PDA

View Full Version : 27yr old: looking for first hand experience

calext
02-25-11, 01:24 PM
Hello Marines.
I am a 27 yr old wannabe going through all the preliminary processes of becoming a united states Marine. I actually started this process in May of 2010. I apparently have a skin condition that has drastically delayed my enlistment. It has been treated and cleared up and Right now I am waiting on a waiver.

Anyway, I am fairly new to this site and have found it quite useful in my research of different MOS's, experiences, motivation and other questions and concerns that have come up over the past 8+ months. I'm not sure that I have a specific question. I think I am just looking for is more first hand accounts and experiences from Poolees and/or Marines closer to my age. I see a lot of information posted by poolees 17-18 yrs old, right out of high school (correct me if I'm wrong), but I would think the experiences of a 17 year old joining the Marines and a 25+ yr old joining the Marines would be a little different in most cases.

I thank all of you for what you do everyday and I look forward to joining the brotherhood in the near future.

tdrt
02-28-11, 04:37 PM
Bumped because you deserve an answer

SlingerDun
02-28-11, 05:35 PM
I would think the experiences of a 17 year old joining the Marines and a 25+ yr old joining the Marines would be a little different in most cases.You don't have many candid opportunities to chat with fellow recruits about anything but the present. It's speculation trying to cypher an individuals history under these circumstances. But it's easier to recognize and discriminate age, so it's the "older guys" who literally have something to prove in a young mans (teens) world: A 28 year old recruit drops out of runs, vomits, lags, skates, repeat .. and eventually ends up at sickbay?! He better be crippled and well beyond his limits of endurance. Or stand to lose a ton of face, like forever.

The "kids" have doubts about certain old timers from the beginning, and watching that guy stand guard over a stack of rifles with a light duty chit doesn't digest very well when the rest of the platoon is getting thrashed for being silly recruits.

After boot camp you will get to know a few teenage Marines very well, and if you "simply" pretend it's cool hanging out with teenagers when in reality it's tolerance and contempt; they will know = tension and grief.

USNAviator
02-28-11, 05:52 PM
Hello Marines.
I am a 27 yr old wannabe going through all the preliminary processes of becoming a united states Marine. I actually started this process in May of 2010. I apparently have a skin condition that has drastically delayed my enlistment. It has been treated and cleared up and Right now I am waiting on a waiver.

Anyway, I am fairly new to this site and have found it quite useful in my research of different MOS's, experiences, motivation and other questions and concerns that have come up over the past 8+ months. I'm not sure that I have a specific question. I think I am just looking for is more first hand accounts and experiences from Poolees and/or Marines closer to my age. I see a lot of information posted by poolees 17-18 yrs old, right out of high school (correct me if I'm wrong), but I would think the experiences of a 17 year old joining the Marines and a 25+ yr old joining the Marines would be a little different in most cases.

I thank all of you for what you do everyday and I look forward to joining the brotherhood in the near future.

I see by your profile you've attended three colleges. Don't you have a degree? If so have you considered going the officer route? Your fellow candidates wil be closer to you in age but be advised they will be top physical condition

josephd
02-28-11, 05:53 PM
In boot camp you aren't going to see much of a difference, everyone is on the same scared $hitless page. Other than you knowing you are older than most and your DIs, no one else knows or cares.

The difference comes when you hit MOS school and the fleet/your unit when you see "kids" out ranking you and have to basically do what they say. Just remember, just like officers, respect the rank they earned. They can earn your personal respect later if at all.

If you are anything like myself, pretty outgoing, and know how to manage people and time. Your chain (fire team/squad leader,plt sgt. and plt. cmdr) will take notice, see your age/maturity, and put you in more leadership roles and ease up on the BS with you.

calext
02-28-11, 06:51 PM
Thank you for your replies. Those types of answers were exactly what i was looking for.

USNAviavtor, I do in fact have an associates degree but not a bachelors. I thought i wanted to go back to school last year to finish up, but me and school just dont get along. Basically, the only reason i went back to school was because my mother "thought it would be a good idea". My recruiter informed my about the Officer route, but Im 100% sure Im done with school. Its about time I started living my life and stop doing what others think would be "best for me".

03Mike
02-28-11, 07:55 PM
When I was stationed at Parris Island, I had several privates come through who were older - 27-28 years old. By and large, they excelled at recruit training. Generally, these guys had a better...

SlingerDun
02-28-11, 07:56 PM
... Im 100% sure Im done with school.hehehehehe cough cough:evilgrin:

Hamelink83
02-28-11, 08:55 PM
I'm an older guy and joined at 25. The older guys in boot camp were normally the ones that go unnoticed because they would do what they're told, when they're told. Like has been stated, we have more to prove to others, and yourself actually, on a physical level. Once you hit the fleet, you'll actually catch more grief about your age, it's mainly just ribbing by the NCO's. You'll quickly become frustrated with the younger Marines though, especially when your having to go by little kids rules because some 20 year old decided to get drunk and retarded. After living for so long under big kids rules then having to live life under little kids rules, it becomes frustrating.

One thing I have noticed is that if you can keep up with or better at PT than the younger Marines and act your age, you'll quickly gain the respect of your peers. You'll end up giving more life advice than you knew you had and become the voice of reason.

calext
03-01-11, 12:31 AM
hehehehehe cough cough:evilgrin:

I mean college school. haha. I am aware there's a great deal of schooling in Bootcamp and also in becoming as well as throughout a career as a Marine. Looking forward to the challenge!

AlohaMarine
03-01-11, 11:05 AM
Calext,

You would be a 28 year old PFC by the time you hit the fleet.

How would you feel about me;

-Putting you in a room with a 17 year old

-Assigning a 19 year old Lance Corporal to take you around base getting your **** together

-Coming in your room finger ****ing your **** every Thursday evening?

Because that's exactly whats going to happen at almost any unit you go to. You can't get upset, or your life will suck.

I had a 28 year old PFC who is now a 31 year old corporal who is squared away. I go to him for everything, and he gets **** done.

I also had a 26 year old PFC who is now a 29 year old PFC and is a ****ing idiot and I can't believe that in 3 decades on this earth he still can't figure out how to do his job, not get DUIs, and show any respect.

ds11
03-14-11, 04:53 PM
You'll quickly become frustrated with the younger Marines though, especially when your having to go by little kids rules because some 20 year old decided to get drunk and retarded. After living for so long under big kids rules then having to live life under little kids rules, it becomes frustrating.

Calext,

You would be a 28 year old PFC by the time you hit the fleet.
How would you feel about me;
-Putting you in a room with a 17 year old
-Assigning a 19 year old Lance Corporal to take you around base getting your **** together
-Coming in your room finger ****ing your **** every Thursday evening?

Calext,

These Marines hit the nail square on. I joined at 25 and turned 26 not too long after. The young Marines are extremely annoying and have boatloads of growing up to do. Hearing them "practice" cadence calling and quote drill instructors all day everyday is definitely aggravating. As well as the ridiculous stuff that they do that affects you and your free time. After being on your own for so many years then having to live like you do during your training, really can take a toll. But like a few have said, you can't let it get to you. Just dust it off and focus on your goals.

On another note, you will run into junior Marines that are closer to your age and you will find the ones you want to associate yourself with. Heck I've been through several roomates but I have two currently and are both 24. They sure aren't slackers and they are also fun to be around, on or off base. I even had one guy that lived across the hall who was 19 and I loved hanging out with him. His maturity blew me away. In a nutshell, be cautious of who you buddy up relay on your patience and professionalism. You will do just fine.

Good luck with your decision!

Semper Fidelis.:flag: