PDA

View Full Version : How is Bahrain?

AdminAssassin
02-26-11, 02:22 AM
(my 2nd thread about this)I was wondering how it is being in Bahrain as a Marine? Everyone thought I was violating OPSEC last time, which I didn't by the way, so I'll keep my info at a minimum to avoid the complaining from last time. I'm going to Bahrain fairly soon and I'll be there for a while that's all im saying about my situation. I would like to know things to do there and what kind of facilities they have. Only post if your offering information for me.

devilbones2
02-26-11, 08:52 AM
Last time I was at Manama reminded me of a college campus. There is a schwarma shack and there is a pavilion where there are concerts and stuff. Pretty cool place check out http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/command/inbound.html

AdminAssassin
02-26-11, 09:28 AM
Thanks devilbones, very informative website.

CplVex
02-26-11, 11:30 PM
I'll tell ya..... I've been to Bahrain, it was a great time. You can walk from base to many bars and clubs that you WILL have a great time at. Enjoy yourself, and make sure you have a budget. You'll understand in time haha.

AAV Crewchief
02-27-11, 08:39 AM
You can't be too careful in any situation regarding opsec as I am sure that most of the enemies we have overseas are already reading message boards like these and listening to phone conversations, emails et al.

As for the place you mentioned, having just closed out a tour not far from that location, I would say that the OPSEC and Force Protection Level Skyrockets with the incidents read about on the internet and with the local news. I was on a base within a base in a country that is pretty much safe for tourists of all nationalities, but with the spreading of certain things going on I am sure upper leadership will clue you in once you are on the ground in your location.

AAV Crewchief
02-27-11, 08:41 AM
I'll tell ya..... I've been to Bahrain, it was a great time. You can walk from base to many bars and clubs that you WILL have a great time at. Enjoy yourself, and make sure you have a budget. You'll understand in time haha.

It ain't gonna be the same with everyone running around shooting weapons and at people just because they can. I'm glad I am not there because if it hits the fan, who do you really have authority to shoot in protecting yourself. Looks and sounds like a goatrope where we hole up in an embassy or at a base until the coast is clear.

AdminAssassin
02-27-11, 08:55 AM
Well, if s**t does hit the fan over there, we're Marines we know what to do. With the OPSEC, if my friends/family want to know about me going over there I just give them a broad generalization of it and keep specific details to myself. Also I flat out tell them I can't give them details like that.

Covey_Rider
02-28-11, 05:42 AM
Well, if s**t does hit the fan over there, we're Marines we know what to do.

Ok there Rambo haha. I highly doubt that you're going to be allowed off base with all of the demonstrations/riots currently going on. I currently work for the DOD and they're not even allowing us to fly into that country right now for any type of R&R etc. I would go with the assumption that you won't be leaving the base at all. Having said that, get a good work out plan going and bring an external hard drive for all of your movies.

Maybe I'm wrong about you getting to go off base. If I am, maintain a low profile and travel in groups. Don't draw any attention to yourself. People on this side of the world will be less tolerant of the things Marines do out in town. OPSEC/PERSEC is KEY over here. There's no need to talk about work over the internet, phone, out in town etc. So why do it.

Marine84
02-28-11, 05:57 PM
The Banana King working for the DoD!?!?!?! You go boy!

Covey_Rider
03-01-11, 01:58 PM
Yeahhh I made the switch. There are about 100k reasons a year that I did as well haha. Looking for more.

AdminAssassin
03-02-11, 04:50 PM
Regardless, I'm glad I get to go. I might not be able to go anywhere again for a while so I'll try to enjoy the experience as much as I can. Anyone know how much a deployment(s) helps for meritorious promotion?

Covey_Rider
03-02-11, 05:33 PM
You won't get any points towards your cutting score. Most boards are paper boards nowadays anyway so the deployment won't really help you all that much. If you're tied up with somebody else who has the same amount of points as you I'm sure the deployment can weigh in there. Outside of that I wouldn't get my hopes up at all.

I did just talk to some people in Bahrain and they're saying that all of the bars/clubs are still open. Apparently all of the demonstrations are occurring at they're government buildings. So for now guys are still cleared to go out in town. However you're CO will have final say in whether you're allowed out in town.