PDA

View Full Version : Father of a United States Marine takes on American Idol

SemperFiParent
03-10-11, 11:20 AM
Last night's episode of American Idol had a performance that this dad of a Devil Dog has a real problem with:

http://rightwingwizkid.blogspot.com/2011/03/american-idol-contestant-paul-mcdonald.html

MarshRunner
03-10-11, 11:31 AM
I saw the same thing and it totaly pizzzed me off. :mad:

SemperFiParent
03-10-11, 11:58 AM
I saw the same thing and it totaly pizzzed me off. :mad:

It was all I could do to keep from drop kicking the TV

MarshRunner
03-10-11, 12:07 PM
11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM
1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless other-wise authorized by law, except a member of the Marine Corps may wear the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform of which is similar to a distinctive part of the Marine Corps uniform.
2. According to 18 U.S.C. 702, whoever, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States or in the Canal Zone, without authority wears the Marine Corps uniform will be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Sgt Jim
03-10-11, 12:08 PM
Saw the same thing last night,lowest form of earth life!!

Pinstriper
03-10-11, 12:33 PM
I don't watch the show, but have listened to it when you could pick up TV stations on the radio.

I am not a Marine, but the Dad of one and I fully understand the Respect, Code and Honor associated with the Corps. Someone should have addressed this before he was allowed on stage, but I do not believe many in the industry there have ever had a clue of what the representation would mean. Do not get me wrong I'm not defending him or the show...I just see it as another reason to dislike Hollywood.

I do hope someone pushes for 10 U.S.C. 771, and 18 U.S.C. 702 and enforces it.

Preacher
03-10-11, 12:54 PM
I couldn't open your blogspot, but if you're talking about the performance with the guy wearing a dress blues jacket, I was pi$$ed too.

Tennessee Top
03-10-11, 01:00 PM
Normally, I don't give a rat's azz what entertainers do, wear, or say. Hollyweird is part of our culture whether we like it or not. And, they have a right to express themselves just like we do in our own way.

But, instances like this and, some pop diva butchering our national anthem, just REALLY pizz me off! Nobody has the right to wear my uniform unless they have earned the title just like I did.

I never waste my time on that show and for sure will never watch it now but hope this loser gets voted off ASAP.

Old Marine
03-10-11, 01:02 PM
What made you think it was a knock off Dress Blue Coat. Looked like the real thing to me. No EGA's, no chevrons or anything to say it was actually the real thing. People have been doing this for years, and as long as they are available to the public they will continue to do it.

I notice these worms in movies wearing uniforms with rank insignia and the EGA and they didn't earn any of it and most look like a soup sandwich. I do not know what the remedy for this is. I would say that most people in the USA, could care less what these worms are wearing. I'm really supprised that Charlie Sheen doesn't parade around LA in one.

I personally am not going to have a heart attack over it, because I realize they are azz holes.

SemperFiParent
03-10-11, 01:06 PM
Normally, I don't give a rat's azz what entertainers do, wear, or say. Hollyweird is part of our culture whether we like it or not. And, they have a right to express themselves just like we do in our own way.

But, instances like this and, some pop diva butchering our national anthem, just REALLY pizz me off! Nobody has the right to wear my uniform unless they have earned the title just like I did.

I never waste my time on that show and for sure will never watch it now but hope this loser gets voted off ASAP.

Amen Top

I'm not a fan (the wife is) but that's my whole purpose, to see this bottom-feeder lose.

Rocky C
03-10-11, 01:09 PM
Missed Idol last night.
Watched Survivor Instead.
Now I'm glad I did miss it.
I would hate to throw the remote through my 50 inch Flat Screen.... AGAIN......

maspotente2
03-10-11, 02:38 PM
I totally agree with Top but it still ****es me off!

advanced
03-10-11, 04:37 PM
Look, with DADT repealed, a deer leader in the white house, woman in the grunts, unions taking over state houses in the name of "The People", and no respect for anything anywhere I think it's kinda cool. Hell, everyone always says they like the uniform.

He ain't wearin no high and tight, nobody is going to believe he's trying to be a Marine. I take it as a complement. After all, not everyone can be a Marine.

Besides, he's not wearing the EGA, badges, chevrons, blood stripe etc. Calm down everyone. You can buy any of our uniform parts in any army surplus in the country.

Old Marine
03-10-11, 05:47 PM
Reminded me of Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club.

josephd
03-10-11, 07:25 PM
It bothers me just as much as the next guy/Marine, but if you are really that upset and want to do something about you should contact the producers of American Idol and/or the Fox network. I can almost guarantee this singer did not make the decision to wear the coat. I am sure some dress coordinator that works for the program picked it out. With Fox being a pretty (when i say pretty i mean very) conservative network I would imagine if something was said to them some sort of action may be taken to knock that kind of $hit off.

Chad Leddy
03-10-11, 07:41 PM
Everyone seems like this guy went on tv wearing a marine uniform then took it off and trashed it. The jacket was very clearly a dress blues inspired jacket. If you think the cut of his jacket is the same as our uniform, you need to go in your closet and pull it out and check again. Thats like saying Barack Obama doesn't rate wearing a USMC shirt in that photo of him playing basketball because he didn't go to PI.

Also, the thing about "worms" wearing uniforms in movies even though they were never Marines is ridiculous. It's a movie, I guess Will Smith would really have to be part of a secret organization that deals with alien life forms before he could star in MIB.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 11:15 PM
I've got more issue with Obumah wearing a "USMC" t shirt than I have with this guy wearing a stripped down, what LOOKS like a Dress blue blouse.

As a long time military collector and historian, as well as working with, and who, I work for nowadays (the US Marine Corps Historical Company), I can tell you right up front, there are a large number of 'lookalike' blouses and jackets. I personally OWN a jacket that if you saw it, you would SWEAR it was a USMC dress blue blouse. Except...it's not. Very similar but NOT Marine Corps, was made for a band (non military, non USMC) sometime in the very late (1956) 50's.

I would have an issue with this whole thing if he was wearing EGA's, medals, ribbons, etc.

He's not. Lets all take a breath, and focus on something that, in the great scheme of things, matters far more than this goob.

Silentwarrior17
03-10-11, 11:38 PM
I would have an issue with this whole thing if he was wearing EGA's, medals, ribbons, etc.

He's not. Lets all take a breath, and focus on something that, in the great scheme of things, matters far more than this goob.

I get what you are saying, but come on...If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck...you get my drift. Everyone and anyone who looks at these things knows flat out what it looks like. It doesn't matter who or what it was made for. Now I'm not as up in arms as a lot of people because like you, it didn't have the EGA's or any military ref to it and I understand that. But to me, and I say to ME, I don't like it.

Earlier it was mentioned about movies...it's MOVIES folks...MOVIES! Are you telling me you wouldn't watch Gunny Highway just because Clint was never a Marine (actually an Army bubba)? Come on now, I'm pretty sure Clint was a bunch of our recruiters weither we want to admit it or not

Borknagar
03-18-11, 01:18 AM
This isn't the first time our uniform was either misused or disrespected..... Them idiots probably are not aware of what they did (not), but either way, he doesn't rate, so, I dislike. :) I mean, out of all of the crap he could wear, this they found...

On the other hand, I would agree w/ Sgt Leprechaun, on the note of not getting too upset over it...

Liberals... I guess they do what they want? I guess we wear what we want?

Hmm...

TJR1070
03-18-11, 07:18 AM
He still needs to be throat punched!

Gunz
03-18-11, 08:41 AM
He still needs to be throat punched!

Awesome! :thumbup:

SemperFiParent
03-18-11, 08:47 AM
This isn't the first time our uniform was either misused or disrespected..... Them idiots probably are not aware of what they did (not), but either way, he doesn't rate, so, I dislike. :) I mean, out of all of the crap he could wear, this they found...

On the other hand, I would agree w/ Sgt Leprechaun, on the note of not getting too upset over it...

Liberals... I guess they do what they want? I guess we wear what we want?

Hmm...

Most of the feedback I'm getting through my blog tells me I'm making too much out of this.

Still pizzes me off.

advanced
03-18-11, 09:38 AM
Most of the feedback I'm getting through my blog tells me I'm making too much out of this.

Still pizzes me off.

We know that you are proud of your daughter. The uniform is not a Marine, honor your daughter and other Marines instead. There are many other issues that are much more important.

By the way, that was a very nice apology you received from the family member, I would suggest that you consider accepting it in the manner it was given. S/F to your daughter and I hope she stays out of harms way.

YourPhoneIsMine
03-23-11, 02:09 PM
11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM
1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless other-wise authorized by law, except a member of the Marine Corps may wear the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform of which is similar to a distinctive part of the Marine Corps uniform.
2. According to 18 U.S.C. 702, whoever, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States or in the Canal Zone, without authority wears the Marine Corps uniform will be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

There are exceptions to that in the following section including

(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force.

SCOTUS has also struck the part about it not discrediting the armed forces as unconstitutional so there's nothing stopping hollywood from portraying members of the military committing crimes (hello NCIS).

Basically it's no more illegal than dressing your kid up as a Marine for halloween. The code is enforced about as often as the one that would technically prohibit the post office from printing stamps with the US flag on it.