PDA

View Full Version : Reserve distance questions

Gilchrist92
03-10-11, 03:00 PM
Hello Marines, my name is Doug and I'm 19. I'm going to be joining the reserves. I should be going back to MEPs within the next couple weeks to swear in to the DEP after some medical stuff clears. While talking to my recruiter the list of job billets open in the units in my area were not many or any that I was really interested in. These jobs were all in Harrisburg PA which is about 2 hours away from me(I'm right outside of Philly). Looking on the website that list the units in each state there are quite a few units in New Jersey that are much closer to me. Is it possible to join a reserve unit out of your home state or ones farther away? My recruiter didn't really know because he's only done one reservists prior to me. I told him how I remember reading on this websie that you can get a waiver for it. If anyone could shed some knowledge on this for me and the process it would be greatly apprciated. Thanks in advance

Blutic
03-10-11, 05:48 PM
You can join any reserve unit. However, you will need to meet with someone at the unit (1stSGT probably) before being accepted if you live more than 50 miles away.

Gilchrist92
03-10-11, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the response. How would I go about doing that or know what billets are open in a given unit?

Blutic
03-12-11, 06:18 PM
The local recruiter gets a limited number of slots each year for the surrounding reserve units. They can tell you what MOSs are available. They should also set up the meeting and take you to the reserve unit if necessary. Some units require it and some don't.

Wyoming
03-12-11, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the response, Sir. How would I go about doing that or know what billets are open in a given unit?

Fixed.

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 12:58 PM
Yes, my recruiter showed me the slots available but it was only for the one local unit around me and none that were out of state. He told me to try and find somewhere or show him some kind of link where it explains the regualtions regarding distance of the reserve unit and if they could be out of state. Wondering if anyone could steer me in that direction. Thank you for the response Sir and thank you for fixing my post Wyoming.

josephd
03-13-11, 01:17 PM
Yes, my recruiter showed me the slots available but it was only for the one local unit around me and none that were out of state. He told me to try and find somewhere or show him some kind of link where it explains the regualtions regarding distance of the reserve unit and if they could be out of state. Wondering if anyone could steer me in that direction. Thank you for the response Sir and thank you for fixing my post Wyoming.

That is his job to research and find the order on that, not yours.

I would understand it to be easier to contract you to a reserve unit closer to where you live even if it is out of state. If whatever unit that is in your state is farther than 50 miles away you rate billeting(lodging) when drilling, on mobilization, or on AT. This costs the Corps money. If you can get contracted to a unit closer (again even if out of state) then it is cheaper.

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 01:25 PM
Yes and the problem is it seems is that my RS only deals with the one unit in PA. While units in New Jersey are actually closer to me.

Lisa 23
03-13-11, 01:41 PM
Yes and the problem is it seems is that my RS only deals with the one unit in PA. While units in New Jersey are actually closer to me.

If you're talking about Marine Reserves at Willow Grove, they're moving to Ft Dix, and the move is just about completed. I know this because my nephew is a Marine Reservist at Willow Grove.

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 01:50 PM
Yes he told me about Willow Grove moving to Fort Dix. Im pretty sure all the bilets that he pulled up on the computer were all out of Harrisburg. Basically he said you have these MOS to choose from and that's it and it was very limited because he said this is the only unit in our area. I looked up on the Marine Reserve website the units in my area and there were many more than what he showed me and when I asked he said it had to be that unit. When I told him that I remember reading you can get get a waiver to travel to another farther unit or out of state he said he wasn't sure and to find him a link to something to show him.

Covey_Rider
03-13-11, 05:17 PM
What are you wanting to do?

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 05:34 PM
Preferably my number one choice would be 0861. Other than that 03xx 08xx military police or somethig along those lines

Covey_Rider
03-13-11, 06:41 PM
There may be a reserve unit in Baltimore MD that might have something that interests you. It's a little bit longer of a drive but I would personally make the drive to have a job that I enjoy.

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 08:13 PM
Yeah, driving distance and travel time is no issue at all for me.

josephd
03-13-11, 08:50 PM
Yeah, driving distance and travel time is no issue at all for me.

You say that now, you'll be singing a different tune when you have to be to your HTC at 0500 on Friday for drill weekend, then you have to drive home on Sunday evening when drill lets out at 2000, and you live 2-3 hours away.

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 09:15 PM
I hear what your saying but as of now I commutefrom philly to nyc everyday so im use to it.

josephd
03-13-11, 11:00 PM
Ok just understand that come Sunday evening after a long field drill weekend a long drive home is a bad idea, Marines getting into car accidents is one of the worst issues the reserves has right now.

Gilchrist92
03-13-11, 11:33 PM
I can totally understand the seriousness of the situation and will take it into full consideration when it comes down to making a final decision.

Gilchrist92
03-14-11, 12:09 PM
If anyone could steer me in a direction of a website or link regarding the regulations it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for all the responses so far Marines.