PDA

View Full Version : Have others became more motivated to join the Corps since you've joined?

IHaveEGA843
03-11-11, 09:59 PM
I recieved the best news today from one of my nephews! He has decided to dedicate himself to the Corps as soon as he graduates and it came from my motivation and dedication into just getting in!

I also have a neice I'm proud of that is currently in the Navy and another who dedicated herself to the Air Force, both of which I know are/will do great during their enlistments.

I'm going to take him to my RS to talk to the recruiters and begin getting a feel for how the process will go. I can't wait to go and come back home from Recruit Training so I can tell him how to prepare himself for the rigors of the 3 months of hell at PI.

Hopefully this will begun a long line of Marines in the family with the first one beginning with my uncle who died while fighting in Vietnam *I heard he was a Raider!* that I proudly will carry on the Marine Corps legacy in the family where he left off.

This **** really motivates me even more to know my nephew wants to follow my foot steps. Even though I'm not a father yet it makes me feel like the father who has gotten news that his son/daughter is enlisting in the worlds elite!

Have any of you fellow Poolees have anybody make that big decision because they see how you've turned out or you just inspired them?

achilles097
03-11-11, 10:11 PM
I recieved the best news today from one of my nephews! He has decided to dedicate himself to the Corps as soon as he graduates and it came from my motivation and dedication into just getting in!

I also have a neice I'm proud of that is currently in the Navy and another who dedicated herself to the Air Force, both of which I know are/will do great during their enlistments.

I'm going to take him to my RS to talk to the recruiters and begin getting a feel for how the process will go. I can't wait to go and come back home from Recruit Training so I can tell him how to prepare himself for the rigors of the 3 months of hell at PI.

Hopefully this will begun a long line of Marines in the family with the first one beginning with my uncle who died while fighting in Vietnam *I heard he was a Raider!* that I proudly will carry on the Marine Corps legacy in the family where he left off.

This **** really motivates me even more to know my nephew wants to follow my foot steps. Even though I'm not a father yet it makes me feel like the father who has gotten news that his son/daughter is enlisting in the worlds elite!

Have any of you fellow Poolees have anybody make that big decision because they see how you've turned out or you just inspired them?

Your uncle was a Marine Raider during Vietnam? Maybe he served in a Raider battalion if he served in WWII, but the Raiders themselves were disbanded after the war.

IHaveEGA843
03-11-11, 10:30 PM
Bro, thats what my cousin "his son" said.

I'll have to go back and look at this paper work that the Corps gave my grandmother when he died. It states his rank, date he entered the Corps, how he died, date he died, where he died, etc.

I'll post it tomorrow and revise if I'm wrong.

PooleeGewarges
03-12-11, 07:12 AM
Sort of. One friend of mine saw how I am getting good muscle gains, so he wants to join the Marines now. I straight up said do not join for that reason, but I handed him my recruiters number.

IHaveEGA843
03-12-11, 11:53 AM
Well Achillies was right about the Marine Raider title, anyways heres the pic and some paper with info on it

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/684/1299950100484.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9729/1299950136196.jpg

IHaveEGA843
03-12-11, 12:02 PM
****!!!!!! Heres more motivation for me, I found this on miltary times!

I wish I could've met my uncle!

Leroy Brantley

Date of birth: 23-Jun-48
Date of death: March 28, 1969
Home of record: Charleston, South Carolina (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/list.php?category=States&state=South Carolina)

Awards and Citations

<!--

-->http://www.leatherneck.com/citations-medals-awards/images/awards/medals_navy_cross_100x200.jpg (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?medal=3)
<!---->Navy Cross See more recipients of this award (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?medal=3)
<!---->Awarded posthumously for actions during the Vietnam War (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?conflict=4)
The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Corporal Leroy Brantley (MCSN: 2392215), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Squad Leader with Company G, Second Battalion, Fifth Marines, FIRST Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in the Republic of Vietnam on 28 March 1969. During a search and clear operation in Quang Nam Province, Company G's lead platoon was entering the village of Phu Nhuan when it came under intense rocket and automatic weapons fire from a North Vietnamese Army company occupying well-fortified positions in the village and surrounding tree lines. Reacting instantly Corporal Brantley completely disregarded his own safety as he maneuvered his squad to defilade positions and skillfully directed the delivery of a heavy volume of return fire. Although seriously wounded while deploying his men, he ignored his own painful injury and repeatedly exposed himself to hostile fire as he rallied his men and boldly led them in an assault against the enemy. Wounded a second time by North Vietnamese fire, Corporal Brantley refused medical attention as he valiantly remained with his men to sustain the momentum of the attack. Fearlessly directing the actions of his squad and exhorting them to greater efforts, he continued to brave the intense enemy fire while aggressively leading the advance toward the hostile emplacements until he was struck for the third time by hostile fire. Undaunted by the North Vietnamese rounds impacting near him and weakened by his serious injuries, Corporal Brantley resolutely continued to move his men and direct their actions and, as he boldly pushed through the tree line toward a suspected hostile emplacement, he was mortally wounded. His intrepid fighting spirit and daring initiative inspired all who observed him and contributed significantly to the accomplishment of his unit's mission. By his courage, superb leadership and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Brantley upheld the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.
General Orders: Authority: Navy Department Board of Decorations and Medals
Action Date: 28-Mar-69
Service: Marine Corps (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?service=3)
Company: Company G
Battalion: 2d Battalion
Regiment: 5th Marines
Division: 1st Marine Division (Rein.) FMF

achilles097
03-12-11, 12:54 PM
That's great to hear! Not being a Marine Raider doesn't mean he wasn't a hero. <br />
<br />
I had two uncles and a grandfather that served, one was a Navy submariner whose Commanding Officer won the Medal of...

DGarmo
03-12-11, 01:36 PM
That's awsome that your Uncle earned a Navy Cross. This thread is motivating on its own. My family came from Iraq in the 70's. They're very proud of me and are thankful for the troops that have/is serving in Iraq. The stories my Dad has told me about what Saddam used to do to his Christian village are enough to make me enlist, even if its been taking care of.

PooleeGewarges
03-12-11, 01:46 PM
That's awsome that your Uncle earned a Navy Cross. This thread is motivating on its own. My family came from Iraq in the 70's. They're very proud of me and are thankful for the troops that have/is serving in Iraq. The stories my Dad has told me about what Saddam used to do to his Christian village are enough to make me enlist, even if its been taking care of.

My parents came from Iraq too. And yes, they too talked bad towards Saddam.

AlexJH
03-12-11, 01:57 PM
I sat in the back of Battle: LA with my "Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body" shirt screaming OORAH CHESTY! every time they killed an alien.

I feel like I motivated some people to enlist.

achilles097
03-12-11, 02:56 PM

Does the Corps pay extra for those that speak Arabic? My best friend is Iranian and speaks Farsi.

kjohnson8824
03-12-11, 05:29 PM
^^^ They can probably get a job as linguist or something but they probably need a top secret or secret clearance, Im not sure if they do pay more though

DGarmo
03-12-11, 05:33 PM
@kjohnson Yeah my uncles was a translator for Seals and Rangers for four tours. He said it was one of the best expierences in his life. Its a shame he couldent work with Marines.

Nerd
03-12-11, 06:36 PM
Linguists get a $2000 bonus I think is what I last heard

@AlexJH: I pretty much did the same thing man. I give a big "OORAH MARINE CORPS!" at the end of the movie and got some looks

DubGee
03-12-11, 06:41 PM
I sat in the back of Battle: LA with my "Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body" shirt screaming OORAH CHESTY! every time they killed an alien.

I feel like I motivated some people to enlist.

RETREAT...HELL!

That movie was AWESOME. Motto at its finest, even if the enemy was some alien life form from another galaxy lol. Still, you could tell thats how Marines actually would fight in that circumstance, and that they never would quit. I got goosebumps when the SSgt repelled out of the chopper by himself, but then his fellow Marines repelled too and decided to go with him.

IM LEAVING TOMORROW POOLEES! Only 2 ways Im coming off that island. As a Marine, or dead.

kjohnson8824
03-12-11, 06:47 PM
^^^ Or medically discharged, you forgot that one

PooleeGewarges
03-12-11, 06:50 PM
RETREAT...HELL!

That movie was AWESOME. Motto at its finest, even if the enemy was some alien life form from another galaxy lol. Still, you could tell thats how Marines actually would fight in that circumstance, and that they never would quit. I got goosebumps when the SSgt repelled out of the chopper by himself, but then his fellow Marines repelled too and decided to go with him.

IM LEAVING TOMORROW POOLEES! Only 2 ways Im coming off that island. As a Marine, or dead.

Stay motivated fellow poolee!

By the way, am I the only way that hated Battle LA? Watched it last time but did not enjoy it at all. Although I loved the part where the Second Lieutenant yelled out, "2nd Battalion 5th Marines OOORAH!" before sarcificing himself to kill the aliens.

AlexJH
03-12-11, 08:21 PM
I was kidding, I haven't seen it and heard it sucked.. even if was awesome people would just think I was retarded if I screamed that during the movie. From what I understand a 42 year old Ssgt(lolwut?) leads his Marines with primative firearms against an advanced alien race and wins somehow.

Then apparently Michelle Rodriguez is an AF intel chick that magically learns to shoot a weapon and slaughter aliens, then somehow she rates wearing MARPAT cammies instead of her AF ABU's..

DubGee
03-12-11, 08:59 PM
I was kidding, I haven't seen it and heard it sucked.. even if was awesome people would just think I was retarded if I screamed that during the movie. From what I understand a 42 year old Ssgt(lolwut?) leads his Marines with primative firearms against an advanced alien race and wins somehow.

Then apparently Michelle Rodriguez is an AF intel chick that magically learns to shoot a weapon and slaughter aliens, then somehow she rates wearing MARPAT cammies instead of her AF ABU's..

Nah shes wearing ABUs in the movie haha. Can clearly see her Tech.Sgt stripes on her sleeves too :p

AlexJH
03-12-11, 10:37 PM
Nevermind someone posted a picture of her in cammies on another site.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2010/07/battle-los-angeles-2.jpg

achilles097
03-12-11, 11:06 PM
Ha I literally just came out of Battle Los Angeles...I'd give it a 5 out of 10...They could've done a lot more. I'm getting sick of all these alien movies in the past few years sucking big time...except maybe District 9.

Domc
03-13-11, 08:37 AM
They needed to splurge for the R rating, and it would have been much better, the way it is now, it is nothing more then a kids movie. But in the end at least it wasn't as bad SKYLINE, now that was a TERRIBLE movie!