PDA

View Full Version : Four years and then getting out...

achilles097
02-27-11, 05:27 PM
Marines, I have a question. My family served in the military so growing up I knew a lot of the culture and terminology. I have only been in the DEP close to a month, but the more I learn and read about the Marines from my standpoint, the more I think about making this into a career. I cannot predict what I will think near my EAS either, so I intend to go in with an open mind and re-evaluate in four years. The majority of former or current Marines I have met overseas or stateside were serving or served four years. Some were NCO's and said they had no plans to re-enlist. Why do some Marines serve four years and then get out? I hear some liked it and say they would do it all over again (former Marines), and in the opposite spectrum I hear some hated it and were forced into doing mundane tasks like work parties and "games" and could not wait to separate. I have some friends in the Infantry field, but while they mean well when they say the Marine Corps is "awesome", I probably won't get a straight answer out of them.

I am interested in hearing from you Marines why you decided to get out after 4, 8, or how many years served.

sparkie
02-27-11, 07:19 PM
I got married,,, thus ended that. Did 4, but 1 year gone. She didn't call that cool.

crazymjb
02-27-11, 08:33 PM
It depends. Some have an overall bad experience, but I think most feel rewarded, are happy to have done their time in, and are also happy to not deal with having their lives micromanaged and get out.

You have to understand the Marine Corps is not like any other Job, few want to do it at all, let alone for 20 years. The pay at least to start out isn't great, and there is a lot to put up with especially those first years in. Apart from that, it is still a government organization, and bureaucracy and all it's headaches are in full swing. Some can deal with it, many cannot.

You really won't get it until you try it, and then you will fully understand what I mean.

Mike

Tennessee Top
02-27-11, 09:22 PM
Being a Marine can be a tough life depending on your MOS, duty assignments, deployments, etc. There are a TON of regulations making it easy to slip up and make a costly mistake. The military is not a democracy so many feel their rights have been taken away. There is no time clock; your day does not end at 5pm.

Some would say it gets easier as you pick up rank but with rank comes more responsibility (you are not only responsible for yourself but also those junior to you).

On the other hand, you'll see many stories on this forum about those who got out, got a taste of civilian life, and are now trying to get back on active duty.

Personally, I always thought it was a great life for 22.6 years. Finished my BS degree while on active duty and went around the world a couple times. The most rewarding experience of all though was the opportunity to lead Marines and that's the best job in the world!

Good question...good luck to you.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-27-11, 10:15 PM
I got out after 4 years to go to college. A month after getting out I joined the reserves and went to the dark side and became an air winger. It just wasnt the same in the wing and the reserves. I got sick of the wing and left after my obligation to the reserves was up.

Looking back, if I was to give any advice it would be.... Look for something that you enjoy in an MOS. Keep a positive attitude. Maintain a 1st class PFT. Go to college while you are in online or on base. Build a good savings account and invest in good stocks and bonds through a private Vanguard account.

thewookie
02-28-11, 06:39 AM
I got out after eight years because I/my body was tired; I did just about everything I could have dreamed of doing while I was in; I travelled to more places than I can remember; I banged sooo many chicks from so many places that it became routine; AND the big one for me is I got our pre-911. Had I been in during that time, I'm sure I would have stuck around. But I had fun, met some great people along the way (many I still talk to), and I don't regret anything.

advanced
02-28-11, 08:22 AM
I went in for 4 years with the intent of only serving 4. I enlisted in the MC to go to Vietnam and fight for my country.

Prior to going to VN I was a squared away MP, spit and polish all the way. Then in VN we were the meanest, nastiest, filthiest Marines you could imagine. I learned to wash with dirt, we hardly ever got hair cuts and shaving was sometimes a weekly thing.

When I came home from the Nam I nearly passed out the first time I was able to get a hot shower, what a luxury many of you can not imagine.

Most people have the impression of Marines as the spit and polish MC. My experience was the opposite. Besides simply surviving my main purpose in the MC was killing the enemy. I and those around me became very proficient at that. As I was never hit or wounded my bud's said I had the Charm. People are told that Marines fight for duty, honor and country. That simply is not true. We fight to stay alive in the most unbelievable of conditions and to keep our bud's alive.

When I left the Nam I came home to the BS Marine Corps with a great deal of pettiness. In the Nam no one dared screw with us. After I went over 3 I was given several choices.

1. I was offered OCS again.
2. I was cut orders to become some kind of instructor at NAS Millington and pick up E5 Sargent. I was told I was going TAD to the wing and I found out later that Millington was a Navy base. That would have been some slack duty. Since my home was in Memphis at the time I believed they were trying to reward me for the Nam.
3. I was offered an 11 month early out as the war was winding down in late 69.

I chose the early out. I had accomplished all my goals; I had become a Marine, I had fought for my country and I found a deep inner confidence that remains with me to this day.

Looking back, I would take nothing for my experiences, but I would never do it again. After I was out a few months the cops snatched me up, they liked my war record, and I found myself back in my element. I was in the streets and the projects with enemy's who had guns all around me. Ahhhhh...... the Memories.

03Mike
02-28-11, 08:41 AM
People have different experiences and goals when they join - sometimes those experiences meet their expectations, sometimes they don't.

As a lot of folks have mentioned above, family has a lot to do with it. Life in the Marine Corps can be very stressful on your family. You'll spend a lot of time away from home - even when you are not deployed overseas. In the infantry, we were generally in the field Monday through Thursday, three weeks out of every four -- except when we went to Twentynine Palms or other training bases for six weeks or so. Wives and kids frequently have a tough time adjusting to that. Then there are overseas deployments for six months or longer.

Many go in with no family obligations, but tend to get families somewhere along the line. Many find that life in the Marines can be compatible with family life. Some don't.

Then there's combat - some find that being shot at isn't all that they thought it would be.

Then there's pay - some believe that they can make more money and have a better life in the civilian world.

Then there's opportunity - some believe that they'd be better off being their own boss rather than working within the chain of command.

Then there are those that aren't promoted and told to leave.

Obviously, there are a myriad of reasons, and the Marine Corps is not structured for everyone to stay in. There are obviously more privates than there are gunnery sergeants.

TazMatt
02-28-11, 09:05 AM
I got out after Six years in the Corps.I served four to begin with and got out and then reenlisted for another two. I was in Supply and enjoyed every minute of it and then the last two years I was at Parris Island running cash sales in a E-7 billet and had a boot LT. come in trying to change everything to his way.In short there was just too much petty bull going on. I look back on it now and wished I had put up with it ,because as I said I had it made and just didn't realize it at the time.