PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an MOS? Electronic Maintenance MOS questions?

d3vanj
03-06-11, 10:56 AM
Hi, I'm a Poolee living in central Florida. I signed up for Aviation Mechanic (60/61/62) but by the time I was sworn in there were no slots left open for this job, and I now have to choose another.

I'm really looking for something that will translate very well into civilian life, and something I enjoy doing. My recruiter suggested Field 59, Electronic Maintenance ( http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/59.htm ), I just have some questions to ask:

-Is that an enjoyable job? Any Marine I spoke with that is or was an Aviation Mechanic said they really enjoyed their job, and I was wondering if this field was enjoyable as well.

-What kind of hours will be worked? Will every day be extremely long days, or will it vary?

-Will I be in combat? I understand I will deploy, but will I spend my time on base, or would I be out in combat?

-How long is the schooling and where is it located? (like Aviation Mechanic was 4-9 months located in Pensacola, FL)

-This last one is for any Marine that is currently in Elec Maintenance or was in the past; any advice if I do end up picking this field?

**Thank you to any and all Marines that read/respond to this, and I want to apologize for the kind of long winded post.

Devil1087
03-06-11, 01:49 PM
The wing works long days, you won't be in combat but you'll probably hate life anyways. If you can try to get an AG contract and at least fly in the damn thing that you turn wrenches on all day.

nullisecundus
03-06-11, 03:44 PM
If you go 59**

there is no guarantee as to if you go to a mals or a squadron, and even then you have no choice as to what you actually do.

Like, I was 5900, and I ended up an intermediate level maintenance, and all my 5900 buddies ended up organizational level, which means.. I actually fix the electronics, they just take it out of the bird and send it to us.

and even you go to the same place, pensacola.. for 59/61/62/63/64, so regardless of which one of those are, you could become any of them once youre in.

but im currently in this mos, so I can tell you everything about the mals side of the house, along with the nonsense you will encounter in pensacola.

d3vanj
03-07-11, 12:26 AM
If you go 59**

there is no guarantee as to if you go to a mals or a squadron, and even then you have no choice as to what you actually do.

Like, I was 5900, and I ended up an intermediate level maintenance, and all my 5900 buddies ended up organizational level, which means.. I actually fix the electronics, they just take it out of the bird and send it to us.

and even you go to the same place, pensacola.. for 59/61/62/63/64, so regardless of which one of those are, you could become any of them once youre in.

but im currently in this mos, so I can tell you everything about the mals side of the house, along with the nonsense you will encounter in pensacola.
Thanks a lot LCpl. I will send you a PM.

Cpl Duff
03-07-11, 01:12 AM
WATCH OUT. Just a general heads up. If you dont have a specific MOS in your contract you might have no choice what you do. Example. I Signed up to be Security Forces. Before I shipped I was told that all the slots were closed and I had to chose a new MOS. I went with designator BZ-Ground Data Electronics. Like you, I wanted a marketable skill for the civilian world should i get out. What I didnt know was that opption feed into over 4 different mos fields. 2100,6000,5000,and I another one i cant think of. In those fields it then feeds in multiple mos's. I.E. 2111,2131,2171...etc
So where i was thinking I had a specified MOS, turned into a very broad group. Just watch out and make sure you are getting what you want. Also Ask about how fast the rank promotes. So people pick up Cpl in 2 years some it takes almost 4. All depends on your job.

d3vanj
03-07-11, 01:32 AM
WATCH OUT. Just a general heads up. If you dont have a specific MOS in your contract you might have no choice what you do. Example. I Signed up to be Security Forces. Before I shipped I was told that all the slots were closed and I had to chose a new MOS. I went with designator BZ-Ground Data Electronics. Like you, I wanted a marketable skill for the civilian world should i get out. What I didnt know was that opption feed into over 4 different mos fields. 2100,6000,5000,and I another one i cant think of. In those fields it then feeds in multiple mos's. I.E. 2111,2131,2171...etc
So where i was thinking I had a specified MOS, turned into a very broad group. Just watch out and make sure you are getting what you want. Also Ask about how fast the rank promotes. So people pick up Cpl in 2 years some it takes almost 4. All depends on your job.
Thanks a lot for the advice Cpl.

I know that 59** feeds into 5least 10 jobs in the sub field of 5900, like 5911, 5923, etc. etc., but I was also told by the LCpl. that posted above you that 5900 also goes in to 6300, so it covers 59/61/62/63, which would make me very happy because I originally signed up for 61/62/63 for Aviation Mechanic.

Once again, thanks a lot for your input and advice Cpl, I will also be sure to ask about how quickly the ranking would be.