PDA

View Full Version : Question about after service

Kevin691
03-14-11, 01:06 PM
Hello Marines, I have a quick question that I haven't been able to find on this site or google. I wanted to know after your 4 years of active duty when you go IRR for the remainder of the 4 year contracted enlistment what happens? Do you just be a civilian and never hear from the Corps unless they needy you or do you have to do something for them through out the last 4 years?

GunRock0811
03-14-11, 02:44 PM
Some units have accountability formations once in awhile. I've been out for a a year and a half and have only recieved one phone call. All it was about was the opportunity to get promoted while in the IRR.

You're supposed to keep your current info such as addresss and phone number updated on marine online. As far as your question, yes, you are just a civillan unless you get recalled or are notified that you need to attentend an accountability formation.

DrZ
03-14-11, 03:28 PM
Hello Marines, I have a quick question that I haven't been able to find on this site or google. I wanted to know after your 4 years of active duty when you go IRR for the remainder of the 4 year contracted enlistment what happens? Do you just be a civilian and never hear from the Corps unless they needy you or do you have to do something for them through out the last 4 years?

Hell Kevin just sign up for 8 years. When you are done... you are done.

iamspartacus
03-14-11, 03:41 PM
My recruiter never told me about the 4 years in the IRR until I was literally about to sign my contract. And that was because I asked him. I did a quick scan through through the thing and did a double take when I saw the length of the contract was 8 years. Thought I almost fell victim to the old bait and switch routine.

But yeah, you essentially have no obligation to the Marine Corps anymore unless they recall you. Just have to keep you contact info current so they can contact you. I haven't been to a muster, but I've heard they may ask you to go to your nearest unit and check in. Sounds like you just show up, tell them your still alive and you get paid like $50 for your time.

You can actually still pick up rank in the IRR. I got out as a Corporal and two months later my buddy sent me an e-mail telling me congratulations I picked up Sergeant. Don't know how that works though.

Tennessee Top
03-14-11, 03:55 PM
Believe you're required to maintain all your uniforms in serviceable condition too because if you are recalled you'd need them. Never applied to me since I was a career Marine but I think that's correct (that would also imply you must keep your body from outgrowing them...which means, getting fat).

Kevin691
03-15-11, 12:41 AM
Thank you to all the Marines who answered my question. All I was aware of was the actual 4 active years I was jumping into I was never given any insight on how the last 4 years would pan out. Thanks again to all the Marines on here.