PDA

View Full Version : Questions about DEP and contracts

HJ1895
02-27-11, 01:19 PM
Good afternoon Marines, I hope this doesn't annoy anyone, as I've spent the last 2 hours going through the archives for an answer. I just want to make sure I've got everything straight.

I've spent the past 9 months messing around with the MEPs, trying to get waivers for various things (kidney stone and LASIC), and this past week my bumed was approved. (huzzah!, finally!)

My recruiter wants me to go to the MEPS tomorrow to swear in, and I wanted to know what to expect, and if I should know/do anything specific.

As far as I can tell from the archives, I go swear in as an open contract, and once that's done, I get an actual contract later? I'm going Reserve, passed all the physical stuff, and scored a 98 on my ASVAB. My recruiter said that I'm eligible for pretty much any job open at the units around here, and has shown me a list of available jobs.

My question to you folks, is am I doing this right? I want to serve as a Marine, and I'm fine with most of the jobs available. Do I need to insist on some sort of contract before I go swear in? ( I take an oath seriously, and if I can't get a job at a unit within the state, I won't join)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really pumped to go and do this, as I didn't expect the bumed waiver thing for kidney stones to be approved, so this is like Christmas.

An about me; I've always wanted to serve, and circumstances made it so I couldn't out of high school. I'm now 25 and married, working for the family business and farm. I still want to be a Marine, and the Reserve is the only way I can swing this.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this,

H

jburke1983
02-27-11, 01:53 PM
As far as I know everyone does the initial swear-in under an open contract (at least thats what I did) and receives a tentative shipping date. The swear-in that you'll do here is for the delayed entry prgram only. Once you get back to your recruiters office he/she will sit down with you and go over possible MOS's. Your recruiter will then let you know when your new ship date is. The day before you ship is the day you'll do the actual swearing in (the one that matters) to active duty.

josephd
02-27-11, 04:36 PM
open contract for reserves??....I can't say this for sure but I believe open contracts are for active duty only,just so you can ship to boot.

If you are going reserve you should get contracted to a specific MOS based on your local/closest reserve unit and what they have available.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 11:34 PM
WELL DONE! Keep us in the loop.

HJ1895
03-01-11, 01:55 PM
I'm back and I'm in :D ( big stupid grin appropriate today). Ship date is Oct 11th.

Thank you all for the advice, Marines, It was appreciated.

H

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 06:11 PM
Congrats! Status changed.