PDA

View Full Version : Is Camp Lejune N.C a good place to get stationed?

Jcastro64
02-24-11, 11:53 PM
I was planning to get stationed on the east coast and my recruiter told me that theres a high possibility that i will get stationed there. So is it a good base?Considering its surroundings, location, and if there are things to do off base. Also is anyone currently stationed there?

josephd
02-25-11, 12:18 AM
Being stationed somewhere is what you make of it, if you go in with a bad attitude about it of course its going to suck. But if you go in with an open mind and take advantage of whatever the area may have to offer then it will be a much better experience.

There is no saying where you will get stationed, especially by your recruiter. Ultimately it is not up to you or anyone else but a monitor at HQMC.

usmcmsf
02-25-11, 02:57 AM
**** no

TunTvrnWarrior
02-25-11, 06:57 AM
Make sure you get a car so that you can get away from the base and just be yourself. Jacksonville is an arm pit. But.... there are many places to go away from Lejuene to where you can have fun.

Kegler300
02-25-11, 07:40 AM
We call it Camp Paradise for a reason...

Tennessee Top
02-25-11, 03:33 PM
It was my first permanent duty station and I enjoyed my time there. It's close to the beach so naturally there is a lot of fresh seafood available.

Like already said, a personal vehicle will allow you to get out of Jacksonville and explore the region.

I would also add, I spent a number of years at Camp Pendleton on the West Coast and actually liked it better than Camp LeJeune. So, I would suggest you broaden your horizons and not limit yourself to one coast or the other.

Good luck.

Supersquishy
02-25-11, 04:35 PM
Wear a Wig and go to Greenville. College Town. J-Ville sucks ass unless you like to hang at Driftwood. Lots of po dunk town in the state but the womenz are plump.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-25-11, 04:51 PM
Wear a Wig and go to Greenville. College Town. J-Ville sucks ass unless you like to hang at Driftwood. Lots of po dunk town in the state but the womenz are plump.

A wig? Didnt the "Adams Apple" give you away Squish? :sick:

Jcastro64
02-25-11, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info fellas

Lisa 23
02-25-11, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info fellas

How about...Thanks Marines. They've EARNED it! :usmc:

Komenko
02-25-11, 10:27 PM
Stay away from the "Driftwood"!!!! your Gunny's wife might be working there while he is deployed! lmao

JeffG
02-26-11, 09:58 AM
If you like tattoo shops, barber shops, and titty bars...J-ville will be heaven

Jcastro64
02-26-11, 02:16 PM
Any party schools near jville?

Lisa 23
02-26-11, 02:30 PM
First, you'll go where the Marine Corps wants you to go, not where you want to go.
And.........instead of worrying about "party schools" near Camp Lejeune/Jacksonville, why don't you worry more about making in through "boot camp" instead.

USNAviator
02-26-11, 02:41 PM
Any party schools near jville?

Well there is one that comes to mind Eastern Carolina College of Embalming, major party school. :D

But seriously I spent some time at Cherry Point and got to Jacksonville a few times. You're going to essentially a military town and all that entails. The nearest college is in Wilmington. UNC Wilmington. The beaches are beautiful, especially Emerald Isl. I'm too old to speak about the female gouge

Want to leave you with some advice. Stay away from places like Pay Day Loans, Title Loans, they prey on service men. If you're short of money and can't join your buddies for a few beers then just don't go

Hope everything works out for you

doc h fmf
02-26-11, 02:48 PM
I HAD FUN AT GIEGER CAMP JOHNSON AND MAINSIDE, I ENJOYED CAMP LEJUENE SO MUCH THAT I SPENT 8 OUT OF MY 11 yrs at camp lejuene ooooooooorrrraaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Kegler300
02-26-11, 02:59 PM
I HAD FUN AT GIEGER CAMP JOHNSON AND MAINSIDE, I ENJOYED CAMP LEJUENE SO MUCH THAT I SPENT 8 OUT OF MY 11 yrs at camp lejuene ooooooooorrrraaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

You, sir, are a real Marine!

doc h fmf
02-26-11, 03:21 PM
Thank You Sir

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Gunz
02-26-11, 03:34 PM
Just fill in your wish list. I put East Coast as my first pick. I ended up getting stationed on the west coast. I really enjoyed my time at Camp Pendleton. I have also spent quite a bit of time at Camp Lajeune. I prefer Pendleton.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-26-11, 03:58 PM
I dont remember getting a choice on my first duty station, so they sent me to this lousy place called Kaneohe Bay MCAS Hawaii. Thems the breaks, but I did it for the good of the Corps. All that marching in the snow, in the desert on base was really rough.

Jcastro64
02-26-11, 11:47 PM
Well there is one that comes to mind Eastern Carolina College of Embalming, major party school. :D

But seriously I spent some time at Cherry Point and got to Jacksonville a few times. You're going to essentially a military town and all that entails. The nearest college is in Wilmington. UNC Wilmington. The beaches are beautiful, especially Emerald Isl. I'm too old to speak about the female gouge

Want to leave you with some advice. Stay away from places like Pay Day Loans, Title Loans, they prey on service men. If you're short of money and can't join your buddies for a few beers then just don't go

Sounds good marine thanks for the advice

Jcastro64
02-26-11, 11:50 PM
I dont remember getting a choice on my first duty station, so they sent me to this lousy place called Kaneohe Bay MCAS Hawaii. Thems the breaks, but I did it for the good of the Corps. All that marching in the snow, in the desert on base was really rough.

Haha i imagined hawaii being like a paradise and privelige to be stationed at.

hussaf
02-27-11, 08:36 AM
I've heard HI is a great staion, but a lot of guys I know from there are.......shady.

The 'wig' reference for Greenvile is b/c they don't often let Marines into a lot of establishments in towns surrounding Jville...Wilmington used to be like that.

Get a car, but don't get one in Jville.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-27-11, 10:31 AM
I've heard HI is a great staion, but a lot of guys I know from there are.......shady.

The 'wig' reference for Greenvile is b/c they don't often let Marines into a lot of establishments in towns surrounding Jville...Wilmington used to be like that.

Get a car, but don't get one in Jville.

I had that remark coming to me hussaf. Castro, hussaf is right. Get your car at home. Bring someone along who has bought a few cars and knows the tricks salesmen use. If you get a used car, have a mechanic check it out before you buy.

SgtThrasher
02-27-11, 10:54 AM

Good advise every serviceman should heed.I enjoyed my time at Camp Lejeune after boot camp in 65.J'ville is like any base town.Fridays at the base theater you could catch a ride to Atlanta or NY for weekend liberty, Camp Pendleton was good ,but 29 Palms was my favorite after I learned how to navigate around the state.

Rocky C
02-27-11, 03:43 PM
Camp Lejeune was the place to be in the late 70's.

Court street= Bars, Strip Joints, Tattoo Parlors and Fighting.

AHHH the memories :)

3043pog
02-28-11, 03:59 PM
Why are the towns around ANY military base so ghetto? Jax-ville was a dump in '89 and I'm sure it was a dump the moment the first E-Tool broke ground there! My advice is to request left coast if you're from the East,and vice-versa. The Corps will send you where they need you,but getting away from what's familiar will serve you better in the long run. I know/knew many Marines who had issues living in close proximity to where they grew up. That is not an indictment on all Marines who were stationed close to their civilian home. I'm just saying that it's a big world,explore it if you can!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 11:38 PM
I actually rather enjoyed J-ville (and so did my wife and kids). Both my daughters consider that their 'hometown' now even though we weren't there an entire enlistment. There is PLENTY to do if you just look around a bit.