PDA

View Full Version : United States Naval Academy

hooeboy
02-28-11, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I've got a few questions about the Naval Academy.

1) I have a 4.0 GPA and am in IB classes. I am in the upper 15% of my class. I am the Varsity Cross Country Captain and run track. I am also a leadership instructor and an Eagle Scout. What are my chances?

2) What are some resume items of those that have been accepted?

3) If anyone here has graduated from the academy, give me some advice please.

03Mike
02-28-11, 07:48 PM
I am not an academy grad, but I have known several.

Your profile is along the lines of what they are looking for... though you don't mention your SAT scores. Generally, they are looking for people who are tops in their class who are also highly involved in their communities. Eagle Scout helps, as does leading your cross country team - they are a good start. What else can you add? Volunteer work? Community service? Participation in church? Summer jobs?

All that counts - also, start early. What year are you in school?

USNAviator
02-28-11, 07:58 PM
Hey guys, I've got a few questions about the Naval Academy.

1) I have a 4.0 GPA and am in IB classes. I am in the upper 15% of my class. I am the Varsity Cross Country Captain and run track. I am also a leadership instructor and an Eagle Scout. What are my chances?

2) What are some resume items of those that have been accepted?

3) If anyone here has graduated from the academy, give me some advice please.

Mike, a fellow Virginian looking to serve. I was on the wait list but I'm talking about the 70's. There is an Academy grad on here, retired Capt. I'll send him a PM and see if he can help you. Have you checked out the USNA website?. Also there are what as referred to as Blue and Gold officers who handle recruiting. I'll assume your a Junior. If your a Senior, the ship has sailed

Tennessee Top
02-28-11, 08:08 PM
Maybe you need to find a Navy forum?

hooeboy
02-28-11, 09:35 PM
Mike, a fellow Virginian looking to serve. I was on the wait list but I'm talking about the 70's. There is an Academy grad on here, retired Capt. I'll send him a PM and see if he can help you. Have you checked out the USNA website?. Also there are what as referred to as Blue and Gold officers who handle recruiting. I'll assume your a Junior. If your a Senior, the ship has sailed
Yes, I would appreciate it if you would PM him for me. I've checked out the websites, but you know how recruiting is. I want some experience to look at.

hooeboy
02-28-11, 09:40 PM
I am not an academy grad, but I have known several.

Your profile is along the lines of what they are looking for... though you don't mention your SAT scores. Generally, they are looking for people who are tops in their class who are also highly involved in their communities. Eagle Scout helps, as does leading your cross country team - they are a good start. What else can you add? Volunteer work? Community service? Participation in church? Summer jobs?

All that counts - also, start early. What year are you in school?
I am a sophomore. I currently have about 250 hours of community service and am working on the Congressional Gold Award. I have also been awarded the scout of the year award. I have not taken the SATs, however, on my PSATs I scored a combined total of 1300 on the reading and math. I work at a Cub Scout Camp during the summer as a life guard. I also serve as a trainer for a Junior Leadership course.

hooeboy
02-28-11, 09:44 PM
Maybe you need to find a Navy forum?
Well, if you know anything about the academy, you would know that the Naval Academy is the service academy for the Navy, as well as the Marine Corp.

USNAviator
02-28-11, 10:02 PM
Well, if you know anything about the academy, you would know that the Naval Academy is the service academy for the Navy, as well as the Marine Corp.

Loose the attitude and show respect.I don't care if you're a friggin Eagle Scout or not, you DO NOT talk like that to anyone on this forum

You think Top knows nothing about being a Marine? Twenty -three years in the Corps, I think he figured out along the way that the Academy produces Marine Officers. Hopefully none with your arrogance

Duty StationsMCRD, San Diego, CA
HqCo, H & S Bn, MCB, Camp LeJeune, NC
HqBn, MCB, Camp Pendleton, CA
Delta Co, 1stCbtEngrBn, 1stMarDiv, FMF, CamPenCa
HqCo, ITS, CamPenCa
MWHS-1, 1stMAW, FMFPac, Okinawa, JA (twice)
I-I Staff, Delta Company, 4thMarDiv, Knoxville, TN
MSG Det Guatemala City, Guatemala (watchstander)
MSG Det Managua, Nicaraugua (watchstander)
MSG Det Port au Prince, Haiti (Det Commander)
MSG Det Sao Paulo, Brazil (Det Commander)
Operations Chief, MSG School, Quantico, VA
SSO Security Chief, J2, USCENTCOM, MacDill AFB FLYear Entered Marine corps1972Year Exited Marine Corps1995Favorite Duty StationAmerican Consulate General, Sao Paulo, BrazilFavorite MarineLtCol Gilford RobinsonWars and conflicts you were in involved in?Iraqi Freedom II

Come back when you've learned when and how to show respect to all on here.

You're dismissed!

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 12:01 AM
Obviously, someone has told you, LAD, that you are special.

Well, you ain't.

Your resume isn't all there is about getting into the academy. Above my posting is somewhere in the neighborhood of about 50 years experience with all things 'academy' and Marine Corps. Why don't you think LONG and hard on that?

Go re-read your 'junior leadership course' training manual, cause you got a case of the 'arrogance'.

Fix it, or your time here will be.....short.

Put THAT on your resume.

Tennessee Top
03-01-11, 08:45 AM
Thank you Commander and Sgt Leprechaun!

Geez, all I did was ask wonder boy a simple question. One would think, the genius would know how to spell Marine Corps but, one would be wrong.

AlohaMarine
03-01-11, 10:59 AM
I knew plenty of IB kids in high school.

That was 4 years ago, most of them bombed out of college despite finishing a full year in high school already. Too busy getting stoned and talking about hippy things to do anything real.

Now I'm a sergeant.

Maybe he was talking about

http://www.amarinecorp.com/

Honestly, I would never go to the USNA just to get hazed for four years and do bull**** dealing with the haircuts, PT, room inspections, and summer "field ops", when I could just go to any university, graduate, attend OCS, and be the same ****ing rank.

Oh wait, that IS what I'm doing. I forgot.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 06:00 PM
Lol.

hooeboy
03-01-11, 08:46 PM
Loose the attitude and show respect.I don't care if you're a friggin Eagle Scout or not, you DO NOT talk like that to anyone on this forum

You think Top knows nothing about being a Marine? Twenty -three years in the Corps, I think he figured out along the way that the Academy produces Marine Officers. Hopefully none with your arrogance

Duty StationsMCRD, San Diego, CA
HqCo, H & S Bn, MCB, Camp LeJeune, NC
HqBn, MCB, Camp Pendleton, CA
Delta Co, 1stCbtEngrBn, 1stMarDiv, FMF, CamPenCa
HqCo, ITS, CamPenCa
MWHS-1, 1stMAW, FMFPac, Okinawa, JA (twice)
I-I Staff, Delta Company, 4thMarDiv, Knoxville, TN
MSG Det Guatemala City, Guatemala (watchstander)
MSG Det Managua, Nicaraugua (watchstander)
MSG Det Port au Prince, Haiti (Det Commander)
MSG Det Sao Paulo, Brazil (Det Commander)
Operations Chief, MSG School, Quantico, VA
SSO Security Chief, J2, USCENTCOM, MacDill AFB FLYear Entered Marine corps1972Year Exited Marine Corps1995Favorite Duty StationAmerican Consulate General, Sao Paulo, BrazilFavorite MarineLtCol Gilford RobinsonWars and conflicts you were in involved in?Iraqi Freedom II

Come back when you've learned when and how to show respect to all on here.

You're dismissed!
Please forgive me for that comment. I did not mean to sound so frank. It was an exhausting day and I was bothered by things I shouldn't speak of on a forum. It was not meant to be directed at Top in any way. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, just exemplify my point that I was not intending on the Navy option. Forgive me for my ignorance.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 09:03 PM
It'll be up to the MSgt.

hooeboy
03-01-11, 09:05 PM
It'll be up to the MSgt.
Fair enough

USNAviator
03-01-11, 09:12 PM
It'll be up to the MSgt.

Agreed, if Top cuts you some slack then I'll help you, if not go somewhere else. One thing you must learn is that a good officer must seek out and listen to his NCO's. They are the backbone of any military organization

hooeboy
03-01-11, 09:18 PM
Agreed, if Top cuts you some slack then I'll help you, if not go somewhere else. One thing you must learn is that a good officer must seek out and listen to his NCO's. They are the backbone of any military organization
That is very good advice. I can tell that you guys have quite a wealth of knowledge and experience under the belt. At Top's discretion, I would gladly take more advice like it. I will humble myself in the future. Ignorance and pride are no excuses for this mistake. I will accept the consequences and respect whatever decision he may make.

Tennessee Top
03-01-11, 10:07 PM
He apologized to me via PM and I accepted his apology.

Believe he learned his lesson and I wish him the best of luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 10:09 PM
And there you have it. Well played MSgt.

USNAviator
03-01-11, 10:13 PM
He apologized to me via PM and I accepted his apology.

Believe he learned his lesson and I wish him the best of luck.

Thanks Top. I had my doubts a son of Virginia could be such a f$ck up...lol

Lesson learned? Keep doing your research. Don't fear bringing any question forward. If we can,we will help

hooeboy
03-02-11, 06:45 AM
Yes, it definitely was a lesson learned. If anybody has any experience to share, stuff a little different than what the blue and gold officers have to share, i would love to hear it. thanks guys