PDA

View Full Version : Want more letters at mail call?

LitLover84
03-05-11, 09:24 PM
Greetings Marines!

I'm a member of the Literature Club at the university I attend and some of the other members and I are looking to support the men and women that serve our country by exchanging email or snail mail with them.

There are four of us for sure that have signed up to be pen pals, but more may soon join us. So if you know of any of your brothers and sisters in arms who might like to get some mail, feel free to send me a PM.

Many thanks to all Marines both past and present. Thanks for your sacrifice and your service. It is sincerely appreciated.

Tennessee Top
03-05-11, 09:41 PM
That's a great thing your club is doing. Good luck with your project.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-05-11, 11:30 PM
She will. Ma'am make sure you post this in the Poolee section as well.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-06-11, 11:45 PM
Bump

Ray Merrell
03-07-11, 03:32 AM
LitLover84,

This is a terrific thing you are doing.
I can attest to the greatest gift you can get in
the service of our country is a letter from home.
Nothing like "snail mail" to raise a service man's
moral. "Mail Call" was our most important event!

Gung Ho & Semper Fi,

Ray

LitLover84
03-07-11, 11:48 AM
Thanks. I just want to help out where I can. A childhood friend of mine that I grew up with enlisted in The Corps after we graduated from High School in '02. He was in for 4 years, serving in Iraq part of that time and, thank God, made it back stateside safely.

I can remember sitting in the TV room of my Sorority house a few years later anxiously watching the news coverage of the conflict in Iraq knowing my old friend was right there in the middle of it. In my collegiate self-absorption it never occurred to me to write to him and support him or anything like that.

I'm trying to help where I can now that I'm a little older and (hopefully) a little wiser. I want to help make sure that the younger members of my group don't lose themselves in the bubble of University study, to help them see there are much bigger things out there...much more we should think about than just ourselves.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-09-11, 06:52 PM
Bump, with an endorsement from me. This lady is totally on the level and 100 percent committed to doing what she says she is going to do. By all means, contact her via PM with your information, or get hers from her prior to leaving for Recruit Training. Trust me, you'll be WANTING those letters and cards once you are there.

VictoryttBold
03-09-11, 08:23 PM
:flag:Good to go LitLover !

Ray Merrell
03-10-11, 04:00 AM
Service men & women NEED your support.
LETTERS are welcomed.
Snail mail is best.
To be kept and treasured!
Gung Ho, Ray

USNAviator
03-10-11, 06:27 AM
Service men & women NEED your support.
LETTERS are welcomed.
Snail mail is best.
To be kept and treasured!
Gung Ho, Ray

Agreed Ray haven't gotten one in years. Still have all the ones my wife sent me when I was in flight training. Some of the envelopes had Par Avion on them. LOL, Air Mail not something you see anymore

Ray Merrell
03-10-11, 06:52 AM
I didn't get to keep my letters in the South Pacific ,
but my wife (girlfriend at the time) has all of mine.
Some 6 cent airmails, some free, and they are printed
in my book "My Three Years in the Marine Corps". It
is available from me.

Ray Merrell
03-10-11, 07:48 AM
I just posted "Letters" in my photo album.

bravozulu
03-10-11, 07:56 AM

Ray that picture with you and your bride sitting on the couch. I see a service flag in the window with what appear to be three stars. Was that your house or hers?

Ray Merrell
03-10-11, 08:22 AM
bravozulu, If you are referring to the picture posted under
"Home from the South Pacific" that is in my parents home,
they had three sons in the service. My two brothers were in
the Navy and I of course in the Marines. Thanks for asking.
Gung Ho,,,,,Ray

LitLover84
03-10-11, 11:24 AM

Thanks for posting those! I just read them and must admit I teared up. Such a sweet story. Love like that doesn't seem to happen very often, which makes it all the more beautiful when you do see it. :)

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-11, 07:23 PM
Agree! I kept all of my letters from everyone, and still have them, these many years later. Great references for sure and every so often I'll go back and read some of them again, esp. from now deceased friends and relatives. Letter writing is truly a lost art.

I also have all the letters my Uncle Dan wrote my grandmother in WWII. He was with Co C, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Div, and made the landings in North Africa, Sicily, and D-Day, finally being wounded his third and last time in a Normandy Hedgerow. Silver Star, Bronze Star, 3 PH...all before age 21. One helluva solder and my personal 'hero', he's now gone but I have taken custody of the letters.

LitLover84
03-11-11, 06:36 PM
Quick Update: I'll be sending out three care packages that my family and I put together to some anymarine.com contacts I have. The first round of "Lit Club Letters" will be going along with them! Each of my three friends have contributed one and I'll be including one in each myself.

Tennessee Top
03-11-11, 09:00 PM
Very inspirational...thank you again!

Ray Merrell
03-12-11, 04:23 AM
Thank you for your thoughtfullness to anymarine.com.
Your care packages will be most welcomed I'm sure.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-11, 05:32 PM
OUTstanding!!!

LitLover84
04-08-11, 09:31 PM
I had a member PM me to see how the letter writing is going, so I thought it might be time for a general update.

Three of my friends and I have each written letters to and received responses from Marines who are currently deployed.

I made contact with a NCO here on Leatherneck.com who will contact me with the names of any of his Jr. Marines who could use a letter or two when they deploy.

I've also been in contact with a currently deployed Marine through this site. Four of my friends and I will be sending letters to him and four of the Marines he works with.

At a recent campus wide Spring Festival, our Literature Club held a book drive at our booth and collected books to send to troops overseas. We had a good amount donated in a short period of time! Several of our professors have helped us by sending out school wide emails to advertise our project and by donating several books themselves. The first of the reading material care packages should be sent out in a week or so.

The faculty of our university's English department has quite willingly agreed to let the Lit Club leave a box for ongoing drop offs/donations in the English Division main office. We'll be sending out those as they come in.

My friends and I are really enjoying this. It's very nice to know that we might be helping in some small way. We meet up for lunch at least once a week and at some point the conversation always turns to an update of what we've heard from our new Marine friends.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement that's been offered!

Sgt Leprechaun
04-11-11, 11:45 PM
That....is just freakin OUTstanding!!! Well done, ma'am.