I see where you're coming from, I'll attempt running and doing my PT in the snow. Aside from that, do you have any other advice? Maybe something you liked to do for PT with or without the snow? (Question is open to any/everyone else)

josephd
03-18-11, 11:17 PM
you are only running 1 mile a day, 5 days a week. That is nowhere near enough to burn any significant amount of calories. I would suggest running 3-4 miles at a time 4 days a week.

Circuit courses are one of the best workouts IMO...

400 meter sprint
max set of pullups
400 meter sprint
30 wide push ups
400 meter
max set of crunches
400 meter
some sort of dips
400 meter
diamond/close push ups
etc...

you can mix up the workouts in between the runs to whatever works for you really. You just need to be sure you put out and max everything out to failure.When you get done with this, if you can still walk right and you havent puked you didn't work hard enough.

Covey_Rider
03-18-11, 11:36 PM
The problem is you're not progressing your workout. Your body has become accustomed to running a mile each day, 5 days a week. That is why your body has hit a point to where it has stopped losing weight. I wouldn't go straight into a 3-4 mile run, due to the fact that you won't be able to do it. Move it up to 2 miles a day for a week or two and then up to 3 miles, so on and so forth.

Diet is a huge part of losing weight. If you drink soda, stop and you'll see weight drop. Stick to small portioned meals spread throughout the day. Limit your intake of carbs and starches as well. You want your body to start burning the fat instead of burning what you're eating. Stick to salads with a light dressing, stay away from ranch dressing etc. While the gym is a good idea, you need to tailor your workouts towards burning fat and not building muscle if you're wanting to drop weight. You just need to sweat...a LOT.

The max weight for enlistment should not be your goal either, you need to drop it down lower then that otherwise you're going to get destroyed when you reach boot camp.

Skiggs
03-19-11, 11:17 AM
The problem is you're not progressing your workout. Your body has become accustomed to running a mile each day, 5 days a week. That is why your body has hit a point to where it has stopped losing weight. I wouldn't go straight into a 3-4 mile run, due to the fact that you won't be able to do it. Move it up to 2 miles a day for a week or two and then up to 3 miles, so on and so forth.

Diet is a huge part of losing weight. If you drink soda, stop and you'll see weight drop. Stick to small portioned meals spread throughout the day. Limit your intake of carbs and starches as well. You want your body to start burning the fat instead of burning what you're eating. Stick to salads with a light dressing, stay away from ranch dressing etc. While the gym is a good idea, you need to tailor your workouts towards burning fat and not building muscle if you're wanting to drop weight. You just need to sweat...a LOT.

The max weight for enlistment should not be your goal either, you need to drop it down lower then that otherwise you're going to get destroyed when you reach boot camp.I always drink water except in the morning when I have cereal, my lunch that I have is salad with an apple or banana usually. No dressing at all. I live out in the country and the nearest "village" is 2.5 miles away, so yesterday I jogged there, took a quick p^ss at the bar and jogged back. I was sore because I wasn't used to it but I think I'll be doing that from now on. And yea, I don't plan on stopping at 215, my current goal is just to reach it. Gotta set goals along the way.

USNAviator
03-19-11, 11:31 AM
I always drink water except in the morning when I have cereal, my lunch that I have is salad with an apple or banana usually. No dressing at all. I live out in the country and the nearest "village" is 2.5 miles away, so yesterday I jogged there, took a quick p^ss at the bar and jogged back. I was sore because I wasn't used to it but I think I'll be doing that from now on. And yea, I don't plan on stopping at 215, my current goal is just to reach it. Gotta set goals along the way.

Well I agree it's good to have goals but do you mind if I ask how you managed at such a young age (relative to me) to put on 278 lbs?

And have you tried doing any pull ups yet? Pulling up your current weight 248 won't be easy I'm sure

But it's all possible if you want it bad enough. Just keep focused on what's at the end and good luck to you

Gunz
03-19-11, 11:49 AM
Weight-watchers online is a good alternative. You might be consuming calories that you are unaware of. It's a good tool to track all food intake and physical activity. I'm not a salesman by any means, but it have worked for me in the past.

Skiggs
03-19-11, 12:28 PM
Well I agree it's good to have goals but do you mind if I ask how you managed at such a young age (relative to me) to put on 278 lbs?

And have you tried doing any pull ups yet? Pulling up your current weight 248 won't be easy I'm sure

But it's all possible if you want it bad enough. Just keep focused on what's at the end and good luck to youThere is no real excuse for it, it started out young then when I was old enough to know it was pure laziness on my part. I'm going to fix that now. No, I am not able to do any pull-ups yet.

USNAviator
03-19-11, 12:33 PM
There is no real excuse for it, it started out young then when I was old enough to know it was pure laziness on my part. I'm going to fix that now. No, I am not able to do any pull-ups yet.

Good honest answers, you'll be OK :thumbup:

Gunz
03-19-11, 12:36 PM
You do realize that once you graduate boot camp your max will be 192 don't you? You must latch on to the disciple that will be taught by your drill instructors. All too many times a Marines graduates boot camp and slips back into his lazy ways.

Skiggs
03-19-11, 12:48 PM
You do realize that once you graduate boot camp your max will be 192 don't you? You must latch on to the disciple that will be taught by your drill instructors. All too many times a Marines graduates boot camp and slips back into his lazy ways.I don't plan on slipping back, I feel a lot better right now than when I didn't do any physical activity. If I don't do any exercise I feel horrible. I know you have no reason to trust or have any faith in me at this point, but I will fix what has been wronged and continue with my goal of earning the EGA. I will come back and show you I can and will do it.

Gunz
03-19-11, 12:53 PM
The more weight you drop before your ship date the better off you will be once you arrive at Boot Camp. I don't know if they still do it but they used to paint a red stripe across the diet recruits chests. Trust me, you don't want to be a diet recruit.