PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my recruiter....what should I do?

Spartacus5405
02-25-11, 07:02 PM
My recruiter has been rushing me and is totally acting shady. he made me go do my asvab last week and I got an 80, he interrogated me for like 4 hours telling me that his office might close, that the spot would be full by the time i was ready to do my physical and so forth till I caved in and made me do my physical reluctantly. On the way over there the next morning he informed me I was to swear in that day too. He also made me enlist open contract saying I could change it soon and that it was imperative I join the dep asap so I could secure my spot as 03xx, I did. now I found out that if i was eligible for pay because I'm under 18 (is it true) and my recruiter made no mention. Now after I'm locked in he has left me in the dust I haven't heard from him in a couple days when I thought I was suppose to lock in my job of choice which I haven't
I'm really frustrated, any advice guys?

DrZ
02-25-11, 07:45 PM
You are not locked into anything. You state you are under 18 so you can't sign a legally binding document. Your parents would have to sign with you.

Get a different recruiter and don't sweat it.

Silentwarrior17
02-25-11, 08:03 PM
The summer months will bring a huge influx of recruits to the depot. That being said, your recruiter might just be trying to get you a ship date (giving the benefit of the doubt here). With the Corps being as tough as it is now a day, I'd say go with what you are going through now. If you have passed up until now, you are golden. But what I can tell you is this...No matter what you recruiter or the SNCOIC of the recruiting station tells you keep going for the job you want. You have 1 yr from the time you DEP until you HAVE TO ship out. If you are already on the books, and have already sworn in you are golden. I'm not saying you will get what you want but there is a better chance now that you are in the DEP. Keep pushing and talk to the SNCOIC of your recruiting staion. Every month new jobs open up and depending on your district you might be in luck. Worst thing that can happen out if it, is that you go to boot camp (regardless of MOS) and become part of something that can never be taken away. Good Luck.

Spartacus5405
02-25-11, 09:01 PM
I feel like he's holding out bonuses and offers on me

Old Marine
02-25-11, 09:18 PM
Maybe you should pull your foreskin over your eyes and report to Recruit training when you are told to. Suck it up and try to become a decent Marine.

There was a time and not to long ago that when you enlisted, recruits never knew what their MOS was until the day before graduation.

It seemed much easier during my day, before computers, and cell phones, and ipods and all the other BS you guys have access to these days.

Silentwarrior17
02-25-11, 09:26 PM
All I can tell you is to worry about getting your Job first and then go from there. You don't join the Corps for a bonus, you join for a while bunch of different reasons but that shouldn't be one of them. If you think he is hiding something then ask him. But if you have already DEPed through him you are pretty much stuck with that recruiter.

Wyoming
02-25-11, 09:28 PM
Most didn't know until we were leaving ITR.

All I knew, I was to be a Winger.

Spartacus5405
02-25-11, 09:43 PM
Well I'm not joining the corps for money, if I wanted that I would have gone army or air force, I joined the marines because I wanted to be part of somethingbigger than me and join the elite brotherhood. it's just other ppl in DEP are getting bonuses for no damn reason and the one I was offered was 15000 to be a pc tech and I wouldn't pick that for a million dollars

03Mike
02-25-11, 10:09 PM
First - it's "Marines" not "marines"

Second - there are no bonuses for "Open Contract"

Third - I don't believe that they are paying bonuses for 03XX either. Too many guys wanting to be infantry.

Fourth - Your recruiter will take care of you, just keep in mind that you are not his number one priority right now - those poolees shipping next week are his number one priority. For you - you are the important thing at this point - - for the Marine Corps, you're not. Better get used to that.

Fifth - take the time to read your post before hitting the "submit" button. Punctuation, capitalization, spelling and grammar can help get your point across a whole lot easier.

As mentioned above - hold out for what you want. You've got time - don't ship until you have an acceptable MOS field lined up.

DanM
02-25-11, 10:29 PM
Well I'm not joining the corps for money, if I wanted that I would have gone army or air force, I joined the marines because I wanted to be part of somethingbigger than me and join the elite brotherhood. it's just other ppl in DEP are getting bonuses for no damn reason and the one I was offered was 15000 to be a pc tech and I wouldn't pick that for a million dollars

Other people are getting bonuses for a reason http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/02/marine-incentives-for-some-new-recruits-021311w/ .

The Marine Corps needs certain MOS's manned more than they need 03xx at this time.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-25-11, 11:01 PM
My recruiter has been rushing me and is totally acting shady. he made me go do my asvab last week and I got an 80, he interrogated me for like 4 hours telling me that his office might close, that the spot would be full by the time i was ready to do my physical and so forth till I caved in and made me do my physical reluctantly. On the way over there the next morning he informed me I was to swear in that day too. He also made me enlist open contract saying I could change it soon and that it was imperative I join the dep asap so I could secure my spot as 03xx, I did. now I found out that if i was eligible for pay because I'm under 18 (is it true) and my recruiter made no mention. Now after I'm locked in he has left me in the dust I haven't heard from him in a couple days when I thought I was suppose to lock in my job of choice which I haven't
A. Your recruiter is not lying to you.
B. You dont get pay during the DEP.
C. If I was offered a $15,000.00 bonus to be a computer nerd, I would take it and put it into savings. I would also get a pocket protector for my MARPAT uniform if they required it to be paid a $15000.00 bonus.
D. Your recruiter knows what he is talking about when it comes to the 03XX field openings and how to get you into a slot. Everyone wants to be a grunt. Because of that, you are in a holding pattern much like an aircraft is around an airport until you can land in the slot. That holding pattern is "Open Contract."
E. Just because it doesnt go your way, does not mean the recruiter is a liar.

Spartacus5405
02-25-11, 11:21 PM
Ok guys I understand sorry about the rant, if any I'll see if I'm eligible for the recon bonus, I have the gt score qualification and 7 months to get into shape. Thanks for the info guys and semper fi

Quinbo
02-26-11, 12:27 AM
Ok guys I understand sorry about the rant, if any I'll see if I'm eligible for the recon bonus, I have the gt score qualification and 7 months to get into shape. Thanks for the info guys and semper fi

I suspect that most of this post was made just to get a reaction and more than likely made by a troll.

rktect3j
02-26-11, 06:14 AM
He is just not locked on.

Semper Fi????

Holy crap.

And can I get a 20 year retroactive bonus?

Lisa 23
02-26-11, 07:14 AM
POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

Tennessee Top
02-26-11, 08:59 AM
Go talk to an Army recruiter and "be all you can be". They are not shady, never lie, will give you the exact MOS you desire, and a big bonus check. The USMC does not need whiners and your recruiter does not need you wasting his time. Wish there was some way for him to read your post so he knows how you really feel about him...of course, you don't have the balls to tell him what you think face-to-face do you?

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 09:48 AM
Go talk to an Army recruiter and "be all you can be". They are not shady, never lie, will give you the exact MOS you desire, and a big bonus check. The USMC does not need whiners and your recruiter does not need you wasting his time. Wish there was some way for him to read your post so he knows how you really feel about him...of course, you don't have the balls to tell him what you think face-to-face do you?

I just wanted to get an answer of whether or not recruiters lie, he's a great guy I've just always thought he was withholding information. Sir, I appreciate your honest input and reality check, the army is not the place to be like I have said plenty of times before. The Marines are the best.

Sorry M'am about using the "semper fi" without reading the rules of the site, I won't make that mistake again, and thank you for pointing it out.

SGT7477
02-26-11, 10:29 AM
Maybe you should pull your foreskin over your eyes and report to Recruit training when you are told to. Suck it up and try to become a decent Marine.

There was a time and not to long ago that when you enlisted, recruits never knew what their MOS was until the day before graduation.

It seemed much easier during my day, before computers, and cell phones, and ipods and all the other BS you guys have access to these days.
Exactly Gunny,:thumbup:, Semper Fidelis.

USNAviator
02-26-11, 11:54 AM

Great point Gunny. There is a scene in Full Metal Jacket where that process is shown. I think everyone but the character of "Joker" goes 03

UTexCody
02-26-11, 12:07 PM
Most recruiters usually are liars.

Gunz
02-26-11, 01:03 PM
Spartacus5405-

Marines don't lie. Your recruiter is a Marine and therefore he is not a liar. Maybe he's not telling you everything, and that's probably for your own good. He probably doesn't want to scare the little guy off. When I read your post I took it offense. Really? "My recruiter is a total liar what should I do?" I'm tired of the poolees posting disrespecting posts, and in my opinion you do not speak with respect. You sound like a spoiled little brat that's had everything handed to you your whole life. If a Marine is what you want to be then so be it, shut up, sign the contract and go to Boot Camp. :mad:

USNAviator
02-26-11, 01:51 PM

Michael have you given any thought to the fact that your recruiter might have access to LN and might read what you post? Woe betide you if he does

Gunz
02-26-11, 01:54 PM
Michael have you given any thought to the fact that your recruiter might have access to LN and might read what you post? Woe betide you if he does

:thumbup: I hope he does.:devious:

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 03:48 PM
I never said anything bad about him, I feel he withheld information it's nothing personal and I'm acting very anxious because I just made a big decision in my life and when you feel you've been played on something of this magnitude you tend to not be in a very good mood. Hopefully, I'll be able to get 03xx, but if something were to happen like the only remaining opening in the 03xx were to be taken during this time that I could have secured it then that would be too much. Does anyone see my perspective?

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 03:55 PM
Spartacus, it is still relatively early in the fiscal year, but with the 03XX feild, those slots get snatched up quick. By rushing you, he was trying to get you snapped in so that he can have a chance to get you into that field. You did say something bad about him, you called him a liar. You called him a liar out of your frustration. My hunch is that the longer you are in the DEP, the more levarage your recruiter has when trying to get you a slot. Besides, why should he lie? These days it is easy to make quota as a recruiter due to the economy.

USNAviator
02-26-11, 03:55 PM
I never said anything bad about him,

Excuse me......."My recruiter is a total liar what should I do?"

You don't think calling a man in uniform, serving his country a liar is bad? Son you got a lot to learn

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 04:11 PM
Spartacus, it is still relatively early in the fiscal year, but with the 03XX feild, those slots get snatched up quick. By rushing you, he was trying to get you snapped in so that he can have a chance to get you into that field. You did say something bad about him, you called him a liar. You called him a liar out of your frustration. My hunch is that the longer you are in the DEP, the more levarage your recruiter has when trying to get you a slot. Besides, why should he lie? These days it is easy to make quota as a recruiter due to the economy.

Ok, yes that's good I'm glad he rushed me because I can secure my slot, he's awesome because he bothered to take me while on leave, but I've been in DEP since last week and i was told another recruiter would do the rest (change the MOS) but like I said, it hasn't been done yet and what's worrying me is what if the MOS I want gets taken during this time when I should have already secured it. I now see I exxagerrated by saying he's a liar and that was a bit deep. I see that all of you can vouch for him and would trust him and his intentions so I will do the same.

Silentwarrior17
02-26-11, 04:18 PM
Funny how you back track once you get some info. What you should have done is come on here asking a couple of questions trying to find out what was going on. Or maybe you could've MANED UP and said something to his face. But instead you came on here spitting on him calling him a liar. Next time you have a question about the process, either ask him directly or come here and use a little tact instead of just
insinuating about stuff you know nothing about. Exaggerated is an understatement.

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 04:35 PM
Funny how you back track once you get some info. What you should have done is come on here asking a couple of questions trying to find out what was going on. Or maybe you could've MANED UP and said something to his face. But instead you came on here spitting on him calling him a liar. Next time you have a question about the process, either ask him directly or come here and use a little tact instead of just
insinuating about stuff you know nothing about. Exaggerated is an understatement.

True, but to my defense, if I wanted to go behind his back and insult him I would have told another person in DEP and said "hey my recruiter is a total liar and I hate him can u go spy in him" or something like that but I came here to try to get the inside scoop on what was really going on like you said I don't know what is really going on and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm glad you guys have faith in him because that means I have nothing to worry about in that regard, and it wasn't my intent to insult him if I did, it was a mistake

Silentwarrior17
02-26-11, 04:46 PM
Regardless of which way you split it, you did go behind his back. And how exactly is your DEP buddy going to 'spy' on him? LOL you have got to be kidding me. I guess the both of you are all secret squirl and sh*t haha. Trust that they will take care of you and just leave it at that. Your recruiter can only put you in the slots that are available to him and the district at that time. If you are still up in arms about it talk to the recruiter himself and see what might be opening for seats in the next couple of months. He is going to take care of you. If he is willing to run you around on HIS leave than trust that he will get you what you are looking for.

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 05:03 PM
Regardless of which way you split it, you did go behind his back. And how exactly is your DEP buddy going to 'spy' on him? LOL you have got to be kidding me. I guess the both of you are all secret squirl and sh*t haha. Trust that they will take care of you and just leave it at that. Your recruiter can only put you in the slots that are available to him and the district at that time. If you are still up in arms about it talk to the recruiter himself and see what might be opening for seats in the next couple of months. He is going to take care of you. If he is willing to run you around on HIS leave than trust that he will get you what you are looking for.

Ok thank you sir I appreciate you helping me find my footing

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 05:04 PM
Spartacus, I have some homework for you. Look up the word "tact" in the dictionary. I want you to write a paragraph on what you think that means after you have thought about it. This is something very important to learn early on.

SilentWarrior was dead on in pointing that out. Post the paragraph on this thread, and dont use the word "guys", but use the word "Marines" when addressing those on this forum. Let us go over that paragraph with you and give you some pointers.

BauerBrat
02-26-11, 05:30 PM
Spartacus, I have some homework for you. Look up the word "tact" in the dictionary. I want you to write a paragraph on what you think that means after you have thought about it. This is something very important to learn early on.

SilentWarrior was dead on in pointing that out. Post the paragraph on this thread, and dont use the word "guys", but use the word "Marines" when addressing those on this forum. Let us go over that paragraph with you and give you some pointers.

Mike

I have my doubts that will happen. BTW just checked out your profile....The Hebrew Hammer....very funny movie. Great satire

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 05:41 PM
really sir?

Gunz
02-26-11, 05:42 PM
really sir?

Holy sh*t, this kid has attitude!

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 05:44 PM
Mike

I have my doubts that will happen. BTW just checked out your profile....The Hebrew Hammer....very funny movie. Great satire

Bauer, Spartacus will do it. He has asked some outrageous questions out of innocence in a previous thread. I think he genuinely wants to learn. He just does not know how to ask us yet, but he is learning.

I loved the movie "Hebrew Hammer". Good stuff.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 05:48 PM
really sir?

Yes Spartacus. Really. Do it and we will give you personal experience on what it means after you write the paragraph.

USNAviator
02-26-11, 05:57 PM
Mike

I didn't realize this is the same young man with the foreskin problem. That explains a lot

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 06:04 PM
Mike

I didn't realize this is the same young man with the foreskin problem. That explains a lot

I am glad we got him here before his Drill Instructors get a hold of him. Let's give this kid a fighting chance.

USNAviator
02-26-11, 06:08 PM
I am glad we got him here before his Drill Instructors get a hold of him. Let's give this kid a fighting chance.

Well the first thing he needs is an attitude adjustment. Once that's accomplished the education can begin

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 06:16 PM
deleted. repost

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 06:22 PM
Ok Marines

Tact is the skill used to handle delicate situations. There are times and places for everything and sometimes it is best to be tactful when replying and not say something that can be offensive or inappropriate. When being scrutinized by people of higher standings, it is best to be tactful and just take it like a man. An example of this would be if a DI is criticizing me for not doing something properly, I should just keep my mouth shut and listen.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 06:24 PM
Well the first thing he needs is an attitude adjustment. Once that's accomplished the education can begin

Dan, that is a part of the education. I dont think this kid has an attitude problem. How do I say this tactfully? His questions are asked from a lack of understanding. That is more dangerous than having an attitude. Ge is real wet behind the ears. He has a lot to learn.

USNAviator
02-26-11, 06:29 PM
Ok Marines

Tact is the skill used to handle delicate situations. There are times and places for everything and sometimes it is best to be tactful when replying and not say something that can be offensive or inappropriate. When being scrutinized by people of higher standings, it is best to be tactful and just take it like a man. An example of this would be if a DI is criticizing me for not doing something properly, I should just keep my mouth shut and listen.

Outstanding young man. All great journeys begin with a first step :thumbup:

USNAviator
02-26-11, 06:31 PM
Dan, that is a part of the education. I dont think this kid has an attitude problem. How do I say this tactfully? His questions are asked from a lack of understanding. That is more dangerous than having an attitude. Ge is real wet behind the ears. He has a lot to learn.

Understood, if I can add anything just let me know.

Fair winds

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 07:01 PM
Ok Marines

Outstanding! Now, look back on this thread and find one thing you could have asked "tactfully" and rephrase that. After that I am going to give you a scenario where you have to give a tactful response.

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 08:42 PM
I could have changed this title from "my recruiter is a total liar" to "is my recruiter lying to me?"

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 08:46 PM
I could have changed this title from "my recruiter is a total liar" to "is my recruiter lying to me?"

How about, "Is there more to what I have been told by my recruiter?"

Here is your first scenerio on tact. Tell me how you would reply.

You have a wife or girlfriend and she says, "Does this dress make me look fat?" What is your answer?

rktect3j
02-26-11, 09:08 PM

You have a wife or girlfriend and she says, "Does this dress make me look fat?" What is your answer?
Yes it does.

Silentwarrior17
02-26-11, 09:13 PM
Yes it does.
Baahahahaha. Good ol' Honest Abe

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 10:15 PM

no it does not, but losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt

Silentwarrior17
02-26-11, 10:21 PM
ooohhhh...epic Fail! haha

Quinbo
02-26-11, 10:30 PM
Those pants don't make you look fat .... it's your fat that makes you look fat.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 10:33 PM
no it does not, but losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt

I set you up for failure on this one. There is no tactful answer on that question. So... you might as well say, "no, but your butt makes you look big in that dress" You are screwed no matter how you answer the queston.

In boot camp, no matter what answer you give is wrong. The key is to get you to think fast and give the most tactful answer at the same time to your Drill Instructor. They are looking for how you handle pressure. You will always be wrong in boot camp. Get used to it.

Silentwarrior17
02-26-11, 10:41 PM
He's learning though. Although I didn't like how he went about all of this, I'll give him credit for not running and shooting off at the mouth. Got some potential kid.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 10:51 PM
Spartacus, the first thing you need to learn is how to think, be aware, and be alert. You will be told what to do, when to do it, and how to do it in boot camp without thinking. However, you will be tested by anticipatory commands. A lot of people jump the gun without thinking before the command is completed. When they do in boot camp, there will be lots of pain.

So, start to exercise your mind to be aware and alert at all times. Listen to what you are told. Process it in your mind as you are being told something and execute the command. This could be from your recruiter or a teacher for example.

Spartacus5405
02-26-11, 10:52 PM
Thanks Marines you've taught me so much in so little time, if this is how boot camp is then by the time I graduate (if all goes well) I will come out a genius. I'm so excited for boot camp!

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 10:53 PM
He's learning though. Although I didn't like how he went about all of this, I'll give him credit for not running and shooting off at the mouth. Got some potential kid. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

He is a good kid. He just needs some work.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 10:58 PM
Thanks Marines you've taught me so much in so little time, if this is how boot camp is then by the time I graduate (if all goes well) I will come out a genius.

That's what I am afraid of. Your Drill Instructors calling you a "genius". It is not a compliment. Keep your ears open, mouth shut and your mind alert in boot camp.

Phantom Blooper
02-27-11, 05:58 AM
If I listened to everything I was told about the birds and the bees at your age.....I would have been screwing woodpeckers...because everybody lied to me!

advanced
02-27-11, 06:09 AM
If I listened to everything I was told about the birds and the bees at your age.....I would have been screwing woodpeckers...because everybody lied to me!

What is it that you would like to know?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 11:28 PM
My turn...it's good you were locked on, lad, because I started to burn when I saw the title of the thread. Had you not been squared away, and squared yourself away (thanks to the FINE NCO's and SNCO's and Officers we have here willing to work with you) I would have extracted you plain and simple.

Instead, I will merely change the thread title.

Also note that the one moronic/unhelpful post, stuck there by a REAL USMC officer who should know better, but sadly is a dipstick (you'll see those too) has been unceremoniously dumped. Color me unimpressed with HIM.

Spartacus5405
03-01-11, 12:09 AM
My turn...it's good you were locked on, lad, because I started to burn when I saw the title of the thread. Had you not been squared away, and squared yourself away (thanks to the FINE NCO's and SNCO's and Officers we have here willing to work with you) I would have extracted you plain and simple.

Instead, I will merely change the thread title.

Also note that the one moronic/unhelpful post, stuck there by a REAL USMC officer who should know better, but sadly is a dipstick (you'll see those too) has been unceremoniously dumped. Color me unimpressed with HIM.

Wait, what do you mean by unceremoniously dumped?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 12:11 AM
Deleted as not helpful