PDA

View Full Version : Wake up time

Leather2013
03-04-11, 08:21 AM
Good morning Marines! I have a quick question, i searched the forums and could not find anything with this question. What was the time you woke up in boot-camp. Answers greatly appreciated.

03Mike
03-04-11, 08:45 AM
Most recruits "wake up" sometime during first phase...

Seriously, if you're asking when reveille is, well, it is exactly 8 hours after the lights go off - to the second. Generally, that's sometime between 0400 and 0600.

Now, that's "lights on" time, not necessarily when you wake up. That'll vary - and I'll let some Marines who've recently graduated from MCRD address that.

Lisa 23
03-04-11, 08:48 AM
Reveille is at zero dark thirty.

I'm sure this has changed some since I was in, but reveille was around 0500-0530 Monday thru Saturday, and Sunday was at 0600.
Then again, it all depends on your Drill Instructors. :evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-04-11, 08:49 AM
Depends when the DI's want to wake your sorry azz up, Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
03-04-11, 08:51 AM
Reveille is at zero dark thirty.

I'm sure this has changed some since I was in, but reveille was around 0500-0530 Monday thru Saturday, and Sunday was at 0600.
Then again, it all depends on your Drill Instructors. :evilgrin:
Lisa 0600 would be sleeping in, never happened in my time,lol, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Leather2013
03-04-11, 04:56 PM
Thank you all. I have also heard it depends on you DI but I didn't know for sure.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-11, 08:06 PM
Actualy it depends on the training schedule. Some days it's earlier, others it's later.

advanced
03-05-11, 07:25 AM
Didn't we get to sleep in till 9am on Sunday's and holidays?

SGT7477
03-05-11, 09:45 AM
If you happened to be in the army, Semper Fidelis.:D

Wyoming
03-05-11, 10:38 AM

Us Wingers did.

****ed Mongoose off to no end.:banana:

Marine84
03-05-11, 11:53 AM
I don't know what Wing you were in but, the one I was in had muster at 0700 Monday - Friday.

Tennessee Top
03-05-11, 11:56 AM
All I remember is it was dark outside and it seemed to me the lights just went out. There were no clocks or watches to look at and aluminum trash cans were flying down the middle of the squadbay...another glorious day at MCRD San Diego!

Swampfox
03-05-11, 01:00 PM
All I remember is it was dark outside and it seemed to me the lights just went out. There were no clocks or watches to look at and aluminum trash cans were flying down the middle of the squadbay...another glorious day at MCRD San Diego!

Love this!! Now that you mention it though...I don't recall there being any clocks on the walls of the squadbay and we certainly didn't wear watches at MCRD. I don't remember ever having any concept of what time it was or even caring for that matter. In Recruit Training you have much, much, much more to worry about than the time.

MarinesFTW
03-05-11, 02:51 PM
I don't know what Wing you were in but, the one I was in had muster at 0700 Monday - Friday.

My wing musters 0645 Monday-Friday.

At boot camp, your time is morning chow, afternoon chow, evening chow, and lights. Lights is at 2100-0500. Thats without fire watch or having "missions" to accomplish that night. You will learn that you can function on very little sleep. In all honesty, I havn't slept as much as I did in boot camp since. MCT you go to sleep 22-2300 and wake up at 0300-0430. I have a question for the OP. Why does it matter? I researched the Marine Corps until no tomorrow before I joined and this was a question that NEVER came up to my mind. Maybe I didn't think it was important, but then again, I was right.

wilsontc11
03-05-11, 06:16 PM
0400 every day. You get some extra time sometimes on Sundays. After the crucible, you only get like 6 hours of sleep a night (You go to sleep at around 2200 instead of 2000).

dont worry, thanks to the mothers of america you will get your 8 hours of sleep, 7 hours when you have firewatch

micarr57
03-05-11, 07:19 PM
i don't know an exact time but i do know it was about 5 seconds after the static started before revelie

crazymjb
03-07-11, 10:57 PM
Your counting off no longer than 10 seconds after 4AM. If you go over the summer it will really mess with you as you "go to bed" when it is still light out and wake up when it is dark.

Mike

Apache
03-08-11, 08:02 AM
Have no clue as to time
Safe statement it seems like a few minutes after they put your sorry
Butt in the rack
Don't like it? Just tell your kill hat he'll take care of it for you

sparkie
03-08-11, 11:14 AM
Only thing I can remember is telling time by my stomach. The rest was a blur.

USNAviator
03-08-11, 11:26 AM
Just ask the DI, yes, and say, Sir, this private needs JUST a coupla more minutes, Sir, and that request is granted, nine times out of ten.

Now Dave you shouldn't be trying to fool the lad, I've heard it's actually seven out of ten

DrZ
03-08-11, 01:47 PM
Whatever time that big freaking alarm clock walking around with the Smokey and the chevrons started yelling. I think it was about 5 minutes after I closed my eyes.

USNAviator
03-08-11, 02:34 PM
The DIs are pretty understanding, Dan, they don't believe in that hazing crap we went through, things have changed. The night before, you simply write out your breakfast menu wishes, then at reveille, you bang on the DIs hatch, saying Sir, the Private's breakfast order is done, SIR!
This is NOT steering future recruits in the wrong direction, Dan, or is it?
We've seen thread after thread about how easy boot camp is nowadays, so I figured.......

Dave

That sounds a lot like it was at Quantico. Except we didn't have to pound on anyone's hatch. They sent around a LCpl to collect our breakfast orders. But we had to be out of the rack so the maids could make them up. It was nice after a tough afternoon of golf to grab a nap in a nice clean rack

afraziaaaa
03-08-11, 04:35 PM
The DIs are pretty understanding, Dan, they don't believe in that hazing crap we went through, things have changed. The night before, you simply write out your breakfast menu wishes, then at reveille, you bang on the DIs hatch, saying Sir, the Private's breakfast order is done, SIR!
This is NOT steering future recruits in the wrong direction, Dan, or is it?
We've seen thread after thread about how easy boot camp is nowadays, so I figured.......

Lol.

I woke up when my drill instructors told me to wake up. Why is this even a concern?

Yonkers
03-08-11, 04:57 PM
As a person said, I "woke up" as in started getting better after first phase... thats when you start to not worry about what you're told you just do it...

Discipline is: "The instant willing obedience to all orders, respect for authority, self reliance, and teamwork, sir!"

The actual waking up process was anywhere from 0300 to 0400... depending on how much of a heavy sleeper you are you may not hear firewatch yelling "15 minutes to lights 15 minutes to lights 15 minutes to lights"

BadAce2212
03-08-11, 05:40 PM
When I was on the island reveille was 0400 and 0500 on Sundays. Now thats not solid, some days if we had ****ed SDI off the day before we awoke early to play a few "games" in the sand. But you never really know what time it is and really you dont care. Mail,Chow, and free time are your concerns.

Leather2013
03-09-11, 08:14 AM
When I was on the island reveille was 0400 and 0500 on Sundays. Now thats not solid, some days if we had ****ed SDI off the day before we awoke early to play a few "games" in the sand. But you never really know what time it is and really you dont care. Mail,Chow, and free time are your concerns.

When did you go?

Lisa 23
03-09-11, 08:24 AM
Leather.......BadAce2212's profile has his graduation date from boot camp 9 June, 2007.

Leather2013
03-10-11, 08:15 AM
Thank you ma'am this poolee did not think to look at that, because some members do not fill the profile out.

Lisa 23
03-10-11, 08:29 AM
Thank you ma'am this poolee did not think to look at that, because some members do not fill the profile out.

No problem Leather. :thumbup:

Pinstriper
03-10-11, 08:48 AM
This is a quote from my Son who was at MCRD Parris Island. When I asked what time you had to get up everyday...."When our Hats came in screaming..."

Leather2013
03-11-11, 08:16 AM
This is a quote from my Son who was at MCRD Parris Island. When I asked what time you had to get up everyday...."When our Hats came in screaming..."

Nice way to put it, Thank you.

UMDStudent24
03-15-11, 09:14 PM
Sir, you forgot to mention the long relaxing showers that we were allowed after our morning yoga classes.

Dave

That sounds a lot like it was at Quantico. Except we didn't have to pound on anyone's hatch. They sent around a LCpl to collect our breakfast orders. But we had to be out of the rack so the maids could make them up. It was nice after a tough afternoon of golf to grab a nap in a nice clean rack

Quinbo
03-15-11, 11:13 PM
The only way we had any clue what time we were waking up was when you heard the firewatch bang on the duty hut hatch and shout "Sir the time on deck is 0430". You knew that in a half hour we would be getting up.

There was a rule back then and maybe still exists. No green revellie ..... meaning everyone (except firewatch) will be under the blankets wearing boxers shorts and a t-shirt when the lights come one. The last firewatch in the morning was usually our guide and this gave him a chance to make his rack and be dressed prior to revellie. By third faze you or at least I did woke up before revellie every morning and just layed there waiting for the lights to come on. There were a few times when we were farwarned the night before that revellie is at 0530 and chow is at 0540. No matter what state of dress you were in we got right face about 2 minutes after revillie and you finished getting dressed on the way to chow LOL.

Anyway I think it was 05 or 0530 and we did get an extra half hour on Sundays in 1985. When they took us to pendleton all bets were off and some nights you were lucky to get a full hours sleep.

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 02:26 PM
'S**tcan revellie' (sic) was 0400. S**t, shower, shave & shine. PT. Go to chow. PT, drill, get 'thumped'. Sweat. Go to chow. Drill, PT, get 'thumped'. Free time...clean rifle, square your gear away, asked by DI, "Who didn't get 'thumped' today"? Hit the rack...."Good night Chesty, where ever you're at". "Ready..SLEEP". Lights out.
HIP

USNAviator
03-16-11, 03:25 PM
Sir, you forgot to mention the long relaxing showers that we were allowed after our morning yoga classes.

Your right Lt. but when I was there yoga wasn't the in thing, we had transcendental meditation. I tell you, some of those TM session were tough. It was a pleasure to get a rub down and hit the showers. One other thing, do you remember the Sunday afternoon tea dances?