PDA

View Full Version : A few questions before I visit a recruiter

Feldmann
02-27-11, 10:26 PM
I had a few questions I've done research on but haven't found a definite answer.

I am a dual-citizen, Canadian-American and I am a member of the Canadian army reserves. I understand that I will have to quit the reserves here but how will this effect my application? At what stage in my enrollment do I have to no longer be a member of the Canadian army? I depend on the income I receive from it and I don't want to quit only to find out that I don't make it into the USMC.

How will being a dual citizen and a non U.S. resident effect my enrollment?

How skilled of a swimmer do I have to be? I'm a really lousy swimmer. I can barely, if at all, tread water.

Thanks in advance for any information.

josephd
02-28-11, 12:38 AM
Based on how selective the Marine Corps is being right now due to our numbers, I would say you are going to have a hard time getting in. Being a dual citizen, non-resident, and being a member or another nations armed forces sounds like whole mess of waivers/paperwork that most recruiters don't even want to entertain.

UTexCody
02-28-11, 01:01 AM
My cousin is a dual citizen of the US and Great Britain since my Aunt is British, and under British law, she is considered a British citizen too. She is trying to get a commission as an Officer in the US Coast Guard. She was told by their officer recruiter that she has to renounce her British citizenship in order to gain a commission. She did the research and has to pay the British government over $200.00 to renounce it.

I know the Coast Guard is not the Marine Corps obviously, but it could be similar with the Marines. Also, like I said she is trying to get a commission as an Officer, it may be different for enlisted. Obviously Canada is not Great Britain, so things could be different too. Good luck.

Feldmann
02-28-11, 01:24 AM
How bad is it right now? Are only certain MOS's restricting their recruiting or is it pretty tight all across the board?

I wanted to stay within the combat arms, preferably Infantry or Tank Crewman.

03Mike
02-28-11, 08:29 AM
I served with several dual citizens over the years, but that has no bearing on what your chances are given the anticipated draw down.

As far as the last point you raise in your original post, swimming will be an issue. Marines are, by definition, part of the sea services, so swimming is a requirement. You don't need to be a stud swimmer, but you can't be a rock either. Our current mission in Afghanistan may not have an amphibious component to it, but that doesn't mean that our next operation will be landlocked. Hell, there are thousands of Marines afloat on amphibious ready groups right now.

My point being, even if everything else works out right, the swimming will still be an issue. I'd highly recommend that you take basic swimming lessons before enlisting or shipping to MCRD.

3043pog
02-28-11, 03:41 PM
I went to bootcamp with a Canadian who said he could enlist(U.S) because of his Indian Nation status.I don't know if he was BS'ing or not? Work on the swimming ! Can't swim/can't shoot/can't be a Marine!

Gunz
02-28-11, 04:10 PM
Fill out your profile.

Feldmann
03-01-11, 06:03 PM
I researched the basic swimming requirements and I'm pretty sure I could pass but just to give me that extra bit of skill and confidence in the water I'm heading down to the YMCA down the street to look into a few lessons.

Thanks for the input everyone. Its greatly appreciated.