PDA

View Full Version : Switching MOS

Barnett20110425
03-07-11, 12:21 PM
Good Afternoon Marines and any Poolees that may be reading.

Here's my spill.
I'm already a poolee as you can see.
I originally was going to sign in for an AG contract or and Infantry contract. My recruiter told me that I needed to get sworn in
as soon as possible so my slot for those choices would be open, but
by the time that we were looking for MOS slots my choices were
already filled so I went with a Comm slot.

The more I've been thinking about it the more I've realized that
I won't be truly happy with that job.

The only way that I would be able to get the AG contract is if
I pushed my ship date farther down the line.

My question is: Should I tell my recruiter to push my date or what?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Unsure if this should go in the Pool (ee) Hall or ask a Marine forum
so I'll post in both.

Pwork703
03-07-11, 01:51 PM
If it were me, I would push my ship date back. Do you have any idea how much longer that would be?
I'm in open contract right now, and hoping to get 08xx or 18xx when they project job openings for the next fiscal year, and I know that I would for sure wait a few extra months to make sure I had the job that I wanted. Good luck man!

Barnett20110425
03-07-11, 01:55 PM
My tentative ship date is 20110425
I'm just not wanting to be a douche about it
but I really want that air crew mos

Pwork703
03-07-11, 02:09 PM
My tentative ship date is 20110425
I'm just not wanting to be a douche about it
but I really want that air crew mos

Yea I see what you're saying man...I don't think your recruter will see it like that though. He/she should be trying to help you get the job that is best for you as well as getting ready for RT. If you really want to be air crew do whatever you can to make sure that happens. I know waiting sucks, I'm not shipping until August, but just realize that you will be spending a good chunk of your life doing whatever MOS you end up choosing, so make sure it's somthing that you get pumped up about.

Barnett20110425
03-07-11, 02:15 PM
right.. the only thing about comms that I think I'd like would be being attached to
and infantry unit and there's no guarantee that that would happen...
I'll just see how things pan out

Pwork703
03-07-11, 02:22 PM
right.. the only thing about comms that I think I'd like would be being attached to
and infantry unit and there's no guarantee that that would happen...
I'll just see how things pan out

Yea...it's all up to you bro. Good luck.

Barnett20110425
03-07-11, 02:26 PM
Thanks and the same to you.

Buhler
03-08-11, 06:55 PM
From what I've heard there aren't that many Comm MOS's that get attached to infantry units, at least thats why my recruiter told my friend who had the choice between comms and 6-2 infantry. If I were you, I'd push my date back and jump on that contract ASAP, or else it could mean 2 years at least, doing something you don't want to do.

USMC Infantry
03-10-11, 12:03 PM
Yea I see what you're saying man...I don't think your recruter will see it like that though. He/she should be trying to help you get the job that is best for you as well as getting ready for RT. If you really want to be air crew do whatever you can to make sure that happens. I know waiting sucks, I'm not shipping until August, but just realize that you will be spending a good chunk of your life doing whatever MOS you end up choosing, so make sure it's somthing that you get pumped up about.

Cool i ship in august too. :flag:

kjohnson8824
03-10-11, 12:25 PM
It all comes down to one thing, If being a Marine is your main priority then go for it and just see what the Corps puts you in, I mean theres alot of jobs out there and you don't really know what its like until your actually doing it. But if your just all about AG then push back your date or sign up for the Army, I hear they garuntee MOS's

Barnett20110425
03-10-11, 01:25 PM
No way that I would ever join the army.
It's not all about the contract it was just a preference.
The MOS that I would really like would be in the 03 field.
Just kinda feel that grunt calling.

It's all about becoming a Marine.

AlexJH
03-10-11, 08:35 PM
AG is guaranteed aircrew isn't it? If you want it, push for it.