PDA

View Full Version : the plan

MikeW53
02-28-11, 02:01 AM
Going to enlist once eligible in April with an electrician based MOS. But the other half of me wants to enlist in infantry. I am so far leaning to the electrician based MOS because once I am in I will always be able to choose after two years to enter the infantry but I will have a little more experience to back my decision to go in or not to.

Any Marines have input?

Phantom Blooper
02-28-11, 06:25 AM
because once I am in I will always be able to choose after two years to enter the infantry but I will have a little more experience to back my decision to go in or not to.

Make a choice....one or the other and go from there.

I am partial to being a grunt....however the electrical field can potentially prepare you for a good career if you choose to leave the Marines Corps after your initial hitch.

Do not go in thinking that you can lateral move after two years.....technically you can request it.....to lateral move you have allot of variables.

Choose your MOS and if you want to do a MOS change you are probally looking at reenlisting to get an MOS change.....some MOS billets are critical and the only way would be to either want to do it for your time in or do a reenlistment package....close to your EAS.....and request MOS change.

The Marine Corps and government invests allot of monies into training Marines and various MOS schools.....

So it would be best to do research into the field you would like to do....stick with it....learn from it.

In the same token have a backup plan in case of the MOS is full at the time you choose.

Infantry MOS billets are hard to get.

Good luck!

03Mike
02-28-11, 08:48 AM
That's a choice that only you can make. As the Phantom Blooper says, do your research so that you can make an informed decision. No job in the Marine Corps is a cakewalk, but some offer a better life than others.

I too, am partial to being a grunt, but while being an infantryman can be rewarding, but it can be miserable too... and tiring... and painful...

Every MOS contributes to the end goal of fighting and winning wars - that's what Marines do.

So, do your research and figure out why you are attracted to each option - infantry or electrician. Once you understand the "why" part of it, your decision should be easier.

Devil1087
02-28-11, 02:15 PM
Just lat move they said..

MikeW53
03-01-11, 10:48 PM
Thank you.