PDA

View Full Version : MARSOC won't be called Raiders

USNAviator
03-07-11, 07:10 PM
We have a Raider Marine aboard. Mr Ray Merrell, I think your opinion about this would appreciated sir

Corps won’t rename MARSOC for WWII Raiders

<input id="url" value="http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-marsoc-raiders-rename-030711w/" type="hidden">Commandant Gen. Jim Amos denied a proposal from Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command to resurrect the World War II “Marine Raiders” moniker.

The proposal was presented to Amos and the service’s senior general officers during a late-January gathering in New Orleans, said Brig. Gen. David Berger, director of operations at Marine Corps headquarters. Amos thumbed down the plan, Berger said Feb. 18, because “your allegiance, your loyalty … is to the Marine Corps, based on the title you have on your uniform.”

“He supports them,” Berger said of MARSOC. “He made it clear that the tie, the connection to our past is absolutely important to him, but we’re not going to name a unit by some naming convention — any unit in the Marine Corps — because we’re Marines first.”

The original Raiders were highly trained amphibious forces, four battalions strong that helped seize key islands during pivotal campaigns in the South Pacific.

Efforts to speak with Amos were unsuccessful. His spokesman was unfamiliar with the proposal and referred questions about it to MARSOC. Officials with MARSOC declined to comment.

Certainly, the commandant’s decision will come as a great disappointment not only to those in the special operations community who pushed the idea, but also to the 1,100 or so Raiders still living. They have maintained an affiliation with MARSOC since its activation five years ago.

Renaming MARSOC would keep the Raiders’ legacy alive, and help erase lingering criticism about their combat achievements and doubts about their value to the Corps, said Robert Lyn Dix, the U.S. Marine Raider Association’s president.

pnwhite
03-08-11, 04:12 PM
Well hell yes, I'll jump in here!
I am and always have been interested in history, and for that reason I've been what I call a "traditionalist". I don't know who said it, but I firmly believe that if we don't know where we've been, it's kinda hard to figure out where we want to go. (That's my version of it.) Anyway, I believe in traditons, and in this case, if there had always been a Raiders platoon or company or battalion, remaining from WWII clear up to today, then I would say certainly, keep the name or title. But since it has lapsed and there was quite some time between its demise and the inception of MARSOC (not to mention the probability of a change in mission) then out of respect to those who served in it and even are around today to tell their story, then I think the Corps should stick with the MARSOC and leave it at that.

By the way, is there still a Green Berets unit and a Ranger's unit?

EGTSpec
03-08-11, 04:31 PM
Well hell yes, I'll jump in here!
I am and always have been interested in history, and for that reason I've been what I call a "traditionalist". I don't know who said it, but I firmly believe that if we don't know where we've been, it's kinda hard to figure out where we want to go. (That's my version of it.) Anyway, I believe in traditons, and in this case, if there had always been a Raiders platoon or company or battalion, remaining from WWII clear up to today, then I would say certainly, keep the name or title. But since it has lapsed and there was quite some time between its demise and the inception of MARSOC (not to mention the probability of a change in mission) then out of respect to those who served in it and even are around today to tell their story, then I think the Corps should stick with the MARSOC and leave it at that.

By the way, is there still a Green Berets unit and a Ranger's unit?I have to agree. Kinda like the Army giving all Army a Beret. When originally it was for special forces only. To name another unit as "Raiders" even to honor the original Raiders, would IMO minimalize their contribution to the history of the Corps. They were a special breed for a tough special assignment during a special time, making them unique.