PDA

View Full Version : Are chin ups allowed? Frowned upon?

irpwns
02-27-11, 03:49 PM
Ive "heard" it dosent matter which you do; chin ups or pull ups. I just wanted to make sure, because chin ups do seem alot easier then pull ups. Are chin ups frowned upon by others or is it all the same?

I just wanted to hear from a first person perspective of the question, and I appreciate any answers regarding this issue.

achilles097
02-27-11, 05:39 PM
They are officially regarded the same, the only difference of course is grip. I haven't heard anyone ***** about grip preference. Both types of pull-ups train both the back and biceps. Even then, the extent that biceps are used or not used depends a great amount on the skill level of the person doing the exercise. Yes, chin-ups are easier, but I would also incorporate the two in a workout, but if I was doing an IST or PFT, I would use the grip which gets me the most points.

PooleeGewarges
02-27-11, 05:40 PM
The Marines probably accept both, but in my opinion, start doing more pull ups. The reason I say this is because many peopel do chin ups which works mostly your biceps but your bicepswill fatigue more than your back muscles because they are smaller. Pull ups help increase the strength of your back and you will not fatigue your back as much as you would your biceps. If you have a hard time doing pullups compared to chin ups, than start now building up that strength by doing pullups from now on.

Nerd
02-27-11, 10:15 PM
here's my philosophy:

IST/PFT: it's about score. they are not workouts. Do whatever gets you the most

PT: pull ups only. think about it - they are harder, so, the logical explination is they must be building something that is naturally weaker. And, you use the muscles that pull ups use to climb over walls and up mountains and ****

irpwns
02-27-11, 11:48 PM
With the pullups though, I dont feel my back muscles working. I only feel it in my forearms. That just mean my back muscles are alot stronger then my forearms?

IHaveEGA843
02-28-11, 05:59 PM
I dont know because I feel like that when I wasn't doing them correctly ie not coming all the way down.

When I begun doing them the right way each side of my back would burn and feel tight after I did a good bit of them or did 60 reps on the lat pulldown machine.

Today one of the fresh Marines told me to do chin ups but it feels ackward to me but he said doing those are a WHOLE lot easier.

PooleeGewarges
02-28-11, 07:13 PM
With the pullups though, I dont feel my back muscles working. I only feel it in my forearms. That just mean my back muscles are alot stronger then my forearms?

Trust me, pullups work your back. I nail 20 pullups on good days and before I used to do that I would nail about 15 or 16 pullups and my forearms would tighten up and feel mroe worked. The more you do pullups the less that would happen.

Tbrown10
03-02-11, 05:52 AM
when i was 15-17 i curled and did chin upslike every day so Ive always had bigger biceps so i do chin ups( palms towards me),may have to try the other way though.