PDA

View Full Version : Operation Desert Storm Marines

TJinMT
03-01-11, 05:04 PM
Hey there -

I'm a writer in Montana and I'm writing a book. One of the characters is a Marine who was in Desert Storm. I had a few questions, and wondered if anyone from that era could help me out?

1- Would a couple of friends from the same town be able to go through bootcamp together in the "buddy program" - did it exist then? Same MOS, Rifleman.

2 - Would they have been likely to have been assigned to the same platoon afterward?

3 - One of the guys is KIA. The other has some PTSD issues. How "helpful" was the Govt about this issue at that time?

4 - Forgive my ignorance about this, but I understand that 24 Marines were killed during this war. I don't know any details about these Marines. Any idea where I can find some more information?

Thanks guys - I sure appreciate any info.

USNAviator
03-01-11, 05:38 PM
Hey there -

I'm a writer in Montana and I'm writing a book. One of the characters is a Marine who was in Desert Storm. I had a few questions, and wondered if anyone from that era could help me out?

1- Would a couple of friends from the same town be able to go through bootcamp together in the "buddy program" - did it exist then? Same MOS, Rifleman.

2 - Would they have been likely to have been assigned to the same platoon afterward?

3 - One of the guys is KIA. The other has some PTSD issues. How "helpful" was the Govt about this issue at that time?

4 - Forgive my ignorance about this, but I understand that 24 Marines were killed during this war. I don't know any details about these Marines. Any idea where I can find some more information?

Thanks guys - I sure appreciate any info.

Can't help you with your literary aspirations but there were 68 Marine casualties during Desert Storm. 24 by hostile fire and 44 by being MIA or killed by non-hostile sources. If you were in theater and KIA whether by hostile or non-hostile methods, you're just as dead

This is a list of all casualties during Desert Storm

http://www.gulfwarmemorial.com/ods.php

TJinMT
03-01-11, 08:17 PM
Man, I'm sorry. I should have checked that number first - you're right of course, no matter what the cause is, they aren't coming home. I apologize!

Despite my ignorance, I promise I'm not a creep. I was a Marine Corps wife (Reserves) during that timeframe.

This book is very pro-military and pro-USMC. Which is why I wanted to check my facts with the source (you guys)...

Thanks again. TJ

USNAviator
03-01-11, 08:45 PM
Man, I'm sorry. I should have checked that number first - you're right of course, no matter what the cause is, they aren't coming home. I apologize!

Despite my ignorance, I promise I'm not a creep. I was a Marine Corps wife (Reserves) during that timeframe.

This book is very pro-military and pro-USMC. Which is why I wanted to check my facts with the source (you guys)...

Thanks again. TJ

No worries...lol. Just wanted to point out some salient facts most people ignore. In all sincerity, good luck with your book

USNAviator
03-01-11, 08:57 PM
With all due respect, if you seek further info would you kindly fill in your profile? It's sort of a rule around here. Thanks

doc h fmf
03-04-11, 09:10 PM
He Tj Whats Wrong With Interviewing A Desert Storm Corpman.
Cdr How Come You Didnt Send Him My Way> Oh Yeah Fill Out Your Profile And We'll Talk>
Semper Fi And Fare Winds Sir

Stephen Coc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

SundayForever
03-18-11, 07:59 PM

MapleStory Mesos (http://www.buymaplestory.com)
Buy Maplestory Mesos (http://www.buymaplestory.com)
Rift Gold (http://www.zyy.com/gold/Rift-Planes-of-Telara-US-Platinum.html)

Wyoming
03-18-11, 08:50 PM

Yes.

No.

rktect3j
03-18-11, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't normally do this.

I knew one of these Marines.

http://www.1ofthefew.com/casualties.htm

You can maybe contact a few Marines who sponsor this site.

vdcxw356
03-24-11, 03:33 AM
I'm sorry, man

doc h fmf
03-26-11, 09:17 AM
Whats Going On Here With The Desert Storm Situation
Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

alexus
04-08-11, 04:13 AM
I should have checked that number first - you're right of course, no matter what the cause is, they aren't coming home. I apologize!

Sgt Leprechaun
04-11-11, 08:25 PM
10 day ban for no profile. ALSO posting in wrong forum.

ABLER
04-13-11, 02:37 PM
Yes you are right
good post

doc h fmf
04-13-11, 03:53 PM
Abler Please Fill Out Your Profile So I Know Who Iam Giving Information To Thank You

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Sgt Leprechaun
04-15-11, 05:32 PM
Spammer, dumped

devilcop
12-10-11, 01:00 AM
Still looking for your Buddy program information? If so let me know. And I knew fourteen of the Marines who died in Desert Storm all KIA by friendly fire. I was there.