PDA

View Full Version : Marines in Libya?

USNAviator
03-01-11, 12:28 PM
Marines bound for Libya?

More than 200 years ago, Marines made a name for themselves fighting the Barbary pirates at the shores of Tripoli. Could they be returning soon?

The question at least needs to be asked, in light of the Pentagon’s acknowledgement today (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/02/ap-clinton-us-sending-aid-forces-near-libyan-borders-022811/) that they are repositioning naval forces off the coast of Libya — including its capital, Tripoli — as the security situation in the north African country continues to crumble.

Conceptually, it’s a made-for-Marines special if ground operations are deemed necessary. Marine expeditionary units aboard Navy vessels are typically among the first involved in humanitarian operations, evacuations and other actions needed in a crumbling country.

There’s a catch, however.

The nearby 26th MEU, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., already deployed much of its ground combat element — Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines — to Afghanistan in January. There are certainly still able-bodied Marines with the MEU aboard the amphibious assault ship Kearsarge, but the scope of what they can do might be be limited.

Pentagon spokesman Col. David Lapan said the military is repositioning forces to provide flexibility as options are considered, but declined to provide specifics. A spokesman for U.S. Central Command, Army Lt. Col. Mike Lawhorn added similar sentiments.

Let’s not forget the other operations that could be called for, however. If airlifts are needed, there are still plenty of Navy and Marine aviation assets deployed with the Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group. There also are Marines stationed in northern Africa in Djibouti, where Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa is based. Elements of Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 464, out of New River, N.C., are currently based there with CH-53E heavy-lift helicopters.

Tennessee Top
03-01-11, 01:43 PM
I read our embassy was already closed and hopefully, the majority of Americans were able to leave the country by now. With some luck, an evacuation will not be necessary.

Heard on the news today the USAID is organizing humanitarian relief efforts; it's possible our military may get involved with that.

Covey_Rider
03-01-11, 02:02 PM
I don't think it's going to happen. I think that Libya MAY be turned into a bombing campaign and a small special operations mission. Outside of that I don't see regular forces being put on the ground in that country. The citizens would be able to handle things on their own provided we remove the governments mass amounts of armored vehicles and all of their South African guns for hire.

xbsnguy
03-01-11, 04:03 PM
Pardon me Marines -- if I may quickly interject into this discussion with some information, I read that the opposition rebels had set up a "ruling council" to act as government in areas they control and have expressed their wish for "no foreign intervention".

It seems that they wish this revolution to be fought and won by Libyans alone.

I don't know how this will affect our response. Thoughts?

USNAviator
03-01-11, 05:09 PM
Well, it wouldn't be a bad idea, if we want to see how many countries we can be in at any one time. We could try to set a record, I guess, and just hope that not too far down the road another distant land is calling our name.
I think two countries is enough for now, but I may be wrong.

Like maybe North Korea? Or Iran?

Wrench3516
03-01-11, 05:15 PM
:evilgrin:
400 Marines to join Kearsarge near Libya

Marine Corps Times
By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Mar 1, 2011 17:15:49 EST
<FORM id=hidden><INPUT id=url value=http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/military-marines-north-africa-030111w/ type=hidden> </FORM>
The Pentagon is sending an additional 400 Marines to join the amphibious assault ship Kearsarge near North Africa in response to the unrest in Libya, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered the Kearsarge and the amphibious transport dock Ponce to move from the U.S. Central Command region into the Mediterranean Sea to provide the capability for evacuation or humanitarian aid.
“We are obviously looking at a lot of options and contingencies,” Gates said Tuesday at a Pentagon briefing.

U.S. military officials are closely tracking the events in Libya, where armed rebels are clashing with military forces loyal to the Arab nation’s longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi.

Gates downplayed the prospect of military action in Libya, noting that there is no clear support from the United Nations or a consensus among U.S. allies.

The Kearsarge deployed in December with an amphibious readiness group with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, but most of those Marines have deployed to Afghanistan. A spokeswoman for U.S Central Command on Tuesday was unable to say where those additional 400 Marines were coming from.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton suggested officials were considering imposing a no-fly zone over Libya amid reports that Gadhafi was using his air force to bomb rebels.

“No option is off the table. That, of course, includes a no-fly zone,” Clinton said Monday after diplomatic meetings in Switzerland. “Gadhafi has lost the legitimacy to govern and it is time for him to go without further violence or delay.”

But military officials have downplayed the prospect of a no-fly zone.
Marine Gen. James Mattis, CENTCOM commander, told lawmakers during a previously scheduled hearing Tuesday that a no-fly zone would require a full-scale military operation to destroy the Libyan regime’s air defenses.

“No illusion here — it would be a military operation. It wouldn’t be just telling people not to fly airplanes,” Mattis told the Senate Armed Service Committee.
:thumbup:

ShannonL
03-01-11, 11:44 PM
If you guys go there, I wish you all the best! if that place goes then its gonna get real hot real fast.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 11:56 PM
Bet that is a FAST company......

ShannonL
03-02-11, 12:00 AM
Long time!!!...Those Libyans run around like rats...with the gov trying to buy supporters...

wildwoman73
03-02-11, 02:26 AM
Well, it wouldn't be a bad idea, if we want to see how many countries we can be in at any one time. We could try to set a record, I guess, and just hope that not too far down the road another distant land is calling our name.
I think two countries is enough for now, but I may be wrong.
Ya, no kidding...sounds like a perfect set up to me. Let's spread out the US Military in 6 or 7 places and then find some third world country to attack us when our fighters are spread out everywhere except here in the US.

tracs1833
03-02-11, 03:23 AM
Ya, no kidding...sounds like a perfect set up to me. Let's spread out the US Military in 6 or 7 places and then find some third world country to attack us when our fighters are spread out everywhere except here in the US.
And after spreading our forces in as many countries as we can....let's downsize our military!!!!! Will be never learn?? Most of our politicians have the collective IQ of a scallop. Comparing most of our politicians to a bag of rocks is pure libel against said bag of rocks.

ShannonL
03-02-11, 07:50 AM
Well we have a MEC that wanted to probe a lightning strike in kwazulu natal...

"Excuse me God...I have a few questions with regards to your actions on sunday last..."

They are all the same...

0331 2 0369
03-02-11, 08:09 AM

Doesn't look that way right now. A good friend of mine (currently an Ops-O) told me yesterday in a round-about-way, that they are standing up for a Contigency Operation in case they are needed. They will be punching out in the future. No dates will be posted here. Won't give names or unit either. In our own "lingo", he mentioned possible ground Ops but was probably going to just be a show of force type of thing. Either way, he and I go back a long way and he is definitely the right Ops-O for that unit if they go in. Damn fine Officer(mustang) and I would serve with him again in a heart beat.

Fast might play a role in it to but don't think they will be the main effort.

0861Scout
03-03-11, 07:05 PM

From what I'm hearing when 3/8 went to a A'stan a NEO element remained with the vessels.

0331 2 0369
03-04-11, 06:53 AM
From what I'm hearing when 3/8 went to a A'stan a NEO element remained with the vessels.

That is true.... Since the "cats out of the bag" now, I can say 1/2(or parts of it) was sent to the AO also.

civgrunt05
03-04-11, 07:16 AM
Here's an idea:

Let's stay the hell out of it!

I'm far from a Ron Paulian isolationist, but every time the earth trimmors or a regime falls we don't need to be there with guns and or blankets. Let the good for nothing UN do what they are suppose to do.

Wrench3516
03-04-11, 08:47 AM
:evilgrin: "Lima-Charlie"--0331 2 0369..

That is true.... Since the "cats out of the bag" now, I can say 1/2(or parts of it) was sent to the AO also.

According to article in Navy Times, all 400 Marines sent to Kearsarge are from 1/2 at CL..

OLE SARG
03-04-11, 12:31 PM
Here's an idea:

Let's stay the hell out of it!

I'm far from a Ron Paulian isolationist, but every time the earth trimmors or a regime falls we don't need to be there with guns and or blankets. Let the good for nothing UN do what they are suppose to do.

I'm with civgrunt05 on this one. We need to take care of our own and right now we have a lot of people hurting right here in the U. S. AND the un is a fvcking joke and a financial burden on the U. S. taxpayers.

SEMPER FI,

Mongoose
03-04-11, 04:46 PM
All this fvcking chest thumping we do every time another country has an uprising, will come back and haunt us one day. Those countries over there have been fighting each other and among them selves for hundreds of years. Let them kill themselves.

jumpinjack
03-04-11, 05:19 PM
agreed, it's there story...let them work it out for themselves. we need for once take care of our own and keep our nose outta it.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-11, 05:20 PM
Agreed.

Godspeed to those who are ordered there nonetheless.

Carpshooter
03-04-11, 05:57 PM
let them shoot each otherand earn their right to be ,rather have it handed to them , like what's been done in some conflicts ! :)

USNAviator
03-04-11, 06:05 PM
I don't think there are going to be any boots on the ground, I hope not. What you will probably see is a carrier battle group off the coast, protecting humanitarian aid when things settle down

WXSgt
03-05-11, 02:51 PM
If 3/8 are commited and they are bringing others do we have another MEU deployed? ohh ya we do the 13th will be there soon. and I happen to be with them yay

Kegler300
03-05-11, 03:08 PM
If 3/8 are commited and they are bringing others do we have another MEU deployed? ohh ya we do the 13th will be there soon. and I happen to be with them yay

I believe the 26th MEU...

WXSgt
03-05-11, 07:24 PM
I believe the 26th MEU...

the 26th is already there and got extended we have a west coast MEU inbound, the 13th MEU. Im on the ships dont know what were planning but were sailing

USNAviator
03-05-11, 08:15 PM
Latest I've heard from a few buds still active duty, the Enterprise Battle Group is about to take up position off shore, international waters awaiting orders

The Kearsarge LHD-3 will also be stationed in I-Waters if needed. I believe VMM-261 is aboard.

WXSgt
03-05-11, 08:39 PM
right like i said well be near but no clue what were going to do

USNAviator
03-05-11, 08:42 PM
right like i said well be near but no clue what were going to do

You'll do your duty and and do it well Sgt, I'm sure of that

Fair Winds

WXSgt
03-05-11, 09:54 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the words of encouragment. Maybe i could get some fair seas this rocking and rolling is messing with me lol

USNAviator
03-05-11, 10:04 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the words of encouragment. Maybe i could get some fair seas this rocking and rolling is messing with me lol

I'll see what I can do to get you following seas, makes for a calmer journey

Sgt Leprechaun
03-05-11, 10:51 PM
Ohhh, been there, I assure you. Try being in the LFOC of an LPD in the Adriatic in November.

Quinbo
03-05-11, 11:26 PM
I believe that our friend Bugs said his unit was gonna be in that general area.

WXSgt
03-06-11, 12:40 AM
Im with the Boxer Arg but technically im on the Green Bay LPD-20 and yes i work in the LFOC lol. strange coincidence. but ya its typhoon / tropical season over here so itll be fun once we get to the indian ocean

USNAviator
03-06-11, 10:53 AM

This is the guy who is causing all the problems. BTW he's wearing his utilities

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2011/gaddafi_style/gadaffi_style_01.jpg

pnwhite
03-08-11, 04:36 PM
If he's only a "Colonel", I wonder what a general looks like?

WXSgt
03-08-11, 04:38 PM
hes the ruler of the country there are no generals, but that begs the question why not promote himself to general?

foreverproud
03-08-11, 05:48 PM
This is the guy who is causing all the problems. BTW he's wearing his utilities

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2011/gaddafi_style/gadaffi_style_01.jpg

Looking at his picture I'm wanting to laugh hysterically and barf at the same time.

USNAviator
03-08-11, 06:32 PM
Looking at his picture I'm wanting to laugh hysterically and barf at the same time.

Jeanne I know what you mean. I read some where he designs his own uniforms. Who in his country is going to tell him he looks like an a$$?

BTW this is my favorite, an oldie but a goodie

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrCtNPE5lhfzDxPyfFr4f9bYiW7N2m9 DdRJzPglorpWwe1bgaC

Brianhipwell
03-08-11, 07:45 PM
Let's NOT send in the Marines! Let the bastards settle their own problems. Let's go back to securing our border with Mexico. I salute those who haved served and are now serving, of Hispanic origin. But undocumented aliens are a big bust to our welfare system and health care. SPEAK ENGLISH!! We should NOT have to have bilingual forms, signs, driver exams, etc.

Brianhipwell
03-08-11, 07:47 PM
:thumbdown
Let's NOT send in the Marines! Let the bastards settle their own problems. Let's go back to securing our border with Mexico. I salute those who haved served and are now serving, of Hispanic origin. But undocumented aliens are a big bust to our welfare system and health care. SPEAK ENGLISH!! We should NOT have to have bilingual forms, signs, driver exams, etc.

ShannonL
03-08-11, 11:18 PM
I think he might be a closet homo...Takes it out on his people because he doesn't like who his is...

wildwoman73
03-08-11, 11:53 PM
I think he and Carol Burnett design beautiful outfits out of curtains.

ShannonL
03-08-11, 11:55 PM
I think he and Carol Burnett design beautiful outfits out of curtains.

LOL!!!:D

Mwhite732
03-09-11, 12:31 AM
Lcpl. Underground says some of the marines I know are actually going to be there by next month.