PDA

View Full Version : Marine Dad receives an apology from American Idol family member

SemperFiParent
03-11-11, 11:32 AM
In my thread yesterday regarding the wardrobe choice of an American Idol contestant, some of you agreed with my viewpoint, others thought it was no big deal.

I know what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the right to call herself a Marine, and she EARNED the right to wear that uniform.

Now one of my posts on this topic receives a comment from someone who claims to be a family member.

You can read it, and my response here:

http://rightwingwizkid.blogspot.com/2011/03/family-member-of-american-idol.html

While you are there, please take part in the poll I put up about this topic.

joseywales
03-11-11, 11:44 AM
Is this really worth all the attention being paid to it, when we have two wars going on costing billions of dollars, spending out of control, common courtesy going down the drain, high school seniors who can't read or write?
I don't know, maybe it is really important.

PJones64
03-11-11, 11:56 AM
Just one opinion but I think a parent should just allow his or her child to serve in the Corps.

SemperFiParent
03-11-11, 12:00 PM
Is this really worth all the attention being paid to it, when we have two wars going on costing billions of dollars, spending out of control, common courtesy going down the drain, high school seniors who can't read or write?

Well yes, I think it's important.
You mention high schoolers who can't read or write, the death of common courtesy, etc.

What this "entertainer" did is just a symptom of some of the problems you mentioned.
Years ago, we not only showed respect for our country and it's institutions, including the military, we held people accountable for their actions.

If a television performer was to wear a uniform as part of a talent show, and the performance had no relavance to anything related to the military, I can promise you that show would have lost most of it's sponsors due to public outcry.

I don't even want to get into what would have happened if I came home with a failing grade on my report card.

What has and continues to happen in America is that very few people are holding anyone, students, politicians, "entertainers" ect. responsible for their actions.

I'm just a small voice trying to change that.

Tennessee Top
03-11-11, 12:09 PM
Just one more reason to never watch that show (and I don't). By watching, we only give support to careless people like the contestant. I don't believe he gave a thought to what reaction his choice of wardrobe might be.

joseywales
03-11-11, 12:09 PM
Generally, the more outrageous the conduct and viewpoints of entertainers, the more the general public likes them. We are just about forty years too late. We pay to watch other people do things that we disapprove of.

Old Marine
03-11-11, 12:22 PM

Agree with this post. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

iamspartacus
03-11-11, 12:47 PM
They may say they understand. But, like you said, they just don’t. As a Marine, I don’t ever expect him to. Unless he actually does earn the title. He did apologize. I think that’s as good as we can expect. He offended us and he apologized. What more do you want? Do you think getting kicked off the show is really an appropriate punishment? Should we continue to make Paul miserable the rest of his life? At some point we have to get over it. I got over it when he apologized. Does it still **** me off? Sure. But what are you going to do? I agree with what other people have pointed out that there are much more pressing issues we should be fighting with this much aggression. Like people who actually disrespect Marines (and every American citizen), don’t apologize and try to kill them… i.e. terrorists.

advanced
03-12-11, 02:47 PM
I know what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the right to call herself a Marine, and she EARNED the right to wear that uniform.

I don't think you have any idea what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the title and right to wear our uniform, but many here know.

I was one that posted that it was OK with me, not everyone can be a Marine. I like to see our dress blues being worn, I think we have the sharpest military uniform in the world. You see, I never got to wear them. All I got to wear were stinking, putrid, sweat stained, blood spotted, mud caked jungle utes with this red dust all over and in my very pores. Let it go daddy.

By the way, where were you back in the day?

BauerBrat
03-12-11, 03:04 PM
I didn't see that show, don't think I've ever seen it. From what I understand the "entertainer" was wearing blues devoid of any and all insignia. So what is your problem? Maybe your daughter who actually earned the right to wear the EGA should be handling this and not you. That is if she's concerned about it at all.

Advanced ask a question I'd like answered as well. I doubt if you're old enough to have served in RVN but did you ever wear any uniform?

josephd
03-12-11, 03:09 PM
Like I posted in the other thread on this topic, I highly doubt that this AI contestant chose his wardrobe himself. The show, its producers, and the wardrobe coordinator chose what he wore. I think the negative attention should be directed more at the show and less at this individual. If someone should be apologizing for anything it should be a spokesperson for the show.

devilbones2
03-12-11, 03:21 PM
I guess that I am the only one that thinks SemperFiParent doesnt rate an apology anyway. Did you earn the uniform? I think you are taking this a bit too far and really need to ease back. Its not like he was impersonating a Marine nor did he represent himself as one either. Until you have been there done that I would suggest you leave the nitpicking at home and take it for what it is: Some guy wearing a military uniform to entertain the public. No need to take such offense.

advanced
03-12-11, 03:30 PM
This is not intended to be mean-spirited, not at all, but it is a plain fact.
Many many parents live their lives through their children. It is not good for the parents nor for the children.
It is just plain fact, no innuendo, no accusations, no comments, just plain unadorned fact.
It's an unhealthy part of life, and is very common.

I think you pegged it correct here Dave, he's living through his kid. To me he is either hard hearted or just blinded.

USNAviator
03-12-11, 03:34 PM
devilbones2, I agree with you, but I would go farther. People who don't rate the uniform but wear it, and outright posers, unless I am at a function and they are there, and it is obvious that they are posers, I can think of worse things that go on that we never say anything about.
If some jerk hundreds of miles away wears the uniform to some function, what do I care, hundreds of miles away? We don't have the same outrage to hear that someone was stabbed to death five hundred miles away, so why does the uniform bother us so much? Our priorities are just a little bit off.
The things we should be complaining about, we never do.

I would have to agree with the learned gentleman. To quote the Bard "Much Ado About Nothing". Sir, if your daughter is upset about this and I have my doubts she is, then it's up to her to carry on the fight

Continue to be proud of her, support her but don't fight for her. She's more than capable of doing it for herself.

USNAviator
03-12-11, 03:44 PM
I see your point Dave but I don't think this guy was a poser. I didn't see the show but my understanding is he wore the blues without any kind of insignia. Hell he's a friggin entertainer. Probably not a very good one but he'll be gone soon, this will blow over.

USNAviator
03-12-11, 03:48 PM
I got a little off topic, will wait for the actual discussion of posers, which are all over the place here......

LOL.....not a problem counselor

tracs1833
03-12-11, 04:09 PM
First off, just wearing part of a uniform does not imply, at least to me, that the individual is trying to pass themself off as a Marine. We have all seen individuals, young and old, wearing surplus stuff like cammie trousers, field jackets, etc. Are all of them trying to pass themselves off as service members?
I agree with previous posts on another subject. This nation has become far too demanding of apologies for any type of slight, real or imagined. Get over it. This is the real world, not Nirvana. S**t happens. Stop 'wearing your feelings on your shirt sleeve'.
And lastly I conclude with a John Wayne quote, "Never apologize. It's a sign of weakness". And although I don't totally agree with that (there are genuine times when an apology is needed), I still like the sentiment.

advanced
03-12-11, 04:37 PM
For most of my life I didn't dress or act or tell anyone I was a Marine, and now some folks who never were Marines are doing all these thing to try and get respect - go figure.

USNAviator
03-12-11, 05:21 PM
For most of my life I didn't dress or act or tell anyone I was a Marine, and now some folks who never were Marines are doing all these thing to try and get respect - go figure.

Russ it's a changed world. Guess you didn't get the memo from the Hip crowd, it's cool to be in the military but very few want to bother paying the price to honestly wear any uniform

I guess it all started back 2001. From what I know there have always been posers but it seems that since 9/11 it has expanded exponentially. I remember an old joke from Norfolk, dogs and sailors keep off the grass. I'm assuming the person who put up such a sign figured dogs could read. But in the burbs where it's nice and safe they wholeheartedly support our military personnel until it comes time for one of their precious off spring decide to join up. I'd be willing to wager the vast amount of enlistees in all branches are still coming from the poorer classes. I remember reading an article that stated that Viet Nam was Americas class war. The upper classes failed to show up

Off soap box

ggyoung
03-12-11, 05:38 PM
Until the laws are changed there is not much that can be done. Not everyone here can remember the way the hippies dressed in the late 60s-70s. They bought and wore old Marine and Army jackets and things. Back then it ****ed me off to no end. Remember that it was farmer Marines and Army guys sold there uniforms when they got out of there service. They showed just as much disrespect by selling them as the hippies did by wearing them.

montana
03-12-11, 05:59 PM
I don't think you have any idea what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the title and right to wear our uniform, but many here know.

I was one that posted that it was OK with me, not everyone can be a Marine. I like to see our dress blues being worn, I think we have the sharpest military uniform in the world. You see, I never got to wear them. All I got to wear were stinking, putrid, sweat stained, blood spotted, mud caked jungle utes with this red dust all over and in my very pores. Let it go daddy.

By the way, where were you back in the day?

i second that post

Wyoming
03-12-11, 06:12 PM
I ain't never seen a Pappy git sich a yard on for a Chile.

****, Pap, let her do her thing. She got where she is, ON HER OWN.

Be proud, but stay an arms length away.

advanced
03-12-11, 07:33 PM
Russ it's a changed world. Guess you didn't get the memo from the Hip crowd, it's cool to be in the military but very few want to bother paying the price to honestly wear any uniform

I guess it all started back 2001. From what I know there have always been posers but it seems that since 9/11 it has expanded exponentially. I remember an old joke from Norfolk, dogs and sailors keep off the grass. I'm assuming the person who put up such a sign figured dogs could read. But in the burbs where it's nice and safe they wholeheartedly support our military personnel until it comes time for one of their precious off spring decide to join up. I'd be willing to wager the vast amount of enlistees in all branches are still coming from the poorer classes. I remember reading an article that stated that Viet Nam was Americas class war. The upper classes failed to show up

Off soap box

I guess you're right Dan, but guys like me just don't forget. So you're saying, in essence, that the no-balled MF's back then, the ones that wouldn't stand on line with us are the posers today. They robbed from us then, and they're doing even more harm now by taking the little dignity that we earned from our sweat and our brothers gave with their blood. Now that ****es me off!

I've met a few posers the past couple of years and I've been slack on them I guess because I really didn't understand where they were coming from. If I meet another one he's in for it, I'll make the son-of-a-***** crawl. S/F

USNAviator
03-12-11, 07:49 PM
I guess you're right Dan, but guys like me just don't forget. So you're saying, in essence, that the no-balled MF's back then, the ones that wouldn't stand on line with us are the posers today. They robbed from us then, and they're doing even more harm now by taking the little dignity that we earned from our sweat and our brothers gave with their blood. Now that ****es me off!

I've met a few posers the past couple of years and I've been slack on them I guess because I really didn't understand where they were coming from. If I meet another one he's in for it, I'll make the son-of-a-***** crawl. S/F

Not only are they the posers Russ but they also have this arrogance that those of you who put it on the line, while they were getting multiple deferments, were fools

Screw 'em Russ. A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero only one. In my book any man who put on a uniform and served honorably during Nam is a hero. F$ck the draft dodgers who went north or to Europe.

I said this before about J Fonda, I hope when it comes her time and their time to meet with God to settle up, they have to walk through a cordon of young men, forever young men who did the right thing and served our country in Nam but who didn't come home. I understand God has a soft spot for Marines

Fair Winds my friend