PDA

View Full Version : Should i have taken the NROTC scholarship?

CdtCaptKlopez
03-15-11, 06:15 PM
I'm a cadet in my school's MCJROTC program. Im actually the commanding officer (boss lady). Earlier this year i was asked by my recruiter if i would be interested in applying for the NROTC scholarship since i was qualified for it. Initially i said no because i am dead set on becoming a Marine. He then told me that i could apply, but would not have to take the scholarship, and it would look good for the RSS. This didnt sound like a bad idea, so i applied.
Lo and behold, i actually got the scholarship. In a way im was surprised, but i'm a real nerd too.
The point is, I turned it down, and i've already had a Marine ask me what my major malfunction is!
I've already enlisted and i ship out a whole 3 days after i graduate high school, and i'm going to be an aviation Mechanic- I reeeeally dont want this scholarship! I want some time to do something new, see the world, or even just a few other states!!
But i can't help but feel that i am being stupid by not taking a $180,000 scholarship, and i think i'm having second thoughts.
I suppose what i am asking is- Am i making the right choice to turn it down? Is it selfish of me to turn it down? And is there anyone else who's been in this spot who wishes they had another shot?
All advice is very much appreciated!
Thank you! (sorry for length!)

USNAviator
03-15-11, 06:28 PM
Please fill in your profile, it's a site rule. When you do I and others I'm sure will chime in on this. But one question, doesn't the college that offered you the scholarship offer the Marine option? Most NROTC programs do

CdtCaptKlopez
03-15-11, 06:39 PM
Thank you sir (it is sir, correct? I dont want to offend anyone in my first hour)

I wasn't offered the scholarship through a college, the NCOIC at the RSS told me about it.

SGT7477
03-15-11, 06:43 PM
Thank you sir (it is sir, correct? I dont want to offend anyone in my first hour)

I wasn't offered the scholarship through a college, the NCOIC at the RSS told me about it.
Don't have much of a profile, your answers might end up the same, how about Sir yes Sir, Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin:

USNAviator
03-15-11, 06:52 PM

Yes it is Sir, retired Navy Commander. The Marines allow a few of us token Squids to hang out, sort of add class to the place....:D

USNAviator
03-15-11, 06:55 PM
So is it too late to change your mind or are you having doubts about enlisting? Can you get the scholarship back if you want?

CdtCaptKlopez
03-15-11, 09:41 PM
I don't have any doubts about enlisting at all, its more doubts about not taking the scholarship. That probably doesn't make much sense at all.
See, if i had 4 years before i had to actually USE the scholarship, i would gladly take it right now. It's just a matter of wanting to get out and see places, and try new things. That's why I'm really excited about Aviation Mechanics because i'm a bit of a grease monkey at heart, and its something totally new!
I'm just feeling alot of pressure from my dad (Former Marine), and my JROTC instructor (retired Marine) to take the scholarship.
Is it weird to prefer to go through the dirty, bottom of the totem pole E-1, E-2 phase, rather than go into the Marine Corps as a shiny O-something?

teufelmonteur
03-15-11, 10:07 PM
Yep, definitely should take the scholarship if you still have the opportunity to do so. You have the option to go Marine, although I'm not exactly sure at what point you'll get to make that decision. BUT, I know for a fact that you have the option to do so. Might be when you have to go to OCS (Marine or Navy) between your sophomore and junior years of college. Bottom line: If you take the scholarship, you will still get to do everything you want to do as a Marine (provided the Marines let you do everything you want to do as a Marine, of course).

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 10:35 PM
Threads merged.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-15-11, 11:20 PM
No disrespect intended young lady.... But, what is your major malfunction? You have a free ride through school with no student loans to dog you for a decade or more.

USNAviator
03-16-11, 06:44 AM
I don't have any doubts about enlisting at all, its more doubts about not taking the scholarship. That probably doesn't make much sense at all.
See, if i had 4 years before i had to actually USE the scholarship, i would gladly take it right now. It's just a matter of wanting to get out and see places, and try new things. That's why I'm really excited about Aviation Mechanics because i'm a bit of a grease monkey at heart, and its something totally new!
I'm just feeling alot of pressure from my dad (Former Marine), and my JROTC instructor (retired Marine) to take the scholarship.
Is it weird to prefer to go through the dirty, bottom of the totem pole E-1, E-2 phase, rather than go into the Marine Corps as a shiny O-something?

No it's not weird to want to experience something new and exciting but you can do that by going to college, preferably away from home

You didn't answer my question, can you still accept the scholarship? If not then there is no sense talking about it. It's gone and you're headed into the Corps

Also, if you agree to it, have you been accepted to any college where NROTC is offered? Again if not then this whole discussion is moot

My advice would be to accept the scholarship and have no regrets. After four years, you'll enter into the Corps as an O-1.

Example of what a commission is worth

Pay chart, less than two years in service 2011

O-1 $2784/month

E-2 $1645/month ( I factored in you'd probably make E-2 rather rapidly, if not an E-1 pay is $1467/month)

All these figures are basic pay

DrZ
03-16-11, 07:22 AM
CdtCapt,
I don't know a better way of saying what I want to say. So here it goes. Personally I think you are crazy if you don't take the scholarship. When I was your age, a person could become gainfully employed without having a degree but it has become harder every year.

The following is from 1999 but it will still show you the difference.

Professional Degree

$109,600
Doctoral Degree

$89,400
Master's Degree

$62,300
Bachelor's Degree

$52,200
Associate's Degree

$38,200
Some College

$36,800
High School Graduate

$30,400
Some High School

$23,400

As you can see that is substantial. You need to plan your life by not looking four years down the road but rather 20 years down the road. What happens if you decide to get out of the Corps after 4 years. Can you find a job as an Aviation mechanic? Those are mainly union jobs and you really do have to know someone to get where you want to go. With a degree plus the management experience you will gain as a shiny O something.... you can pick a career path and go forward.

Think long and hard prior to turning down that scholarship. That $180K investment that someone is interested in making in you, will be worth a substantial amount over your lifetime and open many doors for you.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

CdtCaptKlopez
03-16-11, 07:35 AM
I can still accept the scholarship. The NCOIC at the RSS said i have a while to think about it...

By the way, thank y'all for all of the advice! It may not have been exactly what i wanted to hear, but it is no less appreciated!

CdtCaptKlopez
03-16-11, 07:38 AM
I do have another concern. Say i take the scholarship, get commissioned, and enter the Marine Corps as an officer. I hear i can still get whatever job i want (as long as i did well in OCS and all of the other training), but will i probably be at a desk?? I know it's a petty thing, but desk work and i don't really get along...

USNAviator
03-16-11, 07:49 AM
As an officer the only two fields which come with a guarantee are Marine Aviator and JAG Corps.

Here is a list of officer MOS for the Corps

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/officerjobsmenu.htm

DrZ
03-16-11, 08:13 AM
I do have another concern. Say i take the scholarship, get commissioned, and enter the Marine Corps as an officer. I hear i can still get whatever job i want (as long as i did well in OCS and all of the other training), but will i probably be at a desk?? I know it's a petty thing, but desk work and i don't really get along...

You are 17 and you don't get along with a desk now. Even if you enlist and become a AVMech.... you will spend some amount of time at a desk. There are many aspects of the Marines. There will be things you will be doing other than just being the OIC of a shop.

Don't let your dislikes of now limit your future.

When I enlisted, I was armed with a HS diploma and 6 months of university. I ended up in Aviation Electronics. After boot and A School, I went to my first squadron where I diagnosed issues and removed the offending box. You spend a considerable amount of time sitting on your butt waiting for issues when the birds return from their hop.

Later in my career, I went to a H&MS squadron where I repaired the boxes that were pulled at the squadron level. As I was promoted, I had to step back and be a mentor to the new Marines arriving at the squadron. Training them to take over the tasks. This means more desk time. Officer or enlisted, you will spend time at a desk. Accept it as something that happens.

I went back to university after 8.5 years in the Marines (Extended by the Marine Corps for 6 months). Hardest damn thing I have ever done. I had forgotten how to learn and how to study. Requirements became more difficult at the university level and the civilian/school environment damn near drove me crazy. I finished it....all the way but I wouldn't ever want to do it again.

Cash in on the education while you are young. Way too many young men and women say they will return to school after a stint in the military and never go back. Don't be one of them.

USNAviator
03-16-11, 08:24 AM
Great advice Larry.

I flew for the Navy and other than the 2-3 hours I was airborn/day we were at desks filling out reports on our birds, training to be better at our jobs etc. Military life is not all that glamorous.

I had a degree when I went in, the Navy sent me to the War College where I earned a Masters degree. The military believes in an educated force. For every one individual on the front line there are 10-12 in support. It's a fact of life

DIBLO7
03-16-11, 10:21 AM

Choosing your MOS is based on your class standing at TBS. OCS has absolutely nothing to do with it. Without getting into too much detail at TBS you'll put in your wish list then based off where you are in the class they will tell you what your MOS is going to be. I'm actually on my way to TBS now so I don't know first hand, but my understanding is you'll generally get within your top five choices.

The bottom line that hasn't been answered is do you want to be an officer or do you want to be enlisted? There are pro's and con's of each, that you need to weigh and decide upon.

As someone who has done it the hard way, if your ultimate goal is to be an officer don't go enlisted with the expectation of switching sides. You have the opportunity to get 100% of your school paid for. I just graduated and I "only" have 15k in student debt. The enlisted to officer programs don't pay for college. Also, you'll be half way to retirement before you even begin your officer career. You don't see many prior enlisted officers above the rank of Major. Just my .02.

CdtCaptKlopez
03-16-11, 08:26 PM
I've thought about becoming an officer, but i always saw it later down the line. I guess in my mind, it made more sense to spend time BEING a Marine before i tried to LEAD them.
I mean, if i was coing into the Marine Corps strictly for the money and GI bill, becoming an officer right off the bat would be for me. But i'm going in because i love the Marine Corps. Believe me, i KNOW it's not glamorous by ANY stretch of the imagination, but that's what attracts me! The challenge, knowing what its like to push past that breaking point, being part of something SO much bigger than myself, knowing that i'll learn so much more than how to fix a plane, the possibility of seeing the world, and maybe, just maaaybe get to shoot/ blow something up! I guess that's what is making this decision so hard!
But i thank all of y'all for all of the advice!

USNAviator
03-16-11, 08:34 PM
I've thought about becoming an officer, but i always saw it later down the line. I guess in my mind, it made more sense to spend time BEING a Marine before i tried to LEAD them.
I mean, if i was coing into the Marine Corps strictly for the money and GI bill, becoming an officer right off the bat would be for me. But i'm going in because i love the Marine Corps. Believe me, i KNOW it's not glamorous by ANY stretch of the imagination, but that's what attracts me! The challenge, knowing what its like to push past that breaking point, being part of something SO much bigger than myself, knowing that i'll learn so much more than how to fix a plane, the possibility of seeing the world, and maybe, just maaaybe get to shoot/ blow something up! I guess that's what is making this decision so hard!
But i thank all of y'all for all of the advice!

Young lady you have been respectful and non-argumentative, a rarity among some who post here

We can only give you the benefit of our experience as your Dad has I'm sure.

You'll be entering the Corps with the eyes of an 18 year old. You'll be exiting at age 22, an adult and your perspective will have changed dramatically. The final decision is ultimately yours. I sincerely hope you do not regret it

Good luck to you in the future

CdtCaptKlopez
03-16-11, 09:57 PM
Thank you sir.
A bit of advice i got from my instructor was not to argue with people who are smarter than you-- for once something stuck!
I posted this with the normal teenage "i know everything already" attitude, but was still ready to hear what y'all had to say. Y'all have given so much more to think about and consider!
I still have no clue exactly what i am going to do, but i feel alot more informed now. So, thank you for that!!

On a lighter note, is there anything fun about ship life?? I hear all of these horror stories about the close quarters (which i don't mind-- shared a room w/ 2 sisters and a bathroom w/ 5 other kids), and the food.

Tennessee Top
03-17-11, 12:16 AM
My feeling is you will be a successful Marine whether you have bars on your collar or chevrons on your sleeves. You have an outstanding attitude and seem mature for your age. Wish we could see these traits here more often amongst your peers.

Good luck with your decision; please come back and let us know what it is.

Quinbo
03-17-11, 12:50 AM
Thank you sir.
A bit of advice i got from my instructor was not to argue with people who are smarter than you-- for once something stuck!
I posted this with the normal teenage "i know everything already" attitude, but was still ready to hear what y'all had to say. Y'all have given so much more to think about and consider!
I still have no clue exactly what i am going to do, but i feel alot more informed now. So, thank you for that!!

On a lighter note, is there anything fun about ship life?? I hear all of these horror stories about the close quarters (which i don't mind-- shared a room w/ 2 sisters and a bathroom w/ 5 other kids), and the food.

Junior officers on ship get a shared state room... kinda like a tiny shared apartment. Junior enlisted on ship live in quarters comparable to a minimum security prison. Hey guys lets flip a coin and decide whether to watch the closed circuit tv of harriers taking off and landing or go stand in line for 3 hours at the ships store to buy a partially burnt bag of popcorn and a candy bar for when the grease comes on tv.

CdtCaptKlopez
03-17-11, 06:57 PM
Well, apparently my JROTC instructor set up a meeting with himself, my dad, the RSS NCOIC, the counselor and I.

Does anybody have any inside "been there- done that" information about MECEP? My recruiter told me a little bit about it.

USNAviator
03-17-11, 07:59 PM
Well, apparently my JROTC instructor set up a meeting with himself, my dad, the RSS NCOIC, the counselor and I.

Does anybody have any inside "been there- done that" information about MECEP? My recruiter told me a little bit about it.

Sorry not in my realm of knowledge but from what you say it might be an alternative for you. I see you live in Texas. I spent 18 months in Kingsville doing advanced flight training and met many locals who wanted to escape. It's understandable but you have an opportunity to go for a full ride to a college and still be a Marine. Not sure how close you are to your Dad but as a father myself maybe you should listen to him and also those who have your best interest at heart. If you weren't worthy, I can guarantee you wouldn't be getting this much attention

Fair winds and following seas young lady

bucksgted
03-17-11, 08:33 PM
I grew up just across the ship channel from you ( Baytown). Being almost neighbors, I'll talk to you like you were a grand daughter........if you turn down this opportunity, "I'll beat you within an inch of your life." Seriously, these kind of opportunities usually only come around once in a life time. You will still have ample time to do the "things" you aspire to do. Just do them after you earn your degree.

USNAviator
03-17-11, 08:41 PM
I grew up just across the ship channel from you ( Baytown). Being almost neighbors, I'll talk to you like you were a grand daughter........if you turn down this opportunity, "I'll beat you within an inch of your life." Seriously, these kind of opportunities usually only come around once in a life time. You will still have ample time to do the "things" you aspire to do. Just do them after you earn your degree.

Sgt. thank you very much. Katherine this Marine Sgt. is about 15 years older than me and I respect his life experience and would listen if I came to him seeking advice

Go back a read what everyone has been telling you. Then look into your heart.

BauerBrat
03-17-11, 09:05 PM
Young lady I have very little formal education and because of that I had to become a man of labor throughout my life. But if I had a chance to go back in time , to get a do-over and someone offered me what you've been offered.....please reconsider for all of us who never had the chance

God bless you

Tennessee Top
03-18-11, 12:36 AM
MECEP: Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Program (or something similar to that if I remember correctly). As an enlisted Marine, if you're accepted to the program, you go to college fulltime and receive a commission after graduation.

There is a Marine Corps order pertaining to the program but don't know how you could gain access to it (your Recruiter could possibly obtain a copy).

DIBLO7
03-18-11, 09:09 PM

I just finished up the MECEP program back in December, and am currently on leave before I begin my trip to VA for TBS.

The MCO that you want to look up for MECEP is MCO 1560.15L (http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Pages/MCO%201560.15L.aspx - thats a link to the order), you'll also want to look at the years applicable MARADMIN that comes out as the MARADMIN supersedes the MCO.

The most important take away for you right now would be, you're not eligible until you're a Sergeant (I think that was the change this past year). Other important things about the program are that the Marine Corps will pay you to go to school, but will not pay FOR your school, so the funding is on you. You can use the GI Bill; however, when you use it while on active duty it doesn't pay out very much money.

The process for the program is quite confusing unless you know someone who has put one in, or have plenty of experience with naval correspondence, when its all said and done, a complete package is about as thick as a 3/4 a ream of paper. If you look at the acceptance rates they seem pretty high (40%ish) but from my experience, thats because most packages don't make it to the board in the first place.

Now I'm not putting down the program at all, its a great program that led to my commission, but its designed for enlisted Marines who want to be officers and didn't have the chance for whatever reason to do it first, for example when I joined I didn't even have a clue what exactly an officer was, let alone that I wanted to be one, which at the time I wouldn't have wanted to be. I have a buddy that just graduated with me that had no intention of being an officer, until his platoon commander told him he'd be a good one and basically did everything but sign his package. Anyways, before I ramble more if you know you want to be an officer - go that way now - don't bank on the MECEP program in 4-6 years.

I hope all that makes sense, I'm currently surrounded by 4 screaming kids and trying to keep my thoughts coherent...

CdtCaptKlopez
03-19-11, 08:25 AM
Alright y'all.
As of right now i am going to stay with my plan to become an Enlisted Marine.
I know i have probably disappointed some (or maybe all) of you, and i'm sorry for that.
But after some serious introspection, i just couldnt find it in my heart to take that scholarship and become an Officer this soon. And in my mind, its just not right for me - someone who would can't find it in herself to celebrate this scholarship- to take it away from someone who probably really wanted it. I hope that makes sense.
I guess i'm just to anxious to earn (or to TRY to earn) the title Marine, and to be something. Even if it's just a grimy E-2 .
Please dont feel that all of your advice was in vain. I honestly took it all into consideration.
And for you dads/ grandpas out there, i swear to you that this decision has NOTHING to do with a boy. My boyfriend of 4 years is actually going to college in the fall, but he is 100% supportive of me going off to be a rough, tough Marine. Hopefully that will help you sleep the taddest bit better.
Thank you all for taking the time to try to help this poor girl. As always, I really appreciate it!

USNAviator
03-19-11, 08:47 AM
Alright y'all.
As of right now i am going to stay with my plan to become an Enlisted Marine.
I know i have probably disappointed some (or maybe all) of you, and i'm sorry for that.
But after some serious introspection, i just couldnt find it in my heart to take that scholarship and become an Officer this soon. And in my mind, its just not right for me - someone who would can't find it in herself to celebrate this scholarship- to take it away from someone who probably really wanted it. I hope that makes sense.
I guess i'm just to anxious to earn (or to TRY to earn) the title Marine, and to be something. Even if it's just a grimy E-2 .
Please dont feel that all of your advice was in vain. I honestly took it all into consideration.
And for you dads/ grandpas out there, i swear to you that this decision has NOTHING to do with a boy. My boyfriend of 4 years is actually going to college in the fall, but he is 100% supportive of me going off to be a rough, tough Marine. Hopefully that will help you sleep the taddest bit better.
Thank you all for taking the time to try to help this poor girl. As always, I really appreciate it!

No worries here and congrats on your decision. You came here looking for opinions and advice and you received some good ones

But no one can live your life for you. This is probably the first "adult" decision you've had to make. Believe me they don't get any easier. And I can't speak for all but it never occurred to me that a boy entered into the equation....:)

Good luck to you and if you can find the time please come back and let us know how things are going

Fair Winds

CdtCaptKlopez
09-04-11, 08:00 AM
Goodmorning gentlemen! I just thought i would drop in and let y'all know that i graduated boot camp on the 2nd, and now im home on my boot leave! It's quite a feeling being a Marine, and i dont think i'll ever be able to describe it! I owe y'all all a big thank you for all of your help!

Lisa 23
09-04-11, 10:04 AM
Goodmorning gentlemen! I just thought i would drop in and let y'all know that i graduated boot camp on the 2nd, and now im home on my boot leave! It's quite a feeling being a Marine, and i dont think i'll ever be able to describe it! I owe y'all all a big thank you for all of your help!

OUTSTANDING!
Congrats on becoming a Marine :usmc: ...and welcome to the Marine Corps family!
Enjoy your leave home with your family & friends.
PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to change your status to Marine.

Semper Fi Marine! :flag:

fl1946
09-04-11, 01:10 PM
Dear Cadet -- the opportunity to have your education underwritten AND you can still be a Marine seems like a no-brainer. If you can pass the physical (I'm confident you will pass the academics), Marine Aviator is certainly something not to sneeze at.

Being a Marine Corps officer is more than seeking thrills and laughs; it means taking on the very serious responsibility for the lives of Marines who are counting on YOU. The ultimate satisfaction of the Marine officer is to have the respect of the troops under your command, You can't buy it. You can't force it. You have to EARN it. And not every officer succeeds. Now, are you up to this challenge?

Semper fi
Vietnam Combat Cameraman

Sgt Leprechaun
09-04-11, 07:17 PM
OUTstanding! Profile changed! And Welcome aboard!