PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for high school diploma?

jd5989
03-12-11, 06:21 PM
Long story short, I'm 21 years old, enlisting in the Marine Corps. My parents have my high school diploma but won't give it to me because they do not support my decision to join the Marines.

I had to buy a new social security card and birth certificate, but can I bring something other than a high school diploma to MEPS to prove I graduated?

Lisa 23
03-12-11, 06:23 PM
Have you tried going to the high school you graduated from to see if they can get you a copy?

jd5989
03-12-11, 06:24 PM
Have you tried going to the high school you graduated from to see if they can get you a copy?

I live 3 hours away from it, but I will call tomorrow. My recruiter said I need all originals though, so I figured a copy wouldn't work.

Lisa 23
03-12-11, 06:25 PM
I live 3 hours away from it, but I will call tomorrow. My recruiter said I need all originals though, so I figured a copy wouldn't work.
You might want to wait until Monday to call the school being that tomorrow is Sunday.

jd5989
03-12-11, 06:28 PM
You might want to wait until Monday to call the school being that tomorrow is Sunday.

Sorry, I meant I'll call Monday.

Another question. At what point of the enlisting process do I need to show my diploma?

Tennessee Top
03-12-11, 06:33 PM
Sometimes original documents are lost/destroyed or otherwise unavailable. I'm sure recruiters routinely deal with this situation. You may have to get the copy notarized which will be an additional expense. I used a notarized copy of my birth certificate to get a passport.

Good luck and let us know how this works out as others may have the same problem.

jd5989
03-12-11, 06:39 PM
I didn't mean just a copy; another original from the school.

I'm going to call Monday about that.

If my recruiter has to send out my medical records before I can go to MEPS, will I need my diploma for that to go through?

jd5989
03-12-11, 06:54 PM
No idea, JD. I've been out so long------they had high school diplomas on clay tablets when I was in. LOL

Lol. Ill see what my recruiter says.

AjC
03-12-11, 07:04 PM
What they put in your SRB is a copy of your diploma, so I'm sure that a copy will work just fine. It's not going to have to be the exact one you got 3 years ago - you just have to have one.

Old Marine
03-12-11, 07:43 PM
Lol. Ill see what my recruiter says.

BINGO!!! :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
03-12-11, 08:10 PM
I had to buy a new social security card and birth certificate

I can see paying for a certified true copy of your birth certificate....but why did you have to pay for a SS card when duplicates are free with proper idenification and forms?