PDA

View Full Version : Having a discusison, seeking input

wsky9er
03-08-11, 05:47 PM
Having a discussion with a friend. Found some military tradition-lore that states, when a burial flag is raised from a casket and folded during a military funeral the spirit of the deceased goes up into the flag. If the flag is ever unfurled or unfolded the spirit of the deceased is released. If this is the case should a burial flag ever be unfolded and flown. I m leaning towards saying no. I know some cemetaries have an avenue of flags from deceased veterans tho. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I know this may sound deep, but just curious

m14ed
03-08-11, 06:43 PM
after reading your post , i got to thinking about a story called "OUR TOWN" written by "Thornton Wilder".. where a dead soul looks back on her life (Emily i think her name is ) and finds the folly of trying to maintain a presence with the living with thought.

the way you are arguing is the sprit of the person is enchained into the object you revere now as a flag. would in a way condem the sprit to imprisonment untill the Demise of the object/the flag. dont think i would want to go through eternity imprisoned for a long time any object.

BUT , haveing been forwarned of that possibility that someone would drape my bier with old glory and fold it crisply... I'll maintain the attitude , my sprit can be as nimble as a fart sneaking out a pair of silk skivies .

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME= SEMPER GUMBY

USNAviator
03-08-11, 06:52 PM
Having a discussion with a friend. Found some military tradition-lore that states, when a burial flag is raised from a casket and folded during a military funeral the spirit of the deceased goes up into the flag. If the flag is ever unfurled or unfolded the spirit of the deceased is released. If this is the case should a burial flag ever be unfolded and flown. I m leaning towards saying no. I know some cemetaries have an avenue of flags from deceased veterans tho. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I know this may sound deep, but just curious

I have my Dad's, bought a flag box for it. It's on my bookcase in my office at home. I would never think to fly it. It was the last thing to touch his casket