PDA

View Full Version : Question...

achilles097
03-04-11, 10:33 AM
There's this other poolee at our RSS who ships the same day as me. He failed his last IST because he couldn't do a single pull-up and the Master Sergeant gave him a "talk". He's been nothing but trouble whenever we PT; he falls out and can't do pushups or do exercises in synchronization (side-straddle hops). We're all working with him to improve PT, but I want to know is there a chance he's going to be in the same platoon or company?

It just irks me when we got poolees not doing **** right and we all pay for it. We were doing group pushups (for those who don't know those are pushups with your legs supported by another person's upper body straddled around his shoulders and everyone is in formation) and some decided to complain about getting kicked or not being able to handle the person in front. These guys are a very small minority of our pool... If there is a way to help these guys let me know so I can pass it along, but I get the feeling some don't want to be helped.

kjohnson8824
03-04-11, 10:57 AM
Yeah we have that at my RSS and Im sure there will be your private pyles at RT too. but for group push ups just make him be the first one to push up and be in the front so he doesn't have to take the weight of someone else.

But all you can really do is just put out and pick up there slack if your on a team with them. If they don't want to put out then that's on them, The weak get weeded out during RT so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

IHaveEGA843
03-04-11, 03:05 PM
I don't know the other Poolees like I should due to my work schedule but I know when I go out there I do put out 110%. I've gotten myself to keeping up with you younger guys/ladies but it took heart and drive.

My Recruiter always says there is 10% of people in the Corps who are **** birds and will be just that when they do their enlistment stints. All you can do is continue to be that motivator and help him. The real deal *Boot Camp* will either make him change or wash right out.

ImpatientPoolee
03-04-11, 03:17 PM
Yah, we ran a 3-mile indian run yesterday and it was ugly. People are whining and complaining instead of being optimistic about it. The harder you put out now, the easier it gets in bootcamp. I mean hell, if you just bust your ass in the DEP, you won't have to worry about the physical aspect of bootcamp at all.

SO anyways, we did a 3 mile indian run at a freekin SHUFFLE pace. SLOW SLOW, so slow it makes your calves hurt. We had a girl fall out at like 1 mile, and a guy who kept stopping and walking the whole damn time. Now, I'm all for unit cohesion and helping the whole team- but there comes a point when THAT guy needs to step it up and quit pussy-footing it. When you have 20 guys yelling at you "COME ON BABY PUSH IT!! WE'RE ALMOST DONE LET'S GOOO!! NO WALKING!!" you would think they can pull the lead out of their asses.

It upsets me, but at the same time you know that if they don't give a ****, and they don't wanna put out- then they're either A) going to drop out of the DEP or B) have a real ****ty time at bootcamp.

Cheers fellas. 24 DAYS TO GO!

IHaveEGA843
03-04-11, 05:46 PM
So true Impatient Poolee

The first time I ever ran the IST I nearly passed out. I was a 265-270 lb guest at the time who ran and at times walked while hearing "do you really wanna become a Marine man?" from a new Marine the whole time. I kept going, I shuffled my feet as the new Marine instructed, I refused the "safety van" *A van people get in when they give up* and on the last stretch I gave it my all to the end as I slowly became light headed and my vision begun to get blurry then turn silver/yellow.

Was it hard? Damn right for someone who was out of shape but I can say I finished it.

Now weighing in at 230-235 lbs I can run the 1.5 easy with just beginning to become tired at the 1 mile mark. My recruiters told me not to worry about the 3 miles because I'll build up to it in boot camp which is true but next week I'm going to increase the mileage to being able to do the 3 miles.

Anyways, thats when I made my mind up that I could become a Marine because I didn't give up, that I had to heart and ego to atleast finish dead last. I felt ashamed but the Poolees clapped as I sprinted in and I felt good about that.

If I can do it trust me anybody can especially losing that weight and putting out. I believe if a Poolee doesn't show they want it then they should be questioned and given one last chance to prove themselves worthy to even go. I enjoy being dead tired and sore as hell but I hate the burn that comes when you know you're pushing your body. If a Poolee can't do this then they shouldn't be given the chance to become a Marine.

Heart, dedication, motivation, and drive will prevail in anything you want done. If you dont have it or don't find it important enough to show it then let the next person who has/shows it go and accomplish what they want done.

ImpatientPoolee
03-04-11, 07:10 PM
So true Impatient Poolee

The first time I ever ran the IST I nearly passed out. I was a 265-270 lb guest at the time who ran and at times walked while hearing "do you really wanna become a Marine man?" from a new Marine the whole time. I kept going, I shuffled my feet as the new Marine instructed, I refused the "safety van" *A van people get in when they give up* and on the last stretch I gave it my all to the end as I slowly became light headed and my vision begun to get blurry then turn silver/yellow.

Was it hard? Damn right for someone who was out of shape but I can say I finished it.

Now weighing in at 230-235 lbs I can run the 1.5 easy with just beginning to become tired at the 1 mile mark. My recruiters told me not to worry about the 3 miles because I'll build up to it in boot camp which is true but next week I'm going to increase the mileage to being able to do the 3 miles.

Anyways, thats when I made my mind up that I could become a Marine because I didn't give up, that I had to heart and ego to atleast finish dead last. I felt ashamed but the Poolees clapped as I sprinted in and I felt good about that.

If I can do it trust me anybody can especially losing that weight and putting out. I believe if a Poolee doesn't show they want it then they should be questioned and given one last chance to prove themselves worthy to even go. I enjoy being dead tired and sore as hell but I hate the burn that comes when you know you're pushing your body. If a Poolee can't do this then they shouldn't be given the chance to become a Marine.

Heart, dedication, motivation, and drive will prevail in anything you want done. If you dont have it or don't find it important enough to show it then let the next person who has/shows it go and accomplish what they want done.

Yah I'm not sure I could've said that better. The last time we chatted you told me you were becoming pretty frustrated, and it makes me very happy to see the progress you've made man!!

That's what it's all about man, it's all about KNOWING you hurt, and WANTING to give in to that pain- but it's about NOT giving in and pushing on. I can't tell you how many times I have ran the 1.5 mile and at the 1 mile mark I'm exhausted because I'm running the damn thing so fast...and I'll close my eyes and let out a groan and open my eyes and push even harder.

It's like these guys are ennamered with the idea of becoming a Marine, but when that time comes to grit your teeth- they say "Ahhh I'm tired, just let me rest." or " *pant pant pant* no no I can't" :evilgrin: You gave a good story there soon2have, great stuff.

PooleeGewarges
03-04-11, 07:20 PM
Yah I'm not sure I could've said that better. The last time we chatted you told me you were becoming pretty frustrated, and it makes me very happy to see the progress you've made man!!

That's what it's all about man, it's all about KNOWING you hurt, and WANTING to give in to that pain- but it's about NOT giving in and pushing on. I can't tell you how many times I have ran the 1.5 mile and at the 1 mile mark I'm exhausted because I'm running the damn thing so fast...and I'll close my eyes and let out a groan and open my eyes and push even harder.

It's like these guys are ennamered with the idea of becoming a Marine, but when that time comes to grit your teeth- they say "Ahhh I'm tired, just let me rest." or " *pant pant pant* no no I can't" :evilgrin: You gave a good story there soon2have, great stuff.

Get some poolees. :mad:
I make myself and other poolees go for indian runs but we do it differently. We would have a front pass down an ammo can to each person, than the last person who gets the ammo can has to spring to the front with the ammo can and YELL something motivating, then the process is repeated. I would love for the indian run to go in a fast pace, but we have Private Pyles.

achilles097
03-04-11, 08:52 PM
Motivating stuff Soon2EGA. A kid in my RSS lost 35 pounds to DEP in and replace another kid who was not coming to PT. My RSS, as told by another Sergeant, is just about completely FULL and they are about to drop people if they don't start improving in PT and attendance. Just to ship out everyone has to do 10 pullups, under 11:00 1.5 miles and 100 crunches. During really tough PT you can see the character of everyone. Those who work hard, who complain, those who MOTIVATE through example and words. During group pushups we kept failing and failing because people talked and said stuff like "You kicked ME!" or complained, or said "I can't" and then dropped to the deck.

Don't get me wrong, I know people are in different shape, but it's amazing what the human body can accomplish when pushed by the mind. A conscientious group effort starts with the individual and how much they are willing to put forth. I am actually an average PT'er, was never a great runner before I swore in, pull-ups weren't my thing and calisthenics as a whole were the last workout on my schedule. Now I am on par and would be ready to ship with the numbers above, but still I am improving.

The poolee I pointed out with the same ship date is actually motarded. Screaming "1,2,3" at the top of his lungs when the situation doesn't warrant it and just random spurs of idiosyncrasies that make the group suffer. His heart is in the right place, but his mind could really use some good straightening. It has been 3 weeks since our last IST and yes, he is still quite the "Pvt Pyle". That's why I asked if there were a possibility we could end up in the same platoon. I don't want to see someone else quit. I want to help him out if I can. The difference between this and the example below is that "Pvt Pyle" comes to every PT.

There are other poolees that are just FUBAR. Some poolees make excuses (lying) about "soccer practice", or other random crap. Those can't be helped because there is no mind to be straightened and no heart. I don't want to help those people because they don't have the will to succeed and become a Marine like the rest of us. They are worthless and don't deserve any of our efforts to help them.

Good luck ImpatientPoolee, I know what it feels like when boot camp is in the home stretch...

ImpatientPoolee
03-04-11, 09:41 PM
Lol, PooleeGewarges- sounds fun. really. :P

Yah achilles I feel ya. There is definitely a fine line between the "quiters" and the "motards". Let that be something to remember. Remember that, yes, we are all poolees and no one is better than the other. Let us remember though, that even though we are a team; we do NOT ship out together. WORK ON YOU! These guys aren't going to be screaming "1,2,3,4 MARINE CORPS" (well you know what I mean) when they have a DI in their face. They will be the ones ****ting themselves.

Bust your ass everyday, learn your general orders, prepare mentally, and don't acknowledge the motards. Can't wait to be serving with you guys, all excellent young men.

Yaaah I'm getting there achilles! It's been some 6 months in the DEP that's for sure.

God Bless.

DubGee
03-04-11, 10:21 PM
Was it the official IST at your HQ? If so, then he shouldve gotten his shipdate pushed back... <br />
<br />
My original ship date was Feb. 22nd, and my recruiter called me Feb. 2nd and said Im going to take my...

PooleeGewarges
03-05-11, 06:29 AM
I've been deped in sicne August, but I have been pting in the station, with no missed attendance, since April 2011. This means once I ship out at June, I have been pting at the recruiting station for 15 months.

Good luck to all Poolees who are shipping out within these coming days or months, and hopefully you have learned alot of pted well during your DEP schedules. :flag:

ImpatientPoolee
03-05-11, 12:02 PM
I've been deped in sicne August, but I have been pting in the station, with no missed attendance, since April 2011. This means once I ship out at June, I have been pting at the recruiting station for 15 months.

Good luck to all Poolees who are shipping out within these coming days or months, and hopefully you have learned alot of pted well during your DEP schedules. :flag:

Yah obviously April 2010. :)
Well everyone, I know you've taken the extra step because you're HERE on this forum spending your days dreaming about RT.

Good Luck to everyone, I'm confident that you guys will get through this and be one fine Marine.

God Bless.

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 05:53 PM
I'm sure all of the Poolees will do fine. You have some ALLSTARS on here but for those who have the so called *good enough* numbers will do fine because if you've gotten yourself from a point of not even being to reach your current numbers it means you've progressed.

Alot of my RS younger Poolees want 03. They want MARSOC or Force Recon, they want to be the SOCOM componets of the Corps. I believe all of this stems from COD with not inplanting the reality of the real world. I bet if COD made a game where you had to actually do all the running and jumping with every physical aspect still with in the comforts of your home they game wouldnt sell. People want the glory with out fighting to through the pain and agony to earn it. Most of the Poolees that we're talking about are these same exact ones who just want something without going through the *BS* of getting it. The world doesn't work like that and take this from someone who has a job and has been in this world as a tax paying citizen for the past 4 years.

Offer your hand to those who want to be helped. To those you offered and they still lag on, dont turn your back on them but cheer them on instead of lagging back and pushing their weight. Sometimes for someone to actually succeed in something they have to fall and climb their way back up but if someone always helps them theyll always fall and wait for the next person to take their weight.

kjohnson8824
03-05-11, 07:48 PM
Soon2HAv I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE! I wanted infantry for more personal reasons and my own reasons, but with all these kids coming in looking for the COD experience made it almost impossible. The ONLY way I got my contract was by proving to the SNCOIC and my recruiter that I was worthy of one. That meant stepping up the plate and scoring a really high PFT (around 275 is my score) I put in the hard work everyday, I have some Poolees at my RSS that just expect sh*t to get handed to them.

Also soon2hav, next time some kid says hes signing up to be MARSOC or SS or some crazy rambo **** just ask him- Oh can you do 30 pullups? or 200 crunches? or run a 18 minute 3 mile? and do all of that after you just PTED all day and swam miles with fins, Look up stew smith fitness your sucsess rate on getting through a Spec Op MOS by just trying to meet the minimum standards is around 6% that's right SIX PERCENT!

Moral is, all the armchair force recon rambo wannabees and Private Pyles who have no motivation will be taken care of accordingly at RT or in the DEP.

kjohnson8824
03-05-11, 07:53 PM
Look up stew smith fitness your sucsess rate on getting through a Spec Op MOS by just trying to meet the minimum standards is around 6% that's right SIX PERCENT!

And I don't mean Just regular USMC standards, I'm talking about the reconnaissance and MARSOC community.

ImpatientPoolee
03-05-11, 08:35 PM
And I don't mean Just regular USMC standards, I'm talking about the reconnaissance and MARSOC community.

Well I understand where you're coming from but that's not completely true. The physical requirements for Scout Snipers and MARSOC is just a 1st class PFT. That's all.

Yah we have a kid that JUST left for bootcamp. This guy was blabbing to me one day when I was sitting in the station saying, "Yaaa, I'm definitely going out for Force Recon- it's been my dream for a long time."

This kid barely gets 6 pull-ups. 80 crunches and BARELY got his 13:30 runtime on the IST to ship-out.

Now...bootcamp is going to improve you tremendously. No doubt. It is not going to make you a PT stud when you can HARDLY even meet the physical requirements. C'mon guys, get a clue.

Spec Ops also requires a lot of mental toughness, and intelligence. Gotta know what you're getting yourself into.

I want to be a Scout Sniper. I looked into the Indoctrination program and I was like "holy ****! It might as well be the damn Green Berets!" It's insane! Having said that, I believe I'm taking a realistic approach to the whole thing. If I go to bootcamp and can't get a "Rifle Expert" on my rifle exam then hey, I can't be a scout sniper. Haha.

Getting tired of these KIDS using their imagination and not their common sense. This is the U.S. Military, we're the best. Grow-up.

kjohnson8824
03-05-11, 08:49 PM
Well actually there is some truth behind that I understand that you need JUST a first class PFT and a first class swim qual, But that is no where near the standards that will be demanded of you. You need to be exceeding the minimums required if you even want a chance to make it through.

But if your attitude is that your JUST trying to get by and pass the minimums required, you have a about a 6% chance of making it through

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 08:54 PM
Bro I think theres a competition now in our RS with those who want an 03 contract. They have to battle in PFT scores *just like you did* and the one who has the highest scores.

Thats why I'm really breezing on through this whole process. I think my Recruiters looked to see if I really wanted it by actually getting down to the shipping weight. Once they saw the weight coming off then they said "We believe you want to become a Marine now because you've shown us that you can do what it takes to become on". Losing weight is easy once you figure it out but you still have to push yourself to drop more then 1 or 2 lbs a week.

I've seen a kid who couldn't even do 3 pull ups go to Recruit Training. I showed him how I did them but he insisted on doing chin ups and obviously his biceps and chest muscles weren't strong enough to even put out 3.

He's gone now show I'll see if he grads a Marine when I see his grad pic posted on the Marine wall. I wish him luck but thats crazy. I can understand struggling with the run but pull ups and crunches are easy. The run deals with pace setting, speed, and endurance while getting in a certain time frame. Crunches.....come on.....if you been in DEP for 3 months and can't do atleast 40 then something is wrong. If you've been in DEP for 5 months and can't do ATLEAST 3 pull ups then something is wrong.

I was doing 3 pull ups at 260 and thats alot of weight to pull up. It baffles me to see this fresh out of high school Poolees that can't even do the minimum. I'm 24 and can do the minimum. It's crazy but hey.....thats how they "put out" so thats them, I can only give advice and hope they take it.

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 09:00 PM
Also many Marines have told me if you really want to become a Marine they will make you one. One said thats the DIs job to make you a Marine, if you fail he fails in his job and makes him look bad and its hard to fail boot camp if you listen to orders and do what is told.

Its like I can just do the minimum knowing I'll grad but thats sad you know. Why not excel when you need to and better yourself and break those mile stones you think you'd never hit. Plus I think the competitive drive should be in all males so I know thats a big part of boot camp. I never want to be last and will put out until I can't no more to make sure I'm not the one in the back even if it means just to pass that one person so I can be ahead of him but I'll encourage my fellow Recruit to the finishing point.

It's crazy how people just want to do nothing or just do the least of things to get somewhere. You should always want to excel so you can get the most of what your working for.

Maybe thats me but thats how I feel.

kjohnson8824
03-05-11, 09:06 PM
Im not to sure if thats so true, I was at an Infantry reserve base for a Poolee Function. The first sergeant was a recently former DI and said everyday he and the other drill instructors just thought of ways to make people quit. So he had a contest with the other DI's one day to see who can get the most recruits to quit in one day.

He got 17, and he lost to the other DI's

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 09:07 PM
LOL at the 3rd post in a row for me

BUT Impatient, I use to tell myself and a couple other Marines at my job that I wanted to grad Platoon Leader/Guide and come out with the strip and dress blues but then when I actually begun to work out I began to really think like "****.....Imma have to basically be the highest PFT scorer and maintain all the leadership of all the Recruits there, I'll have to take the punishment for what they do and just bare it.......Imma just do my best and graduate a Marine"

Reality set in when I saw those cross country running 18 yr olds running 8-9 minute 1.5's and those kids who weight like 115 getting 25 pull ups CORRECTLY. I just said there is no reason to be "that guy" who thinks he can out do all of that. This one guy who just recently graduated said he was going to graduate with a strip and Platoon Leader.....doing what ever it took. When I asked his grandfather how he did and if he was PFC/Platoon Leader he said no. I guess reality set in for him.

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 09:14 PM
Well KJ alot of Marines say those who quit usually quit due to not conforming/take orders well, not willing to train, or just always that Recruit who can't get right and won't try to get right.

I'm telling you that this Marine at my job said he went in at 29. He said this exact **** man, "Man RT is not set up for you to fail, I went in listening to my DI's, I PT'd hard, I learned the knowledge I needed to learn, I helped those who needed that little bit of motivation and I graduated. Its so mental that you won't believe some of the things you did once you're done with it. Yeah its physical but if you have a weak mind you will not last"

My father even said it was like that when he went to boot camp in 1980 for the Air Force. He said when the bus got to the base the DI/DS tapped on the glass and told him, "Your ass better not be the last ass on this bus because if it is I will work you to death". My father said he hauled ass to the front and while they were standing in formation they made them pick up and drop their bags like 50 times. He said it got to the point of when the guy next to him was picking his and my father bag up and my father was just bending down standing up bending down standing up.

70% mental 30% physical from what new and a few old Marines say.

kjohnson8824
03-05-11, 09:24 PM
Yeah I'm not to sure what the attrition rate for RT is but all I know is that the weak and non hackers do get weeded out.

ImpatientPoolee
03-05-11, 09:45 PM
True KJ, however, you need a 2nd class swim qualification for S.Sniper School. :)
Understood though, but a lot of that "exceeding expectations" comes mentally- like soon2have said. It's all mental, and you know why it's like that? Combat. That's how combat is. They give you that shock treatment to simulate combat, it all revolves around the fact that they train us to be warriors.

You guys have a really great attitude though. Just the fact that you check your feedback from a forum designed to help Poolees says a lot about your character as well. I know you guys are dying to just get there already, and experience it yourselves instead of hearing about it from various sources.

Yah soon2have, when it comes to be a guide/squad leader/scribe you HAVE to be realistic about it. I mean, if you're not a leader and aren't a PT stud- chances are the DI's aren't going to let you have that position for long/at all. I heard from a Marine who just graduated that you wouldn't believe how many recruits are giving orders/trying to be a leader at the receiving phase because they want to be a guide. Don't be THAT dickhead who THINKS he's a badass because he can do 30 pull-ups, instead, let all of that play out naturally. Don't volunteer, but show that you aren't fvucking playing around, and that you mean business and that leadership spot may come to you.

I should say though, we have a guy at our RSS who's probably...20-21 but he is just cut-up; huge biceps, just thick. We all call him "Guide" because he is just a natural-born leader. He WILL be a guide in bootcamp, well all know it. He commands all the poolees with this...unbelievable sense of leadership and integrity- it's amazing. When you see the leader- you'll know. Can't miss that stuff.

Haha, God Bless guys- keep 'em coming.

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 09:54 PM
Bro, thats anywhere. Trust me when you begin to live and actually see how this society works you will see how fast you need to mature and become the man you need to be to survive.

Life is not hard to live but to live right and honestly is. Do you know how many people rather take the easy route and live off the goverment? Thats like those Poolees who rather fall out during a 1.5 run and have another Poolee help them finish. How about those people who rather live off unemployment and wont even consider to finding a part time job. Thats like those kids who just complain while doing 10 push ups but won't even attempt to do those 10 at home in their own time.

You think running PFT is hard *the run is to me* but try keeping a job in this economy when companies will lay your ass off without giving a **** about you, your bills, or your family. Life is like a continuou RT and if you can hack it you will end up where you dont want to be and many die young because they just couldn't handle the struggles of live and choose to do things that put them down.

I plan on getting in the best shape of my life during recruit training because I never did any sports coming up so yes alot of stuff especially dealing with my legs are hard. It will hurt, I will be sore but I will never quit. I will complain in my mind but I will never show it. I do it at work all the time and I work with a bunch of service members from many branches. God can some of these people make some of the dumbest decisions but you know what.....complaining never got nothing done so I just do it and then look at them like "yup......still ****ed up" when its done and they wonder why its not going as planned.

Prepare for the Corps boot camp but also prepare for living a life that will benefit you and your future family. Life isnt hard but living it right is and if you cant hack it youll be living pay check to pay check wondering how'd you get here.

IHaveEGA843
03-05-11, 09:58 PM
Impatient, my leadership skills is on point. I've been giving supervisor duties at jobs and given tremendous amounts of gratitude for showing/teaching coworkers right.

I'm not a PT stud and probably never will be so thats the reality in it.

Yall fellas are good people. I wouldnt mind linking up with yall in RT and having someone I never met in person be a good friend because we know each other views through the net.

kjohnson8824
03-05-11, 10:13 PM
Impatient, putting out like that is mental, But you need to look at it all as one big competition. If you go to SS school to be the best and compete with other candidates, your chances of getting through are significantly higher if you are physically prepared

Just think of it like this, If your playing in the superbowl all your thinking about winning, So typically the last thing on your mind is walking of the field and throwing in the towel.

Hope that makes sense, But Impatient if your serious about SS look up stew smith fitness, hes an Ex Navy SEAL and has a lot of great info about how to prepare yourself physically and mentally. His Recon workout books are insane.

Soon2Hav
Yeah I here you on that. Well Im going to Parris Island in 29 days 2nd batallion golf co.

ImpatientPoolee
03-05-11, 10:26 PM
Hope that makes sense, But Impatient if your serious about SS look up stew smith fitness, hes an Ex Navy SEAL and has a lot of great info about how to prepare yourself physically and mentally. His Recon workout books are insane.

Well physically I think I'm ok KJ. Doing 20 pull-ups, 125 crunches, and when I timed my 3 mile it was at 20 minutes. So that would be...a 276 PFT score right? I figure if I can score a 276 now, then after bootcamp when my run time WILL get better, I shouldn't have a problem scoring higher than that. :) I got ya though man, seriously, I do. Busting my ass everyday to prepare myself physically, I appreciate your insight though.

@Soon2have- well I guess I never looked at it like that, but you do have some good reasoning. I'm still young, (only 20) and haven't really fully seen the real world. I still have a tendency to trust everyone I meet, and I shouldn't do that because that's just not the real world. I guess I don't really have a way to measure how mentally strong I am...and I guess I won't honestly know until I hit those footprints. You hit some good points there. I suppose I'll always fall back on how hard I've worked these past 6 months, and those bible verses that keep me pushing everyday. Failure isn't an option- you fellas should have that exact same mentality too. Btw, who the hell says you can't be a guide soon2have? You don't ship until November right?? Go for it! I promise you I would cling to someone older who had their **** squared away immediately.

DubGee
03-05-11, 10:38 PM
Spec Ops also requires a lot of mental toughness, and intelligence. Gotta know what you're getting yourself into.

I want to be a Scout Sniper. I looked into the Indoctrination program and I was like "holy ****! It might as well be the damn Green Berets!" It's insane! Having said that, I believe I'm taking a realistic approach to the whole thing. If I go to bootcamp and can't get a "Rifle Expert" on my rifle exam then hey, I can't be a scout sniper. Haha.

Amen bro. Most kids who are looking towards secret squirrel stuff dont contemplate their future, if their plans fall through. All you can do is try your best to get expert, and if you do then you take the next step and so on.

95% of Recon/Marsoc operators have 1-2+ deployments under their belt, which holds a lot of combat experience/mental toughness. Hence why there's only 5-10 Recon contracts handed out per RSS County level per fiscal year.

All those flutter kicks and pushups Instructors make candidates perform are not meant to break your abs/legs/or arms. Theyre meant to break your mind. And If you have the MENTAL toughness to stick those out, then they will help your mind. And give you a gnarly 6-pack :)

will3385
03-06-11, 02:40 AM
You will find those same people at boot but it seems like about 30% of your platoon is slacking, thats when the other 70% come together and make the marine corps what it is today.

PooleeGewarges
03-06-11, 07:18 AM
Marines at our station will usually give us a REALITY CHECK. What does this mean? One dya we will pt to death, just absolute killing our bodies. Two people puking, many people feeling the need to faint (Drink your @&$% water!) stuff like that. Then when we formate into columns to hear what a recruiter has to say, they would say stuff like, "What you just went through, is 10X worse in boot camp," or "This is not even close to what you will recieve in recruit training," The first time that happened to me, I was scared ****less. :sick:

I had to bust my ass in pt to get physically and mentally tough. Yet when we recieve letters from recruits who are in boot camp, they would write stuff like, "What ever you poolees are doing in pt will not help you at all in boot camp," This was coming from the previous guide in our station before I got it, and this guy was a monster!

ImpatientPoolee
03-06-11, 10:51 AM
Marines at our station will usually give us a REALITY CHECK. What does this mean? One dya we will pt to death, just absolute killing our bodies. Two people puking, many people feeling the need to faint (Drink your @&$% water!) stuff like that. Then when we formate into columns to hear what a recruiter has to say, they would say stuff like, "What you just went through, is 10X worse in boot camp," or "This is not even close to what you will recieve in recruit training," The first time that happened to me, I was scared ****less. :sick:

I had to bust my ass in pt to get physically and mentally tough. Yet when we recieve letters from recruits who are in boot camp, they would write stuff like, "What ever you poolees are doing in pt will not help you at all in boot camp," This was coming from the previous guide in our station before I got it, and this guy was a monster!

Well from what I've heard brother, the physical part of bootcamp isn't NEARLY what it used to be. If you can run your 3 miles, and put out- you'll be fine. The guide was probably talking about the mental aspect, you know getting "****ed" with constantly- that's something you can't prepare for at all.

We better not post a new thread though or the Marines will be on our asses. :mad:

IHaveEGA843
03-06-11, 04:11 PM
^^^^The Marines made a thread in the Open Squad Bay. The newer Marines there even say it isn't as physical as they thought it would be.

We wont know until we get there but all we can do is get into basic shape for it.

PooleeGewarges
03-06-11, 07:02 PM
Either way, I am sure it will be one of the most hardest things I would ever do in my life, apart from after boot camp. I am usually scared ****less of my recruiters when I mess up at pt, so god imagine the Drill Instructors. :evilgrin::!:

And I am still going to be nervous like a bag of kittens the day before I ship.

mattraburn
03-06-11, 07:25 PM
My first poolee function was saturday. i ran the 1.5 and felt like i was gonna die. i got a 10:20 did 7 pullups and 62 crunches. i thought i was in reasonable shape, but the ist kicked my butt. Maj. P. B. Byrne was there and was talking to us. I locked my knees trying to stand as straight as i could, and i blacked out along with 2 other guys in the dep with me. it was embarrassing. but i have motivation now. i dont wanna settle for anything short of fastest or strongest in my dep group.

IHaveEGA843
03-06-11, 08:51 PM
Get you some of that hurt new Poolee! Congrats on choosing the military/Marine Corps as your futuree employer.

Nice numbers bro, you'll do fine but don't stop there.....CONTINUE TO PUSH!!! Never settle bro!

I know I'll still be nervous with the "oh ****......what's next." I think nobody really wants to go there and be like man it wasn't **** so you take the competitive edge males usually have and amp it up. If you continue to excel then it will be hard for you to go from running 3 miles fro 20 to 18 min. That's a challenge in itself.

Oh yea, you never lock your knees hence when standing at attention your knees are slightly bent.

Taviah
03-06-11, 09:07 PM
I smoked a smoked before and after my 1.5, maybe not a good idea, but oh well. Gonna be nice dropping 5000-6000 feet elevation and not smoking anymore.

DGarmo
03-06-11, 10:16 PM
This is one motivating ass thread. I do think that Poolees on this website are more motivated because I'm sure the USMC is always on your mind. Every little thing I do, I think to myself, is this going to help me or not for RT? Cheers brothers keep it up

ImpatientPoolee
03-06-11, 11:37 PM
This is one motivating ass thread. I do think that Poolees on this website are more motivated because I'm sure the USMC is always on your mind. Every little thing I do, I think to myself, is this going to help me or not for RT? Cheers brothers keep it up

WHAT'S THAT SOUND THE SPARTANS MADE DURING THE MOVIE '300'?

AWEROO!
AWEROO!
AWEROO!

MAMMA MAMMA DON'T YOU CRY [MAMMA MAMMA DON'T YOU CRY]
MARINE CORPS MOTTO IS DO OR DIE!!

IHaveEGA843
03-07-11, 06:03 AM
This thread is motivating because you actually see people giving active advice to each other.

Regardless of the *newer* RT PT remarks there's still advice in keeping the idea of always doing your best instead of the bare minimum to scoot right throught RT.

You never heard your Recruiters say, "I know that 2 is the IST minimum but your ass better give me 5!" If someone can only do 2 and they push out 4 thats them putting out.

Regardless of how you see it bro, all of us try to motivate each other on here

IHaveEGA843
03-07-11, 06:05 AM
Here's the discussion the Marines are having about boot camp then and now.....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102216

Read it for yourselves but like one Marine said, " Regardless of how the standards are now our boys are whooping ass and taking names in Afghan!"

kjohnson8824
03-07-11, 10:15 AM
I'm sure that if you just PT at a mediocre pace and just try to get through the session, you will say "oh that's not as bad as I thought" But I guarantee you that If your putting out 110 percent and actually pushing your limits, Its going to be rough, EVEN if you are a high PFTer.

I score around 275 on the PFT and I wouldn't exactly say PT sessions are a cake walk since you can always go faster and harder.

PooleeGewarges
03-07-11, 02:10 PM
Here's the discussion the Marines are having about boot camp then and now.....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102216

Read it for yourselves but like one Marine said, " Regardless of how the standards are now our boys are whooping ass and taking names in Afghan!"

Amazing! I do respect the "old Marines highly, and the present Marines just the same. I am sure that recruit training will still have an amazing impact on me, and scare me ****less.

ChrrySkoal
03-08-11, 06:57 AM
DEP is not only to just better all of ourselves individually but also to forge leadership skills and this Poolee thinks a great leader is also a great motivator. You should work with that Poolee and motivate him to better himself!

USMC Infantry
03-08-11, 12:09 PM
wow my RSS only has pool functions once a month > not fair :mad:

ImpatientPoolee
03-08-11, 12:47 PM
A typical RSS should have PT once a week (mine are on Thursday) and some kind of "get together" once a month on top of the PT. Those pool functions could be an IST, a freakin' picnic, or more PT- it all depends.

PooleeGewarges
03-08-11, 06:27 PM
Mine are three days a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And a poolee function the second saturday of the month. We have PT two days a week now due to school and bad winter, but that will surely change back to three days in April perhaps.

Domc
03-08-11, 10:20 PM
Same as above except we have PT 3 days a week, Tues-Thurs and every 2nd Saturday of the month.

IHaveEGA843
03-09-11, 05:43 AM
We have the mandatory PT IST functions on every first saturday of the month. Then PT on thursday afternoons which nobody goes to besides those waiting to DEP in.

IHaveEGA843
03-17-11, 05:45 AM
Had to bring this thread back to give a little whine out....

So tell me why I went into the RS someday last week and the younger Poolees came at me with,"Come on and get some of these pull ups!!!!" Well I said ok but lemme weigh myself right quick so I came back ready to go and they had this big ass rubber band wrapped around the bar. I was like,"what the **** is that?" and they said, "oh we put that there to REDUCE THE PAIN THAT COMES FROM THE BAR." I was like seriously.....I said do you think they will have that at boot camp man? Yea its hurts but let the skin toughen up because its to soft. So they take it off and have it hanging from the bar and I'm like what is that for now. This guy had the balls to tell me, "Oh well its for people who need ASSISTANCE while they do pull ups." I said man I dont need that ****. I know their looking at my size and figured I can't do them so I had to prove them wrong. So I hop on the bar and I do my pull ups with palms facing out but a little wide. So as Im pumping them out their counting and saying damn I CANT DO PULL UPS LIKE THAT meaning they can't do the actual pull ups but they do CHIN UPS which is easier for me but more uncomfortable because I'm use to having my palms facing out instead of facing in.

Heres the **** now......

So they get up on the bar and try to do pull ups like I did it. THEY COULDN'T EVEN DO THEM!!!!! I'm like you guys tried to play me but you cant even do the PROPER PULL UP but do CHIN UPS instead.

That **** had me shaking my head really. From complaing about the calisus *sp?* to can't even pump out 5 proper pull ups. I'm lifting up 225-230 and their lifting ATLEAST 150-180. I get from 8-10 now at my current weight but do you know how many I could do if I was their weight?!?!?!?! Dammit man......

*****ing done....

PooleeGewarges
03-17-11, 09:02 AM
Had to bring this thread back to give a little whine out....

So tell me why I went into the RS someday last week and the younger Poolees came at me with,"Come on and get some of these pull ups!!!!" Well I said ok but lemme weigh myself right quick so I came back ready to go and they had this big ass rubber band wrapped around the bar. I was like,"what the **** is that?" and they said, "oh we put that there to REDUCE THE PAIN THAT COMES FROM THE BAR." I was like seriously.....I said do you think they will have that at boot camp man? Yea its hurts but let the skin toughen up because its to soft. So they take it off and have it hanging from the bar and I'm like what is that for now. This guy had the balls to tell me, "Oh well its for people who need ASSISTANCE while they do pull ups." I said man I dont need that ****. I know their looking at my size and figured I can't do them so I had to prove them wrong. So I hop on the bar and I do my pull ups with palms facing out but a little wide. So as Im pumping them out their counting and saying damn I CANT DO PULL UPS LIKE THAT meaning they can't do the actual pull ups but they do CHIN UPS which is easier for me but more uncomfortable because I'm use to having my palms facing out instead of facing in.

Heres the **** now......

So they get up on the bar and try to do pull ups like I did it. THEY COULDN'T EVEN DO THEM!!!!! I'm like you guys tried to play me but you cant even do the PROPER PULL UP but do CHIN UPS instead.

That **** had me shaking my head really. From complaing about the calisus *sp?* to can't even pump out 5 proper pull ups. I'm lifting up 225-230 and their lifting ATLEAST 150-180. I get from 8-10 now at my current weight but do you know how many I could do if I was their weight?!?!?!?! Dammit man......

*****ing done....

You should of been proud of that situation. You can nail those pull ups and they can not and they use the band. :flag:

sdkmcqueen
03-19-11, 04:15 AM
when I went to my first workout I could only do 1 real pull up, about 55 sit ups, and around a 15:50 run. Now I can do 9 palm out pull ups, 81 sit ups, and my 1.5 is around 12:00 to 12:30, (depending on if i ran the day before.) Man I cant tell you how motivated I felt when I realized I was passing the IST!!!! Now I just have to worry about losing 10 pounds before boot. But hey thats 4 and a half months away. I got plenty of time.