PDA

View Full Version : a couple of things about Marine Corps lingo

holey336
03-08-11, 03:31 PM
just wanted to throw this out there and see how a few Marines and poolees felt about this sort of thing. the other day i was watching thats 70's show, and durring a scene where they were talking about the guys standng united against the girls one of them said semper fi, it was pretty bad that they were all high at the time, but i feel like he used it to show their solidarity and being united and faithful to their cause, but dont think it should have been siad consdering they arent marines. the second issue is durring my office's last dep meeting, after our run, we go back to the office in formation and while waiting to be released. the leading sergeant said "when i say dismissed you will yell oo rah!, turn and walk back inside. this threw me off, i didnt want to say it because i felt like i havent earned the right to do so yet, but didnt want to disobey. so i lip synced the words to appease my sgt wthout actually yelling it out, any thoughts on that one?

DudefromDiego
03-08-11, 04:17 PM
Just saying, you ALWAYS capitalize Marine. It's a proper noun. Better me telling you than Sgt. Leprechaun.... as for you saying the "S" word or the "O" word, I guess you can say it since you have his blessing. Just don't say it here or elsewhere. I never say it, unless specifically requested (for example, during cadences, or when doing something that would make it more awesome like lifting up a log).

Tbrown10
03-08-11, 07:05 PM
I agree 110% i never wouldve said it. Oorah, and Semper Fi are reserved for Marines that have earned the title, and thats all there is to it.

holey336
03-08-11, 07:24 PM
sorry i missed that, i know to always capitilize but i was rushing before i had to go out. i felt the same way. although i wouldnt yell it to make something more awesome, lol. but i know what you mean, when we're doing stuff like that they make us yell out Marine Corps!!! helps the intensity

DudefromDiego
03-08-11, 08:24 PM
Lol, when I meant more awesome, I didn't mean it like "oh yeah, I just benched 1000 lbs." I was referring to when during our PlayTime functions, we would do something like lift logs and they would tell us "give me an Oohrah, and I want it loud!" for example. If we say the "s" or the "o" word without EXPLICIT permission... stand by. It's about to get ugly....:no:

sparkie
03-08-11, 08:54 PM
I won't make it ugly for you kids. You have shown respect,,,,,,, And my respect cause of it. You wannabees aren't my brothers, but I respect your desire. I was there once myself.

Here's the kicker,,,,, I say Semper Fi to ya. Keep kicken,,,,,,,,,, [cause I can].

PooleeGewarges
03-09-11, 05:22 AM
I won't make it ugly for you kids. You have shown respect,,,,,,, And my respect cause of it. You wannabees aren't my brothers, but I respect your desire. I was there once myself.

Here's the kicker,,,,, I say Semper Fi to ya. Keep kicken,,,,,,,,,, [cause I can].

Thank you sir!

We actually had a problem yesterday, this might be off topic. A poolee brought in an Army hiking pack, no MARPAT. One of my recruiters made hhim fill the bag with rocks until it get super heavy, and put it on him. It took two people to lift the bag, then the Marine recruiter single handedly picked it up and put it on his back and demostrated to us a hump. He was ABOUT to make that poolee run 1.5 miles with it, but that would of killed him.

Lesson: No army **** in a Marine Corps Recruiting Station. :flag::usmc:

sparkie
03-09-11, 06:10 PM
Killed him? Doubt. Made him stronger, of that I am sure. I never did figure out you kids reliance on 'motovation'. You do what is set before you. I don't know that as being a problem. I would have dumped some rocks around the bend. And if I couldn't , I woulda carried on. Improvise, adapt, overcome.....

Nerd
03-09-11, 11:13 PM
At my pool, the recruiters encourage us to say Oorah and Semper Fi. They say it keeps us motivated, and they consider the DEP the first step into the brotherhood. Not Devil Dogs, but devil pups. That's what they call us at least.

Only say Oorah during a cadence, or when we're PTing and we're yelling it out. Like when we did "take the hill" over the summer. Running up hills, shouting it out like a war cry.

But I don't say it on this website because it's against the rules

DudefromDiego
03-10-11, 12:06 AM
This. <br />
<br />
This was what I was referring to. When we would charge to the top of the canyon, or do cadences through Balboa Park, that was the only time we ever used it. And about the Army kid... LULZ.

PooleeGewarges
03-10-11, 11:33 AM
Killed him? Doubt. Made him stronger, of that I am sure. I never did figure out you kids reliance on 'motovation'. You do what is set before you. I don't know that as being a problem. I would have dumped some rocks around the bend. And if I couldn't , I woulda carried on. Improvise, adapt, overcome.....

This poolee meant the "stronger" part sir. I absolutely agree with you sir.

USMC Infantry
03-10-11, 11:58 AM
I wish I knew who the hippie writer for that show was so I could ***** slap him.. As for the actor who said that line I would ***** slap him too just for emphasis

Vise
03-10-11, 12:36 PM
This site is the only place where you shouldn't say Semper Fi or Oorah if you're not a Marine. I've never met a Marine in person who had a problem with a poolee saying it. That is a rule for this site, remember that.

Barnett20110425
03-10-11, 01:45 PM
Gotta love us Motard Poolees lol...
I can't say much about it because I have a strong urge to say the "O" word when
I have completed a difficult task.

Motard Poolees turn into Motard Boots. That's when the real fun begins.
(Or so I've heard, I'll just have to find out later)

holey336
03-10-11, 04:14 PM
I wish I knew who the hippie writer for that show was so I could ***** slap him.. As for the actor who said that line I would ***** slap him too just for emphasis
ashton kutcher said it which makes it a lot worse