PDA

View Full Version : Take terminal or sell the days back?

AlohaMarine
03-06-11, 11:05 PM
I am already getting BAH and FSA because I am a geo bachelor, that makes a big difference...I will make LESS money by taking terminal leave, because BAH for my home of record doesn't equal Hawaii's.

However, I will get out in 2 months as opposed to 3.

I was going to just suck it up, sell my leave days, and stay until noon on my EAS date...This is still on my separation's worksheet, as selling my days back, but I can still change it.

However, now I'm living in a room without air conditioning, hot water, and was probably bombed in someway during the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. Its old. I'm just getting fedup with the shenanigans going on in the barracks, everyone is an alcoholic Lance Corporal and retarded. Also, I just had a corporal knock on my door and tell me I needed to "wipe down the walls" because the "General is coming tomorrow."....yeah right.

(The general is always "coming through the barracks")

FWIW, it works out to be about an extra $2000 if I sell my leave days back.

So what would you do?

A.) Get out with an extra $2,000 and stay in a month longer
or
B.) Get out a month earlier and lose out on $2,000
or
C.) Sell back X amount of days and take X amount of terminal leave.

Think guys, think back to barracks life. Don't come at me with "Just suck it up" if you've never lived in a room thats 85 degrees with 100% humidity and 60 degree shower water, while beer pong matches go on until 0300 on worknights.

I always told myself I would only reenlist (aka ***** myself out) for a $100,000 tax free bonus. Well, $100,000 for a 48 month reenlistment works out to about $2,000 a month. Should I do it?

I'm leaning more towards no...

Quinbo
03-06-11, 11:23 PM
Think about it like this ... Selling back leave you get only your base pay after taxes for the days. Terminal you continue to recieve all of your pay and benifits for the duration of your leave. You could during that time scare up a side job, get yourself enrolled in college etc.

I can see where you are coming from though. Work till the last day then sell the leave and pocket the extra cash. Personally I scared up a job before I went on terminal and went to work the day after I got out. I was getting paid by the Marine Corps and my new job at the same time for two months. I did on my EAS have to get a hair cut and put on the uniform one last time to go in and sign my final fit rep.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-06-11, 11:28 PM
I know the barracks well that you are living in. They were converted from squadbays to dorms back in the 1980's when I was in. I had the pleasure of living in the squadbays and the critters munching on me while I slept back then. But a dorm room that is enclosed with no A/C or ventilation? That sucks.

Do you have something lined up on the outside before you jump ship? I would seriously be checking USAjobs.gov or a civilian job out. Make sure to give yourself at least a 30 day breather before hitting the work force so you can decompress.

I know you have indicated you want to attend college full time, but at the same time, you have a few months until that starts. The beer pong parties get old along with the same old sea stories that never change.

Personally, I was glad to leave K-Bay at the time and taking the freebird back to the states. It would be good to have a chunk of change handy when you hit the civilian world. So it is ultimately up to you.

Phantom Blooper
03-07-11, 05:47 AM
Can't say what to do....

You have weighted your math well....

However can you make that amount or more on the outside.....

Do you need terminal to line up homefront and job?

I'd stick a piece of paper in a cover and choose.....

Good luck....

Old Marine
03-07-11, 09:50 AM
I would jump ship early. The dis-organized civilian division is waiting.

Crusader20
03-07-11, 10:33 AM
I would take the early out. Set yourself up with a job, while still getting a "paycheck". You never know how long it may take to get a job.

Tennessee Top
03-07-11, 12:28 PM
The civilian job market sucks! If you have the option of going to school I'd recommend that route first. Remember that old adage "it's not always greener on the other side"? It's true for civilian life. Being a civilian is not what it's all cracked up to be believe me.

What's so bad about reenlisting? Once you pick up your rocker, SNCO quarters are a major upgrade (no worry about any LCpl's around) and you could look at a "B" billet like Recruiting, DI, or MSG Detachment Commander. You wouldn't have to worry about finding a decent job and you can still work on your education albeit on your own time.

I know this is coming from a "lifer" but, in my opinion, there is no better job than leading Marines.

Good luck with your decision and thank you for your service.

devilbones2
03-07-11, 01:25 PM
I would just get out as soon as you can. You can always make more money but you will never be able to get that time back. When you have short timers disease everything will **** you off and you cant wait to get out.

gkmoz
03-07-11, 01:38 PM
The civilian job market sucks! If you have the option of going to school I'd recommend that route first. Remember that old adage "it's not always greener on the other side"? It's true for civilian life. Being a civilian is not what it's all cracked up to be believe me.

What's so bad about reenlisting? Once you pick up your rocker, SNCO quarters are a major upgrade (no worry about any LCpl's around) and you could look at a "B" billet like Recruiting, DI, or MSG Detachment Commander. You wouldn't have to worry about finding a decent job and you can still work on your education albeit on your own time.

I know this is coming from a "lifer" but, in my opinion, there is no better job than leading Marines.

Good luck with your decision and thank you for your service.

So you figure 2,000 a month the way it works out ? But you also will be getting paid your regular monthly pay, and like Tennesee Top says your living conditions will change significantly with E-6 ! I would think long and hard about coming out here in the civilian job market ! Plus you still can go to School while your in for 4 more. single ? you got the world by the short hairs my friend and do not know it ! Just my opinion ! Moz:flag:

DrZ
03-07-11, 02:00 PM
Aloha,
I have to agree with the Top. The civilian market sucks currently for jobs. 9% unemployment and prices going up. No one really has any idea when this will end. As an E5 with over 6, you are currently or soon to be making $31440 base. So for the next four years.... you could be making as much as an O2 over 6.

Put in for a change of duty station...or a new MOS. Hell.... put in for WO. You have many choices inside that you won't have outside right now. After those 4..... perhaps the civilian marketplace will look better and you can look again at making this decision.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Wood5831
03-07-11, 02:21 PM
Top,
I believe Aloha is looking at going to School and possibly being an Officer.

1stRad2671
03-07-11, 02:39 PM
I EASed from Hawaii. I had something like 3+ months of leave accrued with a Sept 2 EAS. I stuck around long enough to hang out with my local friends during the 4th of July then got out of there.

Muztang11
03-07-11, 02:44 PM
When I went terminal from 3rd Marines I took allot of terminal leave in Hawaii looking for a job.....Try it....Once you sign the papers you are gone,nobody cares if you are visiting Hawaii Pacific University,are trashed on the beach in Waimanalo or flew home,Your just gone.Nobody ever called while I was on terminal to check on me.....

AlohaMarine
03-07-11, 04:17 PM
O4 20 years of service: $7049.10 per month

E7 20 years of service: $4189.20 per month

$3524.55 per month for the retired Major

$2094.60 per month for the retired GySgt

(For all intents and purposes we will say that the medical and retirement benefits remain the same)

However, the major gets out and has a college degree and a resume with alot more substance than a GySgt does.

Knowing that: Why would anyone with the dedication, drive, and intelligence ever want to reenlist...or enlist at all?

An O1 never has to police call, never has to live with rowdy LCpls, and for the most part has it pretty good.

But an E1???

charm1110
03-07-11, 04:58 PM
Aloha,

My best advice would be to start heading in the direction of OCS if possible. The civilian job market is terrible right now and will be for a while longer. I remember well the agony of barrack's life and how unbearable it can be at times. But the reality is there's not a lot going on out here and on top of that there is no such thing as job security anywhere! As far as taking terminal or riding it out for the extra 2 grand that's up to you, Personally I'd go for riding it out and using that time to find a solid path to some gold bars. In the long run 2 grand will be gone so quick you'll hardly know you had it.
Either way Best of luck to you!

Semper Fi...:flag:

Marine84
03-07-11, 05:29 PM
Have I missed something somewhere? Matt, why are you living in the barracks?

Kegler300
03-07-11, 05:34 PM
Take the money and enjoy your last few days on active duty, or split the terminal leave and LSL. Unless you have an immediate job opportunity or college entrance date, the cash in the bank will give you a little buffer until you find a job.

HST
03-07-11, 05:50 PM
Sounds like you've got some decent digs, dude. I'd re-up but hold out for a quanset hut. Just my take on it as a career from the far side of life. It ain't bad considering what's going on in this country right now.

VictoryttBold
03-07-11, 07:06 PM
:flag:Re-up broseph, it really blows out here.

AlohaMarine
03-07-11, 08:15 PM
I'm not re-upping. I know it blows. You guys aren't getting it...

Have I missed something somewhere? Matt, why are you living in the barracks?

The Mrs. is back in Florida. It was easier to move her to get settled in so when I EAS I can just land at the airport and go home. No worrying about "Where will we live?"

VictoryttBold
03-07-11, 08:35 PM
:flag:Oh, I guess you're the f_ _ _in riddler.

http://www.bat-mania.co.uk/main/villains/images/frank_gorshin_riddler1.jpg