PDA

View Full Version : Vetting Process

Covey_Rider
03-08-11, 10:19 PM
I think that we need one. Another forum that I am a member of has the vetting process and I think it's an outstanding idea. With the amount of posers out there, it's all too easy to come onto a site like this and create a fake profile.

devilbones2
03-09-11, 07:58 PM
I second that.

thewookie
03-09-11, 10:18 PM
Been asking for it for years,, good luck.

Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechaun
03-09-11, 11:15 PM
How? How do we accomplish it? Plus, we also have wannabees/friends etc...so how do we do the vetting while still allowing them to come in and do this as well?

I'm open to suggestions and not shooting down the idea...but this has to be 'workable' for everyone as well as 'user friendly'.

Covey_Rider
03-10-11, 01:41 AM
The way it is done at the other site is that there was an assigned person that was in charge of vetting all newcomers who joined the site, if they wanted to be vetted. Those individuals that chose...

DanM
03-10-11, 01:51 AM
DD214's can be uploaded from the internet and made to say anything.A"scan" of a military I.D. is just as easy,15 minutes or less with photo shop and it would look as real as any authentic scans of an I.D.

Covey_Rider
03-10-11, 01:56 AM
Different methods are open for suggestion. That's just how they did it.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 02:06 AM
That's why the DD214 idea would have to be done by someone with knowledge and experience to know what they are looking at. For example, it would be impossible for a 19 year old LCpl today to be wearing an Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, or a Korean Campaign medal. It would also be impossible for a LCpl (or anyone else) to have a "Silver Star w/V for Valor".

advanced
03-10-11, 02:21 AM
Helll, we can't even get people to fill out their profile - I'd settle for that.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 02:26 AM
I agree. And I'm fast reaching the point of making it so all new members do, in fact, have to be 'vetted' prior to approval. The downside of that is, of course, with the mods pretty much being 'just me', it would mean I couldn't take the breaks I do now. And I don't know if I'm up for that, truth be told.

devilbones2
03-10-11, 04:30 AM
I too am a member on another site that you must be vetted. Anyone that is vetted might have a bit more credibility than somebody who isnt. Poolees, and family members would still be allowed access however they wouldnt have the 'vetted' tag. I would also include a thread or sub-forum for mandatory intros that way we know who you are if you are non-military, and where you have been if you are.

AAV Crewchief
03-10-11, 07:05 AM
Oh yeah, throwing around scanned DD214s into cyberspace is real good especially with all the sensitive data on them that can be used for identity theft. No thanks! Won't get mine I promise.

USNAviator
03-10-11, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure how that would work but I was a member of the Tail Hook site. While there isn't a vetting process they do charge a fee before you can even see a thread. I believe it's $45/year <br />
<br />
By...

thewookie
03-10-11, 07:34 AM
Oh yeah, throwing around scanned DD214s into cyberspace is real good especially with all the sensitive data on them that can be used for identity theft. No thanks! Won't get mine I promise.

The real personal info can be blacked out.

I think it raises the level of conversation when you can vet people. No more of this BS by the usual characters.

And, sure people can and will "doctor" information but at least you are stopping 90% of the clowns from putting on a show.

I, too, am a member where Covey is talking about and I had no qualms about submitting my dd214, cause I don't have anything to hide.

It can be done.

AAV Crewchief
03-10-11, 08:18 AM
The real personal info can be blacked out.

I think it raises the level of conversation when you can vet people. No more of this BS by the usual characters.

And, sure people can and will "doctor" information but at least you are stopping 90% of the clowns from putting on a show.

I, too, am a member where Covey is talking about and I had no qualms about submitting my dd214, cause I don't have anything to hide.

It can be done.

The GOVERNMENT cannot even protect personal information. Just read the papers about FOUO info being lost, stolen or even misplaced each year. No thanks. Yeah, I have so much to hide.:thumbdown If and when that becomes mandatory here, I'll be gone.

DocGreek
03-10-11, 08:22 AM
.....My DD214, and my DD215, are displayed in my photo album. Have a look and tell me if I've done the wrong thing.....PLEASE!

thewookie
03-10-11, 08:36 AM
I'll be gone.

I'm sure the site will be okay if you go. :p

I'm not expecting it to happen, like I said, I've been asking for it for years.

Covey_Rider
03-10-11, 09:50 AM
The only sensitive information on a DD214 is your SSN. Not too difficult to black that out.

Wookie-glad to see you're still alive and kicking!

thewookie
03-10-11, 10:09 AM
The only sensitive information on a DD214 is your SSN. Not too difficult to black that out.

Wookie-glad to see you're still alive and kicking!

You don't even need a scanner. A few years ago when I sent mine in, I used a crummy old cellphone, not a smart phone, to take a picture of my dd214 and sent it off. I did black out some other info, next of kin, and such. But you are right there isn't too much personal info that can't be easily blackened out.

I've been down in Florida catching some spring games.

Life is tough.

Good to see you, too -- stay safe, Bro.

chulaivet1966
03-10-11, 10:19 AM
Hmmmm....the vetting process....
I haven't posted in a while so I'll chime in.

I'm a member of another USMC site that many here may patronize also and did a one year paid subscription which is now just expired.
I filled out my profile and voluntarily sent them a scan of my DD214 because I did not want to leave any doubt about my service.
I see BS on both sites and that is to be expected...it's the internet and people can hide behind ghost identities for reasons of self exaltation and boasting.
Yes..lots of extra work for the volunteer mods so that is a site hosting decision that requires some thought and dedication to the process.
And no...I don't have any better ideas than what has already been discussed here.

I lurk here and the other site daily in case I see someone I've served with, was on Ops with during my era or can actually contribute to a given thread.
We all come here to interact for different reasons.
Honestly, I don't post much on either site for a few very specific reasons.

Carry on...

USNAviator
03-10-11, 10:50 AM
How? How do we accomplish it? Plus, we also have wannabees/friends etc...so how do we do the vetting while still allowing them to come in and do this as well?

I'm open to suggestions and not shooting down the idea...but this has to be 'workable' for everyone as well as 'user friendly'.

The only other suggestion I have is that if you want to view or post in the Marine Only section, you should prove you're a Marine

I was granted the privilege to post in there for which I am grateful but I'd be willing to forgo that privilege because I'm not a Marine

So if you make the Marine Only section just that, it will leave the other public areas open. And if you're a Marine and want to log on as one and don't wish to participate in the private section, you can forgo the vetting process

Just my 2 cents

AAV Crewchief
03-10-11, 11:24 AM
The only other suggestion I have is that if you want to view or post in the Marine Only section, you should prove you're a Marine

I was granted the privilege to post in there for which I am grateful but I'd be willing to forgo that privilege because I'm not a Marine

So if you make the Marine Only section just that, it will leave the other public areas open. And if you're a Marine and want to log on as one and don't wish to participate in the private section, you can forgo the vetting process

Just my 2 cents

Diverse and educated opinions from people like you help others see some of the faults with their thought processes. I don't believe that gentlemen such as yourself should ever be excluded from participation here regardless of you being a swabbie at heart. :)

USNAviator
03-10-11, 11:35 AM
Diverse and educated opinions from people like you help others see some of the faults with their thought processes. I don't believe that gentlemen such as yourself should ever be excluded from participation here regardless of you being a swabbie at heart. :)

Thank you for the kind words :thumbup:

devilbones2
03-10-11, 11:46 AM

DD214 or records or military service can be obtained via FOIA anyway. Just black out your SSN. The people doing the vetting will be Mods and delete that right after anyway.

advanced
03-10-11, 11:58 AM

Just my 2 cents

Very good suggestions.

By the way, we're still watching you so do not become too complacent.

USNAviator
03-10-11, 12:21 PM
Very good suggestions.

By the way, we're still watching you so do not become too complacent.

LOL..never going to happen Russ. Some one has to speak up for the Squids :banana:

Covey_Rider
03-10-11, 01:00 PM

Just my 2 cents
I completely agree with this post. However I think that service members who decide to go through a vetting process should have access to the Marines Only section, especially if they have served alongside the Marine Corps.

As stated before this would be a lot of extra work for mods. I know I would be more than willing to help where I can, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

AAV Crewchief
03-10-11, 01:01 PM
DD214 or records or military service can be obtained via FOIA anyway. Just black out your SSN. The people doing the vetting will be Mods and delete that right after anyway.

If that is the case, then the powers that be only need my name and can go get it themselves.

AAV Crewchief
03-10-11, 01:05 PM
I'm sure the site will be okay if you go. :p

Back at ya!!!:bunny:

Old Marine
03-10-11, 01:09 PM
.....My DD214, and my DD215, are displayed in my photo album. Have a look and tell me if I've done the wrong thing.....PLEASE!

Come on Doc. The Navy didn't have DD214's when you got out, did they?;)

advanced
03-10-11, 02:06 PM
What's a dd214, I wonder if I have one?

AAV Crewchief
03-10-11, 02:13 PM
Come on Doc. The Navy didn't have DD214's when you got out, did they?;)
Yes they did, it was carved on stone tablet like the Ten Commandments!!!

DocGreek
03-10-11, 05:29 PM
:D.....HERE, you've just been "VETTED"!!...9049......:D

Old Marine
03-10-11, 06:11 PM
Doc: Don't rock the boat, please. Suggest you put the top up on your vetted. Might rain.

USNAviator
03-10-11, 06:19 PM
:D.....HERE, you've just been "VETTED"!!...9049......:D

Nice ride Doc, you parked outside of Hooters??:D

tripledog
03-10-11, 07:45 PM
You do a vetting and you will lose half or more of the posters.

thewookie
03-10-11, 08:08 PM
You do a vetting and you will lose half or more of the posters.

That could be good.

Rooger
03-10-11, 08:16 PM
That could be good.

And It Could Be Bad.

thewookie
03-10-11, 09:28 PM
And It Could Be Bad.

Yes, it could, but over the years I've seen so much turnover of folks on this site that I don't think it will be that bad, or kill the site. Folks come and go for many reasons. I'm not saying anyone should leave or be forced to leave over this: I just think it is a reasonable option to deal with the biggest problem this site has. But, I'm not holding my breath to see it happen. And, I'll still be here one way or another.

I would just prefer to know that the Marine I am talking to is the Marine I am talking to.

Semper Fi

DocGreek
03-10-11, 10:48 PM
:D......I also "vetted" da bed.....ONCE!!
TWS, and The Squadbay, do their own "types" of vetting. What other sites do vetting?......:p

Covey_Rider
03-10-11, 11:15 PM
Yes, it could, but over the years I've seen so much turnover of folks on this site that I don't think it will be that bad, or kill the site. Folks come and go for many reasons. I'm not saying anyone should leave or be forced to leave over this: I just think it is a reasonable option to deal with the biggest problem this site has. But, I'm not holding my breath to see it happen. And, I'll still be here one way or another.

I would just prefer to know that the Marine I am talking to is the Marine I am talking to.

Semper Fi

I agree here.

I agree that some people on this board will stop posting, however I don't think that it'd be half. Would it REALLY be that big of a deal to take a couple of minutes out of your day to be vetted on here? Is it really an issue to get butt hurt about? As far as I'm concerned, those who do not wish to get vetted are most likely hiding something. To them (if this should happen) I will say farewell. I have no doubt in my mind that there are posers posting all over this site claiming that they are Marines. I think it's due time for a shake down.

On a side note for Wookie...Enjoy Florida for me, I've been country hopping around the middle east. Getting ready to go back into Afghanistan after a little R&R in Dubai. Just got picked up with a new company. We'll see how it goes.

thewookie
03-11-11, 02:12 AM
On a side note for Wookie...Enjoy Florida for me, I've been country hopping around the middle east. Getting ready to go back into Afghanistan after a little R&R in Dubai. Just got picked up with a new company. We'll see how it goes.

Not to hijack, but sleeping in the airport tonight, always been a bucket list item of mine, haha. Waited to board the plane for 4 hours, then boarded and sat on the plane for an hour, then told the flight was cancelled and we de-boarded, and then waited in line for another hour or so to get boarding passes for 7am flight so we can try again...... priceless.

Jet Blue show us the money.......:mad:

Hey Covey, if it doesn't work out with the new company let me know,, I have plenty of good connections for work in Afghanistan.

Covey_Rider
03-11-11, 04:24 AM
Not to hijack, but sleeping in the airport tonight, always been a bucket list item of mine, haha. Waited to board the plane for 4 hours, then boarded and sat on the plane for an hour, then told the flight was cancelled and we de-boarded, and then waited in line for another hour or so to get boarding passes for 7am flight so we can try again...... priceless.

Jet Blue show us the money.......:mad:

Hey Covey, if it doesn't work out with the new company let me know,, I have plenty of good connections for work in Afghanistan.

PM inbound so that the thread is not high jacked.

Quinbo
03-12-11, 01:11 AM
Occasionally I have some free time. Give me a list of suspect members either here or on private and I'll see what I can do.

Covey_Rider
03-12-11, 01:25 AM
Occasionally I have some free time. Give me a list of suspect members either here or on private and I'll see what I can do.

I don't quite remember who had raised flags in my mind before. I'll have to wait for them to surface again. I just know that there have been suspicions about individuals since I joined this site almost 5 years ago.

SlingerDun
03-12-11, 01:09 PM
vetted no thanks, i just took a spavin ex-calfhorse to have it vetted last month and the doc manipulated his legs into positions that i swear brought micro tears rolling from his *eye. no thanks

*the right one was knocked out in a trailering wreck

montana
03-12-11, 01:30 PM
ta go along with that slinger...my dog got vetted and lost hims nuts ...no thanks

SlingerDun
03-12-11, 01:49 PM
:scared: