PDA

View Full Version : 4 year contract

mdsalern
02-25-11, 04:17 PM
I am wondering what would comprise an outstanding career for a single term, 03xx Marine?

Thanks in advance.

Tennessee Top
02-25-11, 05:29 PM
Smoking dope/drug abuse

Raping a Japanese girl on Okinawa

Stealing/shoplifting/misappropriation of government property/funds

Not showing up for formation/missing movement (unauthorized absence or desertion)

Falling asleep on duty

DUI/alcohol abuse

Assault/battery/spousal abuse

Not adhereing to the rules of engagement

Not following lawful orders

These are the reasons that jumped out at me off the top of my head but there are plenty more. There are a lot of rules and regulations making it easy to slip up and ruin a career; not only for grunts but all Marines.

mdsalern
02-25-11, 05:44 PM
I appreciate that it might be prudent to worry about what not to do, but I was thinking of positives instead of negatives.

Mwhite732
02-25-11, 06:10 PM
hm for an 03xx?... Kill good? Learn to lead and i'd bet just learn to enjoy your field. 03xx naturally hate life. If you learn not to thats prob good. But 03xx is the least promoting field in the marine corps by far. If you do make it, Your peers from boot camp could eas a SSgt, When your a Lance cooley. Best job in the Marine Corps though...

Silentwarrior17
02-25-11, 08:14 PM
Not every grunt hates their job there devil. While a lot of Marines EAS as a lance cooley, a good deal of us strive to do all that we can. While grunt life is trying, it is what you make of it. I made Sgt before 4 yrs, so it can be done. Now to do that, I never had to give anything up anything or sacrifice my free time, other than some MCI's that had to get done but most of them were done during working hours. A Good PFT, CFT, get your MCI's done, go to schools, learn as much as you can, and have some natural born leadership in you.

Now There really is NO standard for a 1 term Marine though. Some measure it as rank or medals but that is just them. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is, do your job and protect your boys. I have had a good deal of Marines that got out as a pfc(funny story), lance, or corporal that I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to hand pick, if I could, to go to combat with.