PDA

View Full Version : Tie Ties

Brianhipwell
03-10-11, 06:10 PM
Just read my latest Leatherneck. The item of 'tie ties' came to pass. I'd forgotten about that. I find reading about us 'old farts' having so many things to bring up about the early and mid 60's fascinating and there's always a big smile when Drill Instructor stories come up. Does anyone remember the wire-like device that was used to place under your tie and pierced the collar to make the knot stick out for dress in trops or Greens?

I made mention to Sgt Grit that I was in Plt 339, 3rd Recruit Bn. I know, I know, 'Disneyland'. Yes, we had the first new brick barracks. We did not have airconditioning. We did not have TV. However, we did have doors on the crappers!

Anyone receiving 'Air Mail' had their letters thrown out the window! The nicknames we had were hilarious. I was called 'Private Giggles'. We had one Afro-American in the Platoon. He was called 'Private 'N' word'. We were proud of him because he took more crap than anyone else. He made PFC. So did but I but we all surrounded him after the graduation ceremony. His name was the same as one of our JDI's and really put his heart into the Corps ethos.:marine:

FoxtrotOscar
03-10-11, 06:26 PM
Those things were called collar stays......

WXSgt
03-10-11, 08:48 PM
tie ties in my day ive been in since 03 are the ties used to keep targets on the points in the pits. what your talking bout is called collar stays to us now.