PDA

View Full Version : Camp Pendleton sees first-hand war objection

thedrifter
10-11-03, 06:53 AM
Camp Pendleton sees first-hand war objection
Submitted by: I Marine Expeditionary Force
Story Identification Number: 20031010163228
Story by Pfc. J.C. Guibord

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(October 9, 2003) -- In contrast to mobs of Iraqi's waving and welcoming American service members into their towns, a crowd with a different view stood outside Camp Pendleton recently.

The North County Coalition for Peace and Justice, along with veterans and other organizations, protested at the front gate of Camp Pendleton, Calif. Sept 27, 2003.

"The purpose of the demonstration was to say we support our young men and women," said Dr. Shelli Halliday, psychotherapist and coordinator for North County Coalition for Peace. "We want them out of Iraq. We want our people home."

The group expressed concern for the welfare of Marines and soldiers deployed to Iraq.

"I am concerned about the mental state of soldiers who are going in and out of Iraq," said Halliday.

The protesters were small in number and not hostile, but got the attention of Marines who were driving past the front gate. Marines driving past the demonstration were cursing the protesters. The gestures and comments rolled smoothly off the shoulders of the protesters.

The military police on base are trained to handle instances of civil disturbances if a protest were to ever get out of control

"There is no real contingency for protests," said Master Sgt. Anthony D. Hurst, Provost Marshals Office operations chief. "We find out their intent, and if there are more than 20 people, we put a couple more Marines by the gate to direct traffic."

In the past, it's been a rarity for a protest to occur around Camp Pendleton.

"There has been only three protests in the past 18 months," said Hurst.

The NCCPJ plans on demonstrating at Camp Pendleton once a month, according to Halliday.

For Marines and their dependants, protests such as these can be viewed very offensively at first glance.

"When I first drove up, I thought they were protesting our (the Marine Corps') presence," said Jessica Becherini, the wife of a staff sergeant who recently returned from OIF.

Becherini pulled over to ask the protesters about their intentions. According to her, they said they were protesting the idea that administrators without military experience were making decisions for service members to fight and die.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031010165839/$file/PROTEST3LR.jpg

An anti-war protestor's sign rests below a makeshift memorial outside of the Camp Pendleton, Calif. main gate Sept. 27, 2003. Members of the North County Coalition for Peace and Justice protested against Operation Iraqi Freedom, but said they supported the troops.
Photo by: Sgt. L.A. Salinas

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/14E09531ABF2B69C85256DBB0070D5F3?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: