PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo Dilemma

bgm0509
02-26-11, 11:23 PM
Marines,

Thank you for your time. I am college graduate in the process of applying to law schools in hopes of becoming a Marine JAG Officer, but I have recently read that the Corps has had a major crackdown on tattoos. I have two 1 & 1/2 inch black tattoos on the insides of my wrists (nothing offensive, just a small cross and a lower case "b" representing something very important to me). Am I DQ'd from service in the Marines since these are visible on my wrists? DQ'd from OCS? I got them at the beginning of college before I made plans to join, and they represent a lot to me, but if these small tattoos (80$ worth of ink) ruin my chances of pursuing my dream of entering the Corps, I will be absolutely devastated. I have yet to talk to an OSO because I worry that I will be denied permanently. Laser removal is very expensive and can take up to 6 months to take affect, but I will pay the money and wait if need be. Can anyone offer me some advice? Do they offer waivers? Once again thank you for your time.

-Ben

Silentwarrior17
02-26-11, 11:50 PM
Wavers for the OSO is a no go right now. With one being a cross and the other being a 'B' the only thing I can tell you is, to think of something that the 'B' can represent in religion. If you can come up with that they might, and I stress MIGHT wave it. Other than that there is nothing.

hussaf
02-27-11, 08:46 AM
Tattoo rules are BS and not consistent. Because of the inconsistency, those with decision-making authority will often err on the side of caution. The scariest trend in the Marine Corps these days is officer's fear to take responsibility for, or commit, to any kind of decision that might require interpretation, or judgement, on their part. Anyway, these may be the people who make the decision whether or not you will get waived. Good luck, man.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 11:32 PM
IF you get waived, let us know. Because in most of our experience here, waivers are well nigh impossible to get...and going for officer on top of that? I'd say your chances are about as good as winning a lottery for 300 million bucks. Maybe better with the lottery.

You want to be competitive? Have 'em removed.