PDA

View Full Version : Is the Marine Corps really phasing out the Harrier?

DelawareDude
03-05-11, 08:34 PM
I have a few quick questions about the Harrier Jump Jet. First off, I understand some of you might not want to answer my questions given the response I gave to a Marine in the last question I asked, and I understand if you don't want to, but I did apologize for that.

Anyway, someone in the last thread I made said the Harrier is being phased out by the Marine Corps, and I am just wondering if this is true. I am hoping to attend the Naval Academy and hopefully fly Harriers one day. Anyway, this worries me if they are being phased out. Would there be any replacement to the Harrier if it is being phased out? Or is this just all rumor? Also are the Harriers that the Marine Corps use the same kind as the ones used by the British Royal Navy and Royal Air Force? I know British Aerospace builds the Royal Naval and RAF Harriers, and McDonnell-Douglas builds the USMC Harriers. But are they maybe like in a joint contract together. I guess it doesn't matter about who makes them, was just wondering.

I guess my main question though is, is it true that the Corps is phasing out the Harrier? It's been my dream ever since I was little to fly the Harrier, I've wanted nothing else. I just hope the Corps doesn't phase them out, or they reconsider it if they are. I'm currently in high school, but like I said I'm hoping to get into the Naval Academy (another dream I've had since I was little), and then hopefully fly Harriers. Is it really hard to get selected for a slot to fly Harriers?

Thanks.

-Ethan-

WXSgt
03-05-11, 10:45 PM
look into the JSF F-35B that will be the replacement to all the Marine Corps planes eventually. theres talk of killing it but its needed

TunTvrnWarrior
03-05-11, 11:29 PM
Delawaredude, have a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPy7FuA0Z6A

The F35B operates on the same principle as the Harrier.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-05-11, 11:34 PM
Yes, basically. However it will likely still be around, in some form or another, for the time being, until the 'new' airframe (whatever that might end up being) fully integrates.

One thing you have to know about Marines...once we chew your azz/correct you, it's over. We don't 'take things personal' or hold grudges against our troops once they correct themselves (as you did) and move on. So there is no need to keep apologizing...."It's a sign of weakness" LOL.

DelawareDude
03-05-11, 11:53 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies, and thanks for the vid tuntvrnwarrior.
-Ethan-

Tennessee Top
03-06-11, 01:50 AM
The F35B was supposed to replace the Harrier fleet but is being scrapped because of being too expensive. The current Harrier fleet is at the end of its service life expectancy so something will have to give. Flying outdated/obsolete airframes is nothing new to USMC pilots as they have been doing that since military aviation began.

USNAviator
03-06-11, 07:33 AM
It is true, the Harrier has already begun its faze out in Great Britain,the F-35 STOVL has just completed its 100th test flight

And as Sgt Lep mentioned, you were chastised but you manned up did the right thing and its over

Glad to see you came back and posted, you'll do OK

What have you done about looking into applying to the Academy? Have you ever taken a flying lesson? I got my license before I went through PLC and was commissioned. When I applied to flight school I was able to bypass IFS (Introductory Flight Screening). This is where not only you but the Navy as well find out if you have the basic skills to learn to fly. You have to solo at IFS

DelawareDude
03-06-11, 04:22 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Yes I have contacted the Academy via email, but given it was last night I did it on a Saturday, I haven't got a response back yet. I just basically requested some basic information. I also spoke with my counselor here at my high school, and he is willing to help too. He went to the Air Force Academy, so he also has some idea. Oh I also asked them if they can possibly help me out in regards to possibly getting on the USNA's Lacrosse team too, so I am gonna speak with my coach about that as well.

As far as flying lessons, no I have not taken any, yet, but I really want to. I gotta speak with my Mom and Dad about it. Thanks again for the help so far.

-Ethan-

DelawareDude
03-06-11, 04:23 PM
Delaware, what the Commander just said is very true---the past is the past re the prior controversy. You did apologize and no one will hold anything before that against you.

Thanks, guess it is history now.

-Ethan-

USNAviator
03-06-11, 05:23 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Yes I have contacted the Academy via email, but given it was last night I did it on a Saturday, I haven't got a response back yet. I just basically requested some basic information. I also spoke with my counselor here at my high school, and he is willing to help too. He went to the Air Force Academy, so he also has some idea. Oh I also asked them if they can possibly help me out in regards to possibly getting on the USNA's Lacrosse team too, so I am gonna speak with my coach about that as well.

As far as flying lessons, no I have not taken any, yet, but I really want to. I gotta speak with my Mom and Dad about it. Thanks again for the help so far.

-Ethan-

LOL Ethan I had to laugh, sometimes we forget there are actually people considerably younger than us on here. The asking your Mom and Dad threw me for a second. I'm picturing some grizzled old Marine saying that

You're making a good start re the Academy and Navy has a great lacrosse program. A good friend of mine's three sons, the Looneys all played for Navy. Unfortunately the eldest son Brendan, a SEAL, was killed last year in Afghanistan

When you hear back from the Academy post on here. Maybe we can help out

ggyoung
03-06-11, 06:50 PM
What they should faze out is the osprey 22

USNAviator
03-06-11, 07:08 PM

Absolutely, what a turkey that thing is

USNAviator
03-06-11, 09:52 PM

(Sorry I put a pic of the Osprey here and it did not show up)

Ugliest bird, no turkey, I have ever seen. Kudos to the Marine pilots who fly her day in, day out. But with that top wing over loading, no I'd rather wait for the next bus

USNAviator
03-08-11, 08:03 PM
Ethan I wanted to give you some updated news

Amos was asked several times about the performance of the F-35B short-take-off-or-vertical-landing (STOVL) version of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), now being tested by the Navy and Marine Corps.

“My sense is things are lined up right now for success,” Amos said. “Right now the STOVL has flown 140 percent of its scheduled test flights since Jan. 1. It has flown about another 200 percent of scheduled test points. It’s performing better there, and has already flown something like four or five times more than all last year.”

Amos declared that he is keeping a close eye on the aircraft’s development, and just received a technical development brief.

“Things are performing well,” he said. “I’m paying attention to flying performance. They’re not going to add a pound to that aircraft that I’m not aware of.”

The Marines are preparing a “set of metrics” with which to brief the secretary of defense this summer to “help us get off probation,” Amos declared.

Even if the B version of the JSF successfully enters service, the Marine Corps is planning to fly the F-35C carrier-capable version in addition to the B. Marine strike fighter squadrons flying F/A-18 Hornets regularly deploy now on board aircraft carriers, and those squadrons will transition to the Navy’s C version of the JSF.

“We’re currently undertaking a look at Marine-Navy carrier integration to see what the proper mix is with both conventional and STOVL aircraft,” Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said.

The change from the earlier plan to provide the Marines solely with the STOVL JSF was made because of technical problems with the F-35B’s development, Amos explained.

“That that was the original plan,” he told the committee. “It’s yet to be seen if flying the 35B off carriers is possible.

“It seemed to be prudent that we buy 35Cs,” he added. “But the STOVL is still our primary purpose.”

But Amos reaffirmed his strong support for the aircraft’s development.

The F-35B is “vital to our ability to conduct combined arms operations in expeditionary environments,” he said in his prepared statement. “Continued funding and support from Congress for this program is of the utmost importance.”