PDA

View Full Version : Going Comm

Barnett20110425
03-01-11, 03:08 PM
Good Afternoon Marines.
I got word from my recruiter that all the jobs on my wish list were closed for my ship date. The choices were Enlisted Air Crew, Infantry, and Arty. I ended up picking Communications. I was sorta bummed when I found out, but then I did some research and saw that Comms is pretty cool. So now I'm shooting to be a field radio operator.

A few questions for you.

1) Where are most FRO's stationed?
2) If an FRO is attached to an infantry unit would they be put through ITB?
3) Is it possible for FRO's to be attached to a Recon unit?
4) If attached to a Recon unit do you go through the specialty schools? (eg. Jump, dive)

5) If there are any current FRO's reading: Is this an enjoyable field for you? Also past FRO's feel free to respond to that question.

Thank you in advance Marines. :flag:

Devil1087
03-01-11, 08:03 PM
You don't really get a choice though, enjoy being a wire dawg...

1. 29 Palms hahahahaha
2. No, you're a POG, 0621s do get attached to Infantry, and some see combat, doesn't mean you have to be a radio ***** though.
3. You need to lat move to be in recon, maybe you could get put in H&S, but I'm pretty sure to serve in Recon you need the 0321 MOS
4. Ask lcpl dunno

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 11:50 PM
It sucked for me but that's just me. Matter of fact I detested the job and got the heck out of it as soon as I could. Again, you might LOVE it (plenty of Marines I know did).

1: Field Radio Operators are stationed...everywhere. SCHOOL is in 29 Palms. They are with the Air Wing, Grunts, Logistics Bn's, etc.

2: No.

3/4: Yes, Recon has it's own radio operators. Yes, you would get extra training for that. However don't expect or plan on this.

5: Answered the above.

Barnett20110425
03-03-11, 12:50 PM
Thank you for your answers Marines.
Whatever job I get I plan on putting everything that I have into it.
If you're not going to have that mind set then it isn't worth doing.