PDA

View Full Version : USMC future, possibly similar to RMC?

scott99
03-14-11, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread, sorry.

I was wondering with the usmc upcoming force reduction, does anyone think that usmc top commanders could model USMC more like there British counterparts Royal Marine Commandos(RMC). By this i mean a amphibious light infantry, with a sea-air-land mentality that operates and train's every USMC recruit in special operation capability's, and possibly extend basic training from 13 weeks to potentially 20-32 weeks like RMC basic training.
From what Ive read, it seams like RMC 32 week training is highly effective in preparing RM-Commando's for combat.

Does anyone think that this might happen for the USMC future?

I'm asking this becuase I'm currently debating which branch of the US Armed Forces I want to enlist in, and reading about the force reduction and researching RMC, it got me thinking.

Zulu 36
03-14-11, 04:54 PM
You need to fill out a profile, then read and heed the site rules. Afterward, someone will be along to answer your questions.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-11, 06:19 PM
Closed until I see a profile. And moved to the proper section. Also, read our site rules. CAREFULLY.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-11, 08:20 PM
Rules read, profile complete. Re-opened.

DanM
03-14-11, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread, sorry.

I was wondering with the usmc upcoming force reduction, does anyone think that usmc top commanders could model USMC more like there British counterparts Royal Marine Commandos(RMC). By this i mean a amphibious light infantry, with a sea-air-land mentality that operates and train's every USMC recruit in special operation capability's, and possibly extend basic training from 13 weeks to potentially 20-32 weeks like RMC basic training.
From what Ive read, it seams like RMC 32 week training is highly effective in preparing RM-Commando's for combat.

Does anyone think that this might happen for the USMC future?

I'm asking this becuase I'm currently debating which branch of the US Armed Forces I want to enlist in, and reading about the force reduction and researching RMC, it got me thinking.

I believe MCRD is 13 weeks and SOI/ITB is another 9 weeks for basic infantry,that's 22 weeks .What parts of the training are you comparing?

Tennessee Top
03-14-11, 09:07 PM
The USMC and Royal Marines are very similar in equipment, tactics, and training. In fact, there are exchange programs where Royal Marines train with us and vice-versa. This is also true for other nations such as the Republic of Korea (ROK) and Thailand Marines.

Due to cost, it is unlikely recruit training will be extended any longer. In addition, all Marines cannot be "commandos" which requires specialized training and deployment cycles.

When it comes to the missions of the individual services, it's not just the top military commanders who make those decisions. Those types of decisions are mainly made by civilians like the Secretary of Defense and Congress (along with how many people each branch can have, how much/types of equipment, etc.).

There is already a Special Operations Command ("commando units") within the military. Switching the USMC's mission to that would only be redundant and make the Marine Corps less useful...a bad thing. Right now, the USMC is the nation's 911 force and there is no other branch suited to take over that role...a good thing. So, we have a niche and need to maintain it. Otherwise, our politicians just may decide we are no longer needed.

scott99
03-14-11, 09:33 PM
well from what Ive read, it seams like RMC basic train's there marine's in more commando/special ops ttp's and advanced combat doctrine and train there recruit's to be special operations capable right out of boot camp, while it seams like USMC basic trains in more basic infantry combat and less special operation capabilities. USMC basic should maybe incorporate small unit tactics in basic etc. etc.

Tennessee Top,
I agree with what you said that by turning USMC into a special operations force with MARSOC/Force-Recon that are all-ready apart of USSOCOM would be redundant, what I'm saying is not turn USMC into commandos just train recruits to be capable of commando type capabilities and less basic infantry capabilities(so they can have more diverse thinking in combat) simaler to how 75th Ranger Regiment is a light infantry that can conduct special operations and conventional operations and are trained in special operations ttp's and at the same time Army Rangers are trained to conduct conventional operations.
sorry if it's a little difficult to understand what I'm trying to say in the last paragraph .

Tennessee Top
03-15-11, 05:30 PM
We're going in circles here but a recruit who is going to be a mail clerk after they graduate from MCRD does not need to know anything about special operations (or more diverse thinking in combat) as they will never be assigned that type of mission. They do need to know, and will be taught, how to be a rifleman in case they ever find themselves assigned to a forward HQ and need to defend themselves (they will not be prepared to go on patrols, establish fields of fire, set up positions for crew-served weapons, etc).

So, to answer your question; due to budgetary constraints, recruit training is not going to be extended, and because it is not needed, special ops (commando) training will not be incorporated. Our system to train basic Marines has served our nation pretty well for over 200 years and there is no need to muck with it now.