PDA

View Full Version : Why do recruiters priortize high school seniors?

itsy
03-07-11, 01:20 PM
Hello Marines. I graduate high school in June. I'm worried that I can't get in the next 5 months because I want to go and get an AG Contract which is apparently a hot choice. I'm not what you would call a quality applicant either.. I have to get an ADHD waiver even though I haven't taken meds since the 8th grade. I have a criminal shoplifting record from when I was 15 and a DMV infraction. With all the branches getting so tight right now I'm just worried my recruiter will tell me I simply can't enlist anymore. I dont understand why graduating and having a couple college units on my hand prior to enlisting would hurt me trying to get in. Marine Corps means alot to me and is a family legacy and I'd do anything to get in.

afraziaaaa
03-08-11, 09:06 AM
The Marine Corps prioritizes high school seniors because having a senior in high school who is enlisted helps that recruiter generate more enlistments. This is why we give high school seniors first pick on jobs as well, because it is a mutually beneficial situation.

You may not be the best applicant, but everyone has issues. The fact is that you are qualified. Trust your recruiter.

slimmy07
03-08-11, 10:35 AM
It's not the recruiters. It's the Marine Corps. People like yourself are always quick to point out why do recruiters do this... or why do RECRUITERS do that.... again, it's the Corps, NOT the recruiters. Yes, the recruiter represents the Corps, but he/she is just following the orders of the mission that is given to them.

Yonkers
03-08-11, 04:35 PM
It's not the recruiters. It's the Marine Corps. People like yourself are always quick to point out why do recruiters do this... or why do RECRUITERS do that.... again, it's the Corps, NOT the recruiters. Yes, the recruiter represents the Corps, but he/she is just following the orders of the mission that is given to them.

This ^

And when I was on recruiters assistance my recruiter flat out told me "Talk to high school seniors and talk to them about what theyre gonna do with their lives"

There are a lot of seniors that still don't know what to do with their lives or are maybe unsure about what to do. You talk to the people who are your target audience... commercials that sell toys are played on kids shows.. very rarely are they played on adult programs :D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-09-11, 06:57 PM
You answered your own question...."I'm not a quality applicant". Simply put, and 'generally', a High School senior is NOT going to have 'life issues' for the most part. Clean records, no wives/dependants to deal with, in good or better physical shape, and wanting 'direction'.

They don't need waivers, or the ones they do need are simple and easy and don't require a lot of time and effort, and money to process.

Just that simple.

sparkie
03-09-11, 07:27 PM
I was told by a recruiter that they, "highschoolers' have their long wait with something to occupy. Those outta highschool have nothing to occupy.