PDA

View Full Version : I MHG continues to belt Marines

thedrifter
10-11-03, 11:10 AM
I MHG continues to belt Marines
Submitted by: I Marine Expeditionary Force
Story Identification Number: 2003108162826
Story by Sgt. L.A. Salinas

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(Oct. 8, 2003) -- The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program has grown over the years. Like a toddler stumbling through first steps to kicking, punching and throwing each other around.

Although not a Marine Corps requirement, MCMAP is a popular program, said Sgt. Kevin M. Holiday, training non-commissioned officer, I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group.

"We try and run as many courses as possible," said the 25-year-old Detroit native.

The duties to mold these Devil Dogs into instructors, for the I Marine Expeditionary Force, fall on the shoulders of Sgt. Robert H. Foreman.

"The order states that there should be 10 students to every instructor but more Marines want to do this," said the chief instructor for I MEF Headquarters Group.

The 26-year-old teaches 15 students at a time and attributes this to the motivation and the confidence the course instills in them.

Other in the unit are interested in following Foreman's lead.

In the two years that Sgt. Jermaine I. Carson, assistant adjutant chief with MHG, has been involved with MCMAP, he has seen changes in the course.

As a green belt going for instructor status, Carson has taken on his first class of potential tan belt warriors. Closely monitored by the I MHG chief instructor, he focuses on staying with the prescribed techniques.

"You have different instructors out here teaching various ways (and) techniques," said the 31-year-old Detroit, Mich. native. "With MCMAP there is always something new to learn."

Many Marines bring experiences from other Martial Arts and boxing techniques.

"I think its great, they should never fear supplementary training," said Foreman. "It helps that much more, I encourage it."

Carson has aspirations of becoming a black belt instructor and said he believes every sergeant should be at least a green belt.

"He's leading his Marines," said Carson. "He's the one on the spot."

Foreman also encourages his instructors to "mix it up" and physically interact with their respective classes, saying that it can show that they're not there just to boss them around.

"If a student sees me go in as an instructor, it builds their confidence," he said.

For Marines that aim to pass this knowledge down, they need to not only posses' good leadership skills but also have the right mindset, heart and drive, said Foreman. The first step to accomplishing this goal is the choice to do it.

"A good leader makes a decision," said Foreman. "They don't just stand there and let the moment pass them by."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200310817115/$file/Kick1LR.jpg

Staff Sgt. Jessie A. Retan, 36, adjutant chief with I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group, practices his kicks during Marine Corps Martial Arts Program training at Camp Del Mar, Camp Pendleton, Calif., September 22.
Photo by: Official Marine Corps photo by Sgt. L.A. Salinas

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/7B1E97BCC08C1EA085256DB9007077B3?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: