PDA

View Full Version : Do I get a say in what I get assigned as a 03xx?

Spartacus5405
03-02-11, 06:59 PM
Hello Marines,
I am currently in DEP open contract and im going to go change my MOS this week. As far as I know, I want Infantry. My recruiter has been pointing out me picking a Cryptologist or an Electronics Maintanance guy or an Airplane Mechanic because I scored a 80 on my ASVAB. I don't want any of those I want to be in Infantry but do I get to have a say in what I get? I've been reading about all the jobs in 03xx and I for sure don't want to be a combat engineer or mortarman/artillery. I have high ambitions to be in RECON or a Sniper. I know some Marines will tell me I must make it to boot camp first and how I shouldnt even think of anything else but boot camp and making it for now but I just want to know: will I be able to or will they put me in a different job like Anti-tank Assaultman 0352 (requires gt score of 100 as compared to other jobs which require less of a gt score)?

Devil1087
03-02-11, 07:01 PM
voluntold, don't be 0351 if you want to ever see E-4...

Spartacus5405
03-02-11, 07:02 PM
Also, my recruiter told me that it would be easier (not easy) to make a lateral move into Recon from communications as opposed to Infantry, can a Marine verify that?

Spartacus5405
03-02-11, 07:03 PM

what do you mean by that sir?

Marine84
03-02-11, 08:41 PM
Why does EVERYBODY want to go Infantry? Is it because of some pre-conceived notion of what Infantry really is? There are a kazillion other jobs! Jobs that will let you have somewhat of a good quality of life while you're working off your contract!

Infantry has GOT to be THE worse job in the whole wide Corps! AND it's an even WORSE (as if it couldn't be bad enough already) if you're in during peacetime because you got a lot of time to do all of that fun field training stuff that Grunts luuuuuuuuv to do. And it ain't fun from what I hear - I know I wouldn't want to do it!

Why is it that any of you don't want to do anything other than Infantry?

TunTvrnWarrior
03-02-11, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Devil1087 http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=743408#post743408)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/spacer.gif

what do you mean by that sir?

The promotion to NCO is essentially frozen in that field. Too many NCO's. So a good chance you would stay LCPL (E-3) your whole time. Spartacus, keep an open mind. Ask your recruiter what is the promotion potential in each field you are looking at. Also, ask yourself what MOS will pay you good money on the civilian side once you get out if you decide to do so.

GunRun
03-02-11, 09:41 PM
Each class has to dish out a specific number of Weapon Marines(0331, 0341,0351,0352) each time. The best way to get a spot is to score high on the PFT and the exams you will take during the common skills course. Even if you don't get pick at first, never fear, they always look for volunteers.

And like stated above, going in as an 0351 is almost guaranteed that you will not see Corporal the first four year, both because the cutting score is so ungodly high, ans second because they tend to close down that MOS a lot due to the large amount of NCOS, though you can still get it if you get meritorious, but whatever...

Infantry has GOT to be THE worse job in the whole wide Corps!And it is also the reason this organization has got the god-dammed reputation that it has! All other jobs in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the Infantry! I just won't allow any one to disrespect my MOS like this.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-02-11, 09:47 PM
All other jobs in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the Infantry! I just won't allow any one to disrespect my MOS like this.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

josephd
03-02-11, 10:05 PM
Also, my recruiter told me that it would be easier (not easy) to make a lateral move into Recon from communications as opposed to Infantry, can a Marine verify that?

ummmm NO, getting selected for recon and becoming a recon Marine will be much easier coming from another infantry MOS

chadhertz
03-02-11, 10:50 PM
Why does EVERYBODY want to go Infantry? Is it because of some pre-conceived notion of what Infantry really is? There are a kazillion other jobs! Jobs that will let you have somewhat of a good quality of life while you're working off your contract!

Infantry has GOT to be THE worse job in the whole wide Corps! AND it's an even WORSE (as if it couldn't be bad enough already) if you're in during peacetime because you got a lot of time to do all of that fun field training stuff that Grunts luuuuuuuuv to do. And it ain't fun from what I hear - I know I wouldn't want to do it!

I agree infantry is rough, but if your not a grunt or werent a grunt you shouldnt be talking down upon it. I love my job and I wouldnt do anything else in the Marine Corps, and I take great pride in being one.

GunRun
03-02-11, 11:00 PM
I agree infantry is rough, but if your not a grunt or werent a grunt you shouldnt be talking down upon it. I love my job and I wouldnt do anything else in the Marine Corps, and I take great pride in being one.
Oohrah, Brother, OohRah.

rwest158497
03-03-11, 04:07 AM
I WAS A 0341...........I AGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT 100%......ALL MARINES SHOULD HAVE TO BE A 03XX FOR A WHILE....THE 03XX ARE THE BACK BONE OF THE MARINE CORPS....ALL OTHER MOS SUPPORT THE 03XX MOS......I KNOW EVERY MARINE GO"S THRU ADVANCED INFANTRY TRAINING BUT THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS HOLDING A 03XX MOS.

Marine84
03-03-11, 10:14 AM
You Grunts need to take a freakin' chill pill and back the fk up! I'm NOT talking it down - I had no problem being in the rear with the gear because I helped build the bombs that cover your a$$e$ from the air so that you CAN do your job! I'm GLAD y'all want to do it! I LOVE Grunts but, it IS the dirtiest job. How many times do you guys have to go without showers when you're in the field training? How many times have you not gotten to eat? Or even drink a beer? How many times have you had to turn down a "slice" because you had to go out to the field to do something that you thought was just too stupid for words cause you've already done it 500 times already.

A lot of these kids come in here thinking the REAL DEAL is going to be like some Play Station trash that they play at home and can drop when they get good and ready.

Marine3451
03-03-11, 10:20 AM
Let me stop all you LCpl's in your tracks. Not every MOS in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the infantry. You need to drop the notion that infantry is god and everyone else is your humble servants. I have not once provided any support to the infantry in the 3 and a half year i've been in. Let me give you some more examples. The messman working at the base chow hall... not supporting the infantry unless the get deployed and then maybe they get attached to the infantry but then again they might not. the base PAO....Not supporting the infantry. PMO not supporting the infantry. I could go on all day but I think I made my point that it is not the purpose of every other MOS to support the infantry. But whatever your want tell yourself to make yourself feel better while your NCO's are playing mind games with you.

Silentwarrior17
03-03-11, 11:28 AM
Whatever way you want to split it, every MOS supports ground troup operations. You mention messmen. While directly supporting, no. But who else is going to feed the wingers, admin, supply and every other mos that is in direct support of the 03xx. Every single entity of the Marine Corps is there for the sole purpose of supporting 03xx in one way, shape, or form. Now that being said, I am not about to bash on any other MOS so don't take this as that. While we are all Marines, grunts are just a different breed altogether. As stated above, if you weren't in it, you don't get it. Grunts are just of a different mind set and that is just that. I could prob figure out a whole handful of MOS's and get the task done. I doubt very few could step into a grunt unit and thrive. So you can tell yourself whatever you want to. We'll keep fighting the war.

03Mike
03-03-11, 12:04 PM
Why does EVERYBODY want to go Infantry? Is it because of some pre-conceived notion of what Infantry really is? There are a kazillion other jobs!

Brother, because there aren't any cool characters in Call of Duty performing combat support or combat service support. That's why everyone wants to be a MARSOC-recon-force recon-sniper before they even step on the yellow footprints.

Naturally, I have an affinity for infantry Marines and don't understand why so many wannabes want to go recon rather than being straight leg grunts where all the work is actually done.

All this nonsense about all non-infantry MOS's being "infantry support" gets a little tiresome. The mission of the Marine Corps is to provide an amphibious and expeditionary capability to help win our nation's wars. That requires every MOS we have. I like to draw an analogy to a car. The combat arms MOS's would be the engine - a nice throaty high horsepower V8 - let's just say for fun, that comm Marines are the transmission -- engine won't do much without the transmission. Then let's say that the LSB Marines are the tires - transmission and engine won't do much without tires. Then let's say that the Admin Marines are the axels - tires aren't any good without axels. Supply Marines are the gas tank, and Landing Support Battalion is the fuel line. I could go on and on, but I think that by now even the most dense wannabe can get the picture.

Someone above said that they think every Marine ought to do a grunt tour - not a bad idea, but let's take it full circle. If we do that, I think every infantry Marine ought to do a tour in a service support group billet / MOS.

Not every Marine in any MOS is essential - but they ought to be. Heaven knows all us grunts have had to deal with Marines who had no business being in the infantry - and this nonsense about "infantry vs. infantry support" is exactly that - nonsense.

Spartacus5405
03-03-11, 04:31 PM
Whatever way you want to split it, every MOS supports ground troup operations. You mention messmen. While directly supporting, no. But who else is going to feed the wingers, admin, supply and every other mos that is in direct support of the 03xx. Every single entity of the Marine Corps is there for the sole purpose of supporting 03xx in one way, shape, or form. Now that being said, I am not about to bash on any other MOS so don't take this as that. While we are all Marines, grunts are just a different breed altogether. As stated above, if you weren't in it, you don't get it. Grunts are just of a different mind set and that is just that. I could prob figure out a whole handful of MOS's and get the task done. I doubt very few could step into a grunt unit and thrive. So you can tell yourself whatever you want to. We'll keep fighting the war.

Damn sir, you put that guy in his place. I'm going Infantry for sure.

Lisa 23
03-03-11, 04:40 PM

Spartacus5405
03-03-11, 08:20 PM

what is it you would like to add, m'am?

Lisa 23
03-03-11, 08:32 PM
what is it you would like to add, m'am?

Nothing.

Silentwarrior17
03-03-11, 11:34 PM
Spartacus don't just base your decision off what I posted as. I am a bit partial to 03xx. My post had more to do with someone calling out LCPL's when they themselves don't have a freaking clue what they are talking about. I will never mince words, but don't take what I said as a bashing to any other MOS. I have a decent amount of friends that are a different MOS. EVERY MOS is important, but I just can't stand it when people open their soup cooler on something they know nothing about and have never seen through our eyes.

Spartacus5405
03-04-11, 01:22 AM
Spartacus don't just base your decision off what I posted as. I am a bit partial to 03xx. My post had more to do with someone calling out LCPL's when they themselves don't have a freaking clue what they are talking about. I will never mince words, but don't take what I said as a bashing to any other MOS. I have a decent amount of friends that are a different MOS. EVERY MOS is important, but I just can't stand it when people open their soup cooler on something they know nothing about and have never seen through our eyes.

Yes sir and I would also like to shake your hand (virtually) because I admire you and respect you and your role in the Corps. I want to be just like you sir and I appreciate you helping me find my MOS (infantry)

rwest158497
03-04-11, 01:58 AM
Let me stop all you LCpl's in your tracks. Not every MOS in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the infantry. You need to drop the notion that infantry is god and everyone else is your humble servants. I have not once provided any support to the infantry in the 3 and a half year i've been in. Let me give you some more examples. The messman working at the base chow hall... not supporting the infantry unless the get deployed and then maybe they get attached to the infantry but then again they might not. the base PAO....Not supporting the infantry. PMO not supporting the infantry. I could go on all day but I think I made my point that it is not the purpose of every other MOS to support the infantry. But whatever your want tell yourself to make yourself feel better while your NCO's are playing mind games with you.
THE ONLY NCO"S I EVER HAD PLAY MIND GAMES WITH ME WERE DI"S AND THAT WAS THERE JOB. ALSO WHAT DOES BEING A L/CPL HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? ONCE AGAIN ALL MOS SUPPORT INFANTRY IN SOME WAY SHAPE OR FORM. ITS TRUE......03XX THE BACKBONE OF THE MARINE CORPS.

Tennessee Top
03-04-11, 02:43 AM
You all sound like a bunch of girls. Why can't you just respect one another as fellow Marines for crying out loud and secure the MOS bashing. Save all this hatred for our enemies. We all have our jobs to do; some may seem more important than others but they all serve their purpose. We are a Corps of Marines and should be united in our brotherhood; not seeing what we can do to tear each other down.

Some of you have written some downright disrespectful things directed at other Marines. Shame on you. Have you forgotten what if felt like when you earned your EGA and the first time someone called you a Marine? Was anything more important at that moment? It's easy to belittle others and try to make yourself appear more important than you really are.

I can't do it here. But if I were your Top, and heard this kind of hatred and disrespect within the ranks, there would be some serious counselling going on and it would stop...today.

You don't have to agree with your fellow Marines...but at least demonstrate some common courtesy and show a little class people!

rwest158497
03-04-11, 04:39 AM
You all sound like a bunch of girls. Why can't you just respect one another as fellow Marines for crying out loud and secure the MOS bashing. Save all this hatred for our enemies. We all have our jobs to do; some may seem more important than others but they all serve their purpose. We are a Corps of Marines and should be united in our brotherhood; not seeing what we can do to tear each other down.

Some of you have written some downright disrespectful things directed at other Marines. Shame on you. Have you forgotten what if felt like when you earned your EGA and the first time someone called you a Marine? Was anything more important at that moment? It's easy to belittle others and try to make yourself appear more important than you really are.

I can't do it here. But if I were your Top, and heard this kind of hatred and disrespect within the ranks, there would be some serious counselling going on and it would stop...today.

You don't have to agree with your fellow Marines...but at least demonstrate some common courtesy and show a little class people!
TOP, IT"S NOT A MATTER OF DISRESPECT. I HAVE ALSO HELD A 3521 MOS IN MACS-2 MOTOR POOL AND I HAVE SEEN BOTH SIDES. LOT"S OF MARINES THINK GRUNTS ARE JUST STUPID AND CANT DO ANY OTHER JOB. THAT IS NOT TRUE. MANY MARINES CHOOSE 03XX MOS BY CHOICE SOME DO NOT. I DO NOT LOOK DOWN ON ANY MOS IN THE MARINE CORPS BECAUSE I KNOW THERE ALL IMPORTANT AND NEED TO BE DONE THE BEST THEY CAN. I ALSO UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE YOUR FRUSTRATION AT THIS POST.. WERE ALL MARINES AND WE SHOULD ACT AS SO.

Marine3451
03-04-11, 10:27 AM
And it is also the reason this organization has got the god-dammed reputation that it has! All other jobs in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the Infantry! .

My last posting was a direct result of this posting. Note he said sole purpose and thats simply not true. Yes of course in one aspect or another I could trace everything back to the infantry even though we dont always send ground troops into every situation. The thing that will **** me off quicker than anything is any Marine trying to submit the he's superior due to his Mos. And wondering why I was only address LCpl's.. Look back and you'll see that they where the only one posting about how great they are. But with that being said we shouldn't argue amoungst ourselves in front of poolees. My last post may of been inappropriate in a poolee forum but so was all the LCpls and the Sgt's

Silentwarrior17
03-04-11, 10:41 AM
I'm going to speak my mind regardless of where I am. In saying that though, I in no way think I am God's gift the Maine Corps. No Marine is superior due to MOS. I realize a bit where you are coming from, because (weither people admit it or not) there is and always will be a rift between grunts and other MOS's. I look at it as two brothers always fighting but in the end we all know we would be there for eachother in a heartbeat. I look down on no MOS and I have tried to explain that through my post. I will always be partial to 03xx and that is just how it will always be for me. S/F

chadhertz
03-04-11, 11:33 AM
My last post may of been inappropriate in a poolee forum but so was all the LCpls and the Sgt's

I have no idea what part of my post was inappropriate, so please enlighten me..

Marine3451
03-04-11, 11:36 AM
I'm going to speak my mind regardless of where I am. In saying that though, I in no way think I am God's gift the Maine Corps. No Marine is superior due to MOS. I realize a bit where you are coming from, because (weither people admit it or not) there is and always will be a rift between grunts and other MOS's. I look at it as two brothers always fighting but in the end we all know we would be there for eachother in a heartbeat. I look down on no MOS and I have tried to explain that through my post. I will always be partial to 03xx and that is just how it will always be for me. S/F

I completely agree with you

Baker1971
03-04-11, 11:37 AM
For those who wouldn't know respect from disrespect, welcome to 2011

Marine3451
03-04-11, 11:45 AM
I have no idea what part of my post was inappropriate, so please enlighten me..

I really don't have to "enlighten" you but In the spirt of things when i went and reread your last post there was nothing wrong with it but as you know that Marines in a certin rank often times get lumped together. I didnt name anyone nor was I disrespectful of anyone thats a Higher grade than myself. If the shoe fits wear it otherwise dont pay attention but again the ****ing contest that was started before I even made the first post needs to stop now, the Sgt and MSgt are right we are all Marines at the end of the day.

Spartacus5405
03-04-11, 04:57 PM

Hello sir, I would like to point out that the non-Infantry Marines were the ones who started the argument and I feel that the Infantry Marines were only defending themselves. If you see in the 1st page, I was getting Marines tell me how bad 03xx was when it had nothing to do with what I asked as they did not or could not have the answer to my question. Anyways, thank you sir for resolving the issue.

chadhertz
03-04-11, 07:12 PM
Hello sir, I would like to point out that the non-Infantry Marines were the ones who started the argument and I feel that the Infantry Marines were only defending themselves. If you see in the 1st page, I was getting Marines tell me how bad 03xx was when it had nothing to do with what I asked as they did not or could not have the answer to my question. Anyways, thank you sir for resolving the issue.

Word of advice kid, dont ever correct or try to prove a point, or whatever the hell you were trying to do here to a Master Sergeant.

Marine3451
03-04-11, 07:51 PM
Word of advice kid, dont ever correct or try to prove a point, or whatever the hell you were trying to do here to a Master Sergeant.

I agree with the LCpl on this one. No matter what your intentions are if you do that to a MSgt in the fleet no matter where you are you will most likely get your azz chewed starting with the MSgt and just expect an azz chewing right down the line from every rank in your chain after that and an NJP at the end

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-11, 08:11 PM
I grow weary.

Sigh.

Knock off the inter-MOS pizzing contest...ALL of ya. Or this one goes away.

And Spartacus...note the two posts above....and note how quickly ALL the Marines here, 03 and non 03, will climb your frame.

Take a long, hard look at that.

Now, knock off the bilge, the rest of 'ya.

Spartacus5405
03-04-11, 08:36 PM
Oh no my intentions weren't to correct him. Sorry sir if you thought that's what I meant.

Covey_Rider
03-04-11, 08:49 PM
Wow. After reading this whole thread I am thoroughly disgusted. I stopped reading this board because of the melodrama that was constantly occurring here. I thought I would return to see how things were going but I see nothing has changed all too much. Pity.

Spartacus5405
03-04-11, 08:54 PM
Wow. After reading this whole thread I am thoroughly disgusted. I stopped reading this board because of the melodrama that was constantly occurring here. I thought I would return to see how things were going but I see nothing has changed all too much. Pity.

Sorry sir I think it's my fault

wilsontc11
03-05-11, 06:28 PM
No, you don't get a say. Its the needs of the Marine Corps. If you have a decent PFT score, and if your ASVAB is high, and you are a GOOD Marine in ITB, you WILL get 0331,41, or 51. If you want to be a 0311, get it in paper before you sign a contract. or just act like a **** bag in the beginning stages of ITB, then youll be put in 0311