PDA

View Full Version : Desire Guidance from a USMC Veteran

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:18 PM
First off Thank you for viewing my thread.

I made the commitment to become a Marine on 2/7/2011, a little over a month ago.

Since then, I've made leaps and bounds in an effort to achieve this goal, I've gotten into the best physical shape I've ever been in, and I've gotten into the position of being able to go back to school, obtain 15 credits so I can enlist (I only have a GED). I've done more with my life in the past month than I have in the past 3 years.

but I want more though. I want to be a Marine before I become a Marine. I want to push my mind to its limits, and surpass them. I want to break every limitation, physical and mental, that I've ever placed on myself in the 20 years that I've existed.

I want to do that before I reach Parris Island.

When I realized I wanted to be a Marine, it was overwhelming. A new life flashed in front of my eyes. I was already there. I was already in basic and I was already overseas. Even though I wasn't, in reality. I've never been as passionate about anything in my life as I am about being a United States Marine.

I want to be a Marine for these reasons.

1. Challenge.

I strive for a challenge. I live for it. I love aiming for what seems to be unattainable, because when I obtain it, the feeling is amazing. I want to prove to myself what I already know, that nothing is impossible, and any preconceived notions of failure is only my mind getting the best of me. I want to obtain complete control over my mind. Dominate it. I will control my mind, it will NOT control me. This is the ultimate challenge to me, and I can't wait to conquer it.

2. Honor, Pride

I want to be a Marine because I want the pride associated with that word. I respect all branches of military, but I want the honor of being a United States Marine. I want the black dress uniform, with all the decorations. I want to make my Mother proud of me. I want to set an example for my 6 yr old brother and my 3 yr old sister. I want to serve this beautiful country. I want to appreciate all the freedoms it gives me 100x more than I do now. I want to serve with Honor, and I want to make it my personal responsibility to have an active role in protecting Our freedoms.

3. Heroism

I want to save lives. I want to liberate the innocent from the grips of Tyranny. I want the tyrants to fall. I want their citizens to live a free life, a life similar to the lives we live in America. I want to be a true Patriot. I want this more than I've wanted anything in my life. I want my MOS to either be Explosives Ordinance Disposal or Special Forces. Depending on the experience I get before I enlist in February 2012. I'm considering explosives ordinance disposal because I want to dismantle explosives. I want to be in a position to Protect my squad. My men are not my men. My men, are extensions of Me. I cannot emphasize this enough.

4. Conditioning

I want to get into the best shape of my life. It's simple. Its Darwinism. Survival of the fittest, and I want to be as fit as I can possibly be. I want to learn how to survive off of the wilderness. I want to endure harsh conditions with a smile. I want to become superhuman.

Last but not least I want the benefits post-service. I want to be able to go to school for free after I leave. Sure, the money will be good, but that is NOT why I want to be a Marine.

I'm looking for anything I can do to put myself ahead of the rest of the recruits by the time I reach Parris Island in February. I want to learn survival skills before I get there, how to read Maps of Topography, Shooting angles, any way I can get my hands on USMC equipment for Weight Training, any way I can get a step ahead on Leadership, and Hand-to-Hand combat. That's why Im looking for a vet to lead me to my goals. I will get there regardless, but I feel like I will achieve more with voices of wisdom to guide me.

Semper Fi. My thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me reach my goals.

Valor.

Wyoming
03-10-11, 04:25 PM
i wanna gun

i wann be in da maureen corpse

i wana keel people

shoot, shoot, bang bang.

:sick: :sick: :sick:

****, dude, you can't even fill out a profile and this just happens to be 'the Drifter's Place'.

Square yourself away and get in the 'Ask a Marine' section.

Oh yeah, this 'commitment', did it involve a Recruiter??

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:28 PM
i wanna gun

i wann be in da maureen corpse

i wana keel people

shoot, shoot, bang bang.

:sick: :sick: :sick:

****, dude, you can't even fill out a profile and this just happens to be 'the Drifter's Place'.

Square yourself away and get in the 'Ask a Marine' section.

Oh yeah, this 'commitment', did it involve a Recruiter??

no. it didn't involve a recruiter. I make up my own mind. Nobody makes up my mind for me.

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:29 PM
I called a recruiter for the sole purpose of asking what I needed to join the USMC. <br />
<br />
which is, 1. 15 credits and 2. no pending charges in court.

thewookie
03-10-11, 04:29 PM
You can't be a Marine before you are a Marine.

Good luck.

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:30 PM
The Drifter's Place A place for the Old Salts to hang their cover and deploy some wisdom for the up and comers. This forum is dedicated to Roger Alfano, Leatherneck's Top Moderator.

from the looks of it sounds like what I was looking for... wisdom

thewookie
03-10-11, 04:35 PM
Nobody makes up my mind for me.

Tell that to your DI's there tough internet guy.

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:35 PM
You can't be a Marine before you are a Marine.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll remember that. You're right.

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:36 PM
Tell that to your DI's there tough internet guy.

What would happen if I did

thewookie
03-10-11, 04:37 PM
.. wisdom

You are not making sense. You do not receive wisdom by being closed minded.

Good luck.

thewookie
03-10-11, 04:38 PM
What would happen if I did

First, get off the internet and make a commitment.

Then, goto Parris Island and find out.

Wyoming
03-10-11, 04:38 PM
The Drifter's Place A place for the Old Salts to hang their cover and deploy some wisdom for the up and comers. This forum is dedicated to Roger Alfano, Leatherneck's Top Moderator.

from the looks of it sounds like what I was looking for... wisdom

You are not an up and comer.

You are not a Marine.

You failed the 1st test.

The Wookie has it right.

'Internet tough guy'!!!!

fail

joseywales
03-10-11, 04:39 PM
I must say this---what the f...k are all the attitude problems for?
Just do what you are told, fill out the profile, duh, go to ask a marine, duh,
Now, can we do this, or must we play little games all night?
I'll tell you right now, valor1, the mod will appear with the black helo and extract you as soon as I tell him about this nonsense.
It happens every single day, without a break.

What is all the anger about, the posturing, the bravado, the nonsense?

The very first thing I'm going to do is to PM a mod, immediately, so your little stay here will be very brief, I assure you.
Azzholes are a dime a dozen on the big Net.

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:39 PM
You are not making sense. You do not receive wisdom by being closed minded.

Good luck.

nothing I've said has made me seem closed minded. I do not understand what you mean. An open mind is like an open palm, capable of giving and receiving. I've always known that and I'm not closed minded. Its just that so far I've received nothing but people ****ting all over something I'm serious about.

Wyoming
03-10-11, 04:43 PM
Kid, you know what your problem is today?

DevinD
03-10-11, 04:48 PM
Kid, you know what your problem is today?

I really don't

1. I'm sorry for posting in the wrong section.

2. If i knew how to delete this thread and post it in the right section I probably would

Guess I came to the wrong place to find the right way to something I'm going to achieve regardless.

Thanks for the help everyone.

joseywales
03-10-11, 04:53 PM
Still too fresh. Helo on its way anyway

Tennessee Top
03-10-11, 05:01 PM
Read the rules for wannabes (that's what you are). You are not an old salt and do not belong on this thread. You probably do not know but an old salt is an individual who has served a long time on active duty...and that's not you.

You have not earned the right to use one of our mottos (Semper Fi)...so don't. It means nothing coming from you. It means the world coming from one of my brothers.

Your heart appears to be in the right place Valor1. But, the reason you're getting so much grief is because you come on our forum breaking all kinds of our rules either through ignorance or arrogance...we can't tell which. So, go read all the rules and live by them. Then, maybe you'll be accepted the way you want to be.

Old Marine
03-10-11, 05:44 PM
I don't think the elevator is reaching the top floor.

DevinD
03-10-11, 05:59 PM
Read the rules for wannabes (that's what you are). You are not an old salt and do not belong on this thread. You probably do not know but an old salt is an individual who has served a long time on active duty...and that's not you.

You have not earned the right to use one of our mottos (Semper Fi)...so don't. It means nothing coming from you. It means the world coming from one of my brothers.

Your heart appears to be in the right place Valor1. But, the reason you're getting so much grief is because you come on our forum breaking all kinds of our rules either through ignorance or arrogance...we can't tell which. So, go read all the rules and live by them. Then, maybe you'll be accepted the way you want to be.

I understand. I appologize for any disrespect. There's a thin line between confidence and arrogance and I dont want to be perceived as having the latter. One day soon I'll be able to use that motto

Wyoming
03-10-11, 06:06 PM
Now that you have manned up, check this link -

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59314

... after you have it memorized, go to the Ask A Marine forum.

DevinD
03-10-11, 06:07 PM
Rule One you are not a Marine and this is a Marine site therefore you have no rights and are merely a guest that we wish to help achieve your goal!

Rule Two before you post a thread make darn sure that you have researched the forums so that you are not embarrassed by the fact it was asked a week ago!

Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Rule Five be courteous at all times with your peers and especially with Marines, if you verbally attack someone you will be dealt with severely and disrespect to a Marine will not be tolerated!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

Rule Seven the forums are not social a chatroom if you want to speak to a peer in that way do it on PM or by email or in the chatroom!

Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!

Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!

Rule Ten there will no political threads or posts of any kind in the recruit forums, you are here to concentrate on the yellow foot steps not politics!

Rule Eleven be ready and flexible to accept any and all new rules and criticism at all times. Use your time here to prepare yourself for the greatest challenge you will ever face!

Rule Twelve your profile must include your ship date. This is to validate you against some wannabe that calls him or her self a Poolee. Only Poolees have ship dates not wannabes.

I've read these rules and understand. Thank you for direction. I'm intelligent enough to understand these simple rules. Sometimes my ambition gets me into trouble.

Wyoming
03-10-11, 06:10 PM

Read and Heed!!

DevinD
03-10-11, 06:11 PM

Thank you for this link. This is exactly what I was looking for.

USNAviator
03-10-11, 07:09 PM

That's an outstanding post, I had never read it before

Brianhipwell
03-10-11, 07:26 PM
Geez kid, I don't think you can hack it. Your Brain Housing Group isn't quite up to par with the Marine Corps ethos. you really need to go out on your own for awhile, experience life as it really is, without mommy holding your hand. If not Parris Island will eat you up and spit you out into the swamps.

If you do make it to PI, never quit, never show weakness, never lose your spirit. Your Drill Instructors will weed you out if you're not quality material. I hope you can understand what 'we're' talking about.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 08:03 PM
Moving this to it's proper place in our little world.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 08:25 PM
Now that we are where we are supposed to be, I shall elaborate. You asked for a "Marine Veteran" opine, and that is what you shall get. Strap yourself in.

You are welcome! Thanks for having good grammar, sentence structure, and a small command of the English language. Refreshing. And, rest assured, had you not, this would be going a different direction.

I made the commitment to become a Marine on 2/7/2011, a little over a month ago.

By seeing, in person, a recruiter? Or just 'deciding'? From your posts, I'd say the latter. That is fine, but you need to 'do', rather than 'think'. Go and DO.

Since then, I've made leaps and bounds in an effort to achieve this goal, I've gotten into the best physical shape I've ever been in, and I've gotten into the position of being able to go back to school, obtain 15 credits so I can enlist (I only have a GED). I've done more with my life in the past month than I have in the past 3 years.

In a month? (Physical shape). Either you weren't that bad to begin with or you are fooling yourself. How fast can you run a mile and a half? How many pushups, crunches, and dead hang pullups can you do?

GED...which tells me you dropped from HS. That...isn't good. 15 credits is the 'minimum' required to enlist, just so you know. You will NOT (read that again) be a priority enlistment. Know this going in.

but I want more though. I want to be a Marine before I become a Marine. I want to push my mind to its limits, and surpass them. I want to break every limitation, physical and mental, that I've ever placed on myself in the 20 years that I've existed.

This is like saying you want to be a unicorn. You've seen the pictures, read the books, and now, presto, because they are coooool, you are a unicorn! Just wishing it doesn't make it so. Don't make the mistake of 'thinking' you are a Marine because in your heart of hearts you really, really, really, want it. Our title can only be earned. It's never given, sold, traded, or 'larnt' in books.

Oh, and don't break your mind or your body prior to Recruit training. Let that be the Drill Instructors job.

See the last paragraph above. Your mission from here is to get qualified to enlist. Worry about all the existential stuff later.

When I realized I wanted to be a Marine, it was overwhelming. A new life flashed in front of my eyes. I was already there. I was already in basic and I was already overseas. Even though I wasn't, in reality. I've never been as passionate about anything in my life as I am about being a United States Marine.

Hopefully this didn't occur while a student of modern chemistry. Take a deeeeeep breath and focus. See my sentence, above.

1. Challenge.

I strive for a challenge. I live for it. I love aiming for what seems to be unattainable, because when I obtain it, the feeling is amazing. I want to prove to myself what I already know, that nothing is impossible, and any preconceived notions of failure is only my mind getting the best of me. I want to obtain complete control over my mind. Dominate it. I will control my mind, it will NOT control me. This is the ultimate challenge to me, and I can't wait to conquer it.

Interesting. This sounds a bit like EST or some other new agey type thing. Hey, whatever floats your dinghy, that's cool. However, (and again), at the moment, concentrate on 15 credits. Seriously. Because without them, you can be a zen master of all things "MOTO", yet you'll still be a 'wannabeee'.

2. Honor, Pride

I want to be a Marine because I want the pride associated with that word. I respect all branches of military, but I want the honor of being a United States Marine. I want the black dress uniform, with all the decorations. I want to make my Mother proud of me. I want to set an example for my 6 yr old brother and my 3 yr old sister. I want to serve this beautiful country. I want to appreciate all the freedoms it gives me 100x more than I do now. I want to serve with Honor, and I want to make it my personal responsibility to have an active role in protecting Our freedoms.

The uniform is actually a dark blue. You don't get those decorations just by showing up, like the army. Ya gotta earn 'em, mostly the hard way. Regardless, honorable sentiments.

3. Heroism

I want to save lives. I want to liberate the innocent from the grips of Tyranny. I want the tyrants to fall. I want their citizens to live a free life, a life similar to the lives we live in America. I want to be a true Patriot. I want this more than I've wanted anything in my life. I want my MOS to either be Explosives Ordinance Disposal or Special Forces. Depending on the experience I get before I enlist in February 2012. I'm considering explosives ordinance disposal because I want to dismantle explosives. I want to be in a position to Protect my squad. My men are not my men. My men, are extensions of Me. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Truth be told, it sounds to me like you've read 'Starship Troopers' LOL. Oh, and if you want to be 'Special Forces', that's the army. They wear green beenies and shout 'Hoohah' all the time. Ain't us. EOD isn't an enlistment MOS, so pick something else.

4. Conditioning

I want to get into the best shape of my life. It's simple. Its Darwinism. Survival of the fittest, and I want to be as fit as I can possibly be. I want to learn how to survive off of the wilderness. I want to endure harsh conditions with a smile. I want to become superhuman.

The only people I ever saw 'enduring harsh conditions with a smile' were the dead, and the mentally ill. Neither of which is a good thing for you. If you want to learn to 'survive off the wilderness', you can take a course for that. Superhuman? Try just being you, and being the best 'you' you can be. And maybe lay off the video games some. Methinks they are skewing your perspective.

Last but not least I want the benefits post-service. I want to be able to go to school for free after I leave. Sure, the money will be good, but that is NOT why I want to be a Marine.

Really? Funny, I thought this was about being 'superhuman/hero/survive in the wilderness etc etc'. NOW you want free school out of the deal? LOL. Heck, people in hell want ice water kid. Money will be good? As compared to what, I wonder? Then again, if you have no job at present, I suppose a private's pay is better than nothing.

I'm looking for anything I can do to put myself ahead of the rest of the recruits by the time I reach Parris Island in February. I want to learn survival skills before I get there, how to read Maps of Topography, Shooting angles, any way I can get my hands on USMC equipment for Weight Training, any way I can get a step ahead on Leadership, and Hand-to-Hand combat. That's why Im looking for a vet to lead me to my goals. I will get there regardless, but I feel like I will achieve more with voices of wisdom to guide me.

Uhhh....in the immortal words of someone famous "Settle down, Beavis". How's about you get to 'poolee' status FIRST, then lets concentrate on other things. And nobody 'learns' survival skills out the gate. Gotta crawl before you walk. Same goes with the rest of it. Once you become an expert at the mundane, day to day 'being' a Marine, THEN the cool stuff comes around. ANYone can take a survival course. ANYone can take a map reading course, or buy a DVD on weight training. But, as I said before, just because you put a baby in the oven, that don't mean it's a biscut.

As stated, at least on this forum, please don't use that particular term. No doubt you had no intention to violate the rules so I'm letting it pass.

Valor.

Pick another screen name and PM me. 'Valor', unless it's an old family name or some such, ain't gonna cut it. Most people with those sorts of decorations will tell you they were simply doing their job. And the only heroes, real ones anyway, I happen to know, are dead.

You have much to learn, young Padawan.

USNAviator
03-10-11, 08:36 PM
Jason I'm reminded of a quote by Gen. Patton

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. "

Lets see how high this youngster bounces

(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/georgespa164737.html)

Wyoming
03-10-11, 08:39 PM
Good Ending!

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 08:40 PM
A personal fav. of mine too! Thanks Wyoming! We....shall see.

sparkie
03-10-11, 08:41 PM
Lep,,,, You're good, Brother.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 08:45 PM
I have no earthly idea of whom you may be referring, sir.

Wyoming
03-10-11, 08:47 PM
Hahahaha, I grow weary and good ending. Hahahaha.

DevinD
03-14-11, 04:54 PM
Now that we are where we are supposed to be, I shall elaborate. You asked for a "Marine Veteran" opine, and that is what you shall get. Strap yourself in.

You are welcome! Thanks for having good grammar, sentence structure, and a small command of the English language. Refreshing. And, rest assured, had you not, this would be going a different direction.

By seeing, in person, a recruiter? Or just 'deciding'? From your posts, I'd say the latter. That is fine, but you need to 'do', rather than 'think'. Go and DO.

In a month? (Physical shape). Either you weren't that bad to begin with or you are fooling yourself. How fast can you run a mile and a half? How many pushups, crunches, and dead hang pullups can you do?

GED...which tells me you dropped from HS. That...isn't good. 15 credits is the 'minimum' required to enlist, just so you know. You will NOT (read that again) be a priority enlistment. Know this going in.

This is like saying you want to be a unicorn. You've seen the pictures, read the books, and now, presto, because they are coooool, you are a unicorn! Just wishing it doesn't make it so. Don't make the mistake of 'thinking' you are a Marine because in your heart of hearts you really, really, really, want it. Our title can only be earned. It's never given, sold, traded, or 'larnt' in books.

Oh, and don't break your mind or your body prior to Recruit training. Let that be the Drill Instructors job.

See the last paragraph above. Your mission from here is to get qualified to enlist. Worry about all the existential stuff later.

Hopefully this didn't occur while a student of modern chemistry. Take a deeeeeep breath and focus. See my sentence, above.

1. Challenge.

Interesting. This sounds a bit like EST or some other new agey type thing. Hey, whatever floats your dinghy, that's cool. However, (and again), at the moment, concentrate on 15 credits. Seriously. Because without them, you can be a zen master of all things "MOTO", yet you'll still be a 'wannabeee'.

2. Honor, Pride

The uniform is actually a dark blue. You don't get those decorations just by showing up, like the army. Ya gotta earn 'em, mostly the hard way. Regardless, honorable sentiments.

3. Heroism

Truth be told, it sounds to me like you've read 'Starship Troopers' LOL. Oh, and if you want to be 'Special Forces', that's the army. They wear green beenies and shout 'Hoohah' all the time. Ain't us. EOD isn't an enlistment MOS, so pick something else.

4. Conditioning

The only people I ever saw 'enduring harsh conditions with a smile' were the dead, and the mentally ill. Neither of which is a good thing for you. If you want to learn to 'survive off the wilderness', you can take a course for that. Superhuman? Try just being you, and being the best 'you' you can be. And maybe lay off the video games some. Methinks they are skewing your perspective.

Really? Funny, I thought this was about being 'superhuman/hero/survive in the wilderness etc etc'. NOW you want free school out of the deal? LOL. Heck, people in hell want ice water kid. Money will be good? As compared to what, I wonder? Then again, if you have no job at present, I suppose a private's pay is better than nothing.

Uhhh....in the immortal words of someone famous "Settle down, Beavis". How's about you get to 'poolee' status FIRST, then lets concentrate on other things. And nobody 'learns' survival skills out the gate. Gotta crawl before you walk. Same goes with the rest of it. Once you become an expert at the mundane, day to day 'being' a Marine, THEN the cool stuff comes around. ANYone can take a survival course. ANYone can take a map reading course, or buy a DVD on weight training. But, as I said before, just because you put a baby in the oven, that don't mean it's a biscut.

As stated, at least on this forum, please don't use that particular term. No doubt you had no intention to violate the rules so I'm letting it pass.

Valor.

Pick another screen name and PM me. 'Valor', unless it's an old family name or some such, ain't gonna cut it. Most people with those sorts of decorations will tell you they were simply doing their job. And the only heroes, real ones anyway, I happen to know, are dead.

You have much to learn, young Padawan.

I know. I have a lot to learn but I'm eager to. You're right about a lot of things, but it only changes my opinion a little. I do need to focus on those 15 credits, but that will be simple. I hadn't even stepped foot in a classroom in 3 yrs since I dropped out, got my GED in no time at all. Went to community college, took my placement tests, passed them with no problem. Qualified to take an Accuplacer test (Testing out of a course pretty much) that if I passed, I would've gotten 3 credits off the bat. I failed it by one point, and learned a valuable lesson. No matter how talented you think you may be, preparation is half the battle.

My physical fitness is heading in the right direction. I ran a mile about a month or so ago in about 6:30, so I'd guess and say that I could pull off a mile and a half in about 9:30-10 flat. My cardio is I need to improve the most. I've quit smoking menthol cigarettes. I smoke marlboro light's now. Cigarettes are pretty hard to quit. Pull ups are a breeze. I only weigh about 130-135 but its mostly muscle. I do a lot of reps when I work out in an effort to increase my Strength, not necessarily my Mass. Strength-wise, I need to work on my Triceps and my Deltoids, and get my quads in better shape because I feel like I'm going to need those more than I think.

The video game comment... truthfully I dont play many VG's anymore. When I was younger I played them all the time. Some of them hit me pretty personally. This one I remember, Metal Gear Solid it's called, its an infiltration game with a great story. I remember always wanting to be the Protagonist deep down. Solid Snake. ha ha There's a lot of things that I've gone through growing up that have gotten me to this point. It was just realizing that the fight was there.

I'm tired of pushing paper all day.

I'm ready to push myself instead.

I've actually hit some luck since I originally posted this thread. Met someone who used to train Green Berets. Planning on getting into SERE training (Yeah, careful what you wish for). That, on top of basic weapon skills. Correctly drawing a pistol, weapon disarmament, shooting angles, stack formations. "Cutting the Pie" when rounding corners. Fun stuff.
I plan on learning all I can until February. Everything I can. Anything less than perfection is unacceptable.

I do have a lot to learn, and trust me, I am going to learn a lot. I've realized that I have a tough time with the feeling of Mercy. I grant mercy to others that may not deserve it, and it's been messing with my mind. It's almost like my nature. For ex: The person training me ended up putting someone in a choke hold at this party we were at, because the guy accidently hit this female because he was being stupid trying to fight-intoxicated. One of this idiots friends tried to get behind my mentor and hit him in the back of the head. I threw him off the front porch, then acted casual when he turned around ( there was a lot of people at this party) he looked at me, I just looked at him. He didn't know what was going on. That's the thing though... Why didn't I just attack him? Show no mercy, completely incapacitate him... I do not know the answer to that.. and I want to know it

I could talk forever, but I have specific questions regarding SERE training, and Hand-to-Hand combat.

I know the SERE training is something that Wannabee's cant really learn about, so I want someone to tell me without really... telling me. Not necessarilly what SERE training IS, but how to Conquer it.

I will PM my new user name ASAP. Hopefully Solid Snake isn't taken.

DevinD
03-14-11, 04:56 PM
Geez kid, I don't think you can hack it. Your Brain Housing Group isn't quite up to par with the Marine Corps ethos. you really need to go out on your own for awhile, experience life as it really is, without mommy holding your hand. If not Parris Island will eat you up and spit you out into the swamps.

If you do make it to PI, never quit, never show weakness, never lose your spirit. Your Drill Instructors will weed you out if you're not quality material. I hope you can understand what 'we're' talking about.

The first paragraph. I do not live with my mother, nor my father. I've been on my own since I was 16. Mommy let go of my hand a long long time ago.

The second paragraph. Is exactly what I need to hear. It's the truth and I hear those words more than I hear anything.

Wyoming
03-14-11, 05:21 PM
I've actually hit some luck since I originally posted this thread. Met someone who used to train Green Berets. Planning on getting into SERE training (Yeah, careful what you wish for). That, on top of basic weapon skills. Correctly drawing a pistol, weapon disarmament, shooting angles, stack formations. "Cutting the Pie" when rounding corners. Fun stuff.
I plan on learning all I can until February. Everything I can. Anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Yeah, you'll need all that secret squirrel stuff in basic training.

I do have a lot to learn, and trust me, I am going to learn a lot. I've realized that I have a tough time with the feeling of Mercy. I grant mercy to others that may not deserve it, and it's been messing with my mind. It's almost like my nature. For ex: The person training me ended up putting someone in a choke hold at this party we were at, because the guy accidently hit this female because he was being stupid trying to fight-intoxicated. One of this idiots friends tried to get behind my mentor and hit him in the back of the head. I threw him off the front porch, then acted casual when he turned around ( there was a lot of people at this party) he looked at me, I just looked at him. He didn't know what was going on. That's the thing though... Why didn't I just attack him? Show no mercy, completely incapacitate him... I do not know the answer to that.. and I want to know it. :sick: / :sick:

I've actually hit some luck since I originally posted this thread. Met someone who used to train Green Berets. No kidding? Where did he do the training?

You should find yourself quite useful to the Maureen Corpse Drill Sargeants when you go to basic.

Oh yeah, and stick with those Marlboros. Having a smoke after a good workout out will do you wonders.

doc h fmf
03-14-11, 05:24 PM
Ohoh I'm In Trouble I Broke Rules 1 And 6 .

Ready To Begin Sir

Semper Fi
Stepohen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

doc h fmf
03-14-11, 05:26 PM
Boy Thats Bad I Missed Spelled My Name

Stephen Doc Hansen Fmf

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-11, 06:03 PM
Frakin computer tossed me out before I had completed my missive. Starting again...

1: The squirrel who is going to 'teach' you this skillset...is, quite simply, full of bovine excrement. If you have been suckered in to his poser-ness, then you are a fool. The only people who can 'teach' you this stuff are trained, certified, instructors, in a controlled environment. PERIOD. Taking you into the woods and making you do dumb stuff is NOT 'training' but a way for this guy to get off, and you to part with your cash.

2: What makes you think you would 'win' ANY fight? In so 'winning', by the way, (meaning you are the last one standing), that means you get to go to jail for assault. That will for sure KILL any hopes of becoming a Marine. Or anything else, for that matter. Don't do stupid sheet.

3: GO SEE A RECRUITER, ASAP. All this squirrel talk is just that...talk. Until I see a ship date, you are simply blowing smoke.

Brianhipwell
03-14-11, 06:19 PM
I'd be leery of 'paying' someone to take me into the woods for anything! Now, standing in front of an Elementary School with a bag of candy and a whistle.....well, that's another thing
HIP

USNAviator
03-14-11, 06:20 PM
One question yet I have so many....;) This Green Beret you met, did he refer to himself as a Green Beret? Just asking

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-11, 06:29 PM
I'll bet he's a 'Green Berrette'.

Brianhipwell
03-14-11, 06:55 PM
Naw. He was a Green Parfait.....
HIP

DevinD
03-14-11, 11:43 PM
Yeah, you'll need all that secret squirrel stuff in basic training.

:sick: / :sick:

No kidding? Where did he do the training?

You should find yourself quite useful to the Maureen Corpse Drill Sargeants when you go to basic.

Oh yeah, and stick with those Marlboros. Having a smoke after a good workout out will do you wonders.

He did the training in Troy, NC.

I live in Charlotte.

He stopped doing it because he says the standards got too simple. That they let a lot of people pass that didn't deserve it.

DevinD
03-14-11, 11:45 PM
I'd be leery of 'paying' someone to take me into the woods for anything! Now, standing in front of an Elementary School with a bag of candy and a whistle.....well, that's another thing
HIP

Lol. Who ever said I was paying the guy.

DevinD
03-14-11, 11:47 PM
One question yet I have so many....;) This Green Beret you met, did he refer to himself as a Green Beret? Just asking

No, He never did. Hasn't. We're actually pretty good friends now. He's my wingman ha ha

**Edit**

Seriously though. When did I ever say I was paying the guy. I may be a wannabee but I'm not an Idiot.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-11, 11:49 PM
Ahhh, yaaas. Standard story. &quot;I was toooo harrrdd/coool/demanding&quot; whatever. <br />
<br />
And quite frankly, I give 'survival' type training courses. But I don't claim to be some sort of squirrel with...

DevinD
03-15-11, 12:01 AM
Frakin computer tossed me out before I had completed my missive. Starting again...

1: The squirrel who is going to 'teach' you this skillset...is, quite simply, full of bovine excrement. If you have been suckered in to his poser-ness, then you are a fool. The only people who can 'teach' you this stuff are trained, certified, instructors, in a controlled environment. PERIOD. Taking you into the woods and making you do dumb stuff is NOT 'training' but a way for this guy to get off, and you to part with your cash.

2: What makes you think you would 'win' ANY fight? In so 'winning', by the way, (meaning you are the last one standing), that means you get to go to jail for assault. That will for sure KILL any hopes of becoming a Marine. Or anything else, for that matter. Don't do stupid sheet.

3: GO SEE A RECRUITER, ASAP. All this squirrel talk is just that...talk. Until I see a ship date, you are simply blowing smoke.

I can't see a recruiter. I've talked to Sgt. Brown. He's in Charlotte, NC. Check my facts if you want to. Or, call him. I have his number in my phone. He told me I need these 15 credits before we should talk. I'm guessing I'm not worth his time if I can't sign. That's okay though.

2: You're right about that. I can't fight anyone right now. Nobody. I don't know. Just something I noticed about myself. Sometimes I feel like I have to do everything myself... growth wise.

3: I am honest. I can't blow smoke. Honor, Courage, Commitment. Right?

I really wish I had a ship date but I just... don't.

DevinD
03-15-11, 12:09 AM
Normally, Mine would be too, but I've met this guys family. You know?? His 14 yr old sister, His mom, Stepfather. Everybody. He's a normal guy. Young too, actually... my age. 5 months older <br />

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 12:22 AM
1, 3: RE: The ship date. Got it. You are correct. Until you get those credits, he DOESN'T have time for you. Nothing personal, just professional. Just the way it is.

2: Getting in a furball is the quickest way to short circut any potential military career you may have. I don't care if you are a 5th degree black belt or a 32nd degree mason. Just stupid. Esp. over someone's allegedly offended honor, including your own. Ain't worth it.

Next item:

1: Your guy is full of it. No way he can be your age and be some sort of SERE instructor. Not.. generally possible. That means, and we are taking a great leap of faith here, that he did a 4 year enlistment, and during that time, made high enough rank, and completed ALL schools, plus a deployment (or two) and was good enough to be selected to instruct officers and senior enlisted, as well as junior enlisted, in a very sensitive, dangerous, topic. While *possible*...it's unlikely at best. Instructors at these schools are NOT, for the most part, junior NCO's. They are men of long experience in the field and experts at their craft. NOT 'rookies' on a first enlistment. I never 'say never'...but it's very, very, unlikely.

Big whoop. He has a vest...with pockets. Dude, I have a vest...with pockets. Anyone with enough money can outfit themselves with a vest with cool pockets and all sorts of other crap in it. Ebay sells all that crap. So does any halfway decent surplus store.

You met him...at a pool hall. Mr high speed has nothing better to do than hang out in the pool hall? He's not running secret missions or killing bad guys? Must be a slow week. LOL.

Really. I investigate posers for a LIVING. And for this website. Get the picture yet?

Normal? He seems like a grade "A" Squirrel to me. Who needs a friend, or someone he can impress with 'war stories'.

Ax yourself, young padawan, this question....WHY you? What do YOU bring to his table?

DevinD
03-15-11, 01:05 AM
1, 3: RE: The ship date. Got it. You are correct. Until you get those credits, he DOESN'T have time for you. Nothing personal, just professional. Just the way it is.

2: Getting in a furball is the quickest way to short circut any potential military career you may have. I don't care if you are a 5th degree black belt or a 32nd degree mason. Just stupid. Esp. over someone's allegedly offended honor, including your own. Ain't worth it.

Next item:

1: Your guy is full of it. No way he can be your age and be some sort of SERE instructor. Not.. generally possible. That means, and we are taking a great leap of faith here, that he did a 4 year enlistment, and during that time, made high enough rank, and completed ALL schools, plus a deployment (or two) and was good enough to be selected to instruct officers and senior enlisted, as well as junior enlisted, in a very sensitive, dangerous, topic. While *possible*...it's unlikely at best. Instructors at these schools are NOT, for the most part, junior NCO's. They are men of long experience in the field and experts at their craft. NOT 'rookies' on a first enlistment. I never 'say never'...but it's very, very, unlikely.

Big whoop. He has a vest...with pockets. Dude, I have a vest...with pockets. Anyone with enough money can outfit themselves with a vest with cool pockets and all sorts of other crap in it. Ebay sells all that crap. So does any halfway decent surplus store.

You met him...at a pool hall. Mr high speed has nothing better to do than hang out in the pool hall? He's not running secret missions or killing bad guys? Must be a slow week. LOL.

Really. I investigate posers for a LIVING. And for this website. Get the picture yet?

Normal? He seems like a grade "A" Squirrel to me. Who needs a friend, or someone he can impress with 'war stories'.

Ax yourself, young padawan, this question....WHY you? What do YOU bring to his table?

What do I bring to his table. That is the most important question so I'll try to answer that first.

Honestly.. I'm not sure. He's new to the Charlotte/Matthews area. He was born in Hickory and wants to meet people here. Its a pool hall he normally never goes to. He was doing work on the girl's house I met him through. She brought him to the pool hall where I shoot league on Wednesdays. She introduced him to me. I never approached the guy. He didnt even say anything about military until I told him I wanted to be a Marine. From there... we just hit it off talking about all sorts of things. Ideals, Conspiracys. The NSA. Just... Intelligent conversation you cant have with normal...idiots.

He claimed that He "knows people" and that when he was training the Berets.. he was a part of the squad that would play the "bad guys" he said he was doing this when he was 15. I don't know when he stopped.

I have yet to catch him in a lie.

After the first day we talked, I told him for sure to hit me up the next day, that I wanted to get started learning things.

He hit me up, that night came there with a "gun" he pulled it out said "tell me... is this gun real?" I picked it up. Noticed the weight, checked the manufacturer.. It felt real. so.... i said "real" he said "nope.. fake" Airsoft.

I brought him inside we sat in the garage. Practiced drawing a pistol. Introduced me to some stun-stick techniques. Sternum-rub. Not a fun move but he didnt actually hit me with it... it was a light imitation.

showed me simple disarmament techniques. When a pistol is to your head and the enemy is close? Always keep your hands up. You know... just things like that He did it all in a fast motion and told me that I dont want to ever try that stuff untill I have it down. Really have it down.

he said its easier to train with airsoft because bullets are cheaper.

He's claimed to have done things in texas.. formal displays for the army advocating use of "airsoft" as a cheaper means of training. Even laughed about a night he sat with some guy he knew in the boarder patrol. They cracked a 6 pack and poped airsoft bullets at people trying to get into here.

I emphasize that I have yet to catch him in a lie.

What do I bring to his table. I really... don't know. My only guess comes from either Optimism/or Nievity (if thats a word)

I believe that... He just sees that I'm taking this seriously. I'm not a dweeb that has a fixation with weapons. I'm a guy that's finally found out what he wants to do. I think this guy is genuinely a good person.
I think he wants to help me reach a goal.. everytime I ask him how he was able to be involved with Green Berets at that age.. he says "Its not what you know, It's who you know" Not a completely true saying, but I see his point. I mean J has helped someone who's pretty much like a mother to me, put together a bunk bed for her son. I do not know what he plans to get from this. The Nievity (again, if thats a real word) in me is thinking he just might want a good friend. Somebody you can fight with, bleed with, then at the end of it, shake a hand and enjoy a beer.

That fight I talked about earlier, the fight. He didn't just rush this guy that accidently hit this woman and start wailing on him. He put him in a CHOKEHOLD and removed him from the building. Who does that?

He definitely at some point has had some type of Military experience. No doubt about it. No dog tags though.. Like.. When he was explaining Stacks. The formations... He explained that you never want to have your arm directly on a Wall in a Firefight. Enemy bullets follow the wall... right into your arm.

Stack in a hallway, I think I remember him saying.. 6 man team, 2 on the right side of the hallway, two in the middle of the hallway, Then two more on the right side of the hallway. He's said how he's done a mission to try to compromise the National Guard armory here in NC, with a CAG op. and a MARSOC guy. The guy knows wayy to much to be just a civillian it seems. I really could go on for awhile on all the things he's said... We're supposed to be going to greensboro this weekend for something. To see someone he knows, IDK Sgt. I just dont know what to think here. I want to be wise about going to Greensboro.

Devin D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 01:18 AM
I just caught him. Multiple times.

NO branch of the military lets 15 year old kids play opfor in the woods against trained soldiers, Marines, Airmen, or even Camp Fire girls. None. Nada. Zero. Doesn't happen. The liability concerns alone are....astronomical.

This all sounds like standard pozer nonsense to me. "I know people" "I did black ops but can't tell you about 'em" "Trained spies" "Got a classified medal" "Did wetwork". Holy crap the list is endless and he's hitting every single mark LOL. Textbook, I tellya, textbook.

Conspiracies, the NSA, black ops blah blah blah. Please don't tell me you are foolish enough to believe in the Illuminati, strange messages on roadsigns for the UN army of occupation, 9/11 was an inside job, etc etc etc ad nauseum....

And just how do you (no offense) have the training, knowledge, and experience to 'catch' him in a lie? Quite simply, like 90 percent of people...you don't.

Please also tell me that this goofball isn't walking around carrying a lookalike airsoft gun in public....OMFG that is not only stupid, but likely as not to get him either locked up or shot by someone who has a REAL gun. Holy foolish poser, batman.

And the Border patrol allowing some goofball with an airsoft to go out and shoot at illegal aliens? Well...stranger things have certainly happened but in combination with all the above...geeez.

Yeah, he's quite simply full of sheet, and you are lapping it up like a puppy at the milk bowl.

Here is a very, very, simple test you can do. Ask him his branch of service, MOS, and when/where he went to Recruit training. That's ALL. NONE of that is 'classified' at ANY level. Never has been, never will be.

Of course, that proves nothing, since posers research and read to...but most of them are lazy, and only do 'surface' stuff to 'research' their character.

You do what you want re: Greensboro or anything else. That's your call.

DevinD
03-15-11, 01:25 AM
There's more, One of my friends I've known for a long time want's to be a Marine as well. We were at a mutual friends house that I brought J to. My good friend was talking about how if you sink your chin into your chest, that you can prevent being choked from behind. J begged to differ. and proceeded to show him how you can "shake the choke in" pretty much jabbing the choking arm in and out of his jaw to get him to loosen up. He's showed me Basic introductory Stun Stick moves. "sternum-rub" stick down the chest then right into the solarplexes

Basic disarmament techniques.. If someone has a pistol to your head, close range always keep your hands up, in a swift motion shoot for the slide piece on the pistol. Gun cannot fire if the slide is being held. Proper firing techniques with a pistol. Feet square, knees slightly bent, center of gravity angled forward to compensate for the recoil. back straight.

Again... "cutting the pie" when turning corners as opposed to just hopping on out there in a vertical line.

IED's, and he's told a story about an explosive more powerful than the basic IED... I forgot the name of it. Supposedly it can go through a sherman like butter. He's talked about how the Insurgents are getting smarter about our "kick door" building siege techniques. how they are placing tripwires on the door frames. Door gets kicked? Door goes boom.

Too too much more. All I can do is either believe him and trust him, or... not believe him and... miss out on getting some experience with live ammunition

DevinD
03-15-11, 01:29 AM
I just caught him. Multiple times.

NO branch of the military lets 15 year old kids play opfor in the woods against trained soldiers, Marines, Airmen, or even Camp Fire girls. None. Nada. Zero. Doesn't happen. The liability concerns alone are....astronomical.

This all sounds like standard pozer nonsense to me. "I know people" "I did black ops but can't tell you about 'em" "Trained spies" "Got a classified medal" "Did wetwork". Holy crap the list is endless and he's hitting every single mark LOL. Textbook, I tellya, textbook.

Conspiracies, the NSA, black ops blah blah blah. Please don't tell me you are foolish enough to believe in the Illuminati, strange messages on roadsigns for the UN army of occupation, 9/11 was an inside job, etc etc etc ad nauseum....

And just how do you (no offense) have the training, knowledge, and experience to 'catch' him in a lie? Quite simply, like 90 percent of people...you don't.

Please also tell me that this goofball isn't walking around carrying a lookalike airsoft gun in public....OMFG that is not only stupid, but likely as not to get him either locked up or shot by someone who has a REAL gun. Holy foolish poser, batman.

And the Border patrol allowing some goofball with an airsoft to go out and shoot at illegal aliens? Well...stranger things have certainly happened but in combination with all the above...geeez.

Yeah, he's quite simply full of sheet, and you are lapping it up like a puppy at the milk bowl.

Here is a very, very, simple test you can do. Ask him his branch of service, MOS, and when/where he went to Recruit training. That's ALL. NONE of that is 'classified' at ANY level. Never has been, never will be.

Of course, that proves nothing, since posers research and read to...but most of them are lazy, and only do 'surface' stuff to 'research' their character.

You do what you want re: Greensboro or anything else. That's your call.

Negatory. Does not carry it in public. He's not stupid.. It's just for training purposes. Getting the feel of the grip. Making drawing a pistol more muscle memory. Ect.

He hasn't served. he wants to be a mechanical engineer. What troubles me though is that people that are really close to my life.. Have really asked me if I know what I'm doing about this situation. Idk. Remember that guy that told cesar to "Beware the ides of March" I hate that feeling.

I'm not sure. All I can do is what I feel is right for me right now. It's 2:30am est and I have to be at work by 9am Est.

What's right for me right now, is sleep. Thanks SGT. The insight is Priceless.

Devin D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 01:35 AM
He hasn't served? Then he knows diksquat and has no business 'training' you to do anything other than play video games.

Period.

He's full of shivt.

Sounds like also he's 'vidgame' experienced. Lots of 'kewl' moves that he can 'teach' you that really, really, look and sound good on paper...but god help you if you think you can really do them against someone with training, knowledge, or experience. Or a combination of the 3. Meaning some street urchin will stomp a mudhole in your head, or a REAL specops guy (not some 'shadoewarrior') will hurt you.

"Training" purposes my azz. You use REAL weapons for 'training' not toy guns.

SQUIRRRRRRRREELLLLL!

http://www.abdolian.com/thoughts/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/armed-squirrel.jpg

DevinD
03-15-11, 10:09 AM
He hasn't served? Then he knows diksquat and has no business 'training' you to do anything other than play video games.

Period.

He's full of shivt.

Sounds like also he's 'vidgame' experienced. Lots of 'kewl' moves that he can 'teach' you that really, really, look and sound good on paper...but god help you if you think you can really do them against someone with training, knowledge, or experience. Or a combination of the 3. Meaning some street urchin will stomp a mudhole in your head, or a REAL specops guy (not some 'shadoewarrior') will hurt you.

SQUIRRRRRRRREELLLLL!

I hear you SGT. I hear you well. We're trying to find some land to use live rounds. I haven't shot with the airsoft gun, just working on Mechanics. Muscle Memory.

I'm not sure. I'm just going to be wary and learn things I feel that are usefull. When I get to PI and have to be rebuilt? So be it

USNAviator
03-15-11, 10:25 AM

Period.

He's full of shivt.

SQUIRRRRRRRREELLLLL!

Agree 100% This new BFF of your was training Special Forces (BTW they never refer to themselves a Green Berets) at age 15??? Doesn't that sound a little odd to you?

This training he claims to have done was in Troy, NC? Ask him specific questions about location. Firstly, Camp Mackall isn't in Troy. It's essentially where SF candidates are weeded out. Ask him how long that phase of training lasts? 24-26 days

Next step is the Q course at Ft Bragg and there is no way they allow civilian instructors on base. Especially 20 yo's who aren't in service

Ask him who ROBIN SAGE is? It's not a person but a month long training session again at Ft Bragg. If he gives you an answer other than the correct one, you're dealing with a poser and stay the heck away from him.

DevinD
03-15-11, 10:58 AM
Agree 100% This new BFF of your was training Special Forces (BTW they never refer to themselves a Green Berets) at age 15??? Doesn't that sound a little odd to you?

This training he claims to have done was in Troy, NC? Ask him specific questions about location. Firstly, Camp Mackall isn't in Troy. It's essentially where SF candidates are weeded out. Ask him how long that phase of training lasts? 24-26 days

Good idea. I'll let you know what he says.

Next step is the Q course at Ft Bragg and there is no way they allow civilian instructors on base. Especially 20 yo's who aren't in service

Ask him who ROBIN SAGE is? It's not a person but a month long training session again at Ft Bragg. If he gives you an answer other than the correct one, you're dealing with a poser and stay the heck away from him.

I'll ask him who ROBIN SAGE is. Thank you for that advise. I'll ask J about that at the right time. This weekend most likely.

I'm more concerned about him introducing me to his friend in Greensboro. He's saying this guy is Ex-Marine. I haven't met any of his "friends" yet. Just family. I hate the feeling of walking into something blind. It's a conflict. Half of me trusts this guy and the other half feels like my instincts telling me that something is up here. I have to figure out what that is.

Lisa 23
03-15-11, 11:04 AM

Good idea. I'll let you know what he says.

I'll ask him who ROBIN SAGE is. Thank you for that advise. I'll ask J about that at the right time. This weekend most likely.

I'm more concerned about him introducing me to his friend in Greensboro. He's saying this guy is Ex-Marine. I haven't met any of his "friends" yet. Just family. I hate the feeling of walking into something blind. It's a conflict. Half of me trusts this guy and the other half feels like my instincts telling me that something is up here. I have to figure out what that is.

There are NO ex-Marines.....Once A Marine, Always A Marine!
As I've told you in PM's..........LISTEN to Sgt Leprechaun!!! He knows his sh!t.
If your instincts are telling you something is up, then you're right. You are going to get yourself involved with someone that's going to lead you down the wrong path.
If you really want to be a Marine, then LEARN from Marines, not someone you don't even know.

USNAviator
03-15-11, 11:23 AM
There are NO ex-Marines.....Once A Marine, Always A Marine!
As I've told you in PM's..........LISTEN to Sgt Leprechaun!!! He knows his sh!t.
If your instincts are telling you something is up, then you're right. You are going to get yourself involved with someone that's going to lead you down the wrong path.
If you really want to be a Marine, then LEARN from Marines, not someone you don't even know.

Listen to this Softballcatch, she knows what she's talking about. Also was the phrase ex-Marine yours or his? If he introduces you to this person as an ex-Marine and that person doesn't take offense, it's another red flag.

DevinD
03-15-11, 12:20 PM
Listen to this Softballcatch, she knows what she's talking about. Also was the phrase ex-Marine yours or his? If he introduces you to this person as an ex-Marine and that person doesn't take offense, it's another red flag.

Good advise. I'll see how he feels when I ask him if he's ex-marine.

I might not be going to greensboro this weekend. The VP of my company offered me a PT job at a new bar he opened up near Charlotte. I asked him if I could get Secret Squirrel a job. He agreed and now we're both going to be there this weekend from about 7pm to 2am Friday night and Saturday night. I'm not sure if Greensboro is going to be possible if we do that. He mentioned this Merc company named Blackwater. Apparently this guy used to be affiliated with it, "this GB guy"

Can we move this thread somewhere else. Anyone with internet access can see everything I'm saying. I've been really specific.

*edit* I think if I remember right... Ex-Marine was my phrase. I'm not sure if I'm remembering right though. I'll have to take notice if he uses that phrase.

Lisa 23
03-15-11, 12:28 PM
Devin...all I can say is that you are making a HUGE MISTAKE working with and possibly going to Greensboro with someone you don't even know.
I smell TROUBLE!!!

DrZ
03-15-11, 12:59 PM
Devon,
I have read this entire thread and will put my thoughts out here as well.

First...Listen to Sgt Leprechaun. He has been around for a while, knows how things work, and can typically smell a poser at 500 meters without fail.

Second...I applaud your desire to be a Marine however.... ALL Marines know that you must prepare for any task. You want to join us...then you must prepare as well. A recruiter is not going to waste time with you unless you (1) have no issues in your past, (2) have fulfilled the requirements to even be considered, and (3) prove to him/her that you are worth their time. It is part of the game and the rules stay the same at all times.

Third...Don't worry about training with someone whom I also believe is a poser. The Marine Corps has no need for recruits who believe they have been trained prior to hitting boot. The DIs will have to rip out that garbage and train you the Marine way. Whatever the Green Parfait could provide you will only cause you issue in recruit training. Stay far away from him and his potential training. And definitely do not go out into a remote area with anyone who wants to play war games with live ammunitions.

Forth.... The recruiter will talk to you if you approach him/her properly. Tell him/her that you understand that a potential recruit needs either a HS diploma or a GED with a minimum of 15 credits. Tell them you are working on getting the credits but you desire to learn all you can in the meantime from a reliable source...AKA the recruiters. This will let them know you are a reasonable person and they will spend the time needed. They won't give you a full day because they have work to do...but they will give you enough time to answer your questions and to ensure you know what you need to know and what you need to do.

Fifth...You seem to want to join for what I believe are correct reasons. You want to move your life in a proper direction and are motivated to do this. Great...wonderful...fine. BUT to do this.... you have to understand that currently the Marine Corps is in a downsizing mode. Couple this information with the knowledge there is a glut of potential recruits who currently fulfill all the necessary requirements. What this means is it is going to make it difficult for you to be seen as a potential until you fulfill the basic requirements. When you fulfill ALL requirements to become a potential recruit and are accepted into the DEP... THEN you need to bust your butt everyday so the recruiters see that you really do want to be a Marine and they/we want you to join as our brother. I have been out for nearly 40 years yet I am still as much of a Marine as the day I received my title. This is how the Marine Corps is...and how it will always be. Be respectful to those here...they have earned it. Be respectful to the recruiters.... they earn it every day!

The sixth and final point is that you need to focus on your goals. Your main goal is to become a Marine. I suggest you start by following number four. Make a physical list of what they tell you. Mark off the requirements one by one until they are complete. When you have completed them, then visit the recruiters again. This time, you will have everything necessary to really start towards becoming a US Marine. Remember to be honest, be respectful, and to be thankful to each person who assists you in completing your dream. If this is too much to ask, then please plan on another branch because this IS WHAT IS NEEDED FROM EVERY PERSON WHO QUALIFIES TO STAND ON THE YELLOW FOOTPRINTS.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Brianhipwell
03-15-11, 01:14 PM
Whew...I gotta have a drink after reading about this Rambo guy. Jose Cuervo here I come. If I could only find my sombrero.

USNAviator
03-15-11, 02:05 PM
Devon,

First...Listen to Sgt Leprechaun. He has been around for a while, knows how things work, and can typically smell a poser at 500 meters without fail.

Second...I applaud your desire to be a Marine however.... ALL Marines know that you must prepare for any task. You want to join us...then you must prepare as well. A recruiter is not going to waste time with you unless you (1) have no issues in your past, (2) have fulfilled the requirements to even be considered, and (3) prove to him/her that you are worth their time. It is part of the game and the rules stay the same at all times.

Third...Don't worry about training with someone whom I also believe is a poser. The Marine Corps has no need for recruits who believe they have been trained prior to hitting boot. The DIs will have to rip out that garbage and train you the Marine way. Whatever the Green Parfait could provide you will only cause you issue in recruit training. Stay far away from him and his potential training. And definitely do not go out into a remote area with anyone who wants to play war games with live ammunitions.

Forth.... The recruiter will talk to you if you approach him/her properly. Tell him/her that you understand that a potential recruit needs either a HS diploma or a GED with a minimum of 15 credits. Tell them you are working on getting the credits but you desire to learn all you can in the meantime from a reliable source...AKA the recruiters. This will let them know you are a reasonable person and they will spend the time needed. They won't give you a full day because they have work to do...but they will give you enough time to answer your questions and to ensure you know what you need to know and what you need to do.

Fifth...You seem to want to join for what I believe are correct reasons. You want to move your life in a proper direction and are motivated to do this. Great...wonderful...fine. BUT to do this.... you have to understand that currently the Marine Corps is in a downsizing mode. Couple this information with the knowledge there is a glut of potential recruits who currently fulfill all the necessary requirements. What this means is it is going to make it difficult for you to be seen as a potential until you fulfill the basic requirements. When you fulfill ALL requirements to become a potential recruit and are accepted into the DEP... THEN you need to bust your butt everyday so the recruiters see that you really do want to be a Marine and they/we want you to join as our brother. I have been out for nearly 40 years yet I am still as much of a Marine as the day I received my title. This is how the Marine Corps is...and how it will always be. Be respectful to those here...they have earned it. Be respectful to the recruiters.... they earn it every day!

The sixth and final point is that you need to focus on your goals. Your main goal is to become a Marine. I suggest you start by following number four. Make a physical list of what they tell you. Mark off the requirements one by one until they are complete. When you have completed them, then visit the recruiters again. This time, you will have everything necessary to really start towards becoming a US Marine. Remember to be honest, be respectful, and to be thankful to each person who assists you in completing your dream. If this is too much to ask, then please plan on another branch because this IS WHAT IS NEEDED FROM EVERY PERSON WHO QUALIFIES TO STAND ON THE YELLOW FOOTPRINTS.

That's great advice Devon,listen to him!!!

DevinD
03-15-11, 02:07 PM
Devon,

Only issues with my past... In DEC. 2010 I got a DUI doing something Stupid. I'm going to end up having to pay a lawyer $2500 to handle my case. Hopefully I end up with something like unsupervised probation so I can still enlist. The requirements to be considered are (1) No pending legal cases, (2) 15 credits because I dropped out of high school.

Proving that I will be worth their time will be simple. I ended up having to sell my car just to get a head start on paying that $2500 (Learned a valuable lesson. Never drink and drive.) So... I have no car. Making it to a recruiter isn't easy at the moment. The court case is going to be resolved sometime in June I'm thinking. Can't get my credits until the end of January, 2012. (I've talked to an adviser at CPCC, that's the soonest I can have my credits.) I hate excuses, but It's hard to prepare myself with no transportation.

Any knowledge I gain that isnt USMC knowledge, I will not speak about. I'm just going to be another recruit. If they ask me to shoot a target? I'll shoot a target the way I know how to. If it's garbage and I have to correct it? I will. I'm not doing this so I can walk around with a, "I know everything" strut. That's arrogance and it's not how I was raised.

Do not go out into a remote area with live ammunition. This is the truth. That's stupid. I can't do that, you're right Sir. I can't risk that. Too many things can go wrong and I realize that.

Sigh. My mind's telling me that this doesn't seem feasible. I don't know why. I use the excuse of not having a car as justification as to why I feel like I can't keep in constant contact with a recruiter.

I respect every Marine. I want to work hard everyday... not just after I get accepted into the DEP. I can't explain it it's just how I am and how serious I'm taking this. I want to be as ready as I can be and this is the conflict I'm experiencing right now

Understood. 100% understood. Honor, Courage, Commitment.

I appreciate everyone who has added their input to this thread. I've heard everyone out, and have contemplated everything that everyone has said.

Thank you for giving me the freedom to choose. I'll make the right decisions. I mean everything I say.

*edit* Please spell my name as Devin, not Devon. Thank you

DevinD
03-15-11, 02:13 PM
On another note. Marines seem to be very skilled in the use of NLP. I feel like there are a lot of Marines trying to speak into my subconscious. Has anyone ever heard of Darren Brown

Wyoming
03-15-11, 02:23 PM
This is one sick ****ing kid!!!

ammermda
03-15-11, 02:34 PM
... this is seriously the funniest thread I have read on here in a long time...

DrZ
03-15-11, 02:42 PM
... this is seriously the funniest thread I have read on here in a long time...

Agreed but I am going to give DEVIN the benefit of the doubt.

USNAviator
03-15-11, 03:11 PM
On another note. Marines seem to be very skilled in the use of NLP. I feel like there are a lot of Marines trying to speak into my subconscious. Has anyone ever heard of Darren Brown

Would you kindly elucidate on this subject? Why do you feel Marines are skilled at Neuro-linguistic programming?

DevinD
03-15-11, 03:45 PM
Would you kindly elucidate on this subject? Why do you feel Marines are skilled at Neuro-linguistic programming?

Well. I'm looking at all the replies and taking notice of everything that is either in BOLD font, or Capitalized. That's the "core" message behind whatever is being said. It's hard to explain. I would recommend you check out some videos on Derren Brown** He's a master of it. Basically, check these circumstances.

"Men, we don't want to die doing this, death is not the objective, we need to do everything we can do to avoid dying today"

versus

"Men, our objective is to live, if we stick to our plan, we all will live. Living is just as important as our mission"

In the first instance, Theoretically, (based on what NLP is all about) The only thing your men are thinking about... Is death. Death/die was used 3 times in that sentence. In the second sentence, its just the opposite. They're thinking about Life.

So when I say that Marines are skilled at NLP, I mean that either consciously, or unconsciously, they EMPHASIZE the key themes of their message... so its more understood by the target's Subconscious. It's kind of complicated. It's psychology. That's why whenever I'm trying to get a girls number, I don't say "hey... can I have your number?" I say, "hey... you're going to give me your number.. right?" theoretically the subconscious is understanding "give me your number", in the second instance. Try it sometime. I'm sure you all get the idea. If you think its all BS... I guess that's cool.. but there is some truth to it.

Look at most of the posts in this thread. Take notice of the things that are in Bold, or Capitalized. Imagine those things being said to you with emphasis on those words. Again it's hard to explain. It's kind of like the Jedi Mind trick but more practical. Weaker minded people fall for it far easier. Stronger willed people will just look at you like your stupid, or from another planet.

Please somebody tell me that THIS IS GETTING THROUGH.

NLP at work.

I've been able to stay awake all night... with just a Notebook and a pen... and like 2 beers. Just writing things to my subconscious. Things like "STAY AWAKE, NEVER SLEEP" I'll read that sentence I write. Absorb it in my mind, then systematically put an X through the words "Never" and "SLEEP". then I'll circle a word like "awake" and possibly underline it after that. You probably think I'm crazy. sigh.

Really though. Anyone interested just LOOK UP DARREN BROWN on youtube.

I'm just a Wannabe.

I'm just.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 04:17 PM
Good advice has been delivered by all parties here. Never heard of NLP. Nonetheless....

Devin, you've got some obstacles to overcome. In addition to having only a GED, now you've got this DUI thing. Needless to say (but I'm going to anyway), this does not make you a desireable candidate for enlistment into the Marine Corps. Now, take this for what it is worth and the way it's intended.....check into the Army. Seriously. You may be able to enlist quicker than with the Marine Corps. Since Jan of '12 is the earliest you can even *try* with 'us' (and no assurance of your waivers getting approved), the army might just be your best option at this time.

And, they may be the right 'fit' for you at the moment. After your army enlistment, should you still want to be a Marine...we'll still be here.

DevinD
03-15-11, 04:20 PM
Good advice has been delivered by all parties here. Never heard of NLP. Nonetheless....

Devin, you've got some obstacles to overcome. In addition to having only a GED, now you've got this DUI thing. Needless to say (but I'm going to anyway), this does not make you a desireable candidate for enlistment into the Marine Corps. Now, take this for what it is worth and the way it's intended.....check into the Army. Seriously. You may be able to enlist quicker than with the Marine Corps. Since Jan of '12 is the earliest you can even *try* with 'us' (and no assurance of your waivers getting approved), the army might just be your best option at this time.

And, they may be the right 'fit' for you at the moment. After your army enlistment, should you still want to be a Marine...we'll still be here.

Thanks sir, but no thanks. I wannabe a Marine. It's that, or I won't even join the service. If I'm going to risk my life for 4 years I want to do it with the Best of the Best.

I'll just keep heading toward the goal, and keep my eye on the big picture. Everything happens for a reason

Mongoose
03-15-11, 05:45 PM
If your serious about being a Marine, start using your common sense. Stay away from the wanna be heros, and 15 year old special forces instructors. Do what you know you have to do, and damn well do it. Your having a hard time with these Marines because your acting stupid. Quit listening to snot nosed kids and listen to experience. And one day you might, and I mean might, make a Marine.

USNAviator
03-15-11, 06:03 PM
If your serious about being a Marine, start using your common sense. Stay away from the wanna be heros, and 15 year old special forces instructors. Do what you know you have to do, and damn well do it. Your having a hard time with these Marines because your acting stupid. Quit listening to snot nosed kids and listen to experience. And one day you might, and I mean might, make a Marine.

Well said Billy. I hadn't realized Devin had a GED and a DUI. As Lep said there are far more qualified candidates who don't carry all the baggage

I understand your desire to want to serve with the best Devin and the Corps is the best. But what's more important to you, serving your country or satisfying Devin?

You have a lot of growing up to do and you would have done so in the Marines. Step back and get your priorities straight. Serving your country isn't about you it's about protecting those who can't or won't do so themselves

Give the Army some thought and good luck to you

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 06:10 PM
FYI, I did a hitch in the Army reserves (as an Infantry squad leader) after my active USMC tour, because there were no USMC reserve units nearby. Didn't kill me none LOL.

I also, after my last USMC active tour, re-enlisted into the Air Guard to finish my '20'. So don't get all "The CORPS IS THE ONLY THING I CAN DOOOO ARGLEBARGLEBARGLE"...because it's not. It's ONE choice..of many possibles. Realistically...you may not be qualified to enlist into the Marine Corps, as I said, but you MAY be qualified to enlist in the army. Closing off options because you are hardheaded/stubborn does a disservice to YOU in the long run. What if you wait the year and the Corps says "No, thanks, don't need ya". Then that year is gone forever. And you are still right where you are today, playing games in the woods with OTHER wannabees/neverwillbees.

Now, if that's what you want for yourself and can live with it, fine and dandy. If you want more...DO more.

Lisa 23
03-15-11, 07:20 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

DrZ
03-15-11, 07:59 PM
Devin,
You have received some excellent advice here. I suggest you read what Lep had to say a second time since I believe his was some of the best content here.

Call the recruiter and explain your entire situation and ask him/her how much effect your DUI will have on your potential to enlist. They will be able to give you the straight skinny here. If you are told your chances are low to none, then you have a decision that will affect you the rest of your life. That decision is simple. Do you want to protect and serve America in any way you can or not. The Marines were the choice of a large part of the members here but the Marines are not the only choice. The Army is the closest to the Marines as far as military decorum, the physical aspect, and in some ways the mission. The Navy, while not as physical nor military as the Marines... they are a well respected branch. The Sailors travel all over the world and assist the Marines in softening up the enemy when possible. The Air Force are the least physical but they have the best equipment, training, and bases. I will let you make your own determination concerning the Coast Guard. Service is something you either want to do or not. If you believe service is only with the Marines and you don't qualify, then so be it because you have made your decision.

I will throw in a final statement to you. The same statement I give to my son when he can't decide on something or attempts to beat a dead horse. Get your head out of your a$$...Come up with a plan and a contingency plan or two if needed.

No caps, no emphasis, no subliminal messages.... just the straight scoop.

Marine84
03-15-11, 08:40 PM
Well. I'm looking at all the replies and taking notice of everything that is either in BOLD font, or Capitalized. That's the "core" message behind whatever is being said. It's hard to explain. I would recommend you check out some videos on Derren Brown** He's a master of it. Basically, check these circumstances.

"Men, we don't want to die doing this, death is not the objective, we need to do everything we can do to avoid dying today"

versus

"Men, our objective is to live, if we stick to our plan, we all will live. Living is just as important as our mission"

In the first instance, Theoretically, (based on what NLP is all about) The only thing your men are thinking about... Is death. Death/die was used 3 times in that sentence. In the second sentence, its just the opposite. They're thinking about Life.

So when I say that Marines are skilled at NLP, I mean that either consciously, or unconsciously, they EMPHASIZE the key themes of their message... so its more understood by the target's Subconscious. It's kind of complicated. It's psychology. That's why whenever I'm trying to get a girls number, I don't say "hey... can I have your number?" I say, "hey... you're going to give me your number.. right?" theoretically the subconscious is understanding "give me your number", in the second instance. Try it sometime. I'm sure you all get the idea. If you think its all BS... I guess that's cool.. but there is some truth to it.

Look at most of the posts in this thread. Take notice of the things that are in Bold, or Capitalized. Imagine those things being said to you with emphasis on those words. Again it's hard to explain. It's kind of like the Jedi Mind trick but more practical. Weaker minded people fall for it far easier. Stronger willed people will just look at you like your stupid, or from another planet.

Please somebody tell me that THIS IS GETTING THROUGH.

NLP at work.

I've been able to stay awake all night... with just a Notebook and a pen... and like 2 beers. Just writing things to my subconscious. Things like "STAY AWAKE, NEVER SLEEP" I'll read that sentence I write. Absorb it in my mind, then systematically put an X through the words "Never" and "SLEEP". then I'll circle a word like "awake" and possibly underline it after that. You probably think I'm crazy. sigh.

Really though. Anyone interested just LOOK UP DARREN BROWN on youtube.

I'm just a Wannabe.

I'm just.

:confused: WHAT!?!?

You sound soooooo much like someone else that used to roam these halls.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 08:49 PM
"As the world turns, these are the days of our Achped"? LOL

USNAviator
03-15-11, 08:51 PM
:confused: WHAT!?!?

You sound soooooo much like someone else that used to roam these halls.

Care to clue us in???

Lisa 23
03-15-11, 09:10 PM
"As the world turns, these are the days of our Achped"? LOL

Well, all I can say is if this is someone else, like a Marine with nothing better to do, then a lot of us here, including myself, have wasted a lot of our time.
And I possibly made an a$$ out of myself going back and forth with PM's all day.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-15-11, 09:13 PM
LOL....I don't think it's a Marine. If it is I'll give him kudos for running it this long and sucking us all in.

josephd
03-15-11, 09:16 PM
Alright Devin, here is some advice from someone who is closer to your own age and not a "USMC Veteran"....yet.

If you really want to be a Marine, first off start listening to the advice that you asked for. If all you wanted was to talk about some fake war stories from someone else I am sure there is a forum for that. Second, if this is what you want then start living a straight and narrow life until the day you ship to boot camp. Meeting random people at pool halls, taking their word for gospel, and moving with them is the worst idea I have ever heard. Doing things like this only lead to one thing typically and that is trouble.

I understand your wanting to learn all these high speed tactics, weapons systems, explosives, etc...But trust me when I say that it is no where as easy as it seems or looks. Takes a LOT of body/mind discipline and is tiring beyond anything you could imagine, and is in no way glamorous. Get all this ricky recon stuff out of your head and focus on getting your own affairs straight so you can at least have the opportunity to earn the title that we all hold.

DevinD
03-16-11, 10:11 PM
Devin,
You have received some excellent advice here. I suggest you read what Lep had to say a second time since I believe his was some of the best content here.

Call the recruiter and explain your entire situation and ask him/her how much effect your DUI will have on your potential to enlist. They will be able to give you the straight skinny here. If you are told your chances are low to none, then you have a decision that will affect you the rest of your life. That decision is simple. Do you want to protect and serve America in any way you can or not. The Marines were the choice of a large part of the members here but the Marines are not the only choice. The Army is the closest to the Marines as far as military decorum, the physical aspect, and in some ways the mission. The Navy, while not as physical nor military as the Marines... they are a well respected branch. The Sailors travel all over the world and assist the Marines in softening up the enemy when possible. The Air Force are the least physical but they have the best equipment, training, and bases. I will let you make your own determination concerning the Coast Guard. Service is something you either want to do or not. If you believe service is only with the Marines and you don't qualify, then so be it because you have made your decision.

I will throw in a final statement to you. The same statement I give to my son when he can't decide on something or attempts to beat a dead horse. Get your head out of your a$$...Come up with a plan and a contingency plan or two if needed.

No caps, no emphasis, no subliminal messages.... just the straight scoop.

Thank you for the straight scoop. I understand how I appeared selfish in my last post. Saying that I wont serve my country unless I'm a Marine does make it seem like I'm in this just for me. I'm not though. I would strongly consider another branch if the unfortunate occours. To me, it's an extremely depressing thought to imagine not getting in... so I really try to keep it out of my mind at all times. I can't explain it... I just really want to be a Marine. I'm going to call Sgt. Brown tomorrow and clarifiy what he told me initially. In the meantime, I'm going to keep "playing games in the woods" it's fun, and it makes me feel like I'm working towards a goal. I've learned a little more about secret squirrel. From what I've deducted... I believe that he has ties to a "Blackwater Company" supposedly a group that employes mercernaries.. I don't know that for sure though. Maybe I should google them. He knew what Robin Sage was. I didn't have to ask. I just got him talking about SF and he started talking about it. He said that SF training lasts about 2 years and Robin Sage is pretty much the "show us what you've learned" part of the course. It used to last 6 weeks, but currently it's 3. He claims the reason it was shortened is because of a phase the army went through called "high morale". That's a different story though. He says Robin Sage, is a course where the SF recruits are taken to 1 of about 14 different counties in NC and dropped off in the middle of nowhere. They're responsible for setting up a base of operation, and specific objectives. He only described one scenario where theres a train with a car on it that's filled with weaponry. SF's have to ambush said car. There's an officer overseeing the whole scenario.. He called him something I cant remember perfectly... I dont want to guess what he said so I'll see if I hear it again another day. He pretty much gauges who's winning the skirmish. Anyways. I could go on more about it but I'm sure you get the idea.

I found out more about he got involved to begin with. Apparently someone in his family owned a paintball field in the area and the Army approached the owner seeing if they could use the space. He didn't give any real names yet. I haven't known him too long and I dont want to sound like a cop or something asking him tons of questions. I'll figure out the whole story eventually. Apparently he knows Aikido, we did some drills last night, basic things. They all seemed pretty effective. Leg kick to the outer quad is tons of fun. Wrist locks, headlock escape manuevers. Using an object with ridges to do different wrist locks with more control of the joint. Other more mental things, like trying to make it a habit of going through doorways with your hands up around your upper body. Ie. cracking your knuckles, I have a jacket that zips up and buttons under it, so I'll just have my hand grabbed around the flap that the space between the zipper and the buttons make. Idk. Caught something real interesting to me though.

He wanted me to describe the VP of my job to him. I got that part time job at the bar, as a barback. He's got a job pretty much watching the crowd, because I need him for transportation and the VP want me to work there. He asked me if he was Ex-Marine or something. I caught it and told him that theres no such thing as an Ex-Marine. He kind of gave a sarcastic look and pretty much insinuated that the idea of that is not Marine Corp-wide. He didn't say it in those words but I could tell what he meant.

Not sure when the Greensboro trip is going to happen. He actually said the name of this guy there. He's a Blackwater Operator according to him. First time I've heard him say the guys name. Work at this bar is going to get in the middle of that for a couple weekends.

I want to avoid the impression that I idolize the guy. There are very few that I see in that light. Honestly if you use the word idolize, there's nobody I can say that about, unless she's blonde cute face D cups with a backside for days. J's got knowledge that I find interesting that I want to learn. There's mutual respect there. I got him a job here in Matthews. I guess that's what I bring to the table. He's been looking for work since he got here.

I've got a contingency plan. Work towards a goal, work to earn $, work to get my school done, work on changing myself. The old me got myself into a lot of trouble. I'm done with that.

I believe that my head is far away from my A$$ right about now. I'm pretty focused on a lot of things. It's made me happier with life. It's so easy to stress when your mind's lost. I can see why I'm underestimated though. I'm just a wannabe, but honestly... I've got plans, on top of plans.. on top of plans, at this point. I asked for advise and I believe I've received all I can ask for.

I appreciate you Marines and your time. I've got work to do. I haven't worked out in 2 days.

DevinD
03-16-11, 10:23 PM
Alright Devin, here is some advice from someone who is closer to your own age and not a "USMC Veteran"....yet.

If you really want to be a Marine, first off start listening to the advice that you asked for. If all you wanted was to talk about some fake war stories from someone else I am sure there is a forum for that. Second, if this is what you want then start living a straight and narrow life until the day you ship to boot camp. Meeting random people at pool halls, taking their word for gospel, and moving with them is the worst idea I have ever heard. Doing things like this only lead to one thing typically and that is trouble.

I understand your wanting to learn all these high speed tactics, weapons systems, explosives, etc...But trust me when I say that it is no where as easy as it seems or looks. Takes a LOT of body/mind discipline and is tiring beyond anything you could imagine, and is in no way glamorous. Get all this ricky recon stuff out of your head and focus on getting your own affairs straight so you can at least have the opportunity to earn the title that we all hold.

Thanks for this post. Ricky Recon is out of my head. I'm getting my own affairs straight. I'm trying to keep my life balanced right now. I want this goal for something besides glamour. Wtf is glamour anyway.

Thats the point. It takes a LOT of body/mind discipline, and it's tiring beyond imagine. Seems like I could learn alot from all that discipline.

Appreciate the insight. I think I've gotten what I was looking for when I created this thread.

thewookie
03-16-11, 10:36 PM

Well said, Marine.

Wyoming
03-17-11, 11:04 AM
Jeez, this post, Jeez!!

What an ass!!

:sick:

McNumchuck
03-18-11, 11:10 AM
Devin: Did a guy showing you the basic defensive reaction to a rear naked choke make you think he was secret squirrel Ricky Ticky Recon Hi-Speed SEAL Team 6?

Go to an MMA gym for 5 minutes. C'mon.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 07:34 PM
Well, this one has run it's course. Lesson learned, dogpile accomplished, much wisdom imparted....

Now, only time will tell. Closed for the good of the order