PDA

View Full Version : Intel Deployments and Duration

MunkyVsRobot
03-01-11, 05:09 PM
Hello Marines as some of you who check this section out know I am looking at getting into the Intel field. I am presently married and I am hoping that I can get stationed on the west coast.

The question I am hoping to find the answer to is in the Intel MOS what is the Frequency in which I would be deployed and the duration of said deployment? Is it all based on the Needs of the Corps or how does it usually work?

Thank you Marines in advance for your answers.

Marine84
03-01-11, 06:05 PM
Really sweetie - nobody can answer that. You might get lucky and never have to deploy anywhere. Then again, your name might be pulled for EVERY deployment.

Devil1087
03-01-11, 07:58 PM
Dog, intel goes everywhere in the Marine Corps, if you're deploying with the fleet 7 months just like anywhere else. IIRC intel does work for CENTCOM and other stuff too, so yeah..

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 11:46 PM
Yup. Depends on the unit and when they are next 'in the bucket'. Likely as not, however, you'll first check into a larger headquarters (Group, Division, MEF, etc etc), who will spin you up before they cut you loose on a deployment. That could take a few months or it may be longer...you just won't know. Used to be as soon as you checked in your SNCOIC would ask you when you wanted to 'go out' (within reason) and you could pick from there. May not be that way nowadays.

However, rest assured...you are gonna go.

hussaf
03-02-11, 12:55 AM
Intel MOS's go to every unit, as far as I know. There are also Intel Batallions. 1st and 2d intel bn are the two most delpoyed BNs in the Marine Corps. They are deploying for 12 months, but not everyone is staying the twhole 12 mos.

MunkyVsRobot
03-02-11, 05:57 AM
Thank you Marines, it isnt the deploying thats worrying me or really the duration. I think it is my wife who is more worried than I because she doesnt want to stay home alone for years on end, I am sure most of you married Marines know what I am talking about yes?

Phantom Blooper
03-02-11, 06:47 AM
Both YOU and YOUR SPOUSE have to be on board with each other before you even consider a tour in the Marine Corps.

It has been said that one of the hardest jobs in the Marines is that of a Marine Corps wife.

As far as the deployments.....you have a 50-50 chance of being with a deployable unit.

No one can say for sure until you have earned the title Marine and have been to your MCT and training schools where you will go.

If your marriage is strong it will last......however it also depends on both of you coming to grips that your new job will have the Houdini factor....

One night you maybe home and the next night without little warning you are going to disappear.

But to answer questions about the future and deployments...noone can answer.

Allot of marriages last and allot fail.....to prevent the latter both of you have to come to a positive consensus and then decide what you want to do.....your wife will either endure or not.....but you will have signed a contract and sworn allegiance so you would have to fulfill your duties first and take of the home front also.....

That is one of the reason why the Marines don't promise you a rose garden....because roses although beautiful come with thorns!

Good luck!

Tennessee Top
03-02-11, 11:37 AM
Most women can't or won't be married to a Marine. It takes a very special person and one who is very independent as they could be alone often. My favorite motto for a USMC spouse is "Semper Gumby"...always flexible.

Rule #1 for an active duty spouse: your life will be dictated by the needs of the Marine Corps.

Rule #2: see rule #1.

Half the marriages in our nation fail as I'm sure you're aware. That number goes up in the military for obvious reasons (low pay, frequent separations, high stress, etc.). The number is even higher still in the sea services (USN/USMC) because of the shorter training/deployment cycles. My own marriage did not survive my very first 12 month unaccompanied assignment to Okinawa, Japan. Don't misunderstand; I am not dooming your marriage...just giving my personal perspective. There are also career Marine friends of mine who are still married today.

I know you have talked to your wife. Talk to her again. It is imperative she be prepared to be on her own (mow the lawn, pay the bills on time, balance the checkbook, maintain her vehicle, all those things you normally take care of, etc.). For how long and how often will depend on your unit's mission and how long you remain on active duty.

There is a website called www.recruitparents.com (http://www.recruitparents.com) which has a forum for Marine spouses/girlfriends. There, she can exchange posts with other spouses who are going/gone through the same issues as her. They are very supportive on that website and also provide some resources for spouses.

The west coast is outstanding. I spent a number of years at Camp Pendleton both with fleet and base units. But, my very first permanent duty station was at Camp LeJeune, NC and I enjoyed it there too. It's all what you make it; just try to approach each new assignment with a positive attitude.

I did not have an intell MOS. However, I did get assigned to the J2 Directorate US Central Command in a non-intell billet during the Gulf war and we deployed to the CENTCOM forward-deployed headquarters in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Gen Schwartzkoff's HQ). USCENTCOM is a joint command meaning there are intell-types there from all the service branches (the permanent HQ is located at MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL and may be a potential duty assignment for you). My boss was an Air Force major and I had airmen, soldiers, and three civilians working for me (the civilians did not deploy obviously).

MunkyVsRobot
03-03-11, 08:41 PM
Thank you Marines I appreciate the responses.

Ive been talking to her about it not sure if I am going to end up getting a divorce before I hit boot. We are not exactly in a great spot at the moment. Chances are if she did come we'd end up with the same fate unfortunately.

ETA:
Ill probably be hitting the pool by the end of this month beginning of next month, and hopefully taking my trip to PI around the Oct, November time frame. Unfortunately my recruiters commander says the spring is their slow time as to which they can not recruit a whole lot of people. Also there isnt much available at the moment for jobs.