PDA

View Full Version : Body type for Artillery

Nerd
03-12-11, 08:01 PM
This may seem like a rediculous question, I apologize ahead of time, but the thought occured to me, and I've been wondering about it for a while.

As an artilleryman (assuming I am voluntold to be one, and not a tanker), would I need to have big arms to thrive if I was a loader? I guess I imagine that i'd need to be pretty big, and focus less on speed because I won't be running around in combat (as much as a grunt, at least), but instead lifting those heavy shells all day.

Is this a legitament point to think about? I have really tiny arms that get sore when I lift weights, so I'd like to know what I might need to focus on the most

Covey_Rider
03-12-11, 10:49 PM
Concentrate on the PFT. If you're good there, you'll be good for the MOS of your choosing.

Nerd
03-12-11, 11:43 PM
Alright, I trust a Marine's answer. Thank you

josephd
03-13-11, 01:42 AM
Yeah, don't worry about it. Just put out and give 100% you'll be fine.

I am not "big" by any stretch of the imagination but I can lift and carry more than other Marines bigger than me.

SGT7477
03-13-11, 10:09 AM
This may seem like a rediculous question, I apologize ahead of time, but the thought occured to me, and I've been wondering about it for a while.

As an artilleryman (assuming I am voluntold to be one, and not a tanker), would I need to have big arms to thrive if I was a loader? I guess I imagine that i'd need to be pretty big, and focus less on speed because I won't be running around in combat (as much as a grunt, at least), but instead lifting those heavy shells all day.

Is this a legitament point to think about? I have really tiny arms that get sore when I lift weights, so I'd like to know what I might need to focus on the most
We use to handle 2oo lb rounds alot and also unload the ammo trucks I would carry one on each shoulder, no damn wonder my back hurts,lol, Semper Fidelis.

AlohaMarine
03-13-11, 01:00 PM
LOL this gets better and better.

FWIW most 0811s I know are "Average" sized guys, some would even be "skinny". A 155 round is heavy, but not impossible. You're not loading 16" cannons on a battleship.